Thread: New teaser trailer is up

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default New teaser trailer is up

Link to download

Nothing substantial really, although I'll admit the water effects are pretty cool. Going by the music, I'd also say someone is a big fan of Battlestar Galactica.
    Last edited by Martok; 06-14-2008 at 02:30.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: New teaser trailer is up

Not a bad thing.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Well, I sure feel teased

Pretty nice, but, err.....that is not an in-game video......is it?
    I mean it has got to be pre rendered, kind of like the one they had in The Witcher intro.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 06-14-2008 at 04:37.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Mark O'Connell (SenseiTW) said a full version of the CGI trailer will be released later on. And no, it's not in-game footage; he said that too will come at a later date.

EDIT: Here's the link to the original thread at the .COM for anyone who's interested.
    Last edited by Martok; 06-14-2008 at 04:53.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Thanks for the link. I sure will be glad when they give us the min. system requirements for this!
    Last edited by rajpoot; 06-14-2008 at 05:16.

This is getting ludicrous. Was that teaser pointless or what?

This frustrates me somewhat. I think that if the game supposes to hit the stores in November, then the game should be at least in Alpha stage. Well at least in a situation where everything should be pretty much playable. They should be ironing things out. Yet there is very little coverage about the most important things like battles, strategy elements in them and the AI in them. I don't mind that there is no weekly blowout of videos and screenshots, matter in fact I hope there will never be campaign like that because that tells to me that they think that the game will sell itself. That means in my opinion that the developer trusts in the game and doesn't go for pushing the game in to the market. I just got to see some parts of the gameplay, a demo is a must. Then again I probably should be a bit more patient, it's just that I have high expectations about the new engine and think that the flexible/at least good AI (the AI in previous editions is dumb as hell) is a top priority in this game.

I hope SAGA kept their receipt for that.

Was that a teaser trailer of a teaser trailer?

Man that was poor, especially after news of a delay!

Quote Originally Posted by Praxil View Post
    This frustrates me somewhat. I think that if the game supposes to hit the stores in November, then the game should be at least in Alpha stage.
    Empire has been delayed until winter 2009: http://www.sega.co.uk/games/?g=238
    Last edited by Templar Knight; 06-14-2008 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by asj_india View Post
    Pretty nice, but, err.....that is not an in-game video......is it?
    I mean it has got to be pre rendered, kind of like the one they had in The Witcher intro.
    It better not be in-game, unless sailing ships are acting like powerboats. Two square-riggers under sail, meeting each other head-on? Notice the bowsprit on the second ship.

Maybe the graphics team is working in a separate area than the game coders or something, or maybe they farmed this out. But seriously. If they're going to target an audience for sail combat, they shouldn't be showing things like this.

Maybe they don't care that most of the audience wouldn't notice anything wrong, but there's bound to be a few who will raise a stink about this sort of thing. Why bother to go to all that work with modeling waves, weather, and ships, and then get the mechanics of sailing completely wrong?
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

(Somehow, whenever I'm clicking the Post a Reply button, I'm being redirected to the org home page, so I'm using quick reply.)

Truth be told I know no more about an 18th century ships construction than I know about operating a field gun, so, that really didn't make much sense to me, I'm a landlubber, lol what I really want is that they should have enough guns on them to cause an impressive boom when fired togather.
    But ofcourse, there's got to be 100% accuracy if they want to please everyone.
    If you want to know what the ships ingame are going to be like, check the screenshots we've been given previously, most of them have ships.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 06-14-2008 at 18:45.

Hey, I'm not even looking for 100% accuracy, because I value the "fun" aspect in these things too. Micro-managing all the nitty-gritty details of sail combat would be a nightmare... especially if they get too deep into damage control modeling. I just want some general sense that wind direction and the limitations of these ships will be a factor in the tactics. Otherwise, why bother?

Heck, I even liked the very simplified, cartoon-like sail combat in the second Pirates! game. At least it got the general sense of the sail combat mechanics right... you had an advantage starting the engagement upwind from your opponent, etc. That's all I'm asking for. I'd trade that any day for fancy-looking eye candy, and so far, all they're showing is eye candy with some disturbing-looking sail mechanics.

I can wait another year, if that's what it takes to do this right.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

Quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight View Post
    Empire has been delayed until winter 2009
    Well I took a look and it's not November 2008, but in first quarter of 2009. This means in first three months of 2009.

Hi guys,

I am pleased to confirm that Empire: Total War will be released in the first quarter of 2009. We are taking the time to make Empire as good as possible and fine-tune every aspect of the game.

Thanks,

Mark O'Connell
    (aka SenseiTW)
    http://totalwarforums.com/

I didn't know that. Now I don't see a reason to show an unfinished game in June 2008. Then again they shouldn't be doing teasers like these, that work amount could be used for better things.

I didn't know that. Now I don't see a reason to show an unfinished game in June 2008. Then again they shouldn't be doing teasers like these, that work amount could be used for better things.
    The trailer hasn't taken away anything from development time.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Anyways, I'm getting worried - almost everything communicated until now about ETW is about sea warfare.

I hope it won't be just the RTW engine with a sea battle upgrade.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

It's a brand new engine, all of it. We're most definitely not neglecting other parts of the game.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Thumbs up Re: New teaser trailer is up

Thank you Sir. I'm with TW since the good old glorious days of Shogun, I'll go with ETW as well, I'm looking forward to it and to new improvements.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

ffs

now i have to go watch master and commander..............i hate you all

fenir
    Time is but a basis for measuring Susscess. Fenir Nov 2002.

Mr R.T.Smith > So you going to Charge in the Brisbane Office with your knights?.....then what?
    fenir > hmmmm .....Kill them, kill them all.......let sega sort them out.

Well thats it, 6 years at university, 2 degrees and 1 post grad diploma later OMG! I am so Anal!
    I should have been a proctologist! Not an Accountant......hmmmmm maybe some cross over there?

now i have to go watch master and commander
    That's no bad thing.

Watched it the other day myself to get myself in the mood for Empire. Fantastic stuff.

Huzzah!