Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Default Re: MTW-Redux Released!

Heh. Sir Killalot. I laughed.
    I'm glad to hear that you're continuing the project. I'd love to see those muslim, pagan and orthodox portraits too, sounds grand.

Good to hear from you Axalon.
    I assume all is going well on the modding front?
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Hello there Raz,

Yeah, I will finish what I started; make no mistake about it – no matter how long it takes. Anyhow, it’s good to know that at least somebody around here has a similar sense of humor as I have (for those of you missed it, check out da pics/portraits in my previous post before this one. Yummy princesses & angry knights etc. etc. ). I once did some portraits on She-Hulk as princess; I thought that was pretty fun, but since few others seemed to appreciate it, maybe it’s just me?

Redux & 2009…

I thought I should share some general remarks on redux and what passed during 2009 on that note. Overall I think it has been yet another very good year for redux as a public entity. Among other things redux found some new places to reside and thus further possibilities was created for new people to get familiar with it – thus new people get the chance to try it out. Funny enough all this happened without any involvement on my part, I found that out after it happened. As far as I can tell, this happened in Israel, Poland, Spain (?) and the USA. The project has definitely exceeded all my expectations since 2nd edition managed to get well over some 1200 downloads in 2009 alone, imagine that. That’s roughly a 100 downloads each moth, so there should be plenty of players out there, even if downloads hardly equals people. In total, the current 2nd edition alone has over 1500 downloads. In my wildest dreams when I released it for the first time, I thought redux might reach 500 downloads someday - as in 2060 or something like it. I did not dare to hope for what actually happened in 2009. And, remarkably enough; I did not even release any new material at all this year. So fortune has indeed smiled on redux during 2009.

Here at the ORG, redux finally passed that magic 20.000 view-marker that seems to be reserved for only the big stuff around here. And, I am very happy that redux managed to get that far and still generate interest and posts about it. - Despite the fact that I have been considerably less active around here thru out 2009 than I was 2008, this very thread all the same managed to generate some 100+ posts during this year. That’s very impressive to me at least, after all we are talking about a project that needs a 7,5 year old and troublesome game in order to run at all... So, I am impressed by that alright.

None of this would have happened of course if it not were other people than me who also was interested in the little world of redux and bothered to post here. During 2009 mostly new faces (to me at least) traveled these parts while most of the old players and posters from 2008 were absent (with some few exceptions). Personally, I find that to be a shame since many of those guys really made a difference for this place back in 2008. Keeping it interesting and active, without relying on me being part of everything or function as the driving force behind it all - all the time.

If I wish for anything in 2010 (short of releasing 3rd edition, and a massive presence of sexy princesses in every game), it would be that such times will find its way back to this place - that would be really cool. Apart from the fact that there still remains tons of stuff about MTW-redux to discuss and post about; pointers, various strategy’s , experiences, in game-challenges/problems or whatever you may find while playing redux – my constant advice would be to post about it or If you think you have an answer for something to help a fellow player out – post it! Don’t wait for me! Why should you? It will probably benefit all redux-players in the long run, including the poster as well, while also making this place a fun and ever attractive place to visit for everybody – including me. Besides, why should we not want to discuss and share our experiences with redux? After all, there sure seems to be plenty of people around that play (or have played) it – I find it hard to believe that I am the only one who would find such activities interesting and wortwhile. I think that this would serve all players (including those who bother post it) and be a good thing if we saw some more of that in 2010. Anyhow…

A happy New Year to all redux-players out there! Happy fighting and may Lassie (the dog) be kind to us all...

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 12-31-2009 at 17:29. Reason: Clean up...

Long Live MTW!!!

I suppose… I like da ‘ol game anyhow (especially after I modified it)

Everytime i see a new post from you Axalon im hoping its version 3 or some new screenies......arrgh

Hello Achilles,

Did you see these samples from post:360? That’s the best I can do for you at the moment, sorry…

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post

- Text removed -

- Text removed -
    - Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 02-10-2010 at 03:43. Reason: update...

Nice screens.
    Is it just me or is the princess in red a bit more "detailed" then the others?
    Not that im complaining........

The only extra detail as far as i can tell is that she seems to be wearing a transparent vest, unlike the other two.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Hi all,

Ok, now I know that this thread is going on fumes – we are now discussing princess-fashion! Let me tell you guys, those girls have little to be ashamed for! Anyhow, it is not the first time this stuff has come up. I think it was William the Silent who first raised this issue; wherever he is these days, bless his heart.

Apart from the nonsense I provided as my defense about the poor redux-girls that time around, from post 230, I quote ( in spoiler)…

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "I know that you are interested in the girls at the “princess-department” but really? Asking about “redux-princess-fashion”? Is that not taking your personal interest a bit too far Will?!? Ok, you’re the boss…

Now, all the girls at the princess-department are honest, hard working and above all honorable little maidens (most of them anyhow) and all of them got some fine “royal-assets” as well, no doubts there (that sure makes them more persuasive in the delicate negotiations of marriages and matters of state). But the way they dress is all hardcoded in redux. It’s all connected to the AI’s “princess-wardrobe”-files. I have tried many times to improve all the girls behavior and dress-code but it is just hardcoded all of it, and sometimes, well ok, many times they just simply *forget* to slip in to “something less comfortable” if you know what I mean…

Anyway, it is hard to find proper princesses these days and most of reduxes girls had a previous career as sinful nuns at castle Anthrax so it’s essentially hopeless to get them to understand the fact that this is an innocent and “proper” game with a supposed “TEEN”-rating and they are expected to dress “less comfortable” here. I have already received some reprimands about this from the rating-board but the girls just won’t listen to reason and continue to dress light! Now what am I supposed to do?!? I got the rating-board on one side and the horde of beautiful little maidens with a hardcoded urge to dress “light” on the other. I’m really on a tough spot here…”

Other than what already said in spoiler, I totally blame Marvel comics. It’s their fault, you know…

Anyhow, is this really all we can discuss on the available edtion of redux at this point? Come on, there got to be more than that?! Maybe I’ll edit in some further fashion-remarks later on (oh yes, Iv’e cleaned up da images – no more sexy & yummy stuff here. It’s all proper now. For further “dirty and unbothered sexist stuff”, all you sleazy scoundrels will have to make due with the already included stuff in the redux-files )…

- Cheers
    ------------
    Oh god how I hate this "default" bulletin skin... It's just awful.

Sorry Axalon, that's the only thing that i can discuss about, because i dont play redux. I'm sure others are players and hence can discuss more than that.

Yet, i'll give you a piece of advice and take it for what its worth: overdirecting discussion in the end leads to no discussion, because branches of the discussion that are seemingly irrelevant but can liven interest in it are cut off. Over-expecting and over-encouraging discussion also leads to no discussion, because sooner or later the artificiality of the "over" element is felt.

Letting things be sometimes turns out far better than making things be.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

My fresh install of MTW VI is surely getting lonely.................

Hello. Well I finally finished reading all the posts. This is a fantastic project, I thank you so much for your time and effort Axalon. This is the exact type of mod I was looking for. The posts here just made it seem all the more and desirable.

Here's hoping this thread is still alive.

Well another day goes by and not one person shows up.

Any way, I installed Redux and the VI fix. I am going to give it a try today.

Well, Redux didn't show up when I tried the first install method. So I tried the Happy 7 method and success. Redux is installed and loads up.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congrats, and welcome to the .Org.

Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Thanks, Ludens.

Default Re: Tips for a new Redux player?

Just checking in to see how version 3 is coming along?
    Last edited by Axalon; 06-07-2010 at 00:54. Reason: Moved to appropriate thread. - Axalon

Default Re: Tips for a new Redux player?

Hello Achilles,

I will probably post up some update for you within a few days. Overall, I think it is likely that we will see a release somehow in 2010. Whether it will be beta or the real thing only time can tell. Recently, I have had probems to log in here at the ORG so things are a bit uncertain because of that as well - hopefully that was only temporary. Anyhow and in the meantime, this place is open for business people...

- Cheers
    ------------
    On another note, thanks Ludens for keeping an eye on this place, I appreciate it...

2000 downloads….

Yesterday, MTW-Redux 2nd edition hit the 2000 downloads-marker. It is rather amazing considering the overall circumstances – an 8 year old game to play it and the first release as late as 2008 (some 6 years after MTW was released. Now if that is not bad timing – I don’t know what is). Anyhow, there it is.

Do enjoy redux folks….

- Cheers

Congrats, Axalon. It does have a certain charm about it you know (the game mod, that is).

A month ago I moded MTW with XL and have been enjoying all the new factions and units. I definitely will have to give Redux a try, love the colorful unique factions and screenshots. The game mod sounds like it makes campaigns very challenging and the main focus is the battlefield, diverse units, and tactics which are all big draws for me. Wonderful job on the mod!

I installed Redux successfully and have been playing around. Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Axalon who managed to make such a working mod. reading around topics I persuaded to take the Spanish challenge, I finished playing Spanish (expert mode) and managed to won the game. The big difference with original version is that you always must take care of battles, winning them needs good unit choice in original you always can win a large area just by rapidly attacking or building far sea trade. Here in Redux you must fight for every inch of land and there is near zero income from trade (maybe all those trade buildings not needed any more). Great Job Axalon I hope and willingly wait for the future versions!

Hi and thanks a bunch guys...

Mark

Yeah, I sure hope so…

Sorena

By the way it sounds you had the kind of campaign I was hoping for as I designed Spain. Excellent! She-hulk be praised! However, does the adventure have to end there?

After all, the world of redux goes far beyond the “dreaded” Spanish campaign, there is a ton of things to explore and master in all 8 standard factions which all do provide different and rather unique game-experiences. Besides, no redux-campaign is the same - even if we do use the same faction and difficulty. Redux have an extreme replayability capacity which is a rare trait these days – use it.

If tough is your thing, try Poland* and see what happens (some survive it, others perish. Hopefully they had fun regardless). The HRE is another worthy candidate, smack in the centre and will offer good clean pixel-slaughter on multiple fronts. Just thinking out load….

*Knight of the Rose, (a “redux daredevil”) did an excellent article/report on that back in 2009 which I
    plan to post up somehow – I just have not got around to it. I totally should post it up here someday.

ELadimari

By all means knock yourself out with Redux… It is voluntary, after all…

Anyhow, travelling into redux-territory out of XL might mean more changes then some (not all) people are prepared for. XL and Redux are very different projects - apples and oranges basically - designed with different and sometimes outright conflicting ideas and notions. Thus, don’t ever expect to have similar circumstances and results in redux (whatever it may be). The circumstances are different and thus so are the results. Whatever works and may be successful in XL is not necessarily valid in Redux – and thus never expect it to be.

As long as you keep that in mind, you might enjoy redux just as much as others do. It’s tougher and more complex in general (it's simply a matter of design) and it helps if such traits appeal to you.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 08-25-2010 at 13:44. Reason: Clean up...

Ok, some previews on new redux for you folks (and in proper order)…

To start things off we travel north to pagan and Norse territory, from top left we have Norse warriors, Norse spearmen, the druid (agent), Norse pathfinders and heathen berserkers

The Norse pathfinders will replace the Norse scouts – it is essentially a change of name but I think the new one suit them better and is a bit clearer. The druid got some juicy Stonehenge-stuff going since I thought that would be cooler the just some plain forest as in the old pic (which may be more accurate in a historical context but who cares, right?). And of course I have created a new face for him as well. The berserkers finally got a picture that I am satisfied with – the same goes for the two Norse units as well. These Norse units will now look more fearsome – as they should (and they reflect somewhat better the other related new unit-GFX as well).

On this screen we travel east and essentially the regions of orthodox-culture, from top left we got halberdiers (orthodox version), light cavalry (orthodox version), Russian knights, peasant horde (orthodox version) and light militia (orthodox version).

Previous redux (and the original game) all too often used the same pics for various units regardless of culture – one might say that this is an attempt to remedy that somewhat - since I think different cultures should have different pics (at least some more then before). Hope you guys like it.

More on the orthodox theme, from top left we have palace guard, dragon order knights, cataphract regiment, Slavic foresters (remake) and Russian infantry (remake).

The palace guard unit is going to replace the Russian palaceguards and will be available exclusively to Russia and Hungary (the dragon order infantry will probably be removed as well due to this new unit). The cataphract regiment will be a new “super” formation for Byzantium – while daunting to face in battle - it will cost plenty of cash and take time to develop (and it will be expensive to maintain as well). Still, as with everything else it will be possible to do something about them if one ends up having to face such a formation in the field. Arrows and spears would be my recommendation to all who want to try ‘em on in the new redux – once released to the public, that is. Finally, the Slavic foresters and Russian infantry finally got infopics that I am more satisfied with.

Ok, thats it for now.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 08-25-2010 at 13:35. Reason: Clean up...

Thread Necromancer Member Vantek's Avatar

That looks great Axalon! Good job keeping this game alive and fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    [COLOR=black][I]Ok, some previews on new redux for you folks
    Looking good! I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the new Redux.

Thanks Axalon!
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Hi and thanks guys, here are some other previews…

From top left, we have infopics for Spanish raiders, Saxon heavy spearmen, Saxon warriors (infantry), Frankish infantry (remake) and hospitaller foot knights (remake)…

Now, the Spanish raiders marks the return of the MTW "jinette"-concept to reduxed battles after a rather long absence there. And yes, they hurl spears if given the chance and can do much damage if allowed to do so (they must still have the chance for it). The Saxon heavy spearmen will replace the old and more diffuse “Saxon infantry”-unit and thus making things clearer. Saxon warriors finally got a pic that do them better justice (the old one had wrong weapon for starters). As for the hospitaller fotknights (along with all western orders) now have distinctive shields in the pics to set them apart from other foot-knights and orders.

In this one we have (from top left) Spanish lancers, pikemen, Spanish champion, archers (plain) and halberdiers (Catholic).

Well, I was never really satified with the old pic for the lancers so I finally came around to change it. Same story for the pikemens as well essentially. The Spanish champ turned out to be quite a challenge to create a pic for - that would also satisfactory work with the concept – I eventually ended up creating this one and I think we finally have a winner for it. The new archer pic is the result of me not being entirely satisfied with the old one - same thing for the halberdiers (there is yet another version for orthodox factions as already shown).

Feel free to post up questions and comments on this if you got any. Ok, that's it folks….

- Cheers

Well first let me say THANK YOU!!!! for your hard work and others that help make the Redux!I end-up installing Redux because of the "crash to desktop" issue I was having, the game is so awesome that I had to play it again!
    Your files FIXED my issue and the game is stable!!no more crashing!I can play for hours!!
    Redux is tough but I like it, If I may suggest would like to see the same amount of factions from the original game, I really enjoyed factions that no longer are present BUT If it wasn't for Redux I wouldn't be playing at all!!!
    2010 is almost over...looking forward to the next edition!!!
    Really like the screen shots, keep it coming!

Smile Re: MTW-Redux Released!

Well, I for one appreciate all the good efforts you've been making and look forward to playing your next release. By the way , are you planning to create other mods ? If so I might be able to help. Been tinkering with Hellenic Total War Bifs and it seems I can come up with modified ones that would suit ancient and medieval warfare alike. It just takes a lot of time but with proper motivation I could be persuaded to find the time. :)

How is version 3 coming along?

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast