Thread: Current Tasks - Hiring

Current Blue Lotus TW Leader Member Rinsui's Avatar

Default Current Tasks - Hiring

(2008/07/02)
    This thread will contain a list of the current tasks I could use help with. Most of it is very boring, but will speed me up a lot.

Hiring:
    * I would like to have a complete set of city level .cas files for the strategy map, and also a complete set of walls (right now, there are just 2 Levels that are re-used two times). Those who do not volunteer, step back please ^^/
    * My english language skills are not overly bad, I hope. Nonetheless, I'd like to have a native speaker check some of my unit descriptions etc.

In Progress by someone else but me:
    * New sounds for many units (Kitagata)

Problems solved and special tasks done:
    * Beautiful new custom battle maps and some new music (Ticu)
    * Realistic new animations for Katana, Two handed spears and a couple of other units (Kitagata)
    * Pointing out I uploaded a wrong version that will bring you more problems than joy (Spajjder)
    * Rebel units in custom battles showed white banners and the default roman interface - no more (Rinsui)
    Last edited by Rinsui; 09-11-2008 at 19:59.
    Rinsui

Default Re: Current Tasks - Hiring

A few tips for modding:
    - Before you start, make two folders. One will contain the files you are working on, the other will contain the originals of those files.
    - the structure of the contents of each of those folders should mirror the structure of the contents of the original RTW folder. That is: put each document you change into the same subfolder as in the original RTW folder.

Example:
    You want to change file X. This file is contained in Folder A of the original DATA folder of RTW. What do you do?
    1.) Make a folder called TEMP and another one called UNTEMP on your desktop.
    2.) Create a DATA folder in both.
    3.) Create a folder A within both of those DATA folders.
    4.) Copy file X from the original RTW you are working on in both of those folders A.
    5.) Start changing file X in the TEMP/DATA/A/ folder.
    6.) After you think you are finished, simply copy the DATA folder contained in your TEMP folder into the RTW root directory and let it overwrite.
    7.) If everything goes well: Rejoice.
    8.) If it doesn't: you know exactly what you have changed. After all, it must be something in file X, as this is the only file in your TEMP folder. Try to find the error.
    Repeat step 6.)
    9.) If you can't find the error, copy the contents of your UNTEMP folder into the RTW root directory. Things will be back to where you started from.
    10.) Get yourself a drink, or go to sleep. Rinse, repeat.

Rules for changes you make:
    1.) You are ultimately responsible for the changes you made. I don't have the time to test everything for you. Do it yourself. If bugs appear, you will know far better than me what the causes might be. Submit only perfect work (bug-wise).
    2.) Keep the changes you make to the possible minimum. Change only files you definitely have to change. Remember to tell me what you changed (readme!). Remember what you changed yourself ^.^/
    3.) Communicate. I (and other team members also) need to know what you are doing, or things will get very complicated and buggy very fast.
    4.) Submit files in the same format as described in the modding tips above, so I only have to copy-paste them. For security reasons, I will make the UNTEMP part by myself, so only the TEMP part should be submitted.
    5.) Submit only the files you actually changed. This is especially necessary, since I have to check what you changed - sometimes I have to modify the files you are working on on-the-fly to remove bugs, so I have to make sure your version and my version are compatible.
    6) I sound strict. I am.
    7.) Welcome to the team. Your help is what keeps us going, and without you we could not finish this in our lifetimes. Even if there is just a tiny part you can contibute: Please don't hesitate to ask, and I'll do my best to provide you with everything you need.
    Last edited by Rinsui; 06-13-2008 at 20:21.
    Rinsui

Posts updated (2008/06/13)
    Rinsui

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

If noone wants to do the bloody flag, I'll look into it if you like. Though it'll have to wait untill after the exams. (about two weeks). You might want pm to remind me though as I can be forgetive at times.

Noted.
    Thanks ^^/
    Rinsui

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Ah, thats what I get for failing to check the stickies :P

I was sort-of with the last group (read: Joined slightly before Hoggy was abducted by aliens), to fix up/write unit descriptions. Alas, my old file, which I had been working on, was lost along with my old hard drive.

I would love to come back and start doing descriptions again, if you require such assistance.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

First post updated (2008/09/11).
    Rinsui