Thread: Strategic Online Game

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

The problem with the multi online strategic -- as my esteemed colleague ShingenCliff pointed out, is that AS PLAY STANDS NOW -- all players being equal (good), it will always degenerate into a 3 on 3 game.

The 2 Daimyos in the middle of the map, having to fight multi-Front wars should lose. While the corner players have an extreme strategic advantage. The game will then degenerate into who can snatch up those center Daimyos' land fastest.

You could almost predict who will be left after the first 10 season by where they start.

--------------------
    What could eliminate this?

Center Daimyo's would have to have their initial armies bulked up hard.

and/or permanent sea routes (ala the original board game) would need to be established between corner players to allow them to be attacke from more than 1 or 2 directions.

or add more players?

***** Obake has a hellova great idea with the online 40 v40 strat campaign -- everyone w/ a province. Everyone would be vulnerable then. Could work!!

Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

i like the idea of the single-province per player, but then everyone's gonna want to get Kaga or one of the more productive lands....no one's going to want to be stuck with, for example, the little island that seperates the Uesugi from the Ronin at the top of the map.

SOLY - good point. They would have to balance out the koku production with starting units or give the crappier provinces some pre-built facilities. Even 20 on 20 w/each player getting 2 provinces could be interesting.

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Well, if you don't mind being wildly ahistorical, one could allocate a starting budget of koku to everybody with which they have to buy initial units, facilities and a province. Province cost could be fixed (based on harvest, plus presence of minerals) or even by auction. Alternately, there's always the Risk-style distribute-the-provinces-randomly approach, followed by placement of troops...

------------------
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.

LAERTES - What u are suggesting (Risk Style or Purchase) will work great in a 20 v 20 or 40 v40 -- if they can get such a game to work.

However, in terms of the 8 player Strat campaign in place now, that still wouldn't alleviate the fact that whoever got stuck as one of the 2 middle clans would very likely be out of the game fast. The minute you wind up as a center player, you can kiss your butt goodbye.

In other words (assuming everyone plays even & no catastrophes occur) just by set-up you can tell who will be left standing midway through the game (it will be the 3 corner players)

Those 2 center positions are always fighting a multi-front war. That imballance somehow needs to be counteracted or addressed.

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

The balancing issues for the clans in the middle may be the reason that the Online Campaign has been delayed. Everyone assumes that it is technical issues that is delaying the OC. It might be balancing issues (or both).

We are also forgetting the alliance factor here. If I am Imagawa I make an alliance with Takeda and Mori where Takeda takes the land to the East I take Shinano and Mori and I divide Oda's lands. The weaker clans will need to ally to take out the stronger clans. Then they will duke it out afterwards.

I do like Soly's idea of starting with one province per clan. The initial land grab would be interesting. Would there be some Ronin presence in the non-clan owned provinces?

------------------
    All your base are belong to us
    All your base are belong to us

It would be cool the province would 3 or more castles.The Castle is more Koku?*sigh*
    Takeda war banner: Swift as the wind
    Silent as a forest
    Fierce as fire
    Immovable as a mountains
    EasyCo Dojo

Let me respectfully disagree with Shingenmitch2-san. Ok, if we were playing this with the original game, this is what I would do and here's my scenario. 7 players. I get stuck with say Oda and you get Mori. I must not war on Mori -you-, this is fundamental. If both of us are smart, we will both realize this and ally. You, Mori, expands west, and I go North. We may even agree on what rebel province's will take. I get Yamashiro, Ise and he can have Tajima and the small island with four provinces, with Sauki looking good -380 koku- and I guess Tosa isn't bad either. Now, the rest is tricky. I would like to think I would ally with Imagawa. This would protect his flank and allow him to concentrate on his lands on the other end of the island, bordering Shimazu, Hizen ect. Where could he go, that's worth taking, if he -Imagawa- didn't ally with me? Attack and take my Owari, my capital. I don't think so. Take my Mino? Naw. As I see it Imagawa is screwed as far as early expansion. Actually, I WOULD NOT want to be Imagawa. Now, he may ally with Takeda, since Takede's in the same situation with his lands near Mori, and Hojo and Usegua to his west and north. Takade doesn't want any trouble with Imagawa, but he's got plenty. My Ally Mori, with his right flank protected by an alliance with me, must clear out Takeda's Aki, Bingo and Hitchu. Now, where does Takeda have to go? Good luck. Musahsi? No way, if Hojo's smart, he won't get it. I see Takeda allying with Hojo, to divide up Uesugi, with Takeda taking Shinano with Hojo breaking Uesugi's back by taking Mutsu. Now, Takeda could really be screwed if Hojo decides to take Sagami, Takeda's pride and joy. What about Uesugi? He looks like he's in trouble to me. He's got a lot of indefensible territory and he will probably have to let Shinano and Hida go, and concentrate on Echigo, Mutsu and Dewa, right? He can't defend all of that. I think Uesugi's screwed..possibly. Does he ally with Hojo? What would Hojo gain. Free reign over Takeda's holdings, Sagami, Kai. And what would this gain Uesugi? Give him time to build up his armies and do what with them. Expand against who? I don't think that would work. If they did ally, then woe on to the rest of us. We, Oda, Imagawa, and Takeda would have to throw our combined weight against Hojo/Uesugi. But Takeda and Imagawa would still be screwed, because Mori is still cleaning up Takeda's territories and Shimazu is all over Imagawa

Anyway, I could go on and on. If you, Mori and me, Oda ally, we would not be in bad shape. I see you having more trouble than me. Let me know what you think.

Why does everyone think Uesugi's screwed? He has the best koku in the game, especially if he takes Hitachi first turn!
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

All things being equal, Hojo on Uesagi, with no others....Hojo wins. Hojo has one goal...take Mutsu

I like islands I like to declare. Nothing makes my heart beat faster than being the lord of all on a small petty island. Give me any province on Shikoku and watch me furrow my brows to get the whole island, settle back, and develop the lands for my children....ahh....

WE MUST STEM THE TIDE OF GIBBERISH!! ONWARD HO!!!
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.