Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Because this is Britain, you cannot tell anyone what to do

Default Because this is Britain, you cannot tell anyone what to do

He said that, as imam, he could not forbid Muslim women from standing for election, but he would be entitled to forbid his wife. “Because this is Britain, you cannot tell anyone what to do. I can tell my wife, but cannot tell other women, ‘You cannot do this and that',” he said.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4258052.ece

So this thinks that he can order his wife what to do because he lives in Britain? I wish I had his cajones.

Talk about a bigoted mysogenistic outlook.

They can't understand my mainstream views and those of ‘live and let live' and how the British culture should be respected ... It has been extremely hard for me and my family and if it wasn't for my British constituents, I don't think I would have been able to get through it.”
    Good for her. These medieval goons who are threatening her should be prosecuted for undermining the democratic process. Bring back the birch.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 07-03-2008 at 13:23.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Because this is Britain, you cannot tell anyone what to do

You just have to respect that. Brave woman by the way. But this isn't really that bad, imam acknowledges that he must respect brittish values and doesn't impose anything. Sucks to be his wife but he understands that religion is a personal thing, that's enough for me really.
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-03-2008 at 12:52.

Bring back the birch eh , and would the good man like a nice strong stick to beat the {lovely} lady with ?
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 07-03-2008 at 13:28. Reason: Fixed movie quote.:)

I'm sure that the rule of thumb might apply here.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Just for you IA ,a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytZ...eature=related
    2 minutes into it

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    Just for you IA ,a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pytZ...eature=related
    2 minutes into it
    Hurray for the taming of another shrew. True love is edgy, boys. I have personally spanked my wife more than once to set her some clear boundaries. I would do so again any time I find it necessary and she knows this. And she loves it. She hates to love it, but she does because she chose me as her partner for life, and as a man who would do what he thought she needed.

Somebody in Britain, explain that to the imam. Oh, and to Tribesy, because he doesn't seem to get it either.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 07-03-2008 at 13:08.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I'm unclear on who the birch is to be used on (not in the clip; that's clear enough - tho' Thornton 'loses' the stick before he confronts the Brother-in-Law).

Funny how both the clip and the article, and our conversation, are all about assimilation of immigrants, Muslims to UK (today) and Americans to Ireland (in the 50's), yet with such different emphasis' on physical aggression.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 07-03-2008 at 13:33.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Typical muslim values. Luckily she hasn't been raped, or he'd have to kill her. That wouldn't be a big deal though, as he could barter with some other man for his daughter. She'd have to be a virgin of course, because young brides forced into marriage who aren't virgins are nothing but trash who deserve to be killed by their fathers. At some point though, after a lot of window shopping and wife killing, he'd find a woman not deserving of Allah's wrath for one reason or another.

We can't do much about how these act in the Middle East, but shame on us for letting it happen in the West.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 07-03-2008 at 13:42.

I was being ironic about bringing back the birch.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Once again, I condemn and regret my irony-impaired american-ness. :)
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Perhaps an irony smiley?

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Typical muslim values.
    A typically ridiculous statement.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

And a typically need to defend, why defend it that's rediculous. And yes I know you were reacting to PZ comment very specifically. But PZ is right those are pretty damn there in islamic values culture and they even used to be common here go figure.

edit
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-03-2008 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    And a typically need to defend, why defend it that's rediculous. And yes I know you were reacting to PZ comment very specifically. But PZ is right those are pretty damn there in islamic values culture and they even used to be common here go figure.
    Not defending the guy in the first post at all, I was(as you understood), responding solely to PJ's extremely generalized view.

How can it be a muslim thing when a fair share of muslim have never even heard of things like arranged marriages or honour killings?

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Not defending the guy in the first post at all, I was(as you understood), responding solely to PJ's extremely generalized view.

How can it be a muslim thing when a fair share of muslim have never even heard of things like arranged marriages or honour killings?
    Well a fair share of muslims can read or write, we don't have the smart ones here just the farmers. "I go the medieval times and bring back............." <-new game
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-03-2008 at 19:53.

That must have been a statistic I've missed. Somehow I doubt it.
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

Quote Originally Posted by Dâriûsh View Post
    That must have been a statistic I've missed. Somehow I doubt it.
    Haven't seen any statistics, but I personally know quite a few muslims who didn't know of such things before they came here to Norway.

Libya is one such country.

Really? You feel muslim women are treated with equality in immigrant communities? This story and a thousand others seems to contradict that rosey outlook.

It isn't just about me any more - it is about thousands of other women who are being held down by people who refuse to wake up to the reality that it is the 21st century.
    Muslim culture as practiced in the Middle East and exported to Europe and other parts of the world is broken, demented, and sadistic. It breeds the hatred and terrorism that has poured over into our own countries. Honor killings and arranged marriages are just the tip of the ice berg of abuse against women, physical and mental, that runs rampant in these communities. We don't even need to discuss what happens to converts to other religions, homosexuals, jews, underage girls, and other offenders of allah, do we?

Luckily there are brave women like this who demonstrate that the problem is the culture, not the people. When put into an environment where they are allowed, contemporary-minded muslims can succeed just like anybody else, even, gasp, women! I bet no one was more surprised than that Imam. Maybe he'll allow his wife out of the house a bit more... err... probably not.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 07-03-2008 at 20:37.

Haven't seen any statistics, but I personally know quite a few muslims who didn't know of such things before they came here to Norway.

Libya is one such country.
    Stop blabbering and start educating yourself and your Libyan friends. In a free world ignorance is no excuse.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 07-03-2008 at 20:10.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Really? You feel muslim women are treated with equality in immigrant communities? This story and a thousand others seems to contradict that rosey outlook.
    You missed my point. No, things are not rosey. However, there's a HUGE variation within the "muslim community". A man from pakistan has his way of doing things, a man from Libya has a completely different one. Both claim that their way of doing things is the correct way according to Islam, of course...

Like honour killings. The Libyan my sister is living with had never heard of it, and he is a religious muslim who attended Quran school in his youth because he wanted to.

Or take female circumcision. Both christians and muslims do it in africa, and both justify it with "god says so". Ask any christian or muslim from a place other than where they practice it, and he would most likely say they're crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II View Post
    Stop blabbering and start educating yourself and your Libyan friends. In a free world ignorance is no excuse.
    You and I both know that I will never stop blabbering, gramps

Muslim culture as practiced in the Middle East and exported to Europe and other parts of the world is broken, demented, and sadistic. It breeds the hatred and terrorism that has poured over into our own countries. Honor killings and arranged marriages are just the tip of the ice berg of abuse against women, physical and mental, that runs rampant in these communities. We don't even need to discuss what happens to converts to other religions, homosexuals, jews, underage girls, and other offenders of allah, do we?
    Beats me.

You and I both know that I will never stop blabbering, gramps
    Yes, that's because your 'communism' is fake.

Your so-called leftist political views are all talk and no political conscience. You conveniently pass over the fate of the worst victims of social injustice, i.e. women, because you want to celebrate ethnic minorities and migrants as the new proletariat. I spit on such a cheap view of solidarity.

Blabber on, comrade; nobody is listening anyway.

Your so-called leftist political views are all talk and no political conscience. You conveniently pass over the fate of the worst victims of social injustice, i.e. women, because you want to celebrate ethnic minorities and migrants as the new proletariat. I spit on such a cheap view of solidarity.

Wow AdrianII even my evil side would salute you for such ruthlessness but why not hug your pillow looks like she needs you

Bah. I'm arguing against completely retarded generalizations(ie. "all muslims this and that"), not against people opposed to oppression of women, who I agree with. I have absolutely no good thoughts towards people like the guy in the OP, but my way of removing such ideas is different.

Beat the muslims the same way we've beaten the christians, I say.

Luckily there are brave women like this who demonstrate that the problem is the culture, not the people. When put into an environment where they are allowed, contemporary-minded muslims can succeed just like anybody else, even, gasp, women! I bet no one was more surprised than that Imam. Maybe he'll allow his wife out of the house a bit more... err... probably not.
    Bloody hell. An awful lot of what PZ says is true. Like it or lump it.

Amen.

Honor killings and arranged marriages are just the tip of the ice berg of abuse against women, physical and mental, that runs rampant in these communities. We don't even need to discuss what happens to converts to other religions, homosexuals, jews, underage girls, and other offenders of allah, do we?
    Just in case you make the mistake of assuming that the phenomenon is not as prevalent in non-Muslim communities:

Facts & Figures on Violence Against Women

Domestic and Intimate Partner Violence

Violence Against Women in the United States
    Last edited by Dâriûsh; 07-03-2008 at 21:56.

britain is only 50 years ahead of the view expressed in the OP,
    up until the fifties domestic violence against women was common place.
    it wasn't talked about, but it happened a lot.

I think we're getting a bit derailed here. I believe the main point of this thread was the fact that a religious nut talked about how he could tell his wife what to do.

Interestingly, and to add a little spice to the subject, a female friend of mine apologetically told me how she was pressured into voting for a far right anti-Muslim (by their own words) and anti-immigrant party in the last national election by her boyfriend. Both of them are, as far as I know, non-religious western Europeans. Douchebaggery towards women needn't have a cultural or religious foundation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast