Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Default Re: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Chapter 5: Defeat in Victory

The sky is dull. A moderate breeze is blowing from the east. Theodoros is squinting. The daylight hurts his eyes, not because the sun would be gleaming, which it doesn't, but because he still has a serious hangover and the new day still isn't welcome.
    This farewell banquet has been a little too much for sitting upright on a horse.

Almost a year has passed since he arrived in Antiocheia-Margiana and met his uncle. The following months he spend by training new warriors, by improving his own skills and by accompanying Achaios on excursions through the province, occasions on which he learned of the sweet margianian wine and made friends with it.
    Sometimes he thought about his wife Laodike and children, who still were in Seleukeia, but Achaios, who had experience with living at the edge of the world, taught him how to feel comfortable with how the things were and at large Theodoros was well.
    However, there were some duties waiting for him. Parnoi still were raiding seleucid land and Theodoros felt that his father would expect him to do something about it. So he decided to force them into submission, again.

The army has left Antiocheia-Margiana in western direction, marching deep into the land of the Dahae. People leave their homes, soldiers avoid a fight, while the seleucid host is slowly crawling forward like a centipede, through the meager country.
    Theodoros has been informed, that a powerful leader has his headquarters in a town called Nisa. This is where he heads to, in order to deliver a decisive battle, against the barely tangible dahaen horse armies.

Finally, after a long journey full of privations, Nisa is in sight. It is a small settlement, even without any defensive structures. Still, no sign of an enemy army.
    Theodoros has ordered his Arachosians, who have proven themselves as reliable scouts, to explore the vicinity, before taking offensive actions, but they have found no sign of a trap.
    The phalanx slowly marches forward. This should be no long fight, only a small garrison has been reported. But it smells so wrong! How can the Parnoi let them strike so deep into their land without even giving a fight? Theodoros is calm in appearance, but in turmoil inside, deafening himself against the uncertainty with a hearty draft from his wineskin.
    He watches his men overcoming the few enemies. Only a young warlord and his guard put up a harder fight – an opportunity to through himself into the heat of battle, where he will have no time for worries. Theodoros spurs his horse, leads his Somatophylakes into the mids of the fight, without any sense of danger. He hacks his bloody path through the enemy, inwardly unmoved, emotionless, until not one enemy is standing anymore.

Theodoros is still suspicious, he still fears a trap, so he takes drastic measures. All food found in the city is confiscated, all men estimated fit for military service sold into slavery. Theodoros is awaiting the enemy and a battle, his battle, but the Parnoi deny it.

A shame. They don't follow how it should be, they don't abide by the rules of warfare, how civilized people would do. How can someone stand this mess being sober? Have the gods deserted me?
    “Strategos!” A shout disrupts his foggy thoughts. “Strategos, the town is burning, we have to leave. Do you understand? It is burning everywhere. I'll get you out of here.”

No general, no army had the courage to meet Theodoros in battle, but women and old men fought on. They have put their own town on fire, on several places. A conflagration started and thousands decease in the flames.
    An army, defeated, but not in battle leaves behind smoking debris. The morale is low and the supply is short and now they fear battle, fear the host that has to be there, in the steppes, waiting for their weakness.

Hunger and austerity mark the men's faces. They have suffered on the long march that began when their supplies burned down, in the mids of the Dahaen's lands. Every day, they suffered thirst and hunger, every day they had to fear the enemy might descend upon them, until they saw the walls of Antiocheia-Margiana and they realize: he did not come. Theodoros, a shadow of his former vigour, leads the army into the town, defeated victors.
    Courtiers welcome him and he dismounts his horse. “I have to speak with my uncle, as soon as possible.” Unease is increasing around him. “Strategos, the satrap Achaios is dead.”
    A twitch appears in the corners of his mouth. Then, he slowly ascends the steps to the residence.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 06-11-2008 at 07:05.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Good update as usual. I was expecting a Seleukid Carrhae... guess it's still to come - hopefully. More dramatic to receive a beating before victory, no?

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Great update! I guess Theodoros started drinking, eh? I hope you have something in store with the Pahlava...

We will see :)

This AAR is great! More screenshots would be appreciated though.

Chapter 6: When lightning strikes

It is time. Time to return to a place, where a name has been made for oneself.

Sixty-six years ago Megas Alexandros passed the Kilikia Pylai, the kilikian gates, before descending into Kilikia Pedias, where he fought the battle of Issos. Now, another host came through the Pylai, in opposite direction, coming from the fruitful plains and heading into the mountainous Anatolia.
    It took a whole week until the army has completely traversed through, because the Pylai are just wide enough to let a packed horse pass. The chariots and heavy equipment had to be disassembled, transported by mules through the constriction and then put together again.
    It was a cumbersome transgression, but soon the plateau opened and the Taurus lay behind them.

The Basileus ton Basileon has assembled a strong army which he now leads into Asia Mikra and a contingent of armenian light infantry and cavalry who traveled along the persian royal road from Sophene add to its strength.

Antiochos is on his way into the heart of Asia Mikra. Once he has defeated the galatian hordes in a memorable battle where the battle plan of Theodotos Rhodios and sixteen elephants saved the day against the overwhelming numbers of the Barbaroi. The galatian advance had been stopped in this battle, the Greeks from Asia Mikra saved, a victory that gave him the name of Soter, the saviour.
    Now is Antiochos again on his way onto the peninsula, one of his greatest days in his mind. He always knew about the importance of this region for the prosperity of the kingdom, but he has not been able to impede the loss of influence, until only a narrow strip of land from Kappadokia through Phrygia to Lydia remained. Antiochos plans to get a firmer grip on the peninsula again.
    To achieve this, he has mobilized a grand army and his first strike will be directed at the Galatians, who rule central Anatolia and who have to be dealt with by anyone who tries to dominate Asia Mikra.

Early morning's mist still hangs in the slender dell. The men silently move forward. They are Armenians and used to mountainous terrain. Still without a sound they leave the cover between the hills and pour into the opening fields forming a crescent around the settlement that lies dozily in front of them. The circle closes, as the speed increases. In ghastly silence the men overcome the guards, break into the town, ingress the huts and houses, do their bloody work, screened by the horsemen who hunt down anyone who tries to escape.
    Like a lightning's strike have they come over Tavium, main settlement of the Trokmoi, on of the three galatian tribes, cutting of the tribe's head.

With the aid of local guides did Antiochos lead his men through concealed valleys, hiding his approaching army despite of its size, until it was to late for the Gauls to unite in resistance. The Trokmoi don't pose a thread anymore and the seleucid King heads for Ankyra, where the Tectosages dwell.

Ankyra is the largest settlement of the galatian invaders, the seat of their three tribes' council. Although the Tectosages have received word of the intrusion it has been to late to call for help from the Tolistobogioi who live in the west and to muster a large army.

Erasistratos, royal physician, is standing beside Antiochos' resting place. He is urgently addressing his king. “You have to stay in bed. If you go into the rain it may be your death and it won't even need a weapon. Look, you can't even stand on your own!”
    Antiochos laughs, a laughter that turns into a dry cough. “I am here to lead my men and i will do that. I won't give in for a slight cold like this.”
    Erasistratos is silently watching, while Philippos, the king's most esteemed retainer, helps Antiochos to stand up, the latter with a mien of defiance.
    Supported by Philippos he slowly walks towards the tent's exit, step by step. Antiochos addresses his Taxiarchoi and Ilearchoi: “Come! Come, my warriors! Let us show the men that their king will not be defeated by a fever!”
    A cough shakes his body, makes him halt for a moment and Erasistratos hopelessly shakes his head.

The Basileus has mounted his horse. He is tightly packed into a thick cloak, hardly sitting upright, while the pouring rain is running down from his helmet. His confidants worry, but the soldiers' spirits lift, as they see their Strategos seems well and is leading them into battle himself.

The army moves forward, approaching the gates. It doesn't not take long until the rams break through and the Pezhetairoi enter the town's rain-sodden streets, overwhelming the outnumbered and outclassed Galatians in a quick fight.

Another victory against the Gauls has been won and the threat seems finally averted and Antiochos Soter, shaken by fever and on the brink of death, receives the obeisance of the remaining galatian warchiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor1234 View Post
    This AAR is great! More screenshots would be appreciated though.
    Thank you! Regarding the screenshots: maybe there will be more in the future, but the specs of my notebook don't allow for impressive battles (and i'm autoresolving a number of battles), so screenshots will remain rare.

Edit: I have no profound knowledge of the greek language, so if i'm using wrong forms or spelling something wrong, i ask the experts to correct me :)
    I know you are there, somewhere ;)
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 06-15-2008 at 15:32.

As far as I'm concerned story>screenshots, so don't worry about them, although I guess some people are screenshotaholics. I think you could very well weave some gauls into your story, I happen to be a great lover of Galatians, and would love to see them serve the Arche Seleukeia. I think you can recruit Galatikoi Kuarothoroi (Galatian Heavy Spearmen) as the Seleukids, and those are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldaemon View Post
    As far as I'm concerned story>screenshots, so don't worry about them, although I guess some people are screenshotaholics. I think you could very well weave some gauls into your story, I happen to be a great lover of Galatians, and would love to see them serve the Arche Seleukeia. I think you can recruit Galatikoi Kuarothoroi (Galatian Heavy Spearmen) as the Seleukids, and those are awesome.
    In fact i conquered galatia to put there a client kingdom in order to recruit smelling barbarians for my armies

Edit: I just realized i made a mistake: the heavy spearman need a factional, not a regional MIC... Well, maybe i'll wait till the client ruler is dead and then set up a level 2 government. As i'm saving money for mines, a level 4 MIC would be out of reach for a long time anyway...
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 06-18-2008 at 09:53.

Hi folks! This update is a rather short one and without any creative writing, but i thought, i should give some sign that this is still alive. I don't know yet when i will have the time and mood to write something similar in quality to the earlier chapters, but i promise it will come some day
    So, here we go, just a little report in time-lapse (chapter doesn't even have a title, maybe i'll redo it later).

Chapter 7: Pamphylia

Antiochos has stayed in Ankyra about half a year. His illness forced him to refrain from traveling, but he had other reasons, too. Antiochos has learned of the ferociousness of the gallic barbarians and he knew well the quality their warriors possess and he knew that they could pose a dangerous threat if independent and united, but also a great asset to any commander.
    In the past months he had called the warchiefs to Ankyra, where he observed them thoroughly to learn their strengths and weaknesses. He cautiously engineered a hierarchy among the chiefs, playing them and their kin off against each other. A balance was installed that would ensure the loyalty to him once the army would be lead away, because in the end the strong would benefit from obeisance to Antiochos and would do what they can to preserve the set status.

The time of departure came sooner than expected. A message has traveled fast from over the seas. Ptolemaios II has violated the peace treaty by sending troops against Magas Kyrenaios, Antiochos' son-in-law and ally. Luckily, he had no success, yet, but the king was in need to take action.

Antiochos led his army southward, after arranging the last necessary matters, along the Taurus into Pamphylia. This region was subject to Ptolemaios, but little resistance was offered and the army soon reaches Side, the last ptolemaic stronghold in Asia Mikra. The town is unfortified and, although the ptolemaic Strategos has gathered all troops from the province there, defended by poorly armed and trained soldiers.

Despite this, they fought brave and many attackers lost their lives.

Ptolemaios II Philadelphos has to be unsatisfied with his generals, having lost all of his minor asian holdings in the course of few years.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 09-16-2008 at 16:25.

I'm glad to see an update.

I see you're sticking with chariot usage... amazingly enough I've played at least 5 AS games of more than moderate length and I've never used any... Guess I'm going to try them tonight to see what I've been missing.

I'm glad to see an update.

I see you're sticking with chariot usage... amazingly enough I've played at least 5 AS games of more than moderate length and I've never used any... Guess I'm going to try them tonight to see what I've been missing.
    Oh, i have them just for the sake of it Elephants are a bit too expensive right now

Got soul but I'm not a soldier Member Socy's Avatar

Just caught up with this AAR, amazing stuff, seriously . Love the writing-style of the first chapters (MORE OF IT! ). I myself have for a long time considered writing a Seleukid AAR myself, but due to shortage of time never have got to it. However, with yours around I can simply read and enjoy while forgetting the would-be project of my own AAR . Nah, one day I'll come around and write my own, but for now I'll just lay low and enjoy this truly epic AAR and perhaps draw some inspiration (Wich I sincerely hope you dont mind ).

Quote Originally Posted by Socy View Post
    Just caught up with this AAR, amazing stuff, seriously . Love the writing-style of the first chapters (MORE OF IT! ). I myself have for a long time considered writing a Seleukid AAR myself, but due to shortage of time never have got to it. However, with yours around I can simply read and enjoy while forgetting the would-be project of my own AAR . Nah, one day I'll come around and write my own, but for now I'll just lay low and enjoy this truly epic AAR and perhaps draw some inspiration (Wich I sincerely hope you dont mind ).
    Thank you very much! Go ahead, I would not mind

Chapter 8: Call of an ally

“Keraias. Tell me what business has lead you here.”
    Keraias Pergamou Mysiakes is a rather young man, considering his position. Being intelligent and charismatic he has drawn the king's attention in early years and was sent to Pella, to the court of Antigonos Gonatas, the ruler of Makedonia, in these days Antiochos' most important ally.
    “I bring word from Basileus Antigonos of the house Argeades who had summoned me to his chambers to deliver your divine greatness, Basileus ton Basileon, his bidding.”

Antiochos is waving aside. “Come to the point. You do not have to flatter me, as I am the one for whom you are speaking. Do never forget this.”
    Keraias slightly tilts his head in acknowledgment. “Basileus Antigonos asks his ally for help in a time of need. The Greeks don't accept his hegemony any longer and have formed a coalition under leadership of Athinai and Sparte, which has inflicted several defeats to Antigonos' army. The soldiers of the so-called Koinon Hellenon are standing in Thessalia this very day and at the same time is king Pyrrhos of Epeiros pestering him. Antigonos fears for his kingdom and bids you to send help. In return he promises assistance against Ptolemaios, once he has room to breath, again.”
    Antiochos stood up from his seat and slowly walked past Keraias. He is looking down on Sardis, where he had lead his army to resupply. He planned to march into Karia, where the important city of Halikarnassos was an ally of Ptolemaios.
    Antigonos Gonatas was the son of Demetrios Poliorketes and thus the brother of Stratonike, Antiochos' wife, but relations had little value these days. More importantly was Antigonos a significant ally, increasing the safety of Antiochos' minor asian holdings considerably.
    The Koinon Hellenon would also be able to provide the Ptolemaioi with naval bases all over the Aegean, thus posing a dangerous threat that would outweigh any victories that could be achieved in Kilikia, Pamphylia and Karia. A victory over the athenian and spartan armies could well be a decisive blow, causing the coalition to fall apart.
    “Keraias, go to Pella once more and tell my brother Antigonos the following: He shall not worry, for the Arche Seleukeia will grant him as much support as it can. He shall soon expect an army, if he sends a fleet to meet my forces at Ephesos to secure the crossing.”
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 09-17-2008 at 18:54.

The Macedonians are the most useless allies ever. I look forward to seeing them obliterated in the future... I'd say 9 out of 10 games I played they dissapear under a tide of Epeirote green... alternatively their southern possesions turn orange. Also that Keraias fellow has a traitorous assasin look about him.

Nice AAR going here, and excellent use of additional pictures as well. Could you post a screen of the mini-map, though? I'd like to see how your borders are going.

The Macedonians are the most useless allies ever.
    Practically, of course, but as there happens much in this AAR which is not practical in game terms, I have a somewhat different measure

Quote Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
    Nice AAR going here, and excellent use of additional pictures as well. Could you post a screen of the mini-map, though? I'd like to see how your borders are going.
    Thank you; I will include one soon.
    Btw, i'm happy we are using different approaches to the AAR, so hopefully the audience will lose interest in neither one.

Chapter 9: In Thessalia

The army marched along the old Persian Royal Road to Ephesos, where it boarded a small fleet of Kerkuroi. Guided and protected by makedonian ships they sailed across the Aegean, along the northern shore of Euboia and into the Pagasitikos Kolpos, the gulf that is enclosed by a tongue of land which stretches from the east of Demetrias in southern direction.

Instead of sailing to Demetrias, in the vicinity of which athenian forces were said to be active, the army disembarked in the port of Halos in the region of Phthiotis, in southern Thessalia.
    Local commoners told them that an athenian army has taken position near Demetrias and was trying to force the garrison to surrender, so Antiochos ordered to march north along the coast to meet the enemy and relief the city.
    Antiochos' scouts ascertained the enemy's troop strength and he secretly send a messenger through the greek position into the city of Demetrias to arrange for a joint attack on the besieging army.

The athenian and spartan soldiers, by far outnumbered, are commanded by Doros Aithalidos Attikos, son of the famous athenian statesman Chremonides. The makedonian garrison is under command of Krateros Argeades, the king's brother.

Antiochos, confident in the number and quality of his troops, choses a conventional lineup. The center of the formation is formed by the Pezhetairoi, an almost impenetrable core. The immediate flanks are protected by the Iudaioi on the left and the Thureophoroi on the right. The wings itself are formed by light infantry and the cavalry, on the left the armenian light horsemen and on the right, at the position of honor, rides the Basileus himself with his Somatophylakes and the Prodromoi.

(Yes, this is how a battle looks on this machine...)

Soon it becomes apparent that the plan does not work out exactly as supposed: The Makedonians yet engage the enemy, while Antiochos' Phalanx is still far away from the fighting. Luckily, the athenian commander choses to leave the field, seeing an unavoidable defeat coming.

Antiochos leaves the infantry behind and at the head of his cavalry he pursues the last athenians who had the misfortune to be unable to keep up with the main forces. Not much time goes by and the engagement is over, the Athenians and Spartans retreating up-country, while seleucid and antigonid Makedonians meet and shake their hands.

And here a map of the Arche Seleukeia, while Antiochos is on his expedition in Hellas, 264 BC:

Ha, two Seleukid AARs atop the forum, we're the masters of the world!

I like your last update. Actually, I'm also about to intervene in the politics of Hellas. Nice map, you've got more luck containing the Parthians (or your just better at it).

Quote Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
    Nice map, you've got more luck containing the Parthians (or your just better at it).
    I think they oriented themselves to the north after Theodoros fought back the first attacks and occupied (enslaved) Nisa for some time. Iirc, they sieged Asaak immediately at the beginning of the campaign but lifted the siege, when i brought some units from the east near. Then i reached Zadrakata just one turn after it fell, so it has been quite a close thing with them.
    I might do something to help them back into spotlight, later.
    The Sakai are more troublesome at the moment, i had some tough fights to keep Antiocheia-Margiane, but i'm not to eager to write repetitive battles...
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 06-29-2008 at 14:21.

I was looking at your formation, and I'm starting to think that I am in the minority when it comes to the way I line up my forces... 99% of the time I mass all my cavalry on one flank (when playing a balanced or infantry faction, not horse archer faction obviously) to provide the decisive flanking blow and rout signal for the enemy. I almost never cut my potential flanking power in half by splitting my cavalry into two lesser forces. I guess it's an ancient multiplayer habit where the mass cavalry battle on the flank often decided the outcome.

I was looking at your formation, and I'm starting to think that I am in the minority when it comes to the way I line up my forces... 99% of the time I mass all my cavalry on one flank (when playing a balanced or infantry faction, not horse archer faction obviously) to provide the decisive flanking blow and rout signal for the enemy. I almost never cut my potential flanking power in half by splitting my cavalry into two lesser forces. I guess it's an ancient multiplayer habit where the mass cavalry battle on the flank often decided the outcome.
    In reality, that would mean that even if you won the fight on one of the flanks, the enemy would have had all the time to make use of the other open flank, which could make your own troops rout even before you could use your victory on the other flank. Unless you have a natural barrier on the other flank, of course.

Chapter 10: The house of Apollon

Antiochos meets Krateros on the field, where they just have defeated the troops of Doros Aithalidos. “The King expresses his gratefulness for your immediate reaction. You also have my gratitude, as maybe i would be dead or prisoner by nightfall, if it wasn't for your intervention.”
    Krateros looks old and exhausted, leaning forward on his horse and dark circles show around his eyes. “My brother is in the north right now, fighting Pyrrhos' men.”
    “I have heard of that. You may send him the message that my soldiers will aid in this war, as long as it is necessary. I will march to the south to provoke a decisive battle against Athinai and Sparte, so Antigonos can direct his full attention to Pyrrhos, while the Koinon Hellenon for now shall be my concern.”
    Krateros is nodding. “I will tell him. May the gods be your shield, Basileus.”

Antiochos leads his army south along the coastal road. The towns and cities on his way open the gates and welcome him as a guest. They have heard of the army he brought and they fear his might.
    The soldiers are well fed and meet no resistance on their march through their forebearers' lands, but in Phokis Antiochos turns southwest, instead of entering Boiotia. The king seeks guidance from Apollon's oracle in Delphi, the ancient city below mount Parnassos.

Antiochos is standing in front of the temple, in the pediment of which Apollon is depicted, in company of Leto, his mother, and Artemis, his twin sister.
    The mighty king is clad in simple garment, nothing distinguishing him from an impecunious pilgrim. Just like any other Theopropos – one who asks the oracle - he has washed his hair in the sacred Kastalian Spring that emanates from the ravine between the Phaedriades, two cliffs at the southern slope of the Parnassos.

Then he has walked up the Sacred Way through the sanctuary, carrying laurel leaves, and brought a black goat that has been examined by the priests and sacrificed at the altar which once has been build in black marble as a gift from the Chians.

A priest beckons him to follow and Antiochos slowly walks up to the temple that is build with six by fifteen columns by the architects Spintharos, Xenodoros and Agathon.
    Antiochos, lead by the priest, passes the Pronaos - the anteroom of the building - and through the central hall. In the walls are sayings of wise men carved, guiding the lives of those who take heed.
    The Cella – the hall – houses an altar of Poseidon and one of Hestia, with unquenchable fire.
    Behind the hall is the Adyton, the backmost part of the temple. A golden statue of Apollon, the host of this santuary, is located there and steps, leading down to the chamber of the Pythia, where Antiochos follows the priest.

The ceiling is low and Antiochos has to bend down. He blinks to see in the dim room.
    The Pythia is wearing a hooded cloak, her face hidden in the twilight of the Adyton, a laurel branch in her hand. She is sitting on a tripod seat that is located over the chasma, a crevice from which the pneuma - the breath - of Apollon is emerging and filling the Pythia with the god's spirit and the room with steam.
    Beside her stands an eggshaped stone that is covered by a carving of a net: the Omphalos, which marks the navel of the world.

An unfamiliar odour is filling Antiochos' nostrils and he has difficulties to concentrate and see clearly. The priest who lead him, whispers in his ear: “You may now ask your question, wanderer.”
    Then he steps back into the shadows and leaves the king, now a humble supplicant, with the Pythia.
    Antiochos tries to gather himself, arranges his words and after some time, the amount of which he has no awareness, he speaks.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 07-05-2008 at 17:13.

Aargh! Oh the suspense...

What!? What's he asking!?

Great updates, Lysimachos. Good idea about the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    Aargh! Oh the suspense...

What!? What's he asking!?

Great updates, Lysimachos. Good idea about the pictures.
    Thank you One day you will learn what he is asking
    It takes some time to find pictures that fit, but i think it helps with imagination. These pictures even show what i'm talking about (Mt. Parnassos - reconstruction of the sanctuary in Delphi - Kastalian Spring). Maybe i should add where i have those pictures from, copyright and the like... Never know who comes by...

Don't know if that's necessary. I've never seen anyone giving copyright info to photographs in AARs. As long as you know where you've got them from, in case anyone asks, it should be ok.

Chapter 11: The Fate of Nobles

When Antiochos returned from the oracle, he seemed aggrieved with thoughts. He gathered his Taxiarchoi and Ilearchoi, still in his pilgrim's garment. He gave the order to prepare for march.
    “We have no time to waste. Athinai is waiting for us and we shall not disappoint her!”

Two routes lead from Phokis to the east: The southern one along the Korinthiakos Kolpos and the northern one through Chaironea and Aliartos, at the southern banks of Lake Kopais.
    Antiochos chose the northern route and soon the army reached Thebai, the once great city of Boiotia, which has been destroyed by Alexandros and rebuild by Kassandros, the son of Antipatros.
    The seleucid army still didn't meet any resistance, had to much fear and had seen to much bloodshed in the last years and even decades.
    The soldiers were confident in the strength of their army and in the wits of their General, but their leaders were worried. Among the high officers it was obvious that Antiochos' mood has darkened after his attendance of the Pythia's augury, but he kept undisclosed what she had revealed to him.
    While the host turned to the south, crossed the Kithairon mountain range east of Plataia and the certainty of a coming battle grew, the officers were conversing in secrecy.

The sun sets over Attike, bathing the sea of tents in red light, turning it into a sea of blood.
    The camp is situated some way from Eleutherai, the fortress that is the northernmost outpost in Attike. A handful of men has gathered outside, talking.
    One of them, a tall but rather lean Hellene, speaks in a low, yet authoritative voice.
    “It is foolishness to disregard the words of the gods! We all see his behavior! He must be knowing that he is leading us to certain death. There is no other explanation. We are one day away from Athinai. We have to stop this now or it will be to late!”
    Another man, clad in the armor of the Basileus' Hetairoi, steps forward from the shadows.
    “Enough! As long as Antiochos is King his word is law. Dare you challenge his judgment!” The tall man spits on the ground. ”Ah, Philippos speaks, the King's favorite lap dog. Where is your leash?”
    Philippos comes closer, laying the hand on the haft of his Kopis. He calmly answers. “Go ahead, Menedemos, speak forth and i will slay you where you stand.”
    The two men stare at each other silently, the others have backed off, enlarging the distance.
    “Oh well, Menedemos, you have bereft me of the pleasure to shed your blood. It would have made some things easier for you, you know, as in Hades you won't have to worry about an omen. But i can promise you one thing, you fool, tomorrow you won't march into battle.”

A new day has come. Messengers have brought word of an enemy army, outnumbering the seleucid host four to three, that is lead by Areus Agiados, King of Sparte and appointed Hegemon of the Koinon Hellenon, as well as Chremonides Aithalidos, Archon of Athenai and mastermind behind the alliance.
    The Basileus stands among his officers. “Today we will face what is left of the Hellas of old times. The days of the old poleis is over, once and for all. The future lies in an universal kingship formed by the best of west and east, just as Alexandros has realized.
    Across this plain stands the whole might of the Koinon, lead by their most important leaders. With a decisive victory today we will crush their coalition in one blow.
    They have more soldiers than we have, but i am confident. They fight in an obsolete fashion, while the core of our army is formed by professional and experienced Pezhetairoi, and our wings by skilled light horse from the east and the unequaled riders of Makedonia.”
    Antiochos pauses. He looks around and straightens himself.
    “I know, some of you are concerned about the prophecy of Apollon's oracle. I can reassure you, the word of the oracle is in no way bound to this day, but a message of personal loss.
    I did not ask the Pythia about the outcome of this war, because in battle, I prefer take my destiny in my own hands, rather than relying on the graciousness of the gods.
    So, now I request one thing of you: Share my confidence in this day and let us forge a glorious fate!”
    Cheer raises and at once they stand by their King as one man, again, except for Menedemos who early this day has already met the destiny of a traitor.

The greek army is deployed in two contingents: Areus, the King of Sparte, and Doros Aithalidos, Chremonides' son and one of the most promising young Athenaioi, block the route to Athenai, while Chremonides himself leads a contingent to the left of Antiochos' forces.
    This move from the numerical superior side forces Antiochos to adapt. He choses to divide his troops, too. The smaller part serves to hold back Areus' forces, while the greater part shall fight Chremonides' wing.
    However, the alliance's timing is not good: Too eager are Chremonides' men for fight and won't wait for the Spartan contingent. They rush forward to meet Antiochos' line.
    The Basileus sents his Prodromoi to engage the enemy cavalry, that is no match and soon thrown back. Yet they can't outrun the Prodromoi on their swift horses and are eventually overcome in close combat.
    In the meantime the light troops exchange some volleys and then the battle lines close. Antiochos sends his Armenian horsemen to engage the enemy's skirmishers, while he himself at the head of his Hetairoi as well as the Chariots turn around Chremonides' flanks and attack the hoplitai from the rear.
    The course of the battle seems promising as of yet, but the athenian hoplites fight with fierce resolution and Areus' men are advancing in quickstep, reducing the distance minute by minute.
    Antiochos turns his Ile Basilike around to take on Areus' cavalry. He also realizes that he has to reinforce the seleucid right wing, because it is facing a determined assault from Areus' Hoplitai, lead by the fearsome Spartiatai.
    The Idaioi are send from left to the right to assist in holding the line, while on the other side Doros Aithalidos is bringing his detachment around to strengthen his father's wing.
    The lines are locked now, fighting for every foot of ground. Yet, the enemy's cavalry is crushed and Antiochos gathers his horses for a charge, trying to tip the scales in his favor.

It is nothing left for a general, but to fight.
    The ranks are close, the xystons couched. Mere fractions of a second to the impact, but they stretch to eternities. Concentration is at its peak. Horse, man and lance are one entity, designed to kill.
    Some hoplites have turned around, but too little to make a difference.
    Impact, a blow, as horse and xyston meet steel and flesh, but the drive is hardly lessened. The hetairoi cut through the hoplitai like ploughshares through soft soil. Forth and forth.
    Then, almost through the lines, the charge is exhausted. Let go of the xyston and out with the kopis.
    Where is the Basileus? Still among the greatest of his soldiers, shouting and fighting, the impersonated warrior king.
    Philippos pushes his horse forward, trying to get by the side of his lord. He turns right, blocks a thrust, slashes his kopis in the enemy's chest. Turn around, where is the king?
    The hetairos fears the worst, abandons his horse, brutally hacking his way through the mass of iron and flesh.
    There – Antiochos is on his back, wounded, from the ground fighting off attackers. Philippos makes his way through to him, with a strong blow felling the Spartiates who is attacking the king.
    The Somatophylax shouts, calls his comrades to guard the Basileus, and they come, two handful of men, forming a circle around their master in the midst of battle.

The sun sets over a bloody plain. Philippos cowers beside his king, supporting him in an upright position. Antiochos coughs, a gush of blood pours out of his mouth.
    “My friend, how often have we fought together? This time will be the last.”-”No, my king, Erasistratos will be here soon, he surely can help you!”
    Antiochos shows a faint smile. A fit of coughing shakes him. His voice is feeble. “Philippos, there is one thing you have to tell my son.”
    The bodyguard leans forward, his ear close to Antiochos' mouth.
    The king's voice fades with his last words and the men's eyes meet a last time, before he takes his last breath.
    Philippos leans forward, the king in his arms and his face is covered with dust and dirt, beside two slender stripes, where the brave man's tears take their path.

The battle is over, the Koinon Hellenon has taken a defeat, but at what costs? Only a third of the men who came to fight this day, live to tell the tale. Among the dead are Chremonides Aithalidos and his son Doros, who took their last stand and died side by side as well as Areus, agiad king of Sparte, and Antiochos Soter, Basileus of the Arche Seleukeia, and uncounted numbers of promising men of highest social rank.
    Only the Barbaroi may rejoice, as the noble bloom of Greece has been lead to slaughter.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 08-02-2008 at 09:32.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Great progress so far, Lysimachos! Also, thanks for your comments about the vid I made and keep up the good work!

Maion
    ~Maion

Thank you! For the time of the next king I have some interesting storylines in mind and some more characters will play a role than have until now.

Btw, what i wrote about Doros Aithalidos, he really did leave his side of the battlefield to die beside his father in the battle, so i didn't need to make it up :) Sadly the screenshots all turned out black (it has worked before and i don't remember changing any options), so i had to write the battle without help for my memory (have played it some weeks ago) and without pictures.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast