Thread: How do I uninstall?

Default How do I uninstall?

Please help me, as my account name implies, I am a very fustrated user and would appreciate all and any help I can receive.

I downloaded this mod, because the concept of it interested me... however, I quickly grew tired of the fact that this mod would always crash on me, and the fact that it denied me of playing MTW. No big deal, I figured I would just uninstall it. Well, I mean to my start menu look through my list of programs to uninstall MTW. I click on uninstall, doesn't work. I repeat numerous times in vain.

So I open up the add/remove program list and choose to remove MTW from my computer, however, nothing happens. Just like with my previous method of attempting, I continue clicking on remove numerous times without anything happening. Yet, when I chose to remove any other program, it always came up with the question, "Are you sure you wish to remove this program?"

In my annoyed state, I ended up wiping out my MTW and sending it to the recycle bin, hoping it would by some chance allow me to reinstall the game now that it was completely wiped out. Well, when I put the game in, I cannot install it, even though all its contents are in the recycle bin.

I've searched through the threads on this forum, and can't find a single thread about uninstallation or an FAQ.

So, just how does one go about removing this mod? I would really like to know, because I love MTW, and not being able to play it would force me to reformat my computer so I can play it... which I am unwilling to do since it's not been two weeks since last I reformatted my computer.

Thanks.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Default Re: How do I uninstall?

crashes caused by these mods in single player are extremely rare (so rare i dont see any)
    crashes caused by MP beta5 are also very rare,
    crashes caused by MP beta 8 require you to be actually playing beta 8 in MP - which you cannot be since no-one plays beta 8 MP except the testing crew.

you cannot uninstall a mod

all mods need be installed over a clean unused copy of mtw/vi
    NEVER EVER insytall mods over other mods.

other than that what you asre saying is not making any sense to me,

medieval does not care how many copies of itself exist,
    you can always install a new copy to a different location,
    if you ran the unistaller and add/remove programs and deleted the remains then you will be offered the option to repair and/or allowed to reinstall over the top of the old location.

B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Oh, I see. I was unaware that uninstalling was impossible for these MTW mods, since the mods for M2TW allows you to uninstall them.

As for the mod that I installed, yes, it was installed over a clean copy of MTW/VI, and I did not have a previous mod installed on it.

However, how then do I go about making a new copy of MTW, because when I put in the disk, it simply has the play option, and no install option for me to install it to a new location.

"if you ran the unistaller and add/remove programs and deleted the remains then you will be offered the option to repair and/or allowed to reinstall over the top of the old location."

But as I said in my first post, the MTW uninstaller in my start menu program list doesn't react when I click on it to uninstall MTW. And when I attempt to add/remove MTW, then it also doesn't respond. I've searched the MTW file both with the computer's search, and manually looking through the folder's contents and I cannot find an uninstaller for MTW.

Oh, sorry for the double post, but thank you for your reply.

Hello Frustrated User,
    I've no idea why you are getting no response from add/remove programs, that's a mystery as I've installed and uninstalled the game a few times, though I have MTW and the VI expansion. I see you have the Gold edition, but it should still work. MTW allowed multiple installs, it had a reinstall option, this was not an option with VI. The work around for this was to simply copy the directory folder and install mods to this, thus keeping one copy clean.
    I had occasional CTD with both MTW and VI but only when playing online with Beta8 (SP it runs fine)
    Maybe a post in the Apothecary will find a solution to your problem?

......Orda

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

now that screenshot is most odd,
    my gold edition gives me a repair option - it seems there may be different version of gold out there.
    perhaps try a registry cleaner to remove unused registry entries,
    and for that you will need to visit the apotheary
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Fustrated User View Post
    I downloaded this mod, because the concept of it interested me... however, I quickly grew tired of the fact that this mod would always crash on me, and the fact that it denied me of playing MTW. No big deal, I figured I would just uninstall it. Well, I mean to my start menu look through my list of programs to uninstall MTW. I click on uninstall, doesn't work. I repeat numerous times in vain.
    The uninstall not working is very likely due to the mod because the info needed to uninstall, which is located in the medieval\uninstall folder, is no longer accurate since the mod doesn't update that info. Manually deleting the game's files is ok, but that doesn't remove the registry entries for the game, so the Medieval installer sees the game as still installed even though the game files are in the recycle bin.

One solution is to edit the registry and remove all the keys associated with Medieval. I don't remember the names of the keys off hand. A second method to reinstall which avoids editing the registry is to exit that initial startup screen and navigate to the Medieval CD with file explorer. Under WinXP you do that by going to MyComputer, right click on the CD drive and chose "explore". You should see a program in the top level folder called setup.exe. If you run setup.exe directly it should install the game. I've used this method successfully with Viking Invasion.

To try mods in the future, copy the entire Medieval directory tree to a new folder and install the mod to the copy. Make a shortcut to the Medieval_TW.exe file in the copy and rename it. That will work because the game doesn't use any of the registry entries when it runs. That way your original medieval is intact, and to get rid the mod you just have to manually delete the copy's directory tree.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

I can't re install my copy of Medieval Total War as my brothers puppy ate it. And I didn't know that you needed a clean copy of MTW/VI to play it. Is there any way I can remove or revert the game files to their previous state? I can't get past the opening screen for the game. All that happens is I start it, it shows the SW logo and goes black before CTDing.
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

If you want to revert back to the vanilla game, you will need original MTW CDs from which to do a clean install. You will also need the CDs in order to run the game - so either way you will need to buy the game again.