Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MTW-Redux Released!

I fear that, with no recent activity in this forum, it most likely has come to a standstill.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Hi, thanks a bunch and merry xmas everyone… I’ll start with Tobrak

Quote Originally Posted by Tobrak View Post
    Your files FIXED my issue and the game is stable!!no more crashing!I can play for hours!!
    Well, I do take bugs and stability-issues very serious. I have certainly tried to kill all bugs as much as possible, and on principle, I consider stability to be the virtual alpha and omega of any video game. I have always tried to make redux as stable as possible, I take pride in the fact that redux is seemingly as stable as it is – sometimes I can only get there at a price - removing features and ideas and so forth during design – all things considered with the fairly weird MTW-engine.

Redux is tough but I like it, If I may suggest would like to see the same amount of factions from the original game, I really enjoyed factions that no longer are present BUT If it wasn't for Redux I wouldn't be playing at all!!!
    I have no plans to restore the old factions, sorry. Feel free to do that on your own if you like.

Really like the screen shots, keep it coming!
    Great, then I guess I should hammer out some more of those…. Err, I just have to get around to do that then (whenever I have time for it). ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Leith View Post
    By the way , are you planning to create other mods ? If so I might be able to help. Been tinkering with Hellenic Total War Bifs and it seems I can come up with modified ones that would suit ancient and medieval warfare alike. It just takes a lot of time but with proper motivation I could be persuaded to find the time. :)
    Well at the moment, my sole modding-agenda is to actually finish up the new Redux – first a beta and then a full and proper release after that. I have certainly considered doing various expansions for it beyond that (possibly designed solely upon VI), new and smaller campaigns-maps and “mini-campaigns” and such - but all that is pushed into an uncertain future – the ideas for it is hardly the problem – while time is. Feel free to do some expansion for redux if you like, put in some extra troops or whatever you think would be fun – after all, redux is specifically designed for such “custom” additions. 12-15 “free” slots for units or something like that. As for factions, the same thing applies – the only thing that is certain is that I won’t do it. I would however think it would be cool and fun if somebody (who wanted that) did.

As things are now, (and it will probably be final), there are two vacant unit Bif-plates/textures in the files for the MTW 1.1-version of the new redux (I don’t remember the exact names as I write this and VI also some additional 10 custom ones as we all know, all those will be unused by regular redux). Once the new redux is out, I will try to set up threads for the benefit of discussions, suggestions and implementations of alternative versions/expansions of redux done by people willing and interested in doing such stuff. I get the feeling that at least some people would like to get a place for just that. Previously and regrettably, I had to put a lid on all that simply to maintain some sort of clarity around here – but if there were clearly designated and dedicated places (threads) for it around here – such problems would disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    How is version 3 coming along?
    Yeah, I guess that’s the big question, isn’t it? Well, at this point it’s fairly close to beta-release. I think we will (finally!) see such a release in Q1 of 2011 – ahead of the commercial release of STW2. New redux has essentially been delayed for two full years now…

- It is not all bad since I have had time to think things thru as I designed stuff. Refine and redesign things, redo and improve various GFX all over, remove redundant stuff (both from my own designs and CA-designs), find ways to bypass or camouflage various MTW-weirdness, get various calibrations right (weapons, shields, horses etc), testing and creating new GFX, get a decent grip on the AI and how it actually works, general testing, balancing etc. etc. etc.

On top of all that, creating a game I like of course…

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I fear that, with no recent activity in this forum, it most likely has come to a standstill.
    As always, I do appreciate that you keep an eye on this place in my absence. I would probably have made the very same conclusion myself – given the circumstances. At various points it has also been very true as well due to various reasons and obligations on my part.

Futhermore, I also feel that the people who do play and are interested in redux should be the ones keeping this place active – not me. I just do and design the darn game, the rest that happens here is virtually up to the redux players themselves… I guess, it is a bit of that as well in this equation. Anyhow, thanks again for answering Achilles.

Ok, that’s it folks… Again xmas all.

Redux & 2010

As tradition would have me do; I’ll share some remarks on Redux and what happened on that note during 2010. In general terms it was a surprisingly good year for something that is dependent on an 8,5 year old (and problematic) game to run. I certainly hoped that I would be able to release some new material during 2010 but as things eventually turned out that did not happen.

In 2010, Redux (as work done for MTW1) was recognized and awarded over at the TWC (to my big surprise – in more ways than one), I found out that people in China play Redux, and during the summer 2nd Edition hit the 2000 downloads marker (and the VI-upgrade module also hit the 1000 marker later on) among other things. Despite no new material was released, people kept downloading Redux all the same (as I write this 2nd edition alone has some 2700 downloads). Furthermore, Filefront/Gamefront management did not screw up for a change - and didn’t delete the redux-files – a nice surprise as well. In contrast, Atomic Gamer has yet to screw things up since 2008….

Here at the Org. this very thread generated some 10.000 “new” views despite fairly few posts made during 2010 - thus I draw the conclusion that people are still interested in Redux somehow while usually reluctant to post? I don’t have a clue as for why that is and personally I think that is a real shame.

Regardless, 2011 is just around the corner and hopefully that will be an exiting year for all people interested in Redux (hopefully for me too) as plenty of new material will be released due to 3rd Ed/”new redux” (I’ll post details on that later). Finally, my thanks to Tosa for allowing us to have this reduxy place/forum – which is not to be taken for granted folks.

Anyways, a happy new year and a bunch of woof-woof from Lassie…

- Cheers

Congratulations on your Mods success!!! I downloaded MTW Redux in Late 2010, but have not had a chance to play it yet. Currently I am playing some of the other MTW mods and I am very impressed with what the modders have been able to do with the game. As soon as I get in the medieval mindset I will give Redux a try and maybe make some posts in the subforum.

Take a look here Axalon, i found something that might interest you about the weather in MTW; post#5:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053248771
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Hi and thanks again folks…

First of all, Filefront/Gamefront-management has yet again in their infinite wisdom screwed up – this time they deleted all my file-statistics to hell. The files are still there but all statistics are gone. Wonderful…

Anyhow, below is a demo-pic of the new provinces and sea-sections in Redux. Note that there are no “extra regions or sections” – I’ve just redesigned the map all over (again) for better and improved gameplay with the existing number of regions in the original game – that is 99 land and 37 sea. Trade and sea-stuff functions much better for the Ai it seems. Old key-strategic regions like Cordoba, Flanders and Syria has been toned down in importance. Islands like Malta and Rhodes has totally disappeared – they did not contribute enough to the game to stay in.

New provinces like Picardy, Couronia, Tripolitania etc. etc. are in. Africa is bigger; the Baltic and Black Sea regions are a bit more complex and interesting while less decisive etc. Successful travels from Wessex to Novgorod or Egypt are longer and thus harder to achieve. There are ultimately 4 bottlenecks (instead of just the one in the original) separating the Mediterranean and the North Atlantic area etc. etc. etc. Find out all about it once the beta of new Redux is out – which seems to be fairly soon at this point.

Hopefully people will like these changes; at least I like ‘em. Here is a sample of the original map for comparison...

Anyhow, I’ll probably get back here soon with more news and stuff so stay tuned….

- Cheers

As a map afficionado, color me VERY intrigued.... yes indeed! Really nice and clean design.

Perhaps you would like to go the BKB route and add Iceland (full of angry Norsemen) in the upper left corner
    of this lovely map? Also, maybe the province borders in North Africa could be made a little more irregular
    to match the rest of the layout?

Wow, this is very nice map, with many clever changes... it seems to get tight in Eastern Europe. I would only change West Africa for some province between Poland and Hungary, they are still too big with too many neighbours(Hungary especially), but it's your map of course :)
    Sea regions - outstanding.
    Last edited by huth; 02-12-2011 at 16:30.
    Sorry for my bad English.

Not sure about downgrading Cordoba and Flanders in strategic importance - although i do not know your factions' starting positions. The AI does better with fewer regions/more bottlenecks where he can marshal his forces faster and coordinate them better.

While Syria is downgraded in strategic importance in your map, its replaced by Edessa that gives a similar bottleneck as Syria had been and one more province distance to Jerusalem/Tripoli/Arabia. I think this is potentially a good change and it will help the AI there - but of course also the player that controls Egypt and the middle east.

The more sea regions in the North and Baltic seas are certainly a good change - that sea area has far less regions than the Mediterranean equivalent that makes travel/trade in that zone too quick, especially for the player. Not sure however the Med sea zones needed an increase - although again i am not familiar with your starting zones, the economy and the naval game in redux.

Overall, they seem prudent changes.

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Maps looks interesting. More sea regions is a very good idea. More provinces in Africa - it should help Almohads to survive a little longer. Eastern Europe - less provinces means even more devastating Mongol invasion. Is it good? We will see. Downgrading Syria is decisively good idea.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Very intrigued and looking forward to the new Redux, Axalon. Will additional factions be playable in this version?

Hi and thanks guys... Some replies...

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Perhaps you would like to go the BKB route and add Iceland (full of angry Norsemen) in the upper left corner of this lovely map?
    It certainly has crossed my mind, but so far I have refrained from that for various reasons – thus it probably won’t be part of standard redux. I have considered possible future redux-expansions and “minicampaigns” – for instance based in pagan Scandinavia (including Iceland) as a possible project exclusively for VI. Time will tell what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Also, maybe the province borders in North Africa could be made a little more irregular
    to match the rest of the layout?
    I have been thinking the same. I’ll might very well fix that for the formal release but in the beta-version(s) I probably won’t. Maybe later essentially…

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    ...some province between Poland and Hungary, they are still too big with too many neighbours(Hungary especially), but it's your map of course :)
    Yes it would be nice and the idea is good in general – however I have already hit the roof of what I am certain that V.1.1 can handle all the way. Thus it won’t happen in the standard version of Redux – sorry… Maybe in some special/alternative expansion for VI as it is possible there. Either done by me or somebody else, that is possible in practical terms.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    The more sea regions in the North and Baltic seas are certainly a good change - that sea area has far less regions than the Mediterranean equivalent that makes travel/trade in that zone too quick, especially for the player. Not sure however the Med sea zones needed an increase - although again i am not familiar with your starting zones, the economy and the naval game in redux.
    We all have opinions on stuff, you are no exception. New Redux - as far as I can tell - is significantly different from a raw MTW (even from old redux) and that will probably come to light as people try the new beta – once out. The components, circumstances, rules and AI strike me as different all over - save hardcoded stuff - while the typical activities and goals of the game as such are the same as raw MTW. I think this map is part of that reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Maps looks interesting. More sea regions is a very good idea. More provinces in Africa - it should help Almohads to survive a little longer. Eastern Europe - less provinces means even more devastating Mongol invasion. Is it good? We will see. Downgrading Syria is decisively good idea.
    Well, I did not actually increase the sea-regions in number – I only redeployed them differently on the map. As far as I can tell, for the better as well. Then again, people might have different opinions on that of course, as always. I like it anyhow, but you are right, the only way to find out for sure what you think is to try it out for yourself.

The Golden Horde is not a factor in redux, it never was. It (still) got the Lithuanians instead and they may work in similar effect, that is, if the circumstances for it are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    Very intrigued and looking forward to the new Redux, Axalon. Will additional factions be playable in this version?
    Yes… In new redux - in the “regular” campaign – there will be 10 factions available for the player (the rest is locked)… 6 “regular” factions (catholic) and 4 “optional” ones (pagan, orthodox and muslim). In total there will be 18 factions just as in old redux. Beyond that there will not be any additional factions in the standard version of it (for several reasons).

Again, thanks guys for your interest and posts here…

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 02-13-2011 at 22:50. Reason: lalalaaa...

Originally posted by Axalon
    We all have opinions on stuff, you are no exception.
    You mean?

Edit: Nevermind...
    Last edited by gollum; 02-14-2011 at 00:36.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Neverminded...

Its ok Axalon.

Congrats on your org award btw.

I always thought you deserved one for all the hard work despite not having tried Redux, hence why i nominated you for it.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Great looking map Axalon. Have you ever wondered what the white thing in middle of Arabia is meant to be? I know it was there in original. The two next to it you can kind of understand as sea either side of Sinai (though better if blue) and the one on Egypt border might be the Qattara depression. But the one in Arabia? - I'm foxed

Been wondering about that too...I thought the Quattara depression is far closer to the coast and more elongated.

The Sinai bits must be definitely the sea and it suits pretty well (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=il) - but for the Cyrenaica and the Arabia bits...a large oasis? (or a mirage of one :)? No idea.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Been wondering about that too... a large oasis? (or a mirage of one :)? No idea.
    Me too so I removed them. You can get the fixed maps here (maps for vanilla mtw).
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Thank you Stazi

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Hi there and thanks Wes...

No worries, I have fixed it/deleted both anomalies. Durango’s straight lines
    have also been fixed in the process....

Gollum...

I certainly appreciate that you wanted to somehow recognize my work.
    As for HOF awards, I am torn. I like some of it and some I don’t.

- Cheers

Eagerly awaiting this release (noting it's a beta and you may want some playtesting)

Since last release I've played some great MTWII Mods - the vanilla game made much more interesting and even beautiful - but boy is the battlefield AI unbelievably stupid and repetitive

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

To Axalon and Gollum

You guys are like buses: you wait and wait and wait, and then two MTW mods come along at once!

Not complaining, mind. Feeling rather spoilt, actually.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Default MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    (noting it's a beta and you may want some playtesting)
    Yes!

The more and detailed intel that get reported in - as people play and test new Redux beta - my chances to make things better obviously increases for the formal release. I have yet to craft the VI-upgrade and thus this beta is currently only compatible/applicable with V.1.1 (gold-, eras-owners will simply have to wait for the VI-upgrade, sorry). I’ll try to make the VI-stuff as soon as I can. I’ll release it when it is functional and fairly done essentially…

Anyhow, da link is up! I'll set up another reserve-link sometime soon. Anyway, it would be good if somebody could confirm that the files works?

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-04-2011 at 07:46. Reason: update

Default Re: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

This is a BETA-version of new Redux (Medieval Total War-Redux 3rd Edition) as such not everything is carved in stone yet or completed. Anyhow, it requires the original MTW game in order to run - as in the V 1.1 version or with the compatibility-module it can also run on VI/V 2.01 – the game and experience is the same.

To install Redux you first set up a clean install of MTW somewhere and then properly patch it up to either V1.1 or VI/V2.01 – once that is done you THEN copy/paste over Redux on top of MTW, standard package first and VI-module last… If done this way, Redux should work just fine.

The primary campaign in this version of Redux is “RX-classic”, a scenario which offers a campaign spanning from 700-1260 AD – in total 560 turns. 10 out of 18 factions are playable in it along with unruly rebels and pirates as well. The overall goal is total supremacy over Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, either by achieving 60% or a 100% domination of all provinces. The means for achieving this goal are troops, ships and agents, and yet more of the same. Development and a functional economy is key for survival on the road to glory - without it you will surely perish.

Anyhow, while we wait for the formal release, please report in bugs, typos and anomalies if you encounter any.

- Enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Name: Medieval Total War – Redux
    Mod Version: BETA 1000 (3rd Edition)
    Language: English
    Terms of Use: P.U.O, Personal Use Only, any other plans, let me know and we’ll see.
    Applicability: Medieval Total War v1.1 only. Not compatible with V2.01 yet…
    Size: Rared 184 Mb/Zipped 237 Mb/Uncompressed 335 Mb
    Operating System: 2000/XP (Vista/W7 unconfirmed)
    Hardware: see “Redux_ReadMe.txt”-file, hardware issues & info section. In short; ATI X800 series are probably the best GFX-cards for this game coupled with drivers prior to 2005 (ATI 9800’s are also good GFX-cards). Virtually everything else is “try and find out” essentially.
    Description: This is a BETA-version of new Redux (Medieval Total War-Redux 3rd Edition) as such not everything is carved in stone yet or completed. Anyhow, it requires the original MTW game in order to run - as in the V 1.1 version or with the compatibility-module it can also run on VI/V 2.01 (once released) – the game and experience is the same.
    Credits: see “Redux_ReadMe.txt”-file, credits section…
    Download Links:

Download zip-version:
    http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/905...redux-beta1000

Download rar-version:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/20059...x_Beta1000_rar

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-05-2011 at 06:06. Reason: update...

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: MTW-Redux 1.0 Released!

This makes me...
    want to play MTW again
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

I'd like to play new Redux but I don't have MTW 1.1. I have to wait for the VI version.
    btw I'm curious, What are the reasons of still making a mod for MTW 1.1? What are the main differences (in case of modding) between 1.1 and 2.01?

This is great news although it will be a couple weeks til i have proper time to install and play.....Meanwhile can someone post up some screenies?

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi Axalon

Good man!

Much to my surprise I cannot find the MTW v1.1 patch on TotalWar.com.

Being somewhat paranoid about malware and the like, can anyone suggest a good clean site from which I can download the 1.1 patch?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Hi victor,
    try this:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/m.../patch/16.html

Just tried it and seems clean and all. As i recall there was an org link too but it seems broken from the front page - maybe it works from the mizu server though.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast