Thread: Wheeling 2 line formations?

Nice site, org fellas! Anyway, my question is this: Is there any way to wheel a group of (say five) units in more than one line on an axis so they maintain their formation? For example, say the formation is facing forward like this: (^ indicates direction)

^ a b c ^
    ^ d e ^

and you want them all to wheel and face this way and maintain the same formation:

oops...my diagram got screwed up cus all the text was moved to the right when it posted...hopefully the point is till got across...formation 2 is supposed to be identical to the first, still in two lines just facing at a 90 degree angle with the original.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

THe only way I can think to do that wheeling on unit a is to group all units in the formation you want, then alt right click to change the facing of the line. The line will pivot around it's middle axis. Then you have to advance the gorup using alt left click to maintain facing until unit a is where it started, this'll do the trick, but takes two commands where one would be easier.

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

sure there is!! refer to the manual under "grouping unit controls" ....basicly select the units you want to wheel together, press the group icon or the quick key " g " ,and use alt-right click in the direction you want them to face. once you do this if you want them to move faster than just plain old marching then hit ctrl-r and this will make them preform the same function in marching quickly mode. i find that even some of the old vets dont know about ctrl-r and i hope some of them read this. it is not a typo!!! ctrl-r really works!!! also use it when you draw a new formation using the click and drag method. without it they just march but if u issue the ctrl-r command after u have drawn the new formation they will all march quickly.

------------------
    do you have a comment to make, a question to ask, or a concern about a current fearful ways member? plz feel free to stop by Fearful Ways @ezboard.com

Cat!!! i was writing my helpful advice first!! bawaaaaaa thats not fair!!!

------------------
    do you have a comment to make, a question to ask, or a concern about a current fearful ways member? plz feel free to stop by Fearful Ways @ezboard.com

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

And they get tired quicker Cape. Ctrl R is useful, but i think of it as a finite bonus that you use up, save it for when you really need it. If you need to whell quickly to face a flank attack it's important, but just chaniging formation is waste ful

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

i couldnt agree more! fatuige managment is hugely important and must be concidered. i almost slaped myself for not including that point! be very careful when telling troops to march quickly and if anyone has any doubt as to the importance of fatuige they should download the battlefield calculator and do comparisons between fresh and tired units. the results may surprise some people.

------------------

I like grouped shift-click moves, although sometimes the units decided to change places.

It often helps get many units in a new place quite quickly, without micromanagment, but Alt-click has to be my favorite, I guess you would just need to do a shift-click to reface them at some point.

Were can you go to download the battlefield Calculator that you mentioned. Thanks for your help.

------------------
    seize the day
    seize the day

Takeda war banner: Swift as the wind
    Silent as a forest
    Fierce as fire
    Immovable as a mountains
    EasyCo Dojo

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

anyone who's ever been in the military or even somewhat associated with it knows that this game is missing two very important marching commands; column right/left and right/left flank.

you can almost approximate the column moves with the shift key and waypoints, but your formation will not quite be right. this definitely needs to be improved in the game.

what the others said about alt r-click works, but is somewhat clumsy to use. and when yer hot into a battle it makes micro management a bit of a pain. make sure when you use it that our troops end up facing the right way. it's easy to have them facing 180 from the way you want. practice it in custom games first. one other note on this; when you hit alt and then right click, make sure the cursor is NOT on the units themselves or it wont work and click in about the middle, just in front of, the formation. this will only alter the unit facing a tiny bit till you can move the cursor around a bit to get em where you want them to face.

K.