Thread: Question to CA about ingame Editors

Member Member MastodontfilmsMats's Avatar
    Look in your (1.5) Rome - Total War/data folder, in the export_descr_unit.txt file. That's where I live. Scroll down to barb berserker german and you've found me :D

Question Question to CA about ingame Editors

Hi, I hope a CA staff member reads this, but there should be more than just their staff who knows.
    My question is;
    Are there more editors ingame than just the battle editor or tools like the sprite generator?
    I've downloaded the WHTW mod to RTW 1.5, and at the end of the command line (at least I think it's the command line) of the shortcut in the mod to RomeTW.exe it says:
    -enable_editor -show_err
    In the mod i found a battle editor in the options menu. But it didn't work in the WHTW mod, it resulted in a CTD. So I created a new shortcut which I put in a folder that I called 'Editation' in the Rome - Total War folder. At the end of what I think is the command line of the shortcut I added:
    -enable_editor -show_err
    And when I used that shortcut the same battle editor appeared in the options menu of the game. But this time it worked.
    In this thread, https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=44180, JeromeGrasdyke explained how to access the Sprite Generator you used.
    So, are there more tools or editors that you can access by adding stuff to the command line?

Thank you.

Default Re: Question to CA about ingame Editors

If you look at the BI exe in a hex editor, and search for something like show_err, you will see a whole bunch of other supported parameters:

GameSpy parameters: Must include
    gs_chat_name <-- Optional. Sets your nickname, as it will appear in GameSpy chat. Use if you want it to be something other than gs_profilenick. For example, -gs_chat_name="HouseOfHam"
    gs_group_room <-- ??? Optional. Sample use: -gs_group_room="GROUPID"
    gs_game_password <-- Brings up the game password menu in RTW
    gs_namespaceid <-- ??? Optional. Sample use: -gs_namespaceid="1"
    gs_password <-- -Sample use: -gs_password="PLAYERPW". Ignored when used with -gs_lan
    gs_uniquenick <-- ??? Optional. Sample use: -gs_uniquenick="GPNAME"
    gs_profilenick <-- Nickname of your Gamespy profile. Sample use: -gs_profilenick="FarmerJoe".
    gs_email <-- Sample use: -gs_email="PLAYEREMAIL"
    gs_lan <-- Brings up the LAN menu in RTW. For example, to host a LAN game use: -gs_profilenick="FarmerJoe" -gs_lan -gs_host
    gs_host <-- Brings up the Gamespy host menu in RTW
    gs_join <-- Brings up the Gamespy join menu in RTW. Sample use: -gs_join="SERVER_IP"

gs_email, gs_profilenick and gs_password are used for authentication when connecting to GameSpy.

Combining them on the target line:

host template: -gs_host -gs_group_room="GROUPID" -gs_chat_name="PLAYERNAME" -gs_email="PLAYEREMAIL" -gs_profilenick="#PLAYERNAME#" -gs_uniquenick="#GPNAME#" -gs_password="#PLAYERPW#" -gs_namespaceid="1"

For example, to host a game on GameSpy, you'd use something like: -gs_host -gs_chat_name="HouseOfHam" -gs_email="my_gs_email@us.gov" -gs_profilenick="my_gs_nick" -gs_password="my_gs_password"

join template: -gs_join=#SERVERIP# -gs_group_room="#GROUPID#" -gs_chat_name="#PLAYERNAME#"[$SERVERPW$ -gs_game_password="#SERVERPW#"] -gs_email="#PLAYEREMAIL#" -gs_profilenick="#PLAYERNAME#" -gs_uniquenick="#GPNAME#" -gs_password="#PLAYERPW#" -gs_namespaceid="1"

sprite_script <-- sprite generator
    show_err <-- This one is commonly known. It basically shows scripting errors of all sorts.
    no_exit_error <-- possibly, tells the game not to abort on errors???
    movie_cam <-- movie cam mode. Sample use: -movie_cam:capture_video or -movie_cam:capture_audio -- AFAIK, this only works in v1.2 and earlier
    fbc
    enter_battles
    ai <-- have AI control player faction. Strategy map only. All battles are auto-resolved.
    unlock_campaign

sw <-- sounds only, no graphics
    ne <-- faster alt-tab switching, w/o reloading (window mode? doesn't change screen resolution)
    ae <-- something to do with After-Effects? Probably totally off the mark
    no_tnl <-- disables the Transform and Lighting feature where available. Quote from http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/TnL.html: "TnL or T&L, short for Transform and Lighting it refers to a hardware feature found on some graphics cards. TnL is separate engines on the GPU that enable extremely high polygon count scenes. With TnL technology some or all of the 3-D information normally processed by the computer processor is processed by the GPU. Transform performance determines how complex objects can be and how many can appear in a scene without sacrificing frame rate. Lighting techniques add to a scene's realism by changing the appearance of objects based on light sources."
    nm <-- no-movies mode
    na <-- no audio
    force_default_hz - something with sound?
    blank_ui_caches
    report_missing_images
    validate_models
    util <-- (Must supply options for utility mode): Use it as util:option. The possible options are sound, animdb, encrypt, unit_models.
    fpex <-- Probably used to log exceptions
    fperr <-- Probably used to log errors
    fplog <-- Probably specifies filename for the log, as in C/C++ FILE *fplog = fopen("my.log", "w+"); Usage: ??? Probably used for logging output from certain console commands
    enable_editor
    disr
    bookmark (limited to 256 chars)
    mod <-- Run with modifications from an auxiliary folder. For example, -mod:RTR
    multirun <-- probably lets you start multiple copies of RTW
    battle <-- Loads a battle, to use it, type battle:[battle_name]
    strat <-- Loads a campaign directly. Sample use -strat:sons_of_mars -- Campaign name is the name of the folder in world/maps/campaign/. If no campaign name is specified, loads the default campaign (imperial_campaign in vanilla). Use -ai:barbarian_invasion with BI. If non-existent campaign name is specified, CTD with no error
    battle_ed <-- Brings up the battle editor on startup. To edit an existing battle, -battle_ed:battle_name, for example -battle_ed:Trebia
    output_con_cmds <-- looks like this should create documentation/console_commands.txt ... but it doesn't
    sp
    engine
    custom
    engine_shadow
    rtm <-- The only thing I can think of is that it might somehow be related to Requirements Traceability Matrix, a tool used to analyze the relationship of two documents
    strat_ed <-- According to Gotthard at twc, doesn't work in the release version as it references files/folders that are not included
    all
    playable
    faction
    on
    info
    speed
    save
    daytime

Don't know what they all do. Feel free to experiment and post your results here. :)

ps: Some of the command descriptions were stolen from http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/...ns/index.shtml
    Last edited by HouseOfHam; 06-15-2008 at 03:32.
    RTR VII Developer

Look in your (1.5) Rome - Total War/data folder, in the export_descr_unit.txt file. That's where I live. Scroll down to barb berserker german and you've found me :D

uuuhh... that's a long list
    Think I'll just test those that sound interesting and skip the others.

But thanks, really great

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

unloack_campaign..does that unloack the scipio and caesar campaigns mentioned in the files, or something else. My vanilla has, er, died...
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

I tested:
    enter_battles
    unlock_campaign
    validate_models
    unit_models
    animdb
    default_campaign
    battle
    strat
    battle_ed
    strat_ed
    But I'm disapointed, I didn't notice anything different, except that battle_ed started the battle editor on startup, but when you exited you couldn't find under the options menu, so enable_editor is better. And strat started a Julii Campaign and battle closed on startup.
    It would be great if someone knew what they are supposed to do or what they're used for.

I imagine some of them need their own parameters, like the -mod:

Try -battle:Badon_Hill
    RTR VII Developer

I don't have BI, just 1.5, but I guess Badon Hill is a historical battle. So I tried with -battle:Trasimene but it still was the same.

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

The strat_ed was originally intended by CA but never finished. It seems much of the code in the exe that isn't in the core game is defunct, disabled or incomplete. There are many things such as the strat_ed that were intended to be released but in the end CA streamed the project to minimise cost and get the game on the market.
    Last edited by Thor the Bassist; 06-14-2008 at 20:23.

Building for the Future of METW

I'm going to do a bit more testing and update the first post as I find out more.
    RTR VII Developer

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

Hopefully you can find out something. CA's silence on this subject is annoying. For a while its been clear they wont release any more updates and yet they wont tell us whats already in the versions we have. Its a difficult job because I dont believe there's any way to tell the syntax without being wizard enough to read the code straight off.

Building for the Future of METW

Thank you HouseOfHam
    Really appreciated.