Thread: Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Default Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR

Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR

Hi all. This is the Prologue to my AAR. I don't have any house rules I'll just be playing for fun. Well without further ado here's my AAR. Constructive criticism is welcome though I beg you to please be merciful since this is my first AAR.

Edit: I forgot to add which mods i'm using. I also changed my mind about house rules.

Mods I'll be using
    EB 1.1 the mod of Kings!
    Force Diplomacy Mod

House Rules:
    1. I can only sack a province if it belongs to another culture. Celts will be allowed to become free citizens of Galatia.

2. I cannot destroy special buildings seeing as they can never be replaced again.

3. When any greek or foreign settlement that has an advanced school is captured said school must be preserved. Subsequently each family member that comes of age in the Gallic family must attend foreign schools for two years after spending two years in Celtic Schools.

4. Because of the Galatians recent migration from Gaul and the dishonorable tactics of the Aedui the Galatians are lacking in family members. Because of this The Verrix is forced to allow minor chieftains to lead Galatian armies. As such I am going to allow captain lead armies. But there will be a limit. I can have no more than 2 captain lead armies.

More Suggestions are welcome.

Prologue:
    The year is 272 B.C., the place Gaul. Two powerful tribes within this land struggle for
    supremacy and the right to turn the vast and diverse peoples of Gaul into a mighty empire. The Aedui confederation under their Vergobret, Cocolitanos, claim to be the direct descendants of the Biturges, and as such feel they have the right to rule Gaul and subsequently all Celtic peoples. The only tribe with the strength to combat them is the Arverni Confederation, ruled by Aneirin oi Lugos, Verrix (god king) of the Arverni Peoples. Though the Aedui have the ambition they don’t have the power to confront the Arverni in open combat, so they opt for the more dishonorable option, shadow wars. Soon, those loyal to the Verrix turn up dead under strange circumstances. Young men in the prime of life who support the Verrix die of diseases that afflict old men or are found massacred in their homes. Plague runs rife in the land of the Arverni. Bands of warriors with no apparent allegiance begin sacking villages, slaughtering and enslaving people by the thousands. Meanwhile, the Spies who have been placed in the Arverni Court of Gergovia by the Aedui begin to sway the popular opinion to Cocolitanos, saying “How can you’re leader be a God on earth if he cannot save his people from such disasters? Obviously, the Arverni have lost favor with the Gods.” The people believe them. Soon mass riots occur throughout all of southern Gaul and the Verrix is forced to flee. But to where? He cannot flee to the lands of northern Italia, seeing that not only do the Aedui own the outpost of Mediolanium, but to ensure the destruction of the Arverni and to strengthen their position in Gaul, they’ve allied with the men of the south, the Romani. Aneirin cannot flee to the North, because there lie the territory of the various Germanic tribes who’ve always been long time enemies of Gaul. To flee to Greece would be foolish seeing as they are still angered over the sacking of the Oracle at Delphi by Brennus. The Thracian tribes to the north no doubt remember with bitterness and hatred when they were defeated and their lands sacked by Celts. But messengers tell of place were the last of Brennus’s army fled after defeat. The place of refuge they found was in a land the Hellenes call the land Asia and the area these Celts supposedly inhabited, Galatia. Various mercenaries who’ve served in the lands of the east tell of a place of great and strange civilizations, all highly advanced, and full of knowledge and riches gathered and stored over the centuries. One man by the name of Segovax, a former mercenary who serves as commander of the Kings bodyguard, tells of his time in Aigyptos serving under the armies of the Pharaoh. There he said he found tombs for the great God kings of Aigyptos that made the tombs in Gaul look like caves. He said they were as high as mountains and strangely enough never cast a shadow. Hearing of this great land raises the spirit Aneirin oi Lugos. With a voice that could’ve shaken the very walls of Bibracte he shouts “To Galatia men! The gods will it!” The East is about to experience an event of such magnitude that it will be talked about for generations to come.

Next Chapter : Chapter 1 A King In Exile/A Friends Betrayal
    Last edited by Wolfman; 05-28-2008 at 06:47. Reason: Adding House Rules
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Default Re: Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR

Nice prologue. Looking forward to this. Deus lo vult!

Update: made some house rules. Expect the main story this week.

good luck with your first AAR, i found my first enjoyable until i ran out of spare time. Looking forward to your reign of terror seeing as every culture around you wont be celts.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm having trouble though with the move character cheat. It was explained to me how to use the cheat back in my poll thread and i checked the Descr_Strat file thrice just to be sure. Everytime I go to move Aneirin oi Lugos I'm unsuccesful. I typed into the console the first time the following

move_character Aneirin oi Lugos 175,125,121. The console said no such character existed.

the third time I checked I noticed that all the characters had arverni in their last name (Aneirin arvernioiLugos) so i tried this and its still not recognizing the Character. I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions? I keep getting the urge to sack pergamon i'm even dreaming about it!
    Last edited by Wolfman; 05-29-2008 at 03:46.

it should look like this
    move_character "Aneirin oiLugos" 125,136

i believe theres no second space and the " "s are crucial as without it, its only reading move_character Aneirin 123,145

using toggle_fow and show_cursorstat you should be fine.

I just imput the Cheat in like the following move_character "Aneirin oiLugos" 125,136 and it still said cannot find character. I did again move_character "Aneirin oiLugos" 125,136,155 still nothing. I'm going to keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman
    I just imput the Cheat in like the following move_character "Aneirin oiLugos" 125,136 and it still said cannot find character. I did again move_character "Aneirin oiLugos" 125,136,155 still nothing. I'm going to keep trying.
    try move_character "Aneirin arvernioiLugos" 125,136

Ok people i got the cheat working following Stunts advice. I just played the first chapter expect an update tomorrow.

Unhappy Re: Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR

What is going on with my most expected AAR of the year?
    (I hope you don't have some serious problems)

my balloons

don't worry this isn't dead. I've just been very busy with real life. I haven't played EB in a while but now that summers on i'll have more time.

Ok people i'm back. To all those who were expecting an update i apologize sincerely that i took so long. I've been busy with real life. But also a most terrible monster has been trying to take over my life almost effectively sapping whatever remaining stores of imagination I had from my mind. This black beast has no true face seeing that it can take on any form. It is in all effect a changling. But enough about that accursed thing. Here another mini update. Please forgive any incorrect punctuation or grammar.

Chapter 1: A King in Exile and a Friends Betrayal

Though Aneirin oi Lugos was a bloody man, he was not a senseless murderer. He had a sense of honor, a code that he followed vigorously. Years of fighting on the front line had turned him from an irresponsible youth to a stern, well tempered warrior. He was a responsible leader, a man who put his people before anything else. These lies were constantly being fed to the people to keep them under control. Those who apposed Aneirin kept their mouths shut out of fear because they knew he had direct control over the military. All his men, even the mercenaries, respected Aneirin and made sure that every command that was uttered from his mouth was followed to the letter. Though everyone knew of Aneirin the Great, no one knew of Aneirin the Deceiver. When he first entered into the world of politics he saw it was no different from the battlefield, the tactics where just more deceiving, and he reveled in that fact. Pretty soon Aneirin was sitting with the high members of the Bureaucracy and, being a very charismatic man and a polished politician, had secured himself as the next Verrix with the help of the right people. His speeches were always received with cheers and standing ovations from the people. After becoming Verrix Aneirin set to work. Under his reign Southern Gaul had witnessed a new era of peace. If it had not been for the treacherous deeds of the Aedui he could’ve united all of the southern tribes with little to no bloodshed. When he was under stress a very pronounced crease from an old battle wound would appear on his forehead. Veins would seemingly bulge from his temples and hands. Aneirin oi Lugos was a divine leader to the people but he was deceptive and down right devious in reality. He hid this from the people well though. That was until the night of Friday in the Celtic season of Beltane. It was on this night that it would be discovered by his sons that their father was not the great man that had always been presented, but a man of the basest character. Aneirin had called a meeting of all the nobles, druids, chieftains, and other prominent figures exclaiming through a messenger that it was most urgent they attend this hastily called council. Adcobrovatos oi Lugos, son of Aneirin oi Lugos and Taoi Arjos to the Arverni throne arrived first.
    When he entered the clearing where the meeting was being held he saw his father sitting on a stump, his chief bodyguard Segovax was on Aneirins’ left while Borvo the family friend and Kings chief advisor sat on his right (borvo is the aged retainer). Adcobrovatos immediately noticed from his fathers’ ill temper that something was wrong. My Verrix what ails you? He asked. The King looked at the Taoi Arjos for a short time than sighed and returned his gaze to the floor. Adcobrovatos gave his father a puzzled look before taking the seat Borvo had directed him too. Soon everybody of importance that had been invited to the meeting had arrived. At this moment Aneirin stood up and looked at all in the clearing before speaking. “As you all know we have been heading towards the Gallic owned land of Galatia for these past few years” he stated. Everybody in the room nodded in agreement. The king continued “I’ve just received a message of the most disturbing nature. Cacumattos, Gallogal Rix of the realm of Galatia, does not view us as an honorable ally.

Instead when he heard of our arrival in this land he immediately declared us an enemy. Furthermore when I sent a messenger to ask for food he refused and instead gave us dung and urine. He has also threatened me stating that if I sent another messenger to his hall he would send him back in pieces! Everybody in the room let out gasps of shock and shouts of outrage. Adcobrovatos was troubled though. He had met Cacumattos personally and the man his father had just described was not the man he had met. Cacumattos was not a man that took friendship lightly and he never went back on his word. In fact when Aneirin had proposed the idea that the fleeing Arverni tribes be allowed to stay in Western Galatia Cacumattos was all to happy to allow them to stay. He even offered to send them supplies which were sent promptly and Adcobrovatos had supervised. Though he had only met the man once Adcobrovatos couldn’t believe the words that were proceeding from his father’s mouth. He quickly looked in the direction of his brother, Amminos oi Lugos,
    and the family friend Belanos oi Lugos.

From what he read on both of their faces they were also troubled. Aneirin continued speaking. Cacumattos will be punished for his base actions not only because he betrayed the trust of a friend, but also because he broke his promise to a god! Tomorrow we will march upon the walls of Ankyra, overthrow the tyrant, and “liberate” the Galatian people. Who’s with me? At once everybody in the tent begin to cheer. The room was charged with energy and anticipation of the next battle. The decision was unanimous, the they attacked Ankyra tomorrow. And yet, even though their father was a god on earth the sons of Aneirin still felt that the words of their father were not true. The character of the man that was about to lose his life in the inevitable battle that was to come was not at all what there father had presented. But because of their loyalty to their father they kept their mouths shut. Great apprehension about the coming siege could be felt through the camp. Later that night Borvo could be seen sneaking about the camp. He was headed in the direction of Ankyra. While walking past a hedge he suddenly heard a low whistle. Borvo responded with a similar whistle. Suddenly the bushes began to rustle and a cloaked figure emerged from the shadows. Borvo recognized the face of the figure immediately. It was Conan oi Rugos, chief of the kings’ spies.

“It was brave of you to come yourself Conan” Borvo said admiringly. Ever since he was a child Conan had always been able to be where he shouldn’t and know what he wasn’t supposed to. It was for this exact reason that Borvo had employed him as Chief Spy after Conan had been caught eavesdropping on a supposedly private conversation. He almost got away with it but made the mistake of bragging to his friends. One of those friends had parents who were loyal to the king who, in turn, informed Borvo. Instead of chastising the child Borvo brought him to Aneirin and informed him of the boys’ talents. When Conan showed Aneirin and Borvo the area in which he had been hiding, right behind the kings’ throne, both King and Advisor were amazed. Now Borvo was looking upon Conan the man no longer the sneaky, mischievous little devil that he was as a child but instead a ruthless man who was willing to do anything for king and country including risk his own life. “Borvo!” hissed Conan, instantly startling the old man from his meditations. You better have had a good reason for bringing me out here because if not your wasting valuable time! Borvo returning to reality instantly began to inform Conan of his mission. The Verrix has declared war on Ankyra, we begin besieging it tomorrow- And, interrupted Conan, you want me to inform my cohorts inside the city to open the gates at the beginning of next season. No, Borvo stated bluntly, I want you to turn public favor towards Aneirin. I also want monthly reports of the situation inside the city including enemy troop moral. Well, Conan said, I can already inform you that they only have enough supplies to last them slightly over a year. “That should make things easier” Borvo replied. You have your mission now I must be getting back to the king to inform him of the news. Best you be returning to the city. With these final words the two parted separate ways. Conan vanished behind the bush and ran with haste towards Ankyra while Borvo walked briskly in the direction of the Arverni camp.

Year 272 B.C.

Chapter 2: The Fall of a True Verrix.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 07-04-2008 at 08:47.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Nice job! I thought this was dead but now I'm glad it's not.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

I was afraid that this was dead for a while to. I'm a bit of a perfectionist with things sometimes so along with all the other things i was dealing with this AAR almost came to a screaching halt. + that accursed black beast (cable television)
    Last edited by Wolfman; 07-05-2008 at 01:32.

good luck man i am about to start my first
    you may only live once

Just stop with the speech's and just fight

Check out my Makedonia Spartan AAR "Tale of a Makedonia Spartan"

Cmon Wolfman I wanna hear what you got to say. I have been fighting the Arverni for so long in my Luso AAR, it would be nice to hear an AAR about them. Back on task

Do not worry i've almost finished the story I just have to insert the pictures.

Hey people I have bad news. My dad decided to buy a new hardrive and make that hardrive the master and the previous hardrive the slave. When i went to go retrieve my story i found it missing. I can't find it so until i can find it this AAR is dead.