Thread: General Discussion

Current Blue Lotus TW Leader Member Rinsui's Avatar

Default General Discussion

Well. Feel free to throw in your own 2c here.
    Rinsui

Default Re: General Discussion

To continue our discussion from the other thread, Ticu: it turned out I could very well use one additional animation. If this is asked too much (as I said, I have no clue how much work this will take), just tell me. If not, you have a lot of time to finish it up, as they can be included at the very end. The other animation I could very well use is:
    1. A slow-moving 2-handed spear animation ("new type") for the Zhongmao Infantry
    Thanks in advance,
    take your time,
    Rinsui

Well, I've been busy with relatives lately, but I have been able to give the Chu Ko Nu animations a shot. Those crossbow animations really baffle me. I tried shortening the time on the hold animation, and when testing it, I was surprised to find that parts of the soldiers stretched out to the end of the map and beyond...

This only seems to happen to the crossbow animations, which, once again, seem to be all screwed up upon loading them. Of course, I'll try to find a workaround, as well as finish the other animation requests.

Anyway, it might seem a bit strange that I'm posting now, when I hardly did anything, but I just wanted to say that I will be going on a vacation with my family.

I might be able to work on some stuff on my laptop, but it's unlikely. I'll make another, hopefully better report, sometime soon.

Family > a > b > c > (...) > x > y > z > BLTW. No problem.
    Rinsui

Hi

Is this mod working for the campaign using the build from the updates thread ?

Thanks
    Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English — and that's who you are playing this afternoon Phil Bennett's pre 1977 Rugby match speech

Not yet (2008/07/10), due to cross-references from the campaign and the units description files, the campaign units had to be put on ice - that is, replaced by dummies - for now. This gave me the necessary freedom to fully revamp the unit roster -> necessary sacrifice.
    Rinsui

lol - spent about 3 hours trying to get it to work last night

Thanks for answering the other post too = looking forward to the next release - keep up the great work
    Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English — and that's who you are playing this afternoon Phil Bennett's pre 1977 Rugby match speech

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Oh wow, is this alive again?

I signed on to help out with the unit descriptions shortly before the mod died/went on hiatus/what have you.

Well, if you still need help with that particular area, I'd be glad to see what I can find. Sadly between now and then I lost my HD, so I don't have the old unit description file I was working on.

Well, if there's a place for me on the new team here, I'd be glad to gb2/work/. I haven't done much 'public' mod work. My main contribution was editing the horrific Googleish in the 'translated' Awakening of the Rebellion for ETW into something readable.
    I cant code or model, but I write pretty well. So, if you'd like me to take some time and flesh out/touch up the flavor text I can get on that pretty quickly.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Yes. Your help is most appreciated!
    If you can translate googleish, I guess you should be able to transform the poor germanglish I wrote the unit descriptions in into something useful. The last patch (you only need the patch) contains the descr_units.txt. Only those entries that start with BLTW_ will be used in the final version and thus have to be checked. The only conditions I have are:
    1.) Do not change the unit's names, since I tried to be consequent with the unit names and names of the corresponding .cas and .tga.dss files.
    2.) The "general content" should stay roughly the same. Roughly.
    3.) Do not use real-world nationality-related words; for example "Krishnapuri War Elephants" is good, "Indian/African/Asian War Elephants" is not.
    If you want more-or less total freedom, you could do the building descriptions, of which there are plenty to do and few done...? Most don't even have names yet. If I caould interest you for that, send me a PM, and I'll provide you with the tentative buildin/unit roster in Excel format!
    Last edited by Rinsui; 07-25-2008 at 19:30.
    Rinsui

Well, since it was German Googleish that I was translating from, this should be a bit easier, since your English seems to be far better than Googles :P

I'll get started once I get the mod downloaded again. I seem to be having some trouble getting the link to work...the filefront links in the updates thread just redirect to filefront.com. Is Filefront just doing some maintenance, or did the file get removed? o-O

Also, just out of curiosity, I've noticed a few units seem to have vanished from the Yomi unit roster...no more Zombie Ashigaru/samurai?

EDIT:
    Alright, I can get the unit descriptions by downloading the updates, but its a bit tough to describe something you cant see ;)
    Last edited by Sheogorath; 07-25-2008 at 20:52.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Ok... today is the 25th. The next "base version" is scheduled for August 1st, but I guess this Sunday will be ok...
    And hey! For all the beauty of the other units - and some of them are by far more "flashy" - the Zombie Samurai are my absolute, non-plus-ultra, favourite. They will most definitely be in.
    Rinsui

Quote Originally Posted by Rinsui View Post
    Ok... today is the 25th. The next "base version" is scheduled for August 1st, but I guess this Sunday will be ok...
    And hey! For all the beauty of the other units - and some of them are by far more "flashy" - the Zombie Samurai are my absolute, non-plus-ultra, favourite. They will most definitely be in.
    Ah, I just didnt see them on the roster. Taking a look at the unit descriptions they're still in.

I love them too. And the Zombie Ashigaru, if only for the 'shambling horde' effect :P

So, is the new dev version still scheduled for 1st August or are you going to release it earlier?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

For Screenshots, please see the "Faction Features" thread.

Below is the current work-in-progress version of BLTW developers are using.
    Please note that this is not a public release and mainly intended for use
    among ourselves. The base version will be updated every month, and small
    weekly updates will ensure download time stays within reasonable boundaries.
    If available, they have to be applied to the base version in order to arrive at the
    current version we are working on.

Current base version (28th of June 2008):
    http://files.filefront.com/BLTW+comp.../fileinfo.html

Have fun,
    don't forget
    real life is beautiful,
    I guess it should be July?
    Great to see you progessing nicely though!

Yesyes, July, of course >.</
    Rinsui

.......Since when did Philippines become a Monk island D:

Hmmm, it seems the Demon buildings, at least, dont have a list of units they produce.
    Slightly inconvenient o-o

Other than that, its still got its same ol' instability issues. Crashed on the tenth or so turn, right after the autosave finished. So the save itself is fine, it just crashes instantly once loaded.

And, indeed, it seems you cant build anything except dummies in the campaign :P
    My bad.
    Last edited by Sheogorath; 07-29-2008 at 05:39.

You know, I think those Korean gunner fellows may be just a teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeensy bit overpowered >_>

Hmm. Perhaps I should make a sticky somewhere that repeats
    "The campaign map game is not functional at the moment, and unit stats are purely provisional!".
    Btw, that's right what the passage above the download link says?

@Asian
    'twas from around the time India started to mass-produce 8 meter tall white Elephants. ^^
    Last edited by Rinsui; 07-29-2008 at 10:34.
    Rinsui

"The campaign map game is not functional at the moment, and unit stats are purely provisional!".

@Asian
    'twas from around the time India started to mass-produce 8 meter tall white Elephants. ^^
    :0 lawl

I realize that, thats why I edited :P

Anyway, moving along nicely with the descriptions. Still have a loooooooooooooong way to go :P

For the buildings, if you could PM me with a list of what will be built where, it'd be of great help. Until then, I cant really do much for most of the buildings.

Further editing:

If you'd like, I can probably get at least one beta-tester for you. Maybe more. Just general balance/crash testing and so forth...
    Last edited by Sheogorath; 07-30-2008 at 06:44.

The Base version link in Rinsui's Updates are not working

Noted. I'll upload a new one tomorrow.
    Rinsui

Nn extremely facinating mod, that I have played alot and am having a great time with.
    How goes the progress with the mod? I am looking forward to a new update.

It is progressing, I *do* work around 2h/day on it. But balancing and finding an exhaustive and "fair" formula for unit cost/power calculations is an extremely time-consuming business. I am very sorry this takes so long, please forgive. But the original formula didn't work for Chariots, frelances, elephants etc. and had to be overhauled yet again. To quicken things up, I finally decided to program an Excel spreadsheet that relieves me of the stupid manual calculation.
    Once again: I am a slug. I admit it --;
    Rinsui

Its all okay, I have modded for Oblvion and I know about the tedious parts of modding.
    So take your time, it just makes the mod more fantastic.