Thread: A new mod Proposition

Default A new mod Proposition

Welcome to an original world of fantasy, wonder, and total war.

I have long had in my mind a world that I have created in ever increasing detail. And for some time I have harboured the thought of turning it into a mod for Rome total war. Unfortunately while I am an excellent description writer, an ideas and research man, and even capable of limited scripting, I have no gift for artistry be it modding, skinning, or concept drawing. I have tried, and I have failed. Some of my modding friends in this forum have shown interest in my world and work but are often too busy to assist.

And so I make a call to those modders, map artists, skinners, model makers, scripters and more who are interested in helping fulfill a vision of another world, an original world. The world, of Edom.

My world, Edom, is a low fantasy world. The setting is at the beginning of one of the greatest wars the world has seen and the map is focused on the Northwest corner of the main continent, though with sufficient interest it could be expanded. While many concepts are fixed in my mind that is not to say that input and ideas are unwelcome. In this project lies the opportunity for personal interpretation of my ideas and I am open to suggestions, and criticism.

If anyone shows interest I can post information of any sort, even start a sub-forum unique to Edom if enough people are willing to help. If no one helps, however, my world will simply continue on in my mind.

Default Re: A new mod Proposition

No one? Not even any questions?

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

I think a little more information is needed to pull in modders. Not only so that they know what the idea is but that they know that its the kind of project they want to be part of. They also need to know how much of a transformation the project is and whether they have the technical capabilities to be able to do much for the mod that others cant.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; 06-04-2008 at 20:20.

Building for the Future of METW

Son of a Camel Member anelious phyros's Avatar

yea, more details and how much you can do because the don't want to be the ones doing all the work. No sir.

I am capable of modding quotation files and diplomacy and I can work my way around starting forces, unit and building files and the like. I would write all of the descriptions and provide any necessary information required. The following descriptions are actually set a little ahead fo where I would want the mod to start.

Edom is a world I created some time ago. The game begins in the Northwest corner of the main map which I will post later. That is the known world for the start. It begins to the south with the great mountain range that marks the border with the Orc kingdom and goes north to the icy wastes of the pole. To the west the border is a great ocean and to the east is a great gorge whose depths are unknown and whose width is to the horizon. I shall begin with a list of the known nations.

The Kingdom of Ulta: This nation is culturally similar to a conglomeration of the American tribes, everything from the Cree to the Aztecs and Incans. The Ultans' capital city was once a powerful city of another nation, Genourita, that was left in ruin before the Ultan tribe claimed it as their own. The Ultans were a fairly minor player on the world stage until 5 years ago when their previous ruler betrayed his alliance with Genourita and overthrew it with the help of some other nations. Ulta is now the most prominent nation in the known world. The Ultans have recently devised a new system of local law enforcement by empowering groups of champions to protect its provinces. The primary races of Ulta are Humans, Green Men, and Great Apes.

The Empire of Genourita: Once the most powerful nation in the North and a beacon of honour and courage, Genourita is little more than a burned ruin these days. Most of the original Genouritan lands now lie in Ultan hands but several pockets remain. The first is the southern city of Solitarum that guards the pass in the mountains that leads to the Orc Kingdom. The second is the now independant island of Ashtoven. The third is a group of rebels in the north who aim to try and reclaim their lost lands. Culturally Genourita can be reckoned to Greece but with a heavy Scottish influence. Though all of its races are now under the Kingdom of Ulta, Genourita once included Humans, Neanderthals, Dwarves, Elves, Gnolls, Gnomes, Halflings, Satyrs, and Dryads.

Enorthance: Enorthance is a tribal nation that lays claim to most of the northlands and the frozen tundra. They remained neutral throughout the conflict between Genourita and Ulta. Now however it is rumoured that they are funding and assisting the Genouritan rebels in the north. Culturally Enorthance can be reckoned to ancient Germans and Inuit. The races of Enorthance are primarily human but include bear men and Sasquatch.

Malusia: Malusia is a desert nation that borders the great gorge and is surrounded by mountains with only one main pass in. Malusia supported Ulta in the war but was brutally crushed by Genourita. Malusia is now a broken ruin of its former self. Malusia is typically a very anarchical state with governments changing on a regular basis and only the laws of the strongest in place. Being a desert nation they have a very desert culture. Their primary races are Humans, Harpies, Ogres and Minotaurs.

Atliu: A city state upriver from Ulta. Atliu supported Genourita during the war and was nerely destroyed before the Ultan king was deposed and peace was made. Atliu is an entirely human nation and is ruled over by Lord Thuren whose daughter Beth is well known for her heroic efforts during the war.

Annam: Annam is a forest dwelling nation of humans in which the women have become the dominant caste. An ancient ally of Genourita, Annam was unable to properly render assistance during the war due to an invasion of its lands. They are very similar to the Amazons of Greek mythology but more primitive.

Diam'Tae: The Orc kingdom of the south. The orcs are ancient enemies of Genourita but oddly enough took no part in the war. They were distracted by a civil war which they eventually won. Rumours abound that they are on the move again and may invade what little remains of Genourita soon. They are culturally similar to ancient Mesopotamian nations such as Assyria and Persia. Their main races are Orcs, Goblins, Trolls and Troglodytes.

Other Minor Human nations of little import include Filithan, Tyccina, Myrmidun, Nortamno, Shekram and Calmane.

More information will follow if there is interest.

Part 2: General History: Known History:

Almost 400 years prior to the start of this campaign the Human tribes now living in this area where instead living in a distant land on the other side of the great gorge. Under pressure from stronger nations the tribes migrated south around the gorge and eventually up into the northwest lands. Genourita was actually among the last of the human tribes to arrive. Upon arrival they found many of the ancient nations there in ruins from wars and the Orcs pressing up into the north to take control. Around 300 years ago the Genouritan tribe fell under the leadership of a Martin Lukenwar who defeated the nomadic Asmite tribes and allied with the shattered remains of the Elven and Dwarven nations. By this method he started the Genouritan empire which grew through amalgamation of the races, nations, and tribes they aided against Malusia and the Orcs. Eventually the Orcs were driven back below the mountains for which they have never forgiven Genourita. Though small wars occured from time to time the Empire was relatively at peace for the next 2 hundred years. This was broken only by several wars with Malusia. almost a hundred years ago, about 70, the city of Ulatalar, which means 'Place of Peace' or more literllay, 'The place that IS peace', was attacked by the local tribes it was guarding because its garrison had been reduced due to needs of fighting Malusia. The tribes destroyed the city but their coalition fell apart soon after. As age and the jungle claimed the city the tribes began what is known as the Jungle War. A brutal war for dominance of the area. One tribe did their best to stay out of the fighting and eventually settled in the ruins of Ulatalar and renamed the city Ulta and themselves Ultans. Less than 20 years ago, the second king of Ulta, Qurek, was briefly deposed by an imposter who entered the war and took control of the tribes. He allied with several other nations and waged war with Genourita, betraying the peace they had had. The war saw much expansion of Ultan territory but the flase king was cast down and Qurek reigned again, restoring peace. A few months later a mysterious army of invaders landed on the Western coast and attempted to conquer the lands. The Ultan armies allied with the city states on the coast and defeated the invaders. In retalliation a counter invasion was launched which discovered the mysterious land of the invaders far across the great ocean where giant lizards roamed. The brilliant Ultan commander succeeded in conquering this land as well as the legendary Three Isles in the middle of the sea. He grew overconfident and ambitious and landed his troops in Northern Genourita instead of in Ulta. He successfully conquered almost all of Northern Genourita and slew all known members of the royal family. He perished in the siege of the Elven homelands but his legacy lived on granting the lands of Genourita to Qurek though he had not desired them. Though Qurek strives to this day to heal old wounds with the people of Genourita there is still a large amount of enmity.

Part 3: Common Races:

In my world I have my own names for races but for the sake of simplicity they will be referred to by their common fantasy names.

Dwarves: Known as Wurin they are one of the ancient peoples of this area. They dwell mostly in the northern tundra though many dwell on the island of Ashtoven. They have a very Saxon/Viking culture. Their provincial Capital city is Wuralf. Their racial mount is a white mane-less lion.

Elves: Known as Ae'Viln the elves are another of the ancient nations that was amalgamated into the Genouritan Empire. They dwell in the Marahu forest not far from Malusia. They have a very Japanese culture but with strong Celtic influences. Their Provincial capital is Yereth'Ha. They typically ride horses, Unicorns and Pegasi.

Halflings: Known as Gorgensians the Halflings are original denizens of this land but have always lived in the shadow of the Elves and Malusia. They are culturally similar to Dacians. Their Provincial capital is Salona. Halflings are not known for cavalry.

Gnolls: Similar in appearance to gnolls from Warcraft and D&D the Gnolls were part of the Genouriotan empire before Ulta took over. The best way to describe Gnoll culture is simply to say that it is very Gnoll. Their provincial capital is Textell.

Gnomes: The Gnomes, who are known as Dinazensa, dwell very close to the gnolls but live a primitive, yet philosophical, existance, dwelling in a series of caves. The closest provincial capital is Tour.

Kalraeish: These diminutive people dwell in the Southern Genouritan provinces. They stand about as tall as a man's thumb but while their stature is lacking their bravery is not. They are known for riding Mice and Sparrows and for bravely engaging foes many times their size.

Green Men: In appearance Green Men are simply humans with Green pigmentation but they are faster, stronger, and generally smarter than humans. They once had a great empire before humans arrived in this area but it was overthrown by the Orcs long ago. Green Men mostly keep to their tribes but many have migrated to the cities of Ulta and joined its populace. Green Men gain their pigmentation in the same way as plants and benefit from remaining in sunlight for a long time. Green Men are also known for their ability to blend with their surroundings in the same way as a chameleon. The tendency of Green Men to go through the jungle scantily clad to assist in this chameleonic property has led to the copmmon view of them as brainless barbarians.

Great Apes: Ancient rivals of the Green Men the Sentient Apes have known a long existance of being held in check by other sentient races and only recently have their tribes begn to be amalgamated into the Ultan Kingdom.

Orcs: Known as Tae. Though most orc live south beyond the mountains and hate all the northern nations, a small group of Orcs was abandoned when their forces were forced to flee from the north. These few surrenderted to Genourita and continued to live in a relatively small community in Southern Genourita. They retained their Mesopotamian culture and many served in the armies of Genourita before it fell. They typically ride horses.

Goblins: Goblins, or Dereth, live in the Orc nation but are unhappy with their treatment there. They have a very Egyptian culture for the most part, though not all, and their racial mount is typically a Quagga, a smaller, more donkey like, Zebra. When the rebellion of 6 years ago failed the goblins again became subserviant, but many talk of a new rebellion waiting to rise.

Humans: The most varied group of all. Better to consider humans by their nations than as a race.

Part 4: Important People:

King Qurek: Qurek is the king of the nation of Ulta, and therefore your chief employer. Briefly deposed prior to the Ultan War he is an advocate of peace.

Lord Thuren: The ruler of the small city state of Atliu. He opposed the false king during the Ultan War but now stands firmly alongside Qurek. He is renowned for his valiant efforts during the war.

Princess Beth: The daughter of Thuren and heir to the throne. She is well known for her exploits during the Ultan Wars and in particular breaking the siege of her city, Atliu. She is strong willed and capable.

Hamalcar and Hrunting: Two soldiers of Genourita who voluntarily guarded Beth during the War. They were instrumental in breaking the siege of Atliu and casting down the false king of Ulta. Now they lead a resistance in Northern Genourita despite Qurek's attempts to create peace.

Mordred: A disenfranchised noble from the far off Southern Kingdoms which lie below the Orc Nation. Upon being exiled here he comitted himself to the service of Genourita and assisted in defending Beth. During the war he successfully captured the rebel Dwarf city of Erax and founded the Organization. The Organization's purpose is to maintain order in these lands above and beyond any one nation and to help unify the nations. Mordred brought the secret of gunpowder to the Organization from the south and is attempting to keep it contained to the Organization to ensure a technological lead.

Joshua: The local governor of the city of Solitarum, the capital of the, still free, province of Southern Genourita. A courageous fighter but a commoner there are some who would like to see him hailed as a new Emperor of Genourita and refound the nation. Joshua fears an invasion by the Orcs and wonders how his small province can survive.

This storyline and world are copyrighted.
    Last edited by Tanit; 06-06-2008 at 04:58.

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

Great idea. Copyright? Does that mean morally or leagally, ie, published?
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

Morally, I've been trying to find an actual legal copyright place but for now I'm just appealling to the moral fiber in the community.

I can post a lot more if people are interested. I have begun expanding my modding potential I can do descr_strat, and name lists, and rebel ethnicities and I'm working on getting into other files. I have greatly expanded my work on my factions, units, and map. I even have some rough drawings I can post if any skinners get interested.

Witch Smeller Persuivant Member Fate's Avatar

From what i've read, it looks like a very good story, however, in order to implement it as a mod (as it would be a total conversion) you'd be best starting on a smaller scale, maybe a provinical campaign of the original war, and then if you have enough support, go on to create the full mod. It will require a lot of work but i wish you the best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug For A Butt
    Hmm... if the AI was programmed to emulate the most stupid Generals in history, that would explain a lot.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land! Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this point in time."

Thanks, thats exactly the plan, actually I was thinking of starting with some base custom battle info, a few units for a couple factions if any modellers/skinners are interested.