Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Default The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

Don't let yourself be fooled by my name, I'm not going to take revenge from inside Seleukos' Palace for what he has done to me ;)

Some notes about my concept and background, which you may read before or after the chapter:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - I'm running EB on a notebook which is some years old and which has a graphics chip that is not designed for 3d, so it has some problems displaying some things. Thus there will be only few screenshots from battles (in some distances there simply are black blots instead of men) and from the stratmap itself (which is shown mostly in shades of grey and black), because it would just be ugly. As battle descriptions are mostly text, I'll try to make them a bit more colourful than they really were (in fact I autoresolve most of my battles). Scrolls are no problem, but i'm prone to forget taking screenies...
    - Due to the specs of my computer i play with “normal” unit sizes (phalanx unit 60 + 2 officers). When referring to numbers of soldiers, i multiply the number from the game by 20, so that a nearly full or full stack has about 16 to 22 thousand soldiers, which is not to much for a successor's army, in my opinion. Really small skirmishes will not be represented at this scale, but could have an appearance in text. EDIT: I might change this to a factor of 40, as I have seen most people multiplying the huge unit scale by ten (and since huge equals normal x 4...)
    - I think a story about a huge empire is of more interest if it is not too powerful. This has some consequences for my game:
    - You may notice that I'm playing quite passive. It is possible to make some serious progress against the ptolemies in rather short time, but this is not what I want, as I have to preserve them as a strong rival, able to get me in serious trouble later on.
    - The Seleucids have seen the legitimation of their rule 1. in Alexander's instruction to appoint the one as his heir who proves strongest and 2. in the makedon tradition of a military kingdom, meaning a king gets his legitimation by his assembled host (don't know if there is a technical term in english language). Thus, in contradiction to the ptolemaic practice, the seleucid Kings lead their armies by themselves. This means for me that a major campaign will only be lead by the King or his heir, who often served as a co-ruler because of the vast territory of the empire. This, in turn, has some practical consequences, as the fate of the kingdom will depend greatly on the wits and health of its king...
    - I'm sure there will be some weak kings in the future, but i hope, i'll get someone who qualifies as a “Megas”, too :)
    - I'm twisting history, but I also try to use it as inspiration or guideline (for example that military kingdom thing).
    - I know I'm inconsistent in my use of british or american english, so please just don't bother

Chapter 1: Baptism by Fire

Dust is dispersed when two feet hit the ground. The feet are clad in light boots of soft, red leather, which have become gray from a long travel, as has the dark red cloak which the tall young man has wound around his shoulders. The man's beard has grown wild, as he had not allowed himself to have it shaved for several weeks, but the piercing glance of his clear and proud brown eyes reveal that this had to be a man of most noble birth.
    With long, resolute steps he covers the last few meters to the height of the hill, while one of his inferiors takes hold of his horse's reins, a black arabian steed of beautiful and noble physique.
    With folded arms the young man watches the plain in the south, squinting because of the burning sun of the early afternoon. In the distance a small cloud of dust reveals the approach of several horsemen.
    “Oh, Strategos, our scouts are returning!” exclaimes an aide nearby. “I'm not blind!” answers the annoyed young general in a harsh voice. He turns to the speaker. “Nor am I deaf!”

The young Strategos' name is Theodoros, son to Antiochos Soter and Kleronomos Basileois of the Arche Seleukeia, since Antiochos had his first born executed for treason. The realm of Seleukos Nikator sees difficult times, now in the 42nd year of the Seleucid Era, the eleventh year of Antiochos' rule.
    In the west, the conflict with Ptolemaios II Philadelphos has not yet been settled and the seleucid influence in Asia Mikra is fading, while in the east Satraps and Vassals of the Arche gain confidence in their own strength and the absence of central power and the first of them even dare to challenge Antiochos' hegemony.
    Two years ago Antiochos lead his men to Syria to fight the Ptolemaioi. He send his second born, Theodoros, to the east to restore order and authority in the empire's eastern satrapies, while Sarpedon, the third born, was declared Emporiarches and head of the bureaucracy and set up residence in Seleukeia on the west bank of the Tigris to secure the functionality of trade and administration while the crisis lasts.

Theodoros set out with only a few soldiers and lead his men in a forced march through Media, gathering forces, poorly trained and rather a bunch of armed peasants and shepherds than an army, consisting of mostly Persians and Medians, but also Sogdianes, Armenians and even some Arachosians and Dahae.
    While Theodoros traveled eastwards he ordered the garrisons in Sogdiana and Dayuan to be abandoned, because he considered them as undefendable for now, even if the Satrap of Baktria would send some of his troops for assistance.
    When the army approached Hekatompylos, news were delivered that a force of Parnoi, a tribe of the Dahae, nomads and pillagers who were living in the steppes east of the Caspian Sea, had been marauding in Astauene and setting siege to Asaak for some month before marching west through Hyrkania. Although Theodoros knew his army was lacking troops for a line of battle, he ordered the march through the mountains down to the hyrkanian coast to confront the incursors, without some rest for the exhausted soldiers.

“Strategos! We have come to late, Zadrakata has fallen!” The scouts belonged to Theodoros' arachosian cavalry, one half of his light cavalry. The other half were Dahaen, on whom he rather kept an eye, mistrusting them in a fight against their brothers from the Parnoi, as they owed loyalty to Theodoros' coins at best.
    “No,” Theodoros answers, while mounting his horse, “we are just in time. We will descend upon them, while they are still celebrating their victory, drunken and tired of fighting. And with the guidance of the gods we will teach them how a descendant of Seleukos deals with betrayal!”

The red sun has just risen above the hills of Hyrkania, to greet the new day. Its light is reflected by the points of two thousand and four hundred pikes, carried by Theodoros' levy phalangitai, the light troops, nearly one and a half time that much, advance before them, on the flanks the light cavalry from Arachosia and the Dahaens, behind them the Strategos himself, accompanied by his own Ile, somatophylakes of makedonian descend.
    Reluctantly had Theodoros refrained from attacking the day before: too tired his men, too late the day. But now he was ready to teach the Parnoi their last lesson.
    Theodoros wears his fine armor which marks him as the general, but not yet his helmet, because it obscures his view. The Parnoi have assembled behind the palisade, which still shows the breaches that were cut in the assault. These breaches now shall be used against them. Theodoros' troops outnumber the enemy, but he suspects the Parnoi to be better fighters individually. Luckily, they are not able to use their horse archers to best efficiency, as they are trapped behind the walls.
    Shouts sound from the first ranks. The enemy has begun to shot at the approaching Parsoi. The army comes to a halt and the battle of archers begins, while the pikemen, levied and poorly trained, nervously await the things to come.
    Volley after volley is fired over the palisade and the Thanvare Pahyadag and Shuban-i Fradakhshana seem to gain the advantage over the less numerous Shivatir-i Pahlavanig and Daha Baexdhzyntae who can not exploit their mobility. The air is filled with the sound of arrows beeing loosened, for a time which seems endless. But finally, silence falls on the battlefield.
    A break, a tension which almost hurts, nature itself seems to hush, no bird's song is to be heard. Only the heated air seems to whirr, entangling the soldiers' minds, making armor and weapons a heavy burden – then, another signal. The phalangitai are ordered to advance.
    The Auletai play the flutes, governing the tact of the pikemens' lockstep. The Taxeis move forward in tight formation, they slide over the grass like wooden rectangles on a table. The distance shortens, the Phalangitai approach the gaps left in the palisade.
    But then, it happens: The untrained men lose their step when entering through the breach, the formation gets confused. The Verkhana Kofyaren, lightly armored infantry armed with axes, pour into the gaps in the formation, ruthlessly hacking their way through the terrified pikemen.
    At another breach in the wall, the phalanx has managed to enter the city, but the parnoi general, Harasp e Dahaen, throws his heavily armored cavalry into them.
    The battle now is on a knife's edge. The young prince sends his skirmishers into the fray: all or nothing. The general's Ile closes up fast, there: an opportunity for a charge – Xyston lowered, tension – and clash. The light hillmen burst asunder as the wedge of iron cuts through them, like a trieres with full drive cuts through the waves. Hillmen go to the ground, to the right and left, trampled by horses, impaled by lances. The charge slows down – Xyston dropped and Kopis released – slashing left and right – blood, blood, shouts, crying, iron, blood – everywhere, nothing else. Suddenly a commotion: the horse, the fine, the beautiful Arabian, bucks – the reins are loose – grasping – slipping – falling. Noise, blood, shouts, iron – everywhere, nothing else.
    Theodoros is on his knees. Noise, heat. Sensation fades away – the noise quiets down, the vision is blurred, only the whirring heat beyond the helmet remains. The delirious mind wanders. Theodoros watches himself, this morning, on his horse, in front of the troops. They looked up to him, waiting for his encouragement, waiting for a straw to grip to avoid decline, in their first battle. Looking up to him, the Kleronomos Basileois, in shining armor, worth more than they can imagine. He watches himself talking, not hearing a word. He tries to remember what he told them. He spoke about the gods, about faith and the confidence in the aid from the gods. He spoke about Seleukos, who is Apollo's mortal son and whose grandson he is. Then, he told them to say their prayer and they kneeled down. If we have faith, we will prevail. Then he hears something. Quiet, far away, but slowly growing louder. A scream, maybe. Then, the sound of metal, hammering on metal. Shouting, fighting. Blood. With a strong impulse Theodoros darts upwards – a man tumbles in front of him, the chest breaking open with a stream of blood, giving way for the tip of a Kontos, thrusted with might from horseback. It is the man Theodoros blustered yesterday. No time to think about. Act fast. A leap, a grip, a strong pull. The armored rider is irritated, strongly leans to the side, tries to find his balance. The prince drops the Kontos, now he gets a grip at the rider's arm, another pull and a hard slash into the face. Merely a glimpse of time is gone when Theodoros draws himself onto the horse.
    Finally he has some overview. The streets are still in chaos, but only few are still fighting and the battle is won, at a high price.

Wellllll, please tell me if you'd like something like this, will you?
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 03-07-2009 at 12:26.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Default Re: The Legacy of Megas Alexandros - a seleucid AAR

i wish you luck in the campaign. I played the AS in 1.0. It was fun, but i never had enough money. I would try to build troops to defend the cities, and then start losing money, and then i would try to build infranstructure to pay for the troops, and i wouldn't be able to build more troops to replace the ones i lost. It was a vicious cycle that ended with me quitting the campaign.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tristrem
    i wish you luck in the campaign. I played the AS in 1.0. It was fun, but i never had enough money. I would try to build troops to defend the cities, and then start losing money, and then i would try to build infranstructure to pay for the troops, and i wouldn't be able to build more troops to replace the ones i lost. It was a vicious cycle that ended with me quitting the campaign.
    actually, you can make money. you need to do this (if in 1.0)
    1-move capital further east
    2-raise taxes in the heartland, lower in the hinterland
    3-disband as many troops as possible from heartland provinces (no gov? leave 1 unit. if w/gov, then all but the gov are scrapped.
    4-if you want, abandon the frontier areas. you can get them back later
    doing these, I made 10000 mnai a turn. save and then do this:
    1-cut your empire into several sectors (I do it like so: Asia minor, Syria, iraq/west persia, and the east)
    2-work your way from east to west in administration.

that's it! I won the campaign in 205BC
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

I moved my capital to Seleukeia, which fits with the story, as Sarpedon does the management from there while Antiochos and Theodoros are on warfare. I have normal taxes whereever i have a unselfish governor and as high as possible elsewhere. The money i earn is enough to maintain a decent army for the Basileus and a smaller, worse one for the heir and to build some buildings, so it's okay right now.
    I'm not going to be as systematical as you've been, as it all depends on the preferences of the ruling persons and i'm not going to win the campaign so early :) Perhaps i won't be able to hold together the empire, ah, so be it. The Seleucids haven't done it, neither.

By the way, thanks for contribution, both of you!

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Great, finally a Seleukid AAR! That was a good read for an introduction. Good luck with your laptop and - of course - perseverance with this campaign!

I liked the last part. I think you caught the heat-of-battle-moment quite good. Looking forward for more.
    Last edited by I of the Storm; 06-04-2008 at 09:55.

Great start! I love story aars... and I love the Seleucids - undoubtedly my favorite vanilla faction,(and multiplayer faction) and arguably EB faction as well... only thing I dislike about the EB implementation is the cataphract reforms... painful to get.

Let's see who gets the Megas title, although sometimes it's much more interesting to see the not so Megas characters.

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm
    Great, finally a Seleukid AAR! That was a good read for an introduction. Good luck with your laptop and - of course - perseverance with this campaign!

I liked the last part. I think you caught the heat-of-battle-moment quite good. Looking forward for more.
    Thank you! The battle had my special attention, because i had fear that a text only battle would be boring if it is written in long, complicated sentences, so i tried something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldaemon
    Great start! I love story aars... and I love the Seleucids - undoubtedly my favorite vanilla faction,(and multiplayer faction) and arguably EB faction as well... only thing I dislike about the EB implementation is the cataphract reforms... painful to get.

Let's see who gets the Megas title, although sometimes it's much more interesting to see the not so Megas characters.
    Hehe, i think there is plenty opportunity for ... ambivalent ... characters and disputable decisions

By the way, my next chapter will feature negotiations about surrender of a city, too, but in a less epic way It has still to be written, though.

It has still to be written, though.

Chapter 2: Prize of the day

The man quickly ascends the bank where the greatest tent marks the center of the encampment. He is clad in expensive armor and in his hand he holds a helmet decorated with two plumes. The guards at the tent salute him and lead him through the entrance.
    The tent is huge and parted in several sections, each of them big enough to shelter a Pentekostys. The man, having been in the bright sunlight, blinks, until he can see more clearly in the semi-darkness of the tent. It is highly decorated with fine weapons and armor, furs of a white bengal tiger, a leopard and an asiatic black bear and excellent artistry in painted clay, gold and silver, from India and all over the seleucid realm.
    In the center sits his king, Antiochos, son of Seleukos and descendant of Apollo himself, called Soter – Saviour – because he defeated the seemingly invincible galatian hordes, ruler of an empire that stretches from the Aegean to the borders of India. He sits there, concentrated, fingers at his temples, surrounded by clerks and secretaries. One of them is slowly reading some figures to his king. Antiochos beckons him to stop, as he has sighted his Somatophylax entering the tent.
    “Philippos, my companion in many battles. What is your desire?”-”The city has send a delegation. They wish to negotiate.” Antiochos slightly nodded. “I will meet them outside. But let them wait. I won't be summoned by slaves.”-”As you order, my king.” Antiochos waves away the clerks and calls for the Pais basilikos, the royal page, to put on his best armor.

Antiochos steps out of the tent, into the sunlight that is reflected by the polished metal and makes him shine himself, a true warrior king, helmet on his head, Kopis by his side and the scars on his skin bear witness of countless battles.
    “Ah, Philippos!” he calls the Somatophylax who is waiting there, holding the reins of the Basileus' horse. The leap onto the horse reveals the strength which the king's body still possesses, but his eyes seem tired. Antiochos leans down to the side where his bodyguard stands. “Philippos, tell me, how can a man bear the wish to be a king? It is no gift, it is a burden, which the gods put on my shoulders to test my strength.” Philippos silently looks up to his king. Then, after a moment, he, who knows that Antiochos had to have his own first born son executed for treason, speaks in a light voice. “I have fought in many fights, side by side with you, my king, and maybe there will be the day that I will give my life to protect yours. I can not, and no other man can, help you bear this burden, but I will do anything to prevent you from perishing under it, as I have sworn and will do again if you deem it appropriate.”
    The two men look at each other in silence, until Antiochos straightens up. “So let us finish this.”

Antiochos slowly rides through the camp. In the south the Polis of Tarsos on the Cydnos, most important settlement in Kilikia, is to be seen. Antiochos had several reasons to lead his host here, away from Syria. Who controls Tarsos, controls Kilikia and Kilikia has some passes, broad enough to march an army through them, into the center of Asia Mikra. Antiochos still has the wish to dominate the rich region, but without a direct route from Syria the only connection would be through Armenia. The kilikian coast offers several harbors and an intact port under control of Ptolemaios situated in the back of Syria would always pose a considerable threat. At last, Antiochos had hoped that Ptolemaios would recognize the importance of Tarsos for his enemy and send an army, so a decisive battle could be fought, because the war in Syria has become sort of a stalemate.

A trumpet's flourish announced his coming. The delegation is waiting on the camp's drillground, surrounded by guards, who form a cordon for their king. Antiochos slowly approaches and examines the emissaries, a dozen men, civilians, no one in military attire. He stops his horse some meters away. “So, what is this about?”
    The party's leader makes a step forward and takes a bow. “My name is Cratippos Pisidikos, Basileus. The folk of our city has send us to speak with you. We are here to negotiate the terms of surrender.”
    “Negotiate?” Antiochos leads his horse so its head is only an arm's length away from the emissary's emaciated face, then he leans forward and calmly begins to speak: “You want to discuss terms, so I'll tell you my terms: You surrender or you will die. These terms are not open to negotiations.” He pronounces every syllable of the last word with emphasis. Then Antiochos looks over the scared faces of the delegates. He raises his voice.
    “You are forgotten, none will come to save you. I will stay here, slaughter your lambs and harvest your grain and it will nourish my soldiers. I will stay here until the hunger makes you eat your dead. I will stay here until mothers will relish the flesh of their own children and I will sit here and watch, drink persian wine and eat rhodian olives and the breast of a syrian dove. I will hold court in front of the gates to your city until therein no single man will have the strength to take another breath!”
    After these words he turns his horse towards the cordon and leaves the delegation behind. Silence falls on the square, only the clapping of the horse's hooves and the wind, blowing from the sea, remain.
    “Wait, Basileus! We accept your terms! Please, show mercy!”
    Antiochos again turns back and with a cold smile on his face his gaze rests on Tarsos, prize of this day.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 09-10-2008 at 13:20.

Mooooooore! Mooooooore! Mooooore!

You have Antiochos, by the Gods, you have him! Loved this to bits! I want to pull out my hair for not trying to do a Seleucid aar , because now I'll never try to do one - yours is already showing to be just way too good.

Moooreeee! Mooore! Mooore!
    <=======is officialy addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldaemon View Post
    Mooooooore! Mooooooore! Mooooore!

You have Antiochos, by the Gods, you have him! Loved this to bits! I want to pull out my hair for not trying to do a Seleucid aar , because now I'll never try to do one - yours is already showing to be just way too good.

Moooreeee! Mooore! Mooore!
    <=======is officialy addicted.
    Urm, thank you. I have not dreamed to have a junkie from just two small chapters

I realized i have to correct some spelling errors...

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    Urm, thank you. I have not dreamed to have a junkie from just two small chapters

I realized i have to correct some spelling errors...
    What can I say, I just can't resist quality storytelling and Seleucids mixed together.

And spelling, smelling, don't worry about it... the only suggestion I would make - and this is JUST a minor personal preference - don't take it as criticism - is to add a few more spaces to delimitate paragraphs some more - like for example the second part of the first entry is one big wall of text - a good one though.

the only suggestion I would make - and this is JUST a minor personal preference - don't take it as criticism - is to add a few more spaces to delimitate paragraphs some more - like for example the second part of the first entry is one big wall of text - a good one though.
    You mean the part with the battle? I had put it in one block to make it less easy to read to enhance the effect of those sentence fragments, but i'll think about what can be done about it.

You mean the part with the battle? I had put it in one block to make it less easy to read to enhance the effect of those sentence fragments, but i'll think about what can be done about it.
    Ah, I see, it makes sense now. Ignore my suggestion then in that case - I guess it's well thought out that way and works well.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Great AAR, finally Arche Seleukeia! Though I prefer the original Makedones, I sincerely hope you manage to reconquer Alexandros' Empire and even beyond that! Would do with some battle pics, though;)
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    Great AAR, finally Arche Seleukeia! Though I prefer the original Makedones, I sincerely hope you manage to reconquer Alexandros' Empire and even beyond that! Would do with some battle pics, though;)
    I'll see what i can do, but it will take some chapters until i can show battlepics, as i have played a while ahead of the story.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 06-06-2008 at 18:54.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

“You are forgotten, none will come to save you. I will stay here, slaughter your lambs and harvest your grain and it will nourish my soldiers. I will stay here until the hunger makes you eat your dead. I will stay here until mothers will relish the flesh of their own children and i will sit here and watch, drink persian wine and eat rhodian olives and the breast of a syrian dove. I will hold court in front of the gates to your city until therein no single man will have the strength to take another breath!”
    Now that's a quote worthy of an EB loading screen.

Good job so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Now that's a quote worthy of an EB loading screen.

Good job so far.
    Thank you very much, that is some compliment :)

At max 24 hours till next update, though i'm not fully satisfied with it yet...

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

you put Genkis khan to shame wth the threat..
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Take your time...

Chapter 3: A family reunion

The Margos is calmly streaming southward. Beyond the river lies Antiocheia Margiana. There seems to be a huge conglomerate of tents situated between city and shore, tents of many different sizes and workings. Small columns of smoke rise among the tents.
    Theodoros is unsure. He has ordered his horsemen to stop a few miles south of the river, when he spotted the camp. He is waiting, thinking about whose encampment it could be.
    Theodoros turns around to the Ilearches of the Arachosians. “Send some of your men to have a look. We have to know who is sitting there.”-”As you order, Strategos.” Theodoros watches the officer picking a hand full of men from his Ile.

In the bloody battle at Zadrakarta Theodoros had lost half of his infantry. The other half he left behind to secure Hyrkania and only took the cavalry with him to reach Margiana as soon as possible. He had not found much rest since his father had appointed him responsible for the eastern provinces, so the prospect of a night in a bed was tempting and further delay a serious threat to his well being.

The Arachosians quickly return. “Strategos! They are no soldiers, but refugees. They say the Sakai have overrun Sogdiana and crossed the Oxos.”-”Oh, well, refugees.” Theodoros feels a bit silly, because a bunch of fugitives worried him so much, but does not allow himself a thought about the Sakai.

The horsemen march through the streets, lined with watchers. At the front rides the Kleronomos Basileois, surrounded by his Somatophylakes, attired in expensive armor under their dusty cloaks.
    The nomad riders make the people uneasy, too many have lost loved ones to warriors like this, men of the steppes.
    Theodoros and his men approach the main square, where the seat of the satrap is situated, who certainly is informed of their arrival. The governor's house is a piece of greek architecture, as are most of the public buildings in the town. Antiochos had issued the rebuilding and renamed the settlement which had been known as Alexandreia for some years.
    Theodoros dismounts and commands his Ilearchoi to follow him. The three men ascend the steps to the residence. The guards salute and an officer bids Theodoros to follow him.

“Ah, Theodoros. It seems the young man i knew has become a proud warrior.” It is Achaios, brother of Basileus Antiochos, uncle to Theodoros and father of Laodike, Theodoros' young wife. Theodoros does not know him well, but he remembers that the brothers are quite different in character, Achaios being less ambitious, determined and serious than his father.
    Achaios has become old, but in his eyes still twinkles the wit of an uncorrectable libertine. Theodoros takes a slight bow, suitably showing respect. “I greet you, my uncle. You seem to be well. I bid you to accord my soldiers a warm meal and a bedding.”-”This shall of course be granted.” Achaios beckons one of his officers to fulfill, who leaves with Theodoros' Ilearchoi.
    The king's brother rests his hand on Theodoros' shoulder. “Now you come with me.”

The two men rest on divans while one slave fills goblets with wine and another one massages Theodoros' tense neck. Achaios begins to speak. “You may not have heard news from the Basileus. He has taken Kilikia. Bustling as always, he is.” A faint smile flits around his lips.
    “That is excellent news, but maybe you want to tell me about less good ones.”-”Ah, yes. We have some trouble to retain order in the province. We have called back the garrisons from Sogdiana and Dayuan, as you have ordered and now the Sakai have taken control. They obviously have a pact with the Parnoi, as they have been spotted to move together through the province. My scouts tell me, the Parnoi and Sakai are not far from the city, but i did not have the forces to confront them.”
    All this bloody excitement is not to Achaios' liking, being a man of women, wealth and wine, not of weapons.
    Theodoros waves the slave away, takes a big gulp of his wine and lays back. He closes his eyes and sighs. “I have brought a strong troop of cavalry. Maybe this will give us an edge. We will have to draw up a battle plan. But first, I'll have a shave.”

Once again, Theodoros rides ahead of his horsemen. He has designed a daring plan.
    Achaios leads the infantry, a strong phalanx, assisted by light infantry, a dependable force, but not flexible enough to precipitate a decisive battle with the riders of the steppe. This is now Theodoros' task.
    He sends out his own horse archers. They are harassing the Parnoi, provoking them to follow, to leave their infantry behind. The parnoi cavalry is drawn far away from their footmen. Then, the trap begins to close. Theodoros' Arachosians engage the enemy light cavalry, his Somatophylakes the armored Dahae nobles. They are not meant to win this fight, being outnumbered by the Parnoi, but they hold their ground, pin them down until Achaios' men arrive, quickly coming up and the fight turns in favor of the Greek. It is an intense battle, the steppe riders fight fiercely, but finally they are crushed and only few survive.
    No time for rest, yet: Theodoros gathers his men, leads the cavalry in between the Parnoi infantry and their Sakai allies, who approach from the north, to force the Parnoi into another direction.
    Now it is Achaios' turn again: The Phalanx quickly defeats the segregated men, while the Sakai are hesitating. They have come to late to save their allies and now they are isolated, too.
    The two generals direct the army along a slope toward the riders from the east. A short exchange of arrows, a resolute push forward and the Sakai retreat, seeing no perspective in a fight.

While Achaios took care of the battlefield and the recovery of the fallen, has Theodoros kept the retreating Sakai under surveillance for some time, to make sure that they won't come back to soon.
    The cavalry again joins the victorious army, as it is marching through the gates. Achaios awaits his nephew, his eyes show respect.
    “You have fought well and proven bravery. My brother has to be glad to have such a son. My own sons all are useless gamblers and philanderers, just like me.” He brakes out in resounding laughter and turns his horse towards the gate.

I'm sorry for this short and unloving battle description, but the battle has been autoresolved and i just didn't get into the right mood to make up something more thrilling.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 06-09-2008 at 11:23.

I'm sorry for this short and unloving battle description, but the battle has been autoresolved and i just didn't get into the right mood to make up something more thrilling.
    That could very well be the best description ever of an auto-resolved battle. Good update, I see you are winning on all fronts.

I see you are winning on all fronts.
    That's just momentarily. My borders are fragile and i'm sure some day this will be to the benefit of my enemies. Which is not absolutely unwanted, as i explained before.

That's just momentarily. My borders are fragile and i'm sure some day this will be to the benefit of my enemies. Which is not absolutely unwanted, as i explained before.
    Aye, tragedy and defeat sometimes make for much better writing material.

Chapter 4: A syrian night (R-rated...)

The sun is still high on the sky, heating the plain and reflecting in the gentle waves of the Orontes.
    A hand full of cloaked riders is cantering across the bridge, down the road. They hurry, they don't pause, ride on imperturbably, as if the change of day and night depend on it.

It has become late, the sun is bent for her deserved rest, only the upper heights of Silpios are still bathed in red light. The travelers have luck, the Alep-gate is not closed, yet. They move through the gate, don't dismount, still hurrying on. The riders gallop through the colonnaded alley, the axis of Antiocheia on the Orontes. They don't spend a glaze on the city's artistic architecture, they don't let themselves be drawn into the humming, heated summer night life of the metropolis, but push on, along the main road, then to the west, onto the island where the outline of the royal palace rises into the night sky.
    The guards address the approaching party, but quickly back away. The riders dismount, one is quickly ascending the steps to the mostly unlighted palace, while the other three take the horses' reins.

A young woman in a young night. She is standing at her patio, looking down into the garden, where a fountain is quietly bubbling. Nature is lethargic of the day's heat, which is fading slowly.
    The gracile fingers of her left hand run through her long, unbound hair, which is dark as ebony. Her immaculate body, white as alabaster, is covered by a cape of silk, which has traveled a long way from the east until it became her gown.
    The young woman is closing her eyes. The sound of the bubbling fountain, chirping crickets. Rustling of drapery. This is wrong. She opens her eyes, shuddering. She does not dare to move.
    The sound of calm breath. Quiet steps. She feels the sweat running along her spine.
    She knows, someone is standing right behind her, his breath touching her neck, she feels the presence, almost a touch. With a fragile voice she speaks: “You should not be here, you don't know who i am. My king will be relentless.” A soft, calm laugh, only the width of a hand from her ear.
    The tip of a tongue touches her earlap, running along it. Her heart almost stops beating.
    The man is whispering: “I am your king.”
    The tension falls, unspeakable relief. Antiochos kisses her neck, gently turning her around.
    “My king, you are back. An emissary has come to...” He stops her speaking by kissing her lips, then pulls off her cape, revealing the impeccable beauty of her young body. He kisses her chest. “I know that.” Antiochos goes down on his knees, his hands fondling her back, kissing her belly. She shudders, as his lips and tongue feel their way down and a deep-drawn sigh escapes her lips.

The palace is awakening. The morning has not come, but noise is growing, torches are ignited, the king has ordered to wake the emissary. The king? He is here? How is this possible?
    Antiochos has not been expected before the next week and now he is here, in his capital, in the middle of the night, surrounded by three of his most loyal bodyguards.

Antiochos awaits the emissary. His mood is great, he feels as young as ever, relaxed in mind and body, despite the long travel, while the delegate from Alexandreia is bleary-eyed and depleted. He has effort to stay upright and seems as if he would sell his king in exchange for a bed.
    Antiochos grins. Perfect conditions for fruitful negotiations.

Several hours later, the sky is already brightening in the east, the ptolemaic emissary is on his way back to bed, walking on his last legs. Peace is signed between the two most powerful of the Epigonoi, Ptolemaios II Philadelphos and Antiochos Soter. Kilikia and Koile Syria, apple of discord in this war stay under seleucid rule and Ptolemaios guarantees independence for the Kyrenaika, where Magas rules, son-in-law of Antiochos.

A truly wondrous night, in the great city on the Orontes.

I really could not resist to find a use for his "Hetaira Hyperkalles"
    Until now it works quite good without tragedy and defeat, but all success has to come to an end, i fear.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 09-13-2008 at 09:26.

It's GOOD to be the King. What can I say, your aar is ever entertaining.

We have "peace in our time" now.

Thank you :)

I see you are always here to comment when i'm posting ;)

Aye. Reading aar updates on this forum has become my religion. It's made easy by the fact I spend a lot of time writing on my computer, (no, not for my aar) and soloing in AoC (and alt tabing out everytime I zone to surf a bit, due to soloing boredom overkill).

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Great AAR. Keep it up.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Thank you :)

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast