Thread: Inca/Tawantisuyu

Default Inca/Tawantisuyu

Hello there! really love the way this mod is developing, and I think it's one cool idea to make a mod in precolumbian south america. But is really 'Inca' the best word for it?

Actually 'Inca' is the quechua word for 'king' or 'emperor' or something, so it was a royal title like 'his majesty' or 'king' or 'caesar';if what you want is a degree of historical accuracy this is not the way to name the civilization that centered about cuzco. Sure, I understand the mod being called 'inca' because this is the 'popular' way to refer to these peope, but if one were to go for historical accuracy, calling them 'Incas' in-game is about as appropriate as calling the Mapuche 'araucanos', wrong.

Depending on the age-setting of the mod, these people can be called something like 'Kingdom of Cuzco/Qusqu' or, if it's set around 1438, Tawantinsuyu (wich was the name of the empire). (of course even better than 'kingdom of qusqu would be to get someone who speaks quechua and get them to translate stuff)

Default Re: Inca/Tawantisuyu

I know what you mean, and this has been discussed before. I think we're going to use Tawantinsuyu in game, but the 'kingdom of Cuzco' in Quecha seems a good option to. We had some Quecha speaking members in our team, but I haven't seen them around in a while, so the translating will be a little harder.

Like you already said the reason why the mod is called Inca: Total War and not Tawantinsuyu: Total War is that most people know about the Inca civilisation, but if you ask them about Tawantinsuyu the would go like 'Tawa what?'.
    Inca-Total War Traits & Ancillaries

Inca Total War Member Member Filibustería's Avatar

Default Re: Inca/Tawantisuyu

I think I can answer that. If all goes well, and let's hope it does, we'll have the second Inca TW release called The rise of the Qoscos. In this, you will not be able to play the Tawantinsuyu as a whole, but in three playable factions: the coyasuyu, the chinchaysuyu and the contisuyu, representing the divisions of the empire, and the Antisuyu as the "Senate"(in this case Inca), giving missions to the others as in Rome. This way, you can even play the Incan Civil War!