Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Default Re: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

I would just like to say that this is an awesome aar. Just splendid! Keep it up!

4x
    1x

Quote Originally Posted by King Vasiliyi View Post
    I would just like to say that this is an awesome aar. Just splendid! Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Socy View Post
    That was a funny chapter, really, made me laugh (Last part). It did however bring up some (possible) future plots, which was nice. As always you manage to give a coloured image of what is going on with very few words, atleast for me. I like it! Keep it up!

Though, regretfully, I've forgotten most of the characters since it was a long time ago I read your AAR. Would be nice with some post in wich the family-tree is explained (Can be edited when new ones are born/adopted, old one dies, and when they change traits, gain victories etc!, just a thought )
    Thanks to both of you! Maybe I'll finish another chapter this weekend, but after that I'm really on vacation.

I'll think about that family-tree-thing. I'm not sure how exactly to do this.

Edit: Hope this helps for now (should be the more important that have been mentioned, yet):

For 257 BC = 55 of Seleucid Era = 8th reigning year of Antiochos II Theos:

1. Seleukos I Nikator
    Founder of the seleucid Empire, died before the beginning of the game.
    Sons: Antiochos I Soter (ingame: Antiochos Syriakos); Achaios Syriakos

2. Antiochos I Soter (ingame Antiochos Syriakos)
    2nd seleucid king, died in Summer 264 BC at the battle of the Kephisos in Attike
    Sons: Seleukos (not ingame); Antiochos II Theos (ingame Theodoros Syriakos); Sarpedon Syriakos
    Son-in-law: Magas Kyrenaios (rebel); ...

3. Achaios Syriakos
    Died in early 260ies
    Sons: Alexandros Syriakos; Andromachos Syriakos
    Daughter: Laodike (ingame she is not his daughter)

4. Antiochos II Theos (ingame Theodoros Syriakos)
    Ruling king of the Arche Seleukeia
    Wife: Laodike
    Sons: Seleukos Kallinikos (ingame Kallinikos Syriakos, 16 y/o); Euphorion (9 y/o)
    Daughters: Kleopatra, Pamphile
    Son-in-law: Timarchos Mylason Karikon

5. Sarpedon Syriakos
    Gouverns the eastern part of the empire from Seleukeia on the Tigris
    Sons: Omanes Syriakos; Athenaios Syriakos (both minors)
    Daughters: two (don't have their names in my notes)

6. Seleukos Kallinikos (ingame Kallinikos Syriakos)
    Kleronomos Basileois; attending the Akademia in Antiocheia on the Orontes; 16 years old

7. Andromachos Syriakos
    Satrap of Persis; son of Achaios

8. Alexandros Syriakos
    Satrap of Susiane; son of Achaios

9. Magas Kyrenaios
    Son-in-law of Antiochos I Soter; Ruler of Kyrene; died probably in Fall 259 BC

Out of bloodline:

1. Ikadion Anthemusias Babyloniakes
    Client ruler of Babylon; Epic Poet; close friend to Sarpedon Syriakos

2. Apollonides Damaskenos
    Satrap of Phrygia; Commander-in-chief for Asia Mikra

3. Sosiphanes Beroias Syriakes
    Olympionikes; former governor of Antiocheia; now Satrap of Phoinike

4. Keraias Pergamou Mysiakes
    Highly skilled diplomate; Ambassador in Pella

5. Philippos
    Most esteemed hetairos of Antiochos I Soter

Other factions:

1. Antigonos Gonatas (ingame Antigonos Argeades)
    King in Makedonia; spends his life with battling greeks and epeirotes; Ally of Antiochos I Soter

2. Ptolemaios II Philadelphos (ingame Philadelphos Ptolemaios, I think)
    King in Egypt and head of the ptolemaic/lagid dynasty; Archenemy of Antiochos I Soter
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 09-27-2008 at 15:05.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Chapter 19: To New Shores

The wings of the Alep-gate open with loud noise. They give way for an iron snake, meandering through the city's streets. Thousands upon thousands stream out the gate. At the snake's head the Basileus rides, amongst his Hetairoi. At his side a young boy, at a tender age of eleven years, proudly riding his own horse.
    Antiochos leaves most of his family behind and he doesn't know how many years may pass until he meets them again: his wife Laodike, his firstborn Seleukos Kallinikos and his daughters Pamphile and Kleopatra with her husband Timarchos, who brought this summer's victor's laurel from Olympia.
    Only the young Euphorion accompanies his father on a voyage with uncertain end. Antiochos Theos is going to take his rightful place amongst the heroes of the Hellenes, while the previous generation of the Epigonoi is slowly fading away: Almost a decade ago his father died in the battle of the Kephisos, this autumn Antiochos Soter's old ally Antigonos Gonatas joined him in the realms of the dead and Ptolemaios Philadelphos is suffering from grave illness, but with an iron will clinging to life.

Makedonia, her allies and enemies at the death of Antigonos:

Chionis puts his hands on the ship's guardrail. His view wanders across foredeck and port basin, towards the open sea. The setting sun's beams reflect from the easefully floating waves. The last night before their voyage is coming.
    Chionis had never before met the Basileus, but as Nauarchos of the fleet he had the honor to dine with Antiochos. At first, Chionis was impressed by the pure authority that was emanated by the king's presence, but the later the evening grew, the more Antiochos fell victim to the abundant quantum of wine that ran down his throat, until he was hardly articulate.
    The admiral felt pity for the young prince, who often must have seen his father losing control of himself, but Chionis knew, it was not his place to question his Basileus. His task was a secure crossing and all beyond lies in the king's hands.

The air is dry and hot. In the north the Persikos Kolpos shines blue, sun rays and foam dancing on the waves' tips. The fleet has again left the shore not to permit an enemy to catch it defenselessly cowered to the beach.
    The royal army is widespread, closing around the settlement that is situated over the beach. Humble sheds with a crude palisade, but nonetheless an important place in the region, due to sources of fresh water and a natural harbour.
    The town's name is Gerrha. A local tribe's leader has gathered the folk of the surrounding area, shepherds, sailors, pirates and traders. It remains a mystery what makes him think he could resist the seleucids' iron fist.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Another nice chapter.
    Just like to add that I've been lurking this AAR.

A very emotional narrative, i like it. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    Another nice chapter.
    Just like to add that I've been lurking this AAR.
    Thanks! I'm lurking yours, too

Quote Originally Posted by schlappi View Post
    A very emotional narrative, i like it. Thanks for sharing.
    Always a pleasure

And i have a surprise for you, guys! Guess what? The third update in three days! Coming soon to a forum near you!

Chapter 20: Naumachia

The ships are cutting through the waves, following the coastline eastwards but with enough distance to allow maneuvering in all directions.

After the short fight for Gerrha, the inhabitants of the town soon came to terms with their new lord. Among them the leading merchants saw the opportunities that open harbors along the iranian coast could offer and agreed with Antiochos to work for mutual benefit.
    With the merchants on the conqueror's side the tribal elders had to repress their zeal of independence, and they were soon appeased when it became clear that the seleucid king was not willing to install a rigorously bound regime.
    This enabled the Basileus to continue his campaign after a short sojourn and the army again boarded the fleet.

A loud call disrupts the dozy silence and reproduces itself through many mouths. "Sails ahead! Sails ahead!"
    Nauarchos Chionis rushes to his flagship's lookout to get an idea of the approaching ships. In the distance the oncoming sails stand out against the clear sky. A forest of masts is spread over the waves, dozens of dozens of slender and swift vessels.
    As Chionis hurries back to the bridge of his Trieres Antiochos Theos awaits him, showing a composed smile, his left hand on young Euphorion's shoulder.
    "Nauarchos! A new experience for me, watching a battle that is not mine to command. This is your profession, my life is in your hands, so do your very best."
    "Sire, you can entrust me with your life. Me too have a reputation and more to lose."
    With a nod Chionis turns to commence his orders which are communicated by shouts and colored flags that are panned in direction of the other ships.

The Arabians' fleet numbers more than one hundred ships against Chionis' forty. None of them can compare with the Triereis' strength, but they are very maneuverable.
    To counter the enemy's numbers the fleet forms a close formation. The Pentekonteroi secure the gaps between the Triereis, which provide the fire power, while the small Kerkuroi form a screen in the back of the larger ships.
    With constant speed the ships approach. An uncomfortable tension rules the minutes before the clash. The men wait silent for the intimidating mass of vessels to draw nearer.

The Triereis are entitled to make the opening move. Their torsion guns start to shoot as soon as the first adversaries get into their range. At long distance the fast pirate ships are not hit often, but strikes prove devastating against the light hulls and the dry wood quickly catches fire from burning projectiles.
    Various ships are hit critically, but their numbers are to great to impede the arabian fleet as a whole.

Only short time after the archers start shooting at oncoming boats, the first pirates reach the line of Chionis' ships and in groups they attack the Pentekonteroi like a pack of predators a larger prey.
    The outer wings swing around the seleucid fleet where a deadly dance with the Kerkuroi begins.

After little time the vessels have lost their dynamics and the battle becomes static. The hulls of the ships are wedged together, a huge field of wood floating on the sea - the battle has turned into a clutter of melee fights.
    Fires are scattered over the scene, clouds of smoke obscuring the view.

Hours pass before the disorder starts to resolve and a result of the encounter seems to emerge.
    After the smoke fades away and the clew of ships breaks apart it becomes obvious that the Arabians had no means to deal with the Triereis, which are rowed around the area of the battle and take out one enemy after the other.
    Soon the clutter finally dissolves and Chionis and his king are left behind with the aftermath.

The Naumachia has been won and the enemy thrown back, but many ships are lost and not a single Pentekontoros is left.

"Basileus. We have won this day, but will not be able to withstand another attack. I don't know if the pirates have another fleet out there but I'd rather not risk it. We haven't lost a Trieres, but some are in bad shape and without protection of a sufficient amount of smaller ships another encounter might be devastating," explains Chionis.
    "I see." Antiochos nods. "Luckily the army is mostly aboard the Triereis. We are not very far from Homna now. This is what we will do: Continue following the coast until we reach the territory of the Maka. There the army will leave the fleet. Sail back to Charax, repair the ships and return with resupplies. I will await the fleet next autumn at the port of Homna."
    "This sounds like a wise decision. We will proceed exactly as you said, Basileus."

Default AW: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Very nice update!
    Like your AAR!!!
    best wishes

I've commented before, but I've been so busy with college and work that I hadn't taken the time to really read this AAR thoroughly. Now I'm caught up, and I've got to say, Lysimachos, you've done some excellent work. Good luck in the TWC competion, rival!
    “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.”-Proverbs 16:32

Read my Aedui AAR-"Across the Waters: A Story of the Migration"
    And the sequel "Sword of Albion"

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Even though im fighting them in 2 of my 3 current campaigns (see my AAR, below), the Seleukids are one of my fave factions. You can actually make an army with everything in it (HAs, HC, phalanx, hvy infantry, good archers, skirms, etc). Plus its challenging to fight lotsa peeps...

So, I present you with the customary

Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Hi there! Thanks for the comments!
    Theodotos I: I'm sorry to see you have closely missed the podium again, though I'm the one who came in third *cough*

I'm back from vacation with chapter 21, the 100th reply in this thread

Chapter 21: Prospects

Kallinikos steps out into the palace's inner yard and leaves behind Agathe, his wife, and Nikomachos, his firstborn son and presumably future heir.
    The past years that he spend at the flourishing Akademia in Antiocheia had done much to shape the man he has become. He still is rather withdrawn and seldom brings himself to approach other men, especially those of higher age and gained their status with deeds, but he has learned to use his intellect and his voice if the necessity arises.
    Nonetheless, he makes the court doubt if the alikeness to his father exceeds the facial appearance.

Late afternoon's sun warms Kallinikos' face, who stopped in the quiet yard to relish a welcomed moment of repose, as his brother-in-law's voice disrupts the silence.
    "Your highness, we have to talk."
    Timarchos watches Kallinikos, face raised to the sky, the eyes closed and seemingly with effort ignoring his presence, and decides to test his patience for once.
    Timarchos descends from old hellenic nobility of the city of Mylasa in Karia, a heritage that comes with pride and a secure awareness of superiority over all sorts of upstarts and people who only recently discovered the greatness of greek language and culture.
    However, a marriage into royalty was not below his standards, despite the share of persian blood in his bride's veins.

With a disappointed sigh Kallinikos finally gives up and turns his attention to Timarchos. "What ails you, my brother?"
    "I have been told you are ready to leave the academy now. Your father left instructions for this day. He wishes his son to be acquainted with the provinces of his future realm with his own senses. I took the liberty to commence preparations for your journey to Ipsos. Satrapes Appolonides Damaskenos awaits your arrival and will see to everything you need."
    Another deep sigh escapes the prince's breast. "He has written down my destiny and left its execution to you, hm?"
    "Maybe you'll even have time to pay my parents a visits, they'd surely be honored."

Of course there is no benefit to blame the messenger, Kallinikos knows. Timarchos himself has been left with a great burden by the king: A young man, not much older than himself, in charge of one of the greatest cities in the empire, including the ambitious project to establish an important center of sciences and learning.
    It has to be admitted that Timarchos has shown a prosperous talent for organising and under his hands the Akademia has arrived at a stage where it is without equal in size of its premises, amount of funds and number of renowned teachers.
    Timarchos certainly grew with his challenge, but would he himself be able to do the same with his burden, the burden of the Kleronomos Basileois, the future king?
    The footsteps that he was to follow are large and the fear of not being able to fill them, just as well.

Last edited by Lysimachos; 10-23-2008 at 13:59.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Great update Lysimachos! It's good to read an AS AAR once in a while, it renews my mood of playing my Makedonian campaign:2thmubsup:

Maion
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    Great update Lysimachos! It's good to read an AS AAR once in a while, it renews my mood of playing my Makedonian campaign:2thmubsup:

Maion
    It's always a pleasure to see my writing motivating someone Successors rule

Just had to correct a little detail

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Nice to see this AAR is back.
    I'll be awaiting the next chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    Nice to see this AAR is back.
    I'll be awaiting the next chapter.
    Its nice to see fellow writers commenting (this, of course, applies to all others, too). I think I'll have to leave you a comment some time, too (I'm still following silently)

Some time ago Socy mentioned the difficulty in following and remembering the characters, so I have thought about what is best to do. I thought about one "library" of characters that would be updated, but this could only show the most recent state, which would be to the disadvantage of someone who is behind some chapters and doesn't want to spoil himself the story.
    My latest idea is to add a spoiler at the end of every chapter where all mentioned characters are explained in some notes, in reference to the point in time of the chapter.
    For chapter 21 it could look like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Year: 254 BC = 58th year of Seleucid Era = 11th reigning year of Antiochos II Theos

1. Seleukos Kallinikos (ingame: Kallinikos Syriakos):
    Function: Kleronomos Basileois of the Arche Seleukeia
    Parents: Basileus Antiochos II Theos and Laodike
    Siblings: Younger brother Euphorion, younger sisters Kleopatra and Pamphile
    Wife: Agathe
    Children: Nikomachos
    Personality: Rather introverted and uncharismatic; Pessimistic and unsecure about his abilities, especially concerning the rule over the empire; had an exceptional education at the great Academy in Antiocheia on the Orontes, which helps him with his problems at interacting with others; earlier it was thought he would "take after his father", but it seems he developes in a different direction

2. Agathe
    Husband: Seleukos Kallinikos
    Children: Nikomachos

3. Nikomachos
    Function: Second in line of succession; Doing what a baby does
    Parents: Seleukos Kallinikos and Agathe

4. Timarchos Mylason Karikon
    Function: Governor of Antiocheia on the Orontes
    Parents: descendants of old hellenic nobility of Mylasa in Karia
    Wife: Kleopatra, eldest daughter of Antiochos II Theos
    Children: Artemesia (maybe more by now, but I don't have it in my notes, am to lazy to look it up and it doesn't really matter)
    Personality: Proud Hellen; Extroverted politician and bureaucrat; Athlete (Olympionikes of the olympic games in 256 BC)

5. Apollonides Damaskenos
    Function: Satrapes of Phrygia and Commander-in-chief for Asia Mikra
    Seat: Ipsos, which economically is of less importance than Sardis in Lydia, but the center of the military facilities in the peninsula
    Personality: To be revealed in later chapters

Please tell me what you think about that.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 10-23-2008 at 14:01.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Loving it man. Love the character note thing. But then again, as I´ve said elsewhere, I love everythign tonight, so don´t trust anything I say.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    Loving it man. Love the character note thing. But then again, as I´ve said elsewhere, I love everythign tonight, so don´t trust anything I say.
    Uh, yeah, unlimited love is fine, anyway thank you

Chapter 22: Revelations

The white sand stretches as far as the eye can see, the waves softly roll over the beach again and again. In the shallow water a boy is wading. He is wearing only a short-sleeved Chiton which is reaching nearly to his knees and girded at the waist. The boy's keen eyes are focused on the open sea, whilst he holds his step.
    "Have you found something?" the tall man standing some dozen meters up the beach shouts.
    Euphorion turns his head to his bodyguard. "Aischylos, a ship's coming!"

Antiochos slowly follows the path down to the port, where a single Trieres has anchored. A familiar face awaits him.
    "Nauarchos Chionis, I welcome you. Tell me, where is my fleet?" Sailors and soldiers alike watch the king in uncomfortable idleness, while the planks of the wooden runway creak under his boots.
    Chionis, feeling the relentless inquiring gaze resting on him, answers with a perceptibly nervous and unsecure voice.
    "My Basileus, you... I mean, I fully regret to disappoint your... your rightful expectancy..." He pauses, desperately searching for the right words - if there even are such. "I regret to disappoint your expectancy of a fleet coming with me, but I have to admit there is none."
    The last words seem to remain floating in the air, oppressing the men around the king with their weight, making them almost observably shrink in the futile attempt to become invisible, in the anticipation of most unwelcome consequences of any drawn attention.
    The king is breathing heavily and closes his eyes. The officers around him and Chionis carefully step back, awaiting the certain outbreak of fury and the prevalent thought regarding the range of the expected outburst is the question whether or not - or rather to which degree - the king yet is drunk.
    Antiochos exhales deeply and opens his eyes, which are still directed at Chionis, who feels the unpleasant dankness of his sweat-soaked clothes and the tension of the moment laying heavily on his breast and shoulders.
    The Basileus speaks with a restrained and gentle voice. "Will you accompany me on a short walk, Admiral?"

The two men are striding slowly and silently along the beach, where short time before Euphorion spotted the ship.
    "So, will you tell me why you brought only one ship?"
    Chionis, who has recovered his countenance in the long silence that has past in the time since he followed his king from the runway, responds, carefully arranging his words.
    "After we left the army I commandeered the fleet directly to Charax, to complete necessary maintenance in due time, corresponding to your orders." Chionis takes another break, as he well knows the hardest part is to follow now. He breathes deeply and the next sentence springs from his mouth in a fast pace.
    "However, your brother prohibited the fleet to set sail, so I had to leave the harbor secretly in the night and was in no way able to bring more ships."
    Antiochos turns to the sea, walking down the beach until the water washes around his feet. His eyes look into the far distance, not watching anything particular, because the mind is too occupied to notice the beauty of the calmly dancing waves.
    Chionis respectfully follows some steps behind, waiting.

After some uneventful time Antiochos awakes from his apathy.
    "So it is true." The Nauarchos suddenly becomes very alert and after a moment he dares to speak himself. "Sire, you did know this was going to happen?"
    The king sighs. "I will tell you something. The day when I was proclaimed Basileus, a man came to talk to me. He was a Somatophylax of my father and he claimed to have been with him in the moment of his death. He said, my father's last wish was to let me know of the Pythia's prophecy.
    He told me that when my father attended the Oracle in Delphi, he asked if his line would succeed in fulfilling the legacy of Megas Alexandros. The Oracle's answer - as was to be expected - was not clear in itself."
    Antiochos pauses, while his Admiral is watching attentively.
    "My father was told, in order to prevail, his blood would have to overcome itself."

The king's officers are still waiting at the port, when their master returns with fast steps and a mask of his known adamantine determination on his face.
    "We've got work to do!" he shouts. "Get me every ship and every boat in this godforsaken land! I want every raft and every piece of wood large enough to support a man! Is this clear, you lazy lot?"

For some notes on the characters in this chapter see following spoiler.

Year: 253 BC = 59th year of the Seleucid Era = 12th reigning year of Antiochos II Theos

1. Antiochos II Theos (ingame: Theodoros Syriakos)
    Function: Basileus ton Basileon; Ruler of the Arche Seleukeia
    Parents: Basileus Antiochos I Soter and Stratonike
    Siblings: younger brother Sarpedon; Two sisters, one of whom was married to Magas Kyrenaios (and is not existant in game)
    Wife: Laodike
    Children: Seleukos Kallinikos; Euphorion; Kleopatra; Pamphile
    Son-in-law: Timarchos Mylason Karikon
    Personality: Charismatic, uncompromising leader; Known for his prowess as General, for his defiance of death and for being a notorious drunkard

2. Euphorion
    Function: Third in line of succession after his brother Kallinikos and his nephew Nikomachos
    Parents: Basileus Antiochos II Theos and Laodike
    Siblings: older brother Seleukos Kallinikos; younger sisters Kleopatra and Pamphile
    Personality: unflagging and intelligent juvenile, despises his father's drinking habits

3. Sarpedon Syriakos
    Function: Co-Regent
    Seat: Seleukeia
    Sons: Omanes; Athenaios
    Personality: Poet, Philosopher, Gourmet of Life; Skilled Politician and Schemer; The riches of the empire run through his city and his hands which has left him very wealthy; Egocentric

4. Chionis
    Function: Nauarchos (Admiral)
    Personality: Loyal, but not uncritical

5. Aischylos
    Function: Bodyguard of Euphorion
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 10-24-2008 at 21:51.

Chapter 23: Uninvited Guests

Late afternoon's sun follows the path of the mountain's slope, bathing the small valley with soft light. A few clouds travel across the blue dome spanning above.
    A small column of smoke ascends from a fire over which a Bezoar Ibex, a wild goat, is roasting on a spit. The hunters, a hand full of young men, have erected some tents and have gathered around the fireplace, their horses grazing nearby.
    The men are relaxing from the travails of the day, joking together and laughing, while they are waiting for their meal, the smell of which is in the air.
    In the distance the sound of horses' hooves comes up the valley and one of the men with knitted brows attests: "We're getting company."
    He stands up, grasping his sword belt and fastening it around his waist. The others fall silent, while watching two dozens of horsemen coming along the trail. One half of them is wearing heavy armor in fashion of the Hetairoi, while the other half are light troopers of the Galatoi, fierce warriors who by now live in central Asia Mikra for a generation and serve in the seleucid armies in significant numbers. The newcomers slow down and spread out over the glade.
    Another of the young men struggles to his feet. "Stand aside, Gorgias, I guess they are here for me."
    Kallinikos leaves the circle of his companions and addresses the one mounted stranger who has separated from the others, leading his horse in slow pace ahead.
    "What is this about?" - "The Satrapes requests your immediate presence at Ipsos." declares the horseman.
    "Well, then tell Apollonides I will come to see him as soon as I deem it fit." Kallinikos replies sharply and starts to turn back to the fire, as his interlocutor speaks up. "Obviously I didn't make myself clear adequately. You are to accompany me now."
    The prince is struck with awe, as he hears the cold, unapologetic voice. "You... you do know who I am, don't you?" he demands incredulously.
    "I well do," retorts the stranger confidently. "I come by order of the Satrap Apollonides Damaskenos who answers exclusively to the Basileus himself. You do not possess any authority over me and as long as you sojourn in the Satrapy of Phrygia - which you do now - you are bound to the orders of the Satrap. So, will you be so kind to mount your horse and follow me or do I need to make you do?"
    Kallinikos helplessly and stunned with disbelief shakes his head, but then straightens himself.
    "I decided to meet your master, but he... he'll better have a good explanation for this... this insolence!"

Chapter 24: Hostage

Kallinikos enters the fortress of Ipsos, where Apollonides Damaskenos resides. His escort didn't exactly treat him as a prisoner, but their attitude still made clear that a deviation would not be tolerated.
    He is led along a ramp up to the main structure situated in the center of strong fortifications. There the remaining soldiers follow a staircase into a dim hallway, lightened through some small openings in the massive wall.
    Some meters ahead a man is standing near a window, beside him a small one-legged table has been positioned on which a carafe and a bowl with fruits stand. He turns around, revealing his face in daylight.
    "Leave us alone," the Satrapes of Phrygia commands and his soldiers back off. "I welcome you, Seleukos. You are certainly aching to ask why I send my guards for you and rightly you do."
    Hesitatingly Kallinikos takes some steps forward until he is only two arms length from the older man. "You are behind this," he states. "What were you thinking to make the king's son your prisoner?"
    A slight smile shows on Apollonides' lips and vanishes again. "You are not my prisoner." The Satrap turns his attention to the fruit bowl beside him and with a gentle grip in two fingers he carefully raises a grape to the height of his eyes.
    "I just had no option to leave any alternatives. All this - " his eyes meet Kallinikos' and his left hand describes a not too distinct circle - "serves your security."
    He focuses again on the grape between his fingers and slowly pushes it into his opened mouth before he thoughtfully chews.
    The last minutes Kallinikos somewhat fascinated and at the same time alienated watches the Satrap, being disrupted in his thoughts when Apollonides piercing glance again hits his eyes.
    "And me. You see, tomorrow another guest will arrive at my modest halls." The Satrap steps closer to the window, pointing into the outside. "He will sojourn over there to the right, while your chambers will be there, in the wing to the left," now pointing in the other direction.
    "This guest is here for you. His name is Lysimachos Sardikos. This may ring a bell to you. He is Satrapes of Lydia and a son-in-law of your uncle, Sarpedon."
    The look on Apollonides' face now seems nearly expectant, but Kallinikos has found no way out of his confusion.
    "What are you even talking about? Where is this going to lead to?"
    Damaskenos sighs. "You see, I like being well-informed, so I have some of my own sources here and there. One of my sources in Seleukeia told me about something you too should be interested in. Your lovely uncle has forbidden the king's fleet to leave harbor. He is cutting his brother off from support. He has promised arabian chieftains to pay for the king's death."
    Kallinikos is stunned with shock. "My wife, my son, are they safe? Is he going to kill me, too?"
    Apollonides is raising his hands, trying to soothe the king's son. "Calm down, young one. They are safe and as long as they are, you are too."
    Seleukos leans on the massive stone walls, searching for a hold. "Explain this."
    "Sarpedon knows that he has too little support to make himself king, at least for now. Sarpedon needs a weak but rightful king to use as a puppet, something which he never could with your father but is confident to achieve with you or your son.
    Your son is at Antiocheia and under the protection of Timarchos. Timarchos has nothing to gain from siding with Sarpedon, in fact as your brother-in-law he would be losing status, once Sarpedon or one of his sons would be king. So, Timarchos and Antiocheia will remain loyal and for now the city is untouchable for your uncle and as long as he can't get your son, he needs you alive.
    And to achieve his goals he needs the support of people for whom choosing his side could be a real opportunity. People like Lysimachos Sardikos or..." Apollonides shrugs his shoulders and performs a waving movement with his hands.
    Kallinikos glances up to him. "Or you." The Satrap nods. "Or me."

Chapter 25: Encounter at the Baths

The eyes closed Andromachos is slowly floating in the water, enjoying the sun warming his body. It is a sound late morning and he firmly intends forming it into another sound day, a day of the small, the quiet pleasures of life.
    His thoughts are not directed anywhere, but unstressedly revolve around things of beauty and leisure. After the bath he would do a bit of light reading and then perhaps a ride, not too far, though, as he would want to have returned to the palace shortly after noon for a refreshment, not too much, though, as an extensive meal would be a burden in the midday heat of these quite early warm days.
    In the afternoon it would be time to pretend to do some governing until he is tired and would proceed with doing nothing till evening when he would sup with the boys, listen to some music and watch the dancers.
    Ah, this day is going to be great, worthy to be named in the same breath with most of its predecessors, and there was nothing imaginable to disturb this vision.
    Andromachos is approaching the edge of the pool. Staying in the comfortably temperated water for some more time could do no harm, could it?

"Excellency." Andromachos, who is floating near the edge and is not used to get attention unless he asked for it, hesitantly blinks up to a servant of moderate rank, standing almost right above him, illuminated by the beaming sunlight. "Hm?"
    The servant leans downwards to whisper a short sentence to his lord, who suddenly whirls upward and with oaring arm movements holds himself upright. Andromachos is fumbling for words.
    "Urr... eww... wha... What does that mean: he is here? Tha... That cannot possibly be possible..."
    Another person moves into his sight, the beaming sun forming a glowing halo around his face and the polished cuirass at the edges gleaming from reflected light.
    Andromachos is unable to make out the face against the glaring light, but he doesn't need to wait for the voice to rise to recognize his Basileus.
    "Receive my greeting, cousin. I see you keep the Satrapy in good shape."
    "Oh, urm, I'm very gracious you have noticed that, my king, but let me tell you, you have not seen Persepolis in her best season."
    Abruptly Andromachos' comfortable bath has begun to become very uncomfortable and his great day is going to become awful. He is silently cursing the moment he left his bed.
    "Tell me, Andromachos, whose side is the one of the Satrapes Persikos?" - "Oh, my lord, all the loyalties of Persis belong her rightful king. I... You know that I have not a single reason to seek treachery. My life is as fulfilling as it could be... well, actually it was until now... However, I have no ambition than to hold onto what I have here. Urm, uh, yes, exactly."
    "This is good to hear, cousin. I have fought beside your father and I well know his qualities and his flaws and I have the impression you are a worthy heir to him," responds the king. "I trust your word, but now I have to demand your service. I need every man you can muster, I need grain and I need cattle and I would appreciate if I get them rather today than tomorrow."
    The Satrap of Persis is helplessly oaring with his arms under water. "My king, I can call upon my Klerouchoi and I can levy Psiloi, but you know as good as I do, that all I have will be no match against what your brother's arsenals may provide."
    "Pah!" Antiochos almost spits out. "He may have access to the finest smithies of the Empire and - oh! - he may be a Strategos in his office, a genius of desk-tactics, but he has yet to see a single battle, while I have lost count of mine!"
    That could very well be true, Andromachos has to admit silently.
    "Besides. I have not come completely alone from Arabia, although I had some choices to make and I've been told that some of my fellow passengers have not traveled as conveniently as on the travel there."
    "Ah, oh, Basileus, I would be honored if you take my oldest son, Antiochis, with you, as a sign of my devotion to you and that, urm, there is no reason to doubt my loyalty."
    The addressee nods approvingly. "Very well. Then my son Euphorion may stay here in Persepolis and learn the ways of the east."

For information on new character see following spoiler:
    Andromachos Syriakos
    Function: Satrap of Persis
    Seat: Persepolis
    Father: Achaios Syriakos, brother of Antiochos I Soter
    Brother: Alexandros Syriakos, Satrap of Susiane
    Sons: Antiochis; Xenoitas
    Personality: Similar to his father and his brother, a man with little ambition; His passion is the beauty of life; Has proven a lucky hand with governing the province, although his enthusiasm starts to lack.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 11-04-2008 at 16:32.

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

All i can say is AWESOME AAR man! Keep it up.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Blackeyes View Post
    All i can say is AWESOME AAR man! Keep it up.
    Thanks! And I can reveal we are approaching a highlight in my campaign, if you haven't guessed yet

Chapter 26: Amongst Colleagues

Lysimachos Sardikos is led to his host's private chambers. As he arrives, Apollonides arises from his seat to take his guest by the shoulders. "Welcome, dear colleague! You are looking good. I hope your journey went well. Come, have a seat with me."
    "I thank you, Apollonides, for your hospitality. I'm fine and the journey to Ipsos not too far to enjoy it," answers the Satrap of Lydia and follows.
    After sitting down Apollonides closely examines his counterpart. "Would you like to have a snack to refresh from the ride or perhaps something to drink?"
    Lysimachos is a handful of years younger, a pair of lively, watchful eyes betraying an agile mind. A warm smile shows on his lips. "I have to thank you again, but I don't need anything at the moment. I would be honored to sup with you later, though."
    Be careful, Apollonides reminds himself. He is a dangerous man, as dangerous as a beast of prey that is concealing its fierce brutality under its elegance and a beautiful fur.
    The Satrap of Phrygia smiles back. "It will be my honor and a pleasure to do so." The games may begin, he thinks. "Perhaps the prince will join us, then."
    A look of surprise on Lysimachos' face and Apollonides is not sure if it is true or well-acted. "He is here? Today?"
    "Oh, yes, he is. But he won't stay for long." He pauses a moment, waiting for a reaction, which is not coming. "The regent, your father-in-law, has requested him to come to Seleukeia for an assignment of importance. We are right now preparing for his departure. The Royal Road will be secure for most of the way, but I send a strong body of cavalry with him, to make sure he will arrive his destination."
    Another pause. "You certainly understand." A small statement, as such meaningless, but maybe implying the unspoken, maybe not. You can't trust anyone these days, can you?
    Lysimachos slowly nods. His mind is working. Definitely he knows he's none the wiser than before.
    The guest calmly answers: "It is good I'll have the opportunity to meet him again. I'm lucky I haven't come tomorrow."
    "Yes, that is true. Very well," adds Apollonides, now considering to lead over to a nice, innocuous conversation about the latest development in mining business.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 11-14-2008 at 19:13.

Good update, Lysimachos! It's really nice to read you AAR from time to time, for the reasons I've forementioned, but also because the Arche Seleukeia are my second favorite faction!

Maion
    ~Maion

Good update, Lysimachos! It's really nice to read you AAR from time to time, for the reasons I've forementioned, but also because the Arche Seleukeia are my second favorite faction!

Maion
    Your comments are always welcome! As a matter of fact I'm right now considering to join the ranks of the Synedrioi in your interactive campaign, because the introduction of rivalling parties has stirred my interest again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    Your comments are always welcome! As a matter of fact I'm right now considering to join the ranks of the Synedrioi in your interactive campaign, because the introduction of rivalling parties has stirred my interest again.
    Well, just the fact that someone like you reads my AAR is very honoring to me!

Maion
    ~Maion

Got soul but I'm not a soldier Member Socy's Avatar

Not only do I love reading your AAR (Though I do not post as often, yet still!), which in my opinion is like a well-written book, but having you onboard in Maion's AAR would be totally awesome, especially since your knowledge, language and interaction seems to be just like the stuff that would really contribute in that AAR! I hope we'll see each other there, either as comrades, or as rivals!

Well, just the fact that someone like you reads my AAR is very honoring to me!

Maion
    Now that is more than I deserve, you are flattering me!

Quote Originally Posted by Socy View Post
    Not only do I love reading your AAR (Though I do not post as often, yet still!), which in my opinion is like a well-written book, but having you onboard in Maion's AAR would be totally awesome, especially since your knowledge, language and interaction seems to be just like the stuff that would really contribute in that AAR! I hope we'll see each other there, either as comrades, or as rivals!
    Thanks to you, too. I'll need to think about an interesting background story before I can promise anything.

Got soul but I'm not a soldier Member Socy's Avatar

Now that is more than I deserve, you are flattering me!

Thanks to you, too. I'll need to think about an interesting background story before I can promise anything.
    Well, it would be nice if you did, but really, just have a place of birth, small background (Family, etc.) and your position. My own backstory kind of started like that and I'm evolving it as the AAR grows. Just an idea, join in on the fun and you will eventually get a background!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast