Thread: Siege Tower Glitch... Any advice?

Default Siege Tower Glitch... Any advice?

In my most recent campaign as Hayasdan, when I do battles involving siege towers, I get this really annoying glitch every so often where the soldiers get stuck before entering the tower, and just kind of jiggle around down at the bottom of the tower for the entire battle. Sometimes this happens to my own units, and sometimes the AI's. This picture shows what I'm talking about:

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=534906

This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but in the battle that the screenshot is from it happened in 2 out of 3 of Pontos' siege towers. The only way for me to finish the battle is to move my troops out of the gates and attack the tower from behind. This takes just a massive amount of time, and sometimes the siege tower randomly starts working again and the enemy troops will walk up and capture my gates while my troops are trying to get up behind them! So frustrating ha ha...

Now what I'm wondering is if anyone else ever experiences this glitch? If so, I'm looking for a workaround.. Alternatively, are there any cheats that I can use to get around this? Is there any way to instant kill a unit when it's stuck? Also, if I'm surely going to win, is there any way to quit out of a battle and have it count as a win (Like "auto_win defender" while a battle is in progress)

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Last edited by bugrat; 06-28-2008 at 01:07.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Siege Tower Glitch... Any advice?

That's a RTW bug. There is nothing modders can do to fix it.

I know of no midbattle cheats to win...
    If you are defending, you could just wait out the timer and get a draw.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 06-28-2008 at 01:31.

Thanks for the reply Marcus. I have Time Limits turned off, maybe I'll toggle those on now if I can.

I didn't know it was an original RTW glitch, but I'm not surprised, the stone walls in RTW always seemed to be the clunkiest feature of any game ever.. Maybe there's a cheat to remove all stone walls? I never build 'em myself.

BTW I meant to put this in the tech support forum.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Yeah, I always keep the time limit on to avoid bugs such as this one.
    Stone walls rarely manifest the bug, but the siege towers for the large stone walls will more often mess up.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Heh, remove stone walls? It's one of the first things I build in many of my newly-captured settlements, so I can reduce the garrison necessary to keep the place safe.

As said, siege towers are RTW-bugged, one of the reasons I always build ladders if I have the choice. Also more generally one of the many reasons I'll tend to autocalc sieges, rather than play them out.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Also more generally one of the many reasons I'll tend to autocalc sieges, rather than play them out.
    do you trust in the autocalc or do you give it a help? (ejem auto_win)
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3|| View Post
    do you trust in the autocalc or do you give it a help? (ejem auto_win)
    I'm playing on Medium campaign difficulty, so unless they seriously outnumber me, or have a 10-star general it's rarely a concern. Truth is if I played it out I'd usually get much lower casualties on my part; I just can't be bothered a lot of the time, sieges are boring.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 06-28-2008 at 19:09.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

this has happened a couple of times to me...the only way i found around it was to keep stopping them and telling them to climb up the walls again. about 10 soldiers get through every time before they all get stuck again. its slow but eventually they all get up. Just press backspace and then click on the wall again, and keep repeating till they are all up. If you have other issues across the battlefield and dont have time, my advice is to ditch the towers and capture the gate or some thing else
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Lightbulb Re: Siege Tower Glitch... Any advice?

I know this is a decade late, but I hope someone sees this who needs it. I can here looking for the same answer. And then I just started frustratedly telling my unit to run around the base of the tower. The sides, the back, the front.

Then I noticed more and more of them were "coming loose "of the tower, so I kept doing this. When only a small handful were left "attached" to the opening at the base, I told them to run away from the mouth of the tower completely, and they came loose.

So try that.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe a decade old, but people are still playing the game.

So thank you for your suggestion .

It definitely worked for me.

I'm playing Barbarian Invasion for the first time this month so, I hope late-comers don't feel like it's not worth it.