Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Got soul but I'm not a soldier Member Socy's Avatar

Default Re: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Epic, as always! You really captivate the reader and even without fancy screenshots and the like your writing makes up for it by far. Easily one of my favourite AAR's on the forums. Partly beacuse its about my favourite faction, Arche Seleukeia, but also beacuse your writing is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Socy View Post
    Epic, as always! You really captivate the reader and even without fancy screenshots and the like your writing makes up for it by far. Easily one of my favourite AAR's on the forums. Partly beacuse its about my favourite faction, Arche Seleukeia, but also beacuse your writing is fantastic!
    Thank you for the kind words, sir, this is very appreciated
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Dont mention it! I should be the one thanking you! Just you keep up the writing

Dont mention it! I should be the one thanking you! Just you keep up the writing
    I'll try.

Chapter 12: Like Thieves in the Night

Night falls quickly over the plain. Many officers are dead or wounded and the army, although victorious, is dissolving, leaderless as it is.
    Those who are bold and reckless enough wander the field of battle, looting the dead for a cheap fortune, while the crows start their feast.
    Philippos and the other remaining Somatophylakes - not a handful anymore - left their adorned armor and have disguised themselves with simple cloaks, not to draw interest. They are carrying the royal body, protecting it from ghouls and scavengers and from the grasp of an unsuspected enemy.
    Avoiding the living they sneak over the field of dead. Among the wretches the honorable seem like thieves in the night, eager to secure their haul.

Off from the battlefield the small party captures riderless horses and heads north, to Boiotia.
    Near Eleutherai a larger contingent has erected a camp, hoping to gather the scattered remains of the army, but the Hetairoi don't stop, don't even reveal themselves to the soldiers.
    There is no time to be lost, to great the risk that the Athenians will be able to use their reservoir of men for a new force, once they learn how great the toll on the side of their enemies has been. Certainly, Chremonides has been an important figure among the Athinaioi of these days, but the loss of a single man does not mean much to them.
    Philippos is sure of one thing: Without the Basileus, the motivator and as confident as experienced commander, this campaign is doomed, so he and his comrades chose to save as much as they can: The King mustn't fall in the enemy's hands.

The small group is galloping through the dark, north through Boiotia and from Thebai to the east.
    The night has passed, the horses are shaking from exhaustion, but the men have reached the Euripos, the strait that separates the island Euboia from the mainland. At its narrowest point is a wooden bridge and across lies the fortress of Chalkis, a heavily fortified antigonid garrison.
    Safety, at least for now.

A fishing boat, a small vessel not prone to provoke attention, is meant to bring Antiochos over the aegean, his body conserved with vinegar. The king shall have a worthy valediction on his own soil, before beginning his very last crossing on board of Charon's ferry.

Nice chapter there. Perhaps not action-filled, but that doesn't matter. You're really building up the character and events on Antiochos, pretty sweetly aswell. Will you focus on the heir, Theodoros, now? If so, that would be awesome.

Nice chapter there. Perhaps not action-filled, but that doesn't matter. You're really building up the character and events on Antiochos, pretty sweetly aswell. Will you focus on the heir, Theodoros, now? If so, that would be awesome.
    It is part of my roleplaying that major military operations are carried out only by the King and Heir, because the leadership in battle was one of the sources of legitimation of the seleucid kings (in tradition of the makedones).
    This has the consequence that the action is mostly focused on those two persons.
    In the beginning the chapters were alternating about Antiochos and Theodoros, which changed when the latter was involved only in boring, repeated battles against the Saka, so the king himself and his campaign in the west were the only interesting story line.
    Now, of course, will Theodoros be the deciding man in the empire and thus come into spotlight again.
    As i have mentioned before, i will introduce more characters and more politics in future, but i'm planning to concentrate on the respective king and heir, their achievements and shortcomings, their virtues and vices, all along the AAR.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 08-07-2008 at 15:41.

Chapter 13: A new Agenda

The man gently slides the curtain away, only a small way, just enough to peek down into the hall. Down there the celebrations continue, celebrations in his honor. Music is playing and the people are drinking and feasting from his larder.
    The old king has been honored and now it is the new king's turn. He received the blessings of Apollon and Seleukos and the obeisance of the nobles. From now he shall be known as Antiochos II, granted the sobriquet Theos from the Margianians for his victory over the Parnoi and Sakai, a feat certainly only possible to someone of divine personality.
    Although he himself is often and with pleasure sacrificing at the shrine of Dionysos, Antiochos II is not in the mood to relish his daily serving of wine, at least not yet.
    Instead he called together the most significant men from the seleucid realm to discuss, or rather announce, some matters of importance; a decision that certainly strikes some of them, who are familiar with Antiochos' habits, with surprise.
    With a sigh he let go of the curtain and turns around to his audience. His gaze went from one face to the other, discovering eager anticipation in some of them, unconcerned annoyance in others, and also skepticism and scarcely concealed expectancy of decay.
    Antiochos' eyes meet those of Sarpedon, the youngest of his father's legitimate sons. Sarpedon's expression gives nothing away from his intentions and thoughts, the secretive mask of a schemer.
    Their eyes stay locked, like a strife to determine whose perseverance prevails. Antiochos takes the time to renew his memory of the younger brother, whom he has not seen for a long time, since he was send to defend the east, while Sarpedon remained in Seleukeia.
    Two years younger than Antiochos he still has a very gentle face, almost feminine, but he grows a full beard, perhaps to conceal this caprice of nature. Still, the tenderness of his guise seems to fit in his personality. Antiochos remembers, Sarpedon has always been the weak, the soft, yet cunning of both. And it has always been these two, as Seleukos, their oldest brother, who had been executed for treason, was way older than them.
    In their separation their differences have increased, due to the different paths fate - in disguise of their father - had in mind for them.
    Theodoros, as he was commonly called in the days before their father's dead, was baptized by fire, thrown into an ambience of violence and violence became his self.
    The ceiling of his palace was the sky and the dust of the steppe was carpet on which he walked.
    The vast regions in the east made it necessary to develop a sense for an enemy's movements, so he became a skilled scout. The constant danger forges a mutual obligation between commander and subordinates and a habit evolved to use the strong language common among his soldiers.
    The many battles made him a fighter who bears his scars as a proud veteran and a seasoned commander, who has become famous victor and is feared by his enemies for his bravery and respected among those with military insight, as he is a gifted leader and a great tactician.
    His brother on the other hand, spend the past years in Seleukeia, the new metropolis of the east, as a regent in all but name, while father and brother went to the most remote regions of the Arche.
    Sarpedon's daily work in these years involved negotiations and meaningless but sophisticated conversations with important citizens and delegates from foreign and exotic countries, so he developed to be a smooth talker and skilled debater. As an interlocutor of high format he also possesses some proficiency as philosopher and poet.
    Ruling of a great city as Seleukeia involves a lot of planning, so the practice made Sarpedon a skilled bureaucrat and supervising a number of ambitious construction projects made him a superior builder and great architect.
    In order to increase the greatness and importance of the city he knows few limits and he has already imported a number of exotic plants to add to the exclusiveness of the metropolis.
    On the other hand is he increasingly enjoying the life in luxury and among the leading families of Seleukeia he is known as a mildly extravagant gourmet of life.
    Antiochos shows a smile which Sarpedon answers, the uncomfortable tension of the moment is broken.
    The king steps forward in the middle of the gathered nobles and begins to speak, in the determined voice of a Strategos who is used to decide the fate of thousands in mere blink of an eye, not tolerating any dissent.
    "I have summoned all of you, because i am willing to clarify how some matters are being addressed, now that we have brought my beloved father to his well deserved rest."
    The king starts walking in circle his eyes jumping from one to the other.
    "First of all, has our former Basileus neglected to take effective measures concerning the insolence of Ptolemaios. Once again he has proven himself a liar and a cheat, once again he reaches out for Koile Syria. This has to be changed. I take it as my first responsibility to teach Ptolemaios a lesson, push his underlings out of Asia and thus secure the borders of Syria once and for all."
    Antiochos takes a deep breath.
    "Second. My father's expedition to Hellas was honorable and, in the hindsight, might even have rescued Antigonos' throne, but it was inviting attack on the empire's heartlands and jeopardizing its integrity, with nothing to gain.
    The Koinon Hellenon poses no threat and we have honored our alliance with Antigonos by sacrificing an army and a king. I want you - " His finger points on Keraias Pergamou Mysiakes, the Ambassador in Pella - "to confer with the Koinon's new leaders and negotiate a ceasefire."
    Antiochos stops in front of another nobleman in his late twenties, Apollonides Damaskenos, currently entrusted with the Satrapy of Phrygia. "You, Apollonides, will be responsible for the military safety of the Satrapies of Lydia, Phrygia, Pisidia and Kappadokia as well as the Ethne of Galatia. This is a strictly defensive mandate. The cities of Halikarnassos, Pergamon and Herakleia as well as the kingdom of Pontos all can muster respectable armies and will not hesitate to use any game of hazard to their advantage. I do not want this region at a risk!"
    The Basileus continues his circling.
    "One of our greatest assets is the position from which we can control every transition from the east to the west and the other way round. We have to take full advantage of this position. To do so, our trade routes from Babylonia to India, which are disrupted by arabian pirates have to be protected. As soon as our issues with the Lagids are settled, i will see to send an expedition which is to secure the southern coast of the Persikos Kolpos."
    Antiochos pauses again, thinking.
    "Ah, one other thing. In our struggle with Ptolemaios it is of utmost importance to present a counterbalance to Alexandreia as a cultural center at the Mediterranean. Thus it is of special concern to expand Antiocheia as a center of learning, that is able to lure the wise men from all over the world."
    His gaze falls onto the person momentarily in charge of the mentioned city and doubts arise, if this may be the ideal man for this task. Oh, Sosiphanes Beroias Syriakes is an outstanding personality, beyond question, a man with spartan discipline and above suspicion of any falsehood in his words and ways, a man with untainted loyalty, who bears the title of Olympionikes, but Antiochos believes that someone more... sophisticated... should possibly be preferred in his position.
    The king clears his throat and straightens himself.
    "So, if there is no question now, i will go and attend my festivities." A glance around over his silent auditory convinces him of the necessity for a thinking pause.
    "As i thought."
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 09-28-2008 at 10:25.

i have no doubt in my mind that this is my favourite aar, i have just started a campaign as AS and i actually find myself on occasion thinking, what would Lysimachos do....

i find myself reading this thread at least once per day in the hope that you have updated

keep up the good work

EDIT: you actually posted an update as i was writing this
    Last edited by Roka; 08-08-2008 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Roka View Post
    i have no doubt in my mind that this is my favourite aar, i have just started a campaign as AS and i actually find myself on occasion thinking, what would Lysimachos do....

i find myself reading this thread at least once per day in the hope that you have updated
    Thank you, i feel honored

keep up the good work
    I'll try to.

EDIT: you actually posted an update as i was writing this
    Now, that is luck, isn't it
    I first thought: "Wow, that is a quick reply!"

Truly epic AAR, I dare say that I favour this one more than my own! It's a dark time to be writing AS AAR's in. Yours is truly a source of great inspiration, but also a great source of "competition" (Dont get that wrong :)), almost to the point were you feel it needless to write your own when one such epic already exists!

So, this isn't really a chapter, but some things i wanted to include, so i made it an intermission. I hope i haven't confused anything with the family-things, not uncomplicated

Intermission: State and Empire

When Antiochos I. Soter died in the seventeenth year of his reign, the realm was left behind in a difficult, yet not unstable situation.
    His rule has seen unlucky and wise decisions. Although the struggle with Ptolemaios II Philadelphos has not been decided yet, Antiochos has managed to weaken his main Antagonist by wringing the southern coast of Mikra Asia from his hands and defending Koile Syria from any hostile attempts. Also has Magas Kyrenaios with his father in law's help managed to prevail against the ptolemaic power, still being a valuable ally and a threat to the western flank of Egypt.
    In the northwest the situation is indecisive. Antiochos I. had to abandon the claim on Thrace and others of Lysimachos' former possessions and he didn't manage to retain or restore authority over the rising hellenic cities in Asia Mikra, as Pergamon, Herakleia and Halikarnassos. On the other hand has he twice defeated the Galatians and the Seleukidai remain to be a major power on the peninsula.
    The eastern part of the Arche had little attention from the king and the transoxanian provinces of Sogdiane and the valley of Fergana had to be abandoned, but under leadership of his brother Achaios and later his heir a measure of stability has been retained.
    After all, it seems if the late Basileus failed to pursue a certain goal in his decisions. A sign for this poses Antiochos' I. intervention in Hellas, which lead to his death. Some say that the failure of this campaign is caused by a lack of preparation and a goal that was to be achieved.

The Arche Seleukeia is set on two pillars, which are the seleukid state and the seleukid empire. The state is private property of the king and subject to a strict centralist bureaucracy, while the parts of the empire are formally autonomous and owe loyalty only to the Basileus ton Basileon himself. These can be Poleis which have been installed all over the seleukid realm, a Dynasteia with an own king such as Sophene or an Ethne that is formed by a certain people, as the Galatians.
    Because of the loose bond the loyalty of these entities largely depends on the personal authority of the Basileus. While several nominal subjects of the Arche have been alienated during the reign of Antiochos I., because he has not been able to let them feel the presence of their overlord in a sufficient way, and are now independent in all but name, none of them has yet dared to make this official - for now - as the new King, Antiochos II Theos, has made himself a reputation as a more than capable Strategos and a determined and ruthless leader.

Antiochos II is related - by blood or by marriage - to the most important Diadochoi dynasties:
    From his fathers side he is the grandson of Seleukos Nikator, who himself was the son of divine Apollon. From his mother Stratonike's side he descends from the Argeades dynasty, the kin of Megas Alexandros himself; the king of Makedonia Antigonos Gonatas being his uncle, Demetrios Poliorketes his grandfather and Antigonos Monophtalmos his great grandfather. Demetrios' wife Phila, Antiochos' II grandmother, was the daughter of Antipatros and sister to Kassandros and Eurydike, the third wife of Ptolemaios I. Soter, who in turn was the father to the aging but still reigning Ptolemaios II Philadelphos and Arsinoe, the widow of Lysimachos, who later married her own brother.
    At last, his sister Apame is married to Magas, the king of the Kyrenaika, who is a halfbrother of Ptolemaios II.

The expectations among the nobles and educated towards Antiochos' II reign are only clear in one point: The one thing the new king is best at undoubtedly is leading his men into battle. No single enemy may hope to stand against the seleukid armies, but will the Basileus prove the critics wrong and show himself to be a politician, adept enough to avoid a fight against to many enemies, that would inevitably result in violent downfall?
    And what is behind the prophecy that Antiochos I. received from the delphian Pythia and that he shared with his most appreciated Hetairos, in his last breath? Has Apollon's mouth only revealed the hour of his death or is there more than that?
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 09-29-2008 at 18:12.

Truly epic AAR, I dare say that I favour this one more than my own! It's a dark time to be writing AS AAR's in. Yours is truly a source of great inspiration, but also a great source of "competition" (Dont get that wrong :)), almost to the point were you feel it needless to write your own when one such epic already exists!
    Thank you! It is said, that competition is something beneficial I think, as long as everyone has kind of his own style there is no need to get worried about other AARs about the same faction.
    On the other hand it can of course be more motivating if one has the only active one. In fact that has been part of the decision to start this, but i'm not considering to stop, just because a whole wave of AS-AARs has started
    Sorry for not answering earlier, i must have accidentaly marked this read without actually having seen it.

Chapter 14: Phoinike

The last guest of the day was about to leave. Antiochos II has been asked to dismiss the guards and he complied, because he knew he didn't have to fear, as the loyalty of this man was not in question.
    Theos stands up and makes some steps towards his guest.
    "You have my gratitude for everything you have done for my father and through him, for me. I will take care personally that you will be guerdoned adequately for this. The..." He pauses shortly.
    "... other matter we discussed, will be on my mind. Your part in this now is done and you will forget this conversation and that you ever heard about it, in the first place. This is, as you certainly understand, an order."
    The two men's looks meet in silent agreement. "You are now free to go." - "Sire."

To set about his plans Antiochos Theos mustered a new army, which was due to the lack of time not as large or qualified as the one that had dissolved after the battle of the Kephisos, in northern Attike. A core of mostly inexperienced Phalangitai was accompanied by iudaian speerbearers and galatian swordsmen. The light infantry was made up of Sphendonetai and Toxotai, mercenaries from Kreta as well as native Syrians.
    The light cavalry consisted of the swift Hippakontistai and the reliable Prodromoi. The Basileus himself lead the Hetairoi, heavy cavalry unmatched in the hellenistic armies, most of them having fought in several battles under his command.
    Theos' first encounter with other hellenic troops took place at the plains just south of Antiocheia on the Orontes. The ptolemaic Strategos had become overconfident after his march north along the syrian coast had been unchecked and unthreatened, so he decided to plant his camp in sight of the city's walls.
    However, his mislead confidence was quickly set right, when the armies met and he faced defeat along the whole line of battle, leading to a rapid breakdown and an unchallenged victory for the young seleukid king.

The total defeat of this army threw the gates into Phoinike wide open and Antiochos' host quickly advanced along the well paved coastal road, occupying one harbor town after the other and gaining vast supplies, enough to support a long campaign.
    In front of the gates of Sidon, along with Tyros the most important settlement in Phoinike, however the advance came to a hold, as Epaphrodeitos Alexandreianos, the province's governor, has gathered every armed man and sought refuge behind its walls.
    But not for long, as Epaphrodeitos was not the man to cower behind fortifications and passively await his fate. So it came that under the summer's sun the governor's army sallied sallied forth to meet Antiochos on the field.

Epaphrodeitos had the clear disadvantage of a lack of a strong phalanx and a cavalry force, but he managed to put his Iudaioi to best use and the battle was decided only after Antiochos' Hetairoi bereft the ptolemaic army of its leader.

With Epaphrodeitos dead and his army dispersed nothing could stand in Antiochos' way into the city and with the city fallen, Phoinike was almost completely under control, along with its wealthy ports and the phoinikian population, that had not much love for the king in Alexandreia.

Almost - as another one of Ptolemaios' young generals, Aristippos Berenikeios, had his quarters in the hills of Galilaia, just beyond the border, endangering southern Phoinike as well as Syria Koile.
    After garrisoning Sidon and Tyre, the Basileus took the rest of his host and met Aristippos in two battles, that were fought with determination and took a bloody toll, but ended with Aristippos dead and the immediate threat removed.

Last edited by Lysimachos; 10-21-2008 at 17:57.

Hey,

This is a very nice AAR and I must say that I enjoyed reading it.

Still, I have a few comments - in English (or actually, in any language), after a Roman numeral, there is no points (might be wrong in the name of the marking, but I'm sure that you understand what I'm trying to say), eg Antiochos II. Theos would actually by Antiochos II Theos. Not a hugo mistake but it bothered my eyes. :P This doesn't lessen the literary value though... :D

Now, what's the stats of your notebook? I also have a... well, very terrible notebook. I remember I once tried playing the Vanilla RTW which meant that I ended up with a black-grey-dark green campaign map and almost no battles. I haven't even thought of trying EB though (but if your notebook is worse than mine, a dream which most likely isn't true) then I should give it a go (even though I'd need to clear up some... 5 or 6 GB's of memory to make room for the game and RTW).

Also, could I dare suggest (I've already been rather impolite towards you) that you have the faction heir fight the Sakai as part of him proving himself? Sort of, 'if you can kill a barbar, you are fit to rule'? I know, not my place to suggest such things, but that occurred to me when you were speaking of concentrating on the leader and heir.

Thanks,
    There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post
    Hey,

This is a very nice AAR and I must say that I enjoyed reading it.

Still, I have a few comments - in English (or actually, in any language), after a Roman numeral, there is no points (might be wrong in the name of the marking, but I'm sure that you understand what I'm trying to say), eg Antiochos II. Theos would actually by Antiochos II Theos. Not a hugo mistake but it bothered my eyes. :P This doesn't lessen the literary value though... :D
    Well, you are not right with 'any language', but as it is correct about english, i will change that in the future. Thank you for pointing this out, i wouldn't have realized it otherwise.

Now, what's the stats of your notebook? I also have a... well, very terrible notebook. I remember I once tried playing the Vanilla RTW which meant that I ended up with a black-grey-dark green campaign map and almost no battles. I haven't even thought of trying EB though (but if your notebook is worse than mine, a dream which most likely isn't true) then I should give it a go (even though I'd need to clear up some... 5 or 6 GB's of memory to make room for the game and RTW).
    I have the grey campaign map, too, that's the reason for the lack of campaign map screenshots... Have to check for the other stats. Turns take some time, but i can read or do some other useful things in between I also recommend the thread about optimizing speed, that is somewhere around here, it made EB playable for me in the first place.
    I can highly recommend frequent defragmentation, turning off of unneeded processes/programs and using a memory optimizing tool like EZmem (or what it's called).
    Edit: 1.66 GHz, 224 MB RAM and the maximum of virtual memory. I think the chance is not too bad that your notebook is better than mine
    Oh, playing with smaller unit numbers has the positive sideeffect of not depleting your cities as fast ;)

[...](I've already been rather impolite towards you)[...]
    Oh, you are not impolite, just straightforward. I don't mind saying things how they are, that's the only way to find out

Also, could I dare suggest [...] that you have the faction heir fight the Sakai as part of him proving himself? Sort of, 'if you can kill a barbar, you are fit to rule'? I know, not my place to suggest such things, but that occurred to me when you were speaking of concentrating on the leader and heir.

Thanks,
    At the moment Antiochos' sons are not grown up yet, so for now Sarpedon is the heir, who rather is an administrator (and is supposed to be). Once Antiochos' first born is old enough, he will get some education first and then an opportunity to prove himself.
    You may have noticed that the current king had to do that himself, what he did quite successfully I hope the designated heir will inherit some of his father's positive dispositions...
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 08-31-2008 at 07:26.

Thanks.

My notebook is quite a few years old - I don't even remember when it was bought (2002 or 2003); anyways, it used to be my father's old notebook but then he got himself a better one and I have this. Quite sufficient for going to the internet and writing a few files (ever though of... making an AAR up from no campaign? I did, yesterday... :D). The stats are

Total Physical Memory 256,00 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2,00 GB

Those two I got from 'System Information' and the rest is from the 'My Computer -> Properties', so forgive me if I repeat myself. I dare think I know something about computers but it's more about the various programs and how to use them and which for what than the actual base setting categories:

mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP2400+ the processor unit, right?
    1.79 GHz
    196 MB of RAM

I can't really tell which one is better. Both seem like... mammoths of an ancient age to me... :P But tell me when you are going to buy a new one - then I'll know mine is the last one alive. :)

Oh... and do you want to know the most interesting thing? I'm running Office 2007. Takes an age to load up MS Word.

But tell me when you are going to buy a new one - then I'll know mine is the last one alive. :)
    That depends... Next year i'll start earning money myself and as notebooks have become damn cheap maybe i'll buy a new one then. On the other hand i could perhaps get a used desktop PC from my brother, so i would continue using this notebook for the things that depend on mobility.

Oh... and do you want to know the most interesting thing? I'm running Office 2007. Takes an age to load up MS Word.
    I use OpenOffice.org. It is free, has all functions i need, is easy to use and i have no problem with loading times.

Anyway, i'll stop offtopic now
    My next post in this thread will be Chapter 15, promised

What do you think of the probabilities of me running EB though? Can it be done? :P

Chapter 15: Iudaia

"They take the bait." Two handful of men are standing above the cliff, unmounted, the horses by the reins. In the distance an extended cloud of dust can be seen where an army is making its way through the rough mountains.
    "Courier! Tell Phanias to move into position! We don't want them to get away." - "Yes, Sire!"
    The messenger turns around and departs in a hurry, leaving behind the Basileus and his confidants.
    One of the older Hetairoi rises to speak. "These men are no Satrap's army. They are lead by the Klerouchikon Agema. Probably they just come all the way from Aigyptos, send by the Pharao to reinforce Aristippos Berenikeios."
    Antiochos grunts. "The better for us! It would certainly leave them exhausted and now they are running into our trap. What could we pray for more?"
    The Hetairos nods. "Perhaps their leaders don't know of Aristippos' death, yet. That could explain how confident they proceed, without any real reconnaissance. They may think we are a mere raiding party or even in retreat before Aristippos, who has cut off the way north."
    The Hetairos shrugs. "A lot of coulds and woulds in this, though. Let's hope we really are the ones that build the trap."
    The king laughs out loud and with a smirk faces the senior. "Trust me, I'm quite sure of that. That is why I bring my light horse with me."
    Antiochos' fingers move through the mane of his steed, an exaggerated contemplating look on his face. He mumbles: "I remember someone saying I had a reputation for this."
    His eyes move on to Perdikkas, the Hetairos, a serious look again. "Overestimating an enemy can be as dangerous as underestimating him. You know that, my friend."

The Taxiarchai have lined up the Phalanx according to their orders, as Antiochos II Theos again joins his army. He has chosen a solid position between two steep slopes.
    The ptolemaic Strategos is confident, as he obviously commands the larger army and can rely on his soldiers, especially the Klerouchikon Agema whose mounted detachment can almost be a match for the seleukid Hetairoi, while the pikemen represent the most professional Pezoi on the field.
    Mnaseas positions his men in a deep Phalanx.
    Two walls of spears face to face with each other. The tips of the pikes that are erected into the sky glare from the bright sunlight, below them the air is filled with dust that inevitably forms a layer on everything, intrudes into the men's mouths, constraining their ability to breath.
    Mnaseas is in a good mood, he senses a victory in the first battle he commands himself. He is riding at the head of the Agema Klerouchikon Hippeon at the left wing, opposing his enemy's heavy cavalry.
    Mnaseas does not know, who is in command of the host across the battlefield, nor of the high class of the Hetairoi he is facing, the most experienced and skilled heavy cavalrymen the Arche Seleukeia can field. And he does not know that is enemy is most comfortable with the situation, waiting, but not for certain defeat, playing for time.

Strategos Mnaseas gives the command to advance. The Auletai play their flutes, giving the tact, the Phalangitai march in lockstep towards their enemy.
    Now, there is no turning back. The young lagid commander drives his horse forward, towards the seleukid Somatophylakes. His opponent, however, grants himself a smile and a short moment of thought, as he sees the Agema speeding their horses. One moment, before Antiochos' seasoned companions rush forward with one mind, a fist of steel, striking to crush whoever dares to stand against them.

Seconds later, Mnaseas is dead, his trusted Agema is fighting an uphill battle.
    The Phalangitai are locked, the advantage on the side of the more numerous and thus broader ptolemaic Phalanx, which faces only lightly armored men. But at a moment's notice Nike seems to switch sides, as the trap strikes.
    Behind the immobile ptolemaic Phalanx another army shows up: A line of seleukid Pezhetairoi and among them the Argyraspides - Silver shields. On their flanks Galatoi, armed with shield and shortsword, rush forward, lusting to shed blood.
    The fighting becomes intense, the professional ptolemaic soldiers won't give up lightly, yet none can anymore doubt the outcome of battle. When the sun gets ready to dive into her wet resting place the last ptolemaic units disperse, flee into the rough hills, where a chase is futile and Basileus Antiochos has added yet another victory and proven himself a man of action rather than word.

Some weeks later Antiochos II Theos took position near Hierosolyma, the residence of Komon Kitiou Kypriakou, the governor of Iudaia.
    After the battle against Strategos Mnaseas Antiochos believed his army to be too weakened to face Kypriakou, so he turned to the coast again. There the king hired mercenaries, hoplites of greek and kelto-hellenic descent. With these men he felt to have the numbers not to be overwhelmed and still the quality to make the difference in his favor.
    The gathering of armed men heralds a decisive battle.

The seleukid army is outnumbered four to three, but Antiochos is at ease. The sound of battle has become his music, the slaughter of men his daily work. The soldiers know tales of his bravery and defiance of death and it is true: He does not fear, as he believes. He believes in his own strength, in the watch of the gods, of Seleukos and Apollon, his ancestors.
    And he believes in the strength of the horse, of sword and spear, when moved in the right place and the right time. To know this place and time has become his trade.
    His soldiers know this and they trust his judgment. When the king orders them to hold their ground, they will, because they believe in him: The common men call their king Theos - the God - and they strongly believe in it.
    Regardless of the enemy's numbers, of the losses and the despaired onslaughts that Komon Kitiou commands, none of Antiochos' soldiers leaves his place and his army never is in danger of defeat.
    Instead, they perpetrate a bloodbath among the ptolemaic garrison. Komon Kitiou follows the example of those who have dared to fight Antiochos before and ends his live on the slope where the seleukid phalanx holds its ground among his noble companions, slaughtered like cattle, leaving the gates of Hierosolyma unprotected and the city to grab as a ripe fruit, seductively bowing down from its tree.

So Hierosolyma falls and with it the holy temple of the Jews. Ptolemaios has lost almost all his troops in Iudaia and he has to agree to a truce, giving up all left possessions in Asia.

What do you think of the probabilities of me running EB though? Can it be done? :P
    It can be done, but you have to be aware of some things. Despite all efforts to make it faster you still have lag. Everywhere. Lots of it. Turns take ages. Better look for something to do in between. Units over normal size are not feasible. In fact, better autoresolve battles anyway (play at medium campaign difficulty or the autoresolved battles make you cry).
    If you can't live with this, don't try. I can, because this mod is too terribly great not to play

another great update

i actually missed chapter 14 being posted somehow

another great update

i actually missed chapter 14 being posted somehow
    Thank you

Chapter 14 came about two days before this, which is a great deal faster than my usual update frequency. Maybe you haven't been here in the meantime?
    Hope, you have read it now

Chapter 16: Philosophizing

The Tigris is sluggishly streaming south. As sluggishly lies the city, waiting for the lulling midday heat to pass. Most prevalent is greek architecture in the far stretching settlement, but its inhabitants are a mix of many peoples from the vicinity and from far away: Beside the makedonian upper class you find Babylonians, Iranians, Syrians, Armenians and Jews.
    It is among the greatest cities in the world, housing more residents than Athinai, Roma or Karchedon, more even than Alexandreia. It is second to none, Metropolis of the empire.
    Seleukeia, the city where Sarpedon, the king's brother, resides in a palace, large as a city of its own.

A man strides through the long and wide corridors. His long dark hair falls in smooth waves, only a hint of silver at his temples and in his well trimmed beard. His appealing face is dominated by dark brown eyes. Subtle wrinkles around them betray a certain waggishness.
    His prime is near an end, but he has tasted from the fruit of life and certainly knows the art of otiosity.
    Soon he reaches the spacious accommodation of the co-regent, where Sarpedon awaits him.
    "Ah, i am pleased to see you had time for a visit, today." - "Oh, yes. Rest assured, i am equally pleased."
    Sarpedon lays an arm around his guest's shoulder and leads him to his marmoreal desk. "You see, Ikadion, after we signed that favorable treaty with the Hellenes - which has been one of the rare occasions that saw my brother blessed with a good idea, this is for sure - anyway, after we signed this treaty I saw the chance to take up correspondence with Hermarchos of Mytilene, who - as you most certainly know - now is the highly praised patron of the garden of Epikouros."
    While his host proceeded with his sermon, Ikadion Anthemusias Babyloniakes, the appointed regent of the city of Babylon, freed himself of the embracement and walked over to the patio.
    The voice is getting quieter, as Ikadion leaves the room and steps between the palm trees beyond the archway. He is fumbling with some papers, that he stored in his garments, while Sarpedon catches up.
    "... so I decided to write him a letter to articulate my deepest admiration for his achievements and that of the late Epikouros and to express my interest in a discussion about his approach especially to Aristoteles and to the Stoa - as you are certainly aware I have made some considerations based on Epikouros' work - and luckily i received his answer from Athinai recently, in which he..."
    Antiochos Soter's youngest son stops his speech.
    "What are you doing? Are you even listening to me?"
    A smirk plays about Ikadions mouth. "Of course I'm listening, dear. You didn't know, I'm working on an epic to praise your brother's deeds, did you?"
    Sarpedon knits his brows. "Do you. I ... You know, I didn't really like your last work."
    "Hmhm? Could have done it better, hurr?" Ikadion makes a heavily concentrated face, while theatrically skimming through his papers.
    "Oh, oh, yes, I could have. Ask around the court. They all like what I'm writing."
    "Well, that may be because they fear to get hung. Not that it would happen often, as they all are prolific yeasayers, but the imagination is in a way ... intriguing. Maybe I'd rather write about the secret tyrant than the glorious vanquisher. Hm."
    Ikadion puts a finger on his chin and observes Sarpedon with a searching gaze. "You are quite a special breed of brothers, you know - but of course, not to forget your sisters. They have some extraordinary qualities, too. Perhaps a heritage from your also most extraordinary mother."
    The Basileus' brother sighs deeply. "Sometimes you are just so disgusting beyond all bearing, Ikadion, I really don't know why I'm still inviting you into my chambers."
    The accosted laughs out loud and steps closer. He lays his hands on Sarpedon's shoulders and mumbles in his ear, a broad grin on his face.
    "From what I know of you, my dear, we are certainly playing in one league of disgust, but - admittedly - in a very cultured way, and you wouldn't want a lesser man to reveal the truths of life to you, would you?"
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 10-24-2008 at 15:32.

Nice, Lysimachos. Very nice. Keep it up.
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    Nice, Lysimachos. Very nice. Keep it up.
    Thank you . Your latest chapter is nice, too.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Excellent update, as always

Maion
    ~Maion

Hi folks! Another short update from me. I'll be away for some weeks soon and i don't know if I can update another time before that, but I'll certainly be back, so don't worry

Chapter 17: A Newborn Child

A newborn child in all its innocence and fragile vulnerability can remind a man of many things. It is at the very beginning of its life that is threatened to be ended, from the first day on.
    Antiochos has spend most of his years with ending the lives of other men, yet the eyes of a little girl in his arms still reveal the desire that is buried deep in his heart to renew, to create. Her name is Artemesia, she is Antiochos' granddaughter, the child of Kleopatra.

It is the seventh year of Antiochos Theos' reign, the seventh year after his father's death and much has happened in the past years. Three years ago the Second Syrian War ended in a sea of blood in front of the gates of Hierosolyma and the following seasons Antiochos spend in campaigns along the borders of the desert, fighting against people who didn't recognize the Basileus' rule, taking their strongholds of Palmyra and Bostra.

A king has not much time for his family and Antiochos was camping outside of Bostra when Kleopatra, his eldest daughter, was betrothed to Timarchos, a young promising officer from a hellenic Polis in Karia, while in those very days far to the west his brother-in-law, Magas Kyrenaios, died a humiliating death from overeating.

The king returned to his capital just in time to see his grandchild born, a reminder of how time is passing and a reminder to start taking up things for which to be remembered, as long as there is time.

Chapter 18: Kleronomos Basileois

Today is his day. Every single one of them has come to see him, a mere boy - no! - a young man, now that he reached the sixteenth year of his life.
    He bears the name of Seleukos, his great grandfather, but they call him Kallinikos - the beautiful victor - although his beauty may be hidden under his early beard and a victory has yet to be seen.
    But that does not matter today. Who of them that have come to Antiocheia to witness his proclamation as Kleronomos Basileois could dare to doubt great deeds to be expected of him?

"I'm not impressed, to say the least." Sarpedon attests uncomfortably, brows knitted. Ikadion turns his head to the left. "Pardon? Not impressed by what exactly? The Academy as a whole?"
    The two of them had traveled to Antiocheia to attend the festivities on the occasion of Kallinikos' appointment, but they took the opportunity to visit the lately completed educational facilities of the city. Due to generous funding were only few years needed to establish a new center of learning and knowledge by compiling enormous libraries and luring renowned capacities into the city on the Orontes. A center that - to Sarpedon's dissatisfaction - may well prove itself equal to those at Alexandreia or Seleukeia.

"Nah, not the Academy." He exclaims. "That b-" The king's brother holds his breath, the hand in front of his mouth, as to keep the words inside. After a suspicious glance around, he mutters: "That boy! He won't get his mouth open if you put an iron between his teeth. He is just so... unimposing. Although..." In an unconscious movement raises Sarpedon's hand to his chin, feeling the hair in his face.
    "Although he has quite an impressive beard for that age." The two continue walking across the academy's main yard.
    "I tell you, Ikadion, no good will originate from that seed. Have you seen the younger one? I think he is kind of weird. On the other hand" - Sarpedon points behind to the two juveniles following in respectful distance - "look at my sons. What splendiferous young men. Well mannered and educated and adept at..."
    Ikadion interrupts his speech abruptly, watching the two boys attentively. "My dear, there is a thing you have to tell me."
    The addressee grunts to announce his disapproval about the unwelcome - yet not unfamiliar - disturbance of his speech. "What?"
    "You are sure they are your sons? I just mean, their eyes kind of remind me of... mine..."
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 10-24-2008 at 12:47.

That was a funny chapter, really, made me laugh (Last part). It did however bring up some (possible) future plots, which was nice. As always you manage to give a coloured image of what is going on with very few words, atleast for me. I like it! Keep it up!

Though, regretfully, I've forgotten most of the characters since it was a long time ago I read your AAR. Would be nice with some post in wich the family-tree is explained (Can be edited when new ones are born/adopted, old one dies, and when they change traits, gain victories etc!, just a thought )

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast