Poll: Would you be in favor?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Petition CA for MTW source code?

Default Re: Question to CA: Will you do this?

Entirely possible that they do - you can't know for sure as it's proprietary software.

It's always been marketed as a rewrite from the ground up since Rome 1 - it definitely seems like it. I believe that Empire was another new engine...

I wouldn't hold your breath for a source release however. It's long been speculated that the code may not even be CA's or SEGA's to release. Both EA and Activision may be involved when it comes to Shogun/Medieval 1 source...

Did anyone actually contact CA to see what they said on the subject of source codes?

CA do visit these forums and ignored this thread for 5 years and 5 months...

I cannot really comment further on whether anyone contacted CA and whether or not CA responded...

/edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by caravel 4+ years ago
    But anyway, they won't release the code so yes this is all hypothetical at best.
    (which is not something I actually get off on being right about (so far)...)
    Last edited by caravel; 09-30-2013 at 22:25.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

We'll get the source code when someone buys a old thumbdrive at LongJohn's garage sale and makes a pleasant discovery.

CA has been fairly unresponsive when it comes to STW/MTW queries. I forwarded along a question from Stazi to Mr. Simpson regarding the legality of a mod technique, and got no response back.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

One thing I do wish for is the fix for the newer video cards.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Well, after releasing the whole unmodified (since the last release) source tree there will be a possibily to build the project without CD-protection, literally making it free to play for everyone. I don't know if MTW is still being sold anywhere, but maybe this is why CA is not interested in releasing the sources.

At least with the Steam Edition of MTW, most of the bugs have been ironed out I think. With video cards too.

To be fair, MTW Steam Edition is quite stable and works very well. Just finished an English GA campaign last week!

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by virus_found View Post
    I don't know if MTW is still being sold anywhere, but maybe this is why CA is not interested in releasing the sources.
    They are afraid of the competition probably.. rivals could pick up about the battle engine..

The last time i saw a copy of MTW in shops, was in 2010 in England, if memory serves..

it was in the "basket sale" section and i remember taking it out of the basket rushingly and proceeding to the till, as i sensed i wouldn't see this happening again..

Can't remember anymore if it was for 5 or 10 GBP.. It was somewhere in downtown Leeds..

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gallum View Post
    They are afraid of the competition probably.. rivals could pick up about the battle engine..
    It's possible, though I think it also a case of apathy. Releasing the source code isn't going to gain CA anything (and it might reveal secrets about the game engine/conflict with the distribution contracts of Activision/SEGA/Steam/whoever), so why bother?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Few game engines are released for free, especially one on which a franchise is based. Also it's not like there is a single guy who created/owns it and can just decide to go open-source.

Think of Unreal Engine, a lot of games can be made with it but there are licenses and/or profit cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Releasing the source code isn't going to gain CA anything (and it might reveal secrets about the game engine/conflict with the distribution contracts of Activision/SEGA/Steam/whoever), so why bother?
    Indeed, they have potentially things to lose and nothing to gain.

Correct - now that it's been released for Steam, no reason to do so. They fixed the bugs so that's fine!

Proud

Been to:

My dog chewed up my installation CD and I'm too dumb to try to create a replacement. So when this old computer gets it up then I'll just have to pick up golf or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bunt0025 View Post
    My dog chewed up my installation CD and I'm too dumb to try to create a replacement. So when this old computer gets it up then I'll just have to pick up golf or something.
    Just get an old one from the flea market / Amazon. You will find plenty still available.

Or just use Steam!

I red all messages in this thread starting from the first... now that is 2020 they don't get almost any profits by MTW1, considering many people reviewed bad on steam and refunded game for glitches and problems with newer computers CA had a bad reputation in porting old games to steam and newer computers.

So, I have an idea... Considering CA or SEGA not accept free source code giving because they would accept to give the engine only in 1 case: make a remake of the game with their source code improving it fixing hardcodding things with newer graphics, diplomacy, sieges, politics, fixed bugs, new factions, units (remove hardcodding shit too) etc. but keep same risk style system and movement only with ehanced cooler map so we can earn a lot of money from all the veterans which would be excited to play a HD remake and divide profits with CA and SEGA so they have only to earn for profits I will give 50 percent of profits of sales to them so they should accept they should accept because actually MTW is going bad with steam sales due to problems and people refunding it either... Find a way to convince them maybe create a small modder developers team and ask rights paying first for permission and source code of engine... first we need to impress they with a good MTW2 or Attila or whethewer other total war game mod so we can have a good reputation with CA and they could sell the rights easier? There's a possibility for it?

Default Re: Petition CA for MTW source code?

Paying for rights should be reasonable because then they take half of profits either

So with mods on pathreon earn money and with that after ask CA rights for source code of MTW and if they ask money pay when we will get the money in exchange of the engine and promising them making a remake of the game and giving them 50 percent of profits by sales... tons of people will buy a modern graphics, diplomacy and politics MTW with more factions and units and features but keeping the simple risk style map... I think considering the game is abbandonware and paying for the engine and the rights they could accept at this stage considering we give them money and promise half of profits in their hands? They have a lot to gain or no?

With the release of Cyberpunk 2077 and the whole controversy that followed it, because it was such a hyped game and so buggy, and with the talk of lawsuits being sent CDPR's way, I think in the future we might not see any source codes released AT ALL.

Some companies did release source codes but this will be downright unheard of in the future. Legal risks. Says it all.

What are the risks exactly? They'll make the game free at that point and it's like an open source software, everybody use such programs. People can take donations/tips or Patreon whatever, like the streamers do..?

If the code is not public, that seems like just a licensing and making 3rd party game or expansion which is sold separately.
    Last edited by YanBG; 12-24-2020 at 03:11.

Since the game has been released on Steam, they are still making a profit - so making the game free at this point is probably not in their best interest if they can sell it for 2-3 EUR / USD on Steam.

MTW is turning I believe 20 years next year. That's quite some time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456