Thread: Roman Civil War questions

Default Roman Civil War questions

Hello, I am soon to initiate my first civil war in a long long time and need a few questions answers so I can do it as well as possible.

1). Will bribing family members of the other factions begin a war?

2). Once initiated, is it possible to get a ceasefire, or is it a battle to the death?

3). Assuming peace is possible, does the Roamn superalliance return, or are all bonds irrecribly broken?

4). Again assuming a peace deal is possible, will exterminating Roman settlements make it harder/impossible to get a ceasefire

Son of a Camel Member anelious phyros's Avatar

Default Re: Roman Civil War questions

1 -you can't bribe them until you're at war with them.

2 - Usally a battle to the death but if you're all powerful and they're wimpy they might ceasfire. Okay not really the AI is to stupid.

3 - Not sure but very positive on BROKEN!

4 - Probably not.

Best I could do, hope i helped.
    Last edited by anelious phyros; 05-23-2008 at 18:16.

Been there, conquered that.... Member Darkvicer98's Avatar

The Civil war happens when you gain enough popularity with the people of Rome the Senate and the other Roman Factions declare war. I think you win the war by conquering Rome and restoring peace with the other Romans but that was ages ago. I suggest you start to increase the armies in Arretium and Ariminium(if Julii)or Capua(if Scipii)or Croton and Tarentum(if Brutii). So you can be ready for the war.

1.No bribing won't start a war.

2.Most likely the Civil war will be a battle to the death.

3.I'm not sure but broken does sound more likely.

4.Most likely yes but leave the other romans and conquer Rome.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the dogs of War!

A brave man may fall,but he cannot yield-Latin Proverb

Arms keep peace-Latin Proverb

Post Re: Roman Civil War questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mahrabals apprentice
    No, but it will break all Alliance treaties with them. In the case of Roman factions, as said, this option will not be avaliable till after the civil war.
    2). Once initiated, is it possible to get a ceasefire, or is it a battle to the death?
    Ceasefires are doable after the death of the senate - prior to the senate's death the other Romans are still binded together through it.

Before the death of the senate, it is possible, but only if all Roman factions agree to the terms in the same turn. AI controlled Romans, when bound by the senate, automatically are set to share enemies with their fellow Romans at the end of each turn. This henceforth declares your ceacefire void. Negotiating with all the Romans at once is nigh impossible, so your highly unlikely to ceacefire through this method.

Regardless of the existence of the senate, these treaties are nigh impossible to get though, and are usually only workable with Romans who you do not share borders with.
    3). Assuming peace is possible, does the Roamn superalliance return, or are all bonds irrecribly broken?
    No - although factions which were never exiled will remain under senatorial control for as long as the senate lives, you will never be treated like a Roman again. In any alliances developed with these Romans, which are nigh impossible to gain anyhow, I would presume that you are simply treated like a non-Roman ally.
    4). Again assuming a peace deal is possible, will exterminating Roman settlements make it harder/impossible to get a ceasefire
    No - I do not believe that this is a factor in any diplomatic discussions.

Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-23-2008 at 19:31.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvicer98
    I suggest you start to increase the armies in Arretium and Ariminium(if Julii)or Capua(if Scipii)or Croton and Tarentum(if Brutii). So you can be ready for the war.
    Thank you for the swift replies
    I am playing as the Brutii (been away a long time so wanted my first long campeign to be an easy one). With regards to building up my army, theres 2 things preying on my mind. How many stacks and how to compose them? I just had the amrian reforms so have started building up my ultramodern (for 220BC) warmachine. I am building exclusively out of my temples of mar (giving 3 bronze chevrons to new units) in Cronton, Sparta and Corinth and my pantheon in Tarentum (only 2 chevrons). I am going for full stacks heavy on heavy infantry.

1 Family Member
    3 Archer Units (mainly creteans but some archer auxilia)
    2 Heavy Cavalry (legionary cavalry so far, but pretorians when I build the right stables)
    2 Light Auxilia (to stand outfront and eat the toher sides pilia)
    2 Auxilia (flank guarding)
    10 Legionry Cohorts

Does that seems a good set up to beat on my Roamn brothers?
    (I also have 1 army just for siege warfare, 1 family member, 5 archers, 4 Legionary Cohorts, 6 Auxilia and 4 Catapults)

I am planning for my siege army plus 2 field armies to march up the Italian mainland, 1 to cause trouble on Sicily, 1 to march on Norhtern Italy from ym Balkan province, and all my obsolete units to watch by Greek holdings. Is 5 full stacks enough or optimistic?

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What version are you playng??
    In v1.5 you can not bribe other romans