Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTW-Redux Beta Released!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow MTW-Redux Beta Released!

This is a BETA-version of new Redux (Medieval Total War-Redux 3rd Edition) as such not everything is carved in stone yet, however most things seem to be settled at this point. Anyhow, it requires the original MTW game in order to run - as in the V 1.1 version or with the compatibility-module it can also run on VI/V 2.01 versions - the game and experience is the same. To install Redux you first set up a clean install of MTW somewhere and then properly patch it up to either V1.1 or VI/V2.01 ? once that is done you THEN copy/paste over Redux on top of MTW, standard package first and VI-module last? If done this way, Redux should work just fine.

The primary campaign in this version of Redux is "RX-classic", a scenario which offers a campaign spanning from 700-1260 AD, in total 560 turns. 11 out of 18 factions are playable in it along with unruly rebels and pirates as well. The overall goal is total supremacy over Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, either by achieving 60% or a 100% domination of all provinces. The means for achieving this goal are troops, ships and agents, and yet more of the same. Development and a functional economy are key-factors for survival on the road to glory - without it you will surely perish. Anyhow, please report in bugs, typos and anomalies if you encounter any.

Mod Name: Medieval Total War - Redux
    Mod Version: Open Beta 1007
    Language: English (Multi edition compatibility, European editions)
    Terms of Use: Restricted material. Personal Use Only...
    Size: Zipped 273MB/Uncompressed 395MB
    Compatibility: All major versions. Medieval Total War v1.1 or VI/v2.01 using the VI-upgrade module, see below...
    Operating System: 2000/XP/W7*/W10*/W11* (* with Steam)
    Hardware: see "Redux_ReadMe1007.txt"-file, virtually everything else is try and find out, essentially.
    Description: see above...
    Credits: see "Redux_ReadMe1007.txt"-file, credits section?
    Download Links:

Download primary:

Download reserve:
    http://www.moddb.com/games/medieval-...ux-beta1007zip

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the VI-upgrade BETA module, as such it makes Redux compatible with the Steam/Gold/VI/V2.01 versions of MTW. At this point it does not bring any ?extra features? to the game-experience which is thus nearly identical to the standard version of Redux. This is still a beta so it is possible it may contain some minor errors here and there. Anyhow, please report in any bugs, typos and other errors if you encounter any. All MTW-Steam users must also use this upgrade (no exceptions). Finally, the VI-upgrade is as of now included in the standard Redux package directly (as a separate folder named "Redux - VI-UPGRADE"). It is no longer available as a separate download.

Module Name: Redux VI-upgrade
    Module Version: Open Beta 1007
    Language: English (Multi edition compatibility, European editions)
    Terms of Use: P.U.O, Personal Use Only, thus it is restricted material.
    Size: Zipped 0 MB/Uncompressed 0 MB
    Install: VI-upgrade must be installed after the standard package.
    Operating System: 2000/XP/W7*/W10*/W11* (* with Steam)
    Compatibility: Medieval Total War V2.01 only. (Steam-, patched Eras- and Gold-editions included).
    Credits: see "Redux_ReadMe1007.txt"-file, credits section.
    Download Links:

Download primary:
    The VI-upgrade is included as a separate folder in the RXB1007-package...

Download reserve:
    The VI-upgrade is included as a separate folder in the RXB1007-package...

Some demo-screens of new Redux...

Demo01

Demo02

Demo03

Demo04

Apart from this regular TWC Redux-thread there is an entire sub-forum over at this place dedicated for Redux and discussions about it. Any interest, discussion and questions can be posted right here or in that external sub-forum ? at your discretion. The direction of topics is limited to the framework of Redux but beyond that it is up to you guys where the focus ends up. The intensity and traffic-levels here is also up to you people ? not me (the more posts and traffic, the more probable it is that I will be around here regularly). After all, this thread is for you guys! Well that's about it.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 11-19-2022 at 13:28. Reason: update

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: MTW-Redux 1.0 Released!

Well, it seems like I don’t have the proper privileges in order to do what I initially intended here. The plan was to put up some screenshots right here of redux for you all to see so you could get clearer hint on what it is. But that won’t happen, since I clearly don’t have privileges to do that. Well there is always plan B. It might not be as much fun as plan A, but it works at least and you can get some hints about redux anyway.

Now some more info on Redux 1.0 then; I did these screenshot-montages for my upload over at “filefront” but I think they will work around here just as well. I guess that the best way to do this is to open links in new and separate windows.

EDIT: Well, I have the privileges to do it now so I fixed it....

PIC1:

First off, pic1 shows which factions there are in redux, which factions you can play and how the starting positions looks like (by default at least). As redux offers a somewhat more colourful experience than the original map, you can basically see via the colours if region is arid/lush/temperate and so on. Sahara is put back in the game and few land bridges have been removed, all clearly indicated on the map and the campaign timeframe is AD 700-1260, 560 turns in total, so you could play it slow, real slow if that’s your style.

PIC2:

Pic2 shows some reduxed stuff in the strategic mode in SPC (single player campaign). Princesses, Bishops and Emissaries have all the colours of their faction. What the picture don’t show are that spies and inquisitors have been changed as well. The Grand Inquisitor, Priest, Alim and Cardinal has been removed and I have put in the Druid for the pagan factions (Norse and Lithuanians). That’s the white-bearded brownish old-timer that is doing some “druid_awaiting.Buf”-stuff.

There are several other changes here; plenty of new buildings (quite a few actually and I wont list them here, maybe some other time) and of course all catholic portraits has been changed. I never really liked the CA style on the portraits so changed ‘em all, it sure took its time but I did it eventually. There are also some changes in castleflags and shields (HRE, Russia etc.), on the pic some such stuff is shown for the Lombards.

PIC3:

Pic3 shows some examples of reduxed tactical mode. Various troops from the HRE and Portugal battle things out. I wanted a more colourful experience in tactical mode than the original game offered, so among other things, I changed some shields and in this case we have examples of Portugal and HRE. However, the game does not seem to like that, so my original plan of making some further changes for almost all other factions was abandoned. I only did what I had to, for new or altered factions; Lombards, Portugal, HRE etc. I have also given the Royal “reduxed” Knights some colour in tactical, which really makes them easy to spot and stand apart from other knights (you have such an example in the left corner).

PIC4:

Pic4 shows various examples of units in the game. There are some 200+ tactical units in redux and not all are available to the player, at least by conventional means (just like Viking Invasion actually). There are a few units here and there that truly are unique and that are only available by playing some special faction. To name a few here; “Spanish champion” (Spain), feudal longbowmen (England) or Byzantine palaceguards (Byzantium). Redux also introduces some high quality mini and solo units like “Ghazi Warlords”/”Feudal Champions”/”Norse Berserkers” or “Nubian Slayer”/”Champion”/”Polish Hero” and of course the grand daddy of them all; Grand Champion. Given the right support units like these can really make a difference in battle, especially if they got plenty of valour to spare. Anyways, I always felt that the original had too little variation regarding tactical units, and that was especially true for spearless infantry. Redux changes all of that and you get the chance to make some serious choices instead.

By the way, if there are some questions, if any, this thread would probably be a great place to post ‘em to.

Well that’s that, and that’s it.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-31-2009 at 06:50. Reason: update

Member thankful for this post:

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Wow! I looked at those pics and it took my breath away.
    I noticed it's only available to MTW without VI, since I've got gold edition, there's not a way to install it on my PC.
    But still, those pics are quite something, I look forward to more works by you.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Thumbs up Re: MTW-Redux 1.0 Released!

Hi Axalon

After all that work you might like to know that it works! I dug out my old disks, installed and I am really impressed. Feels like MTW but also very fresh. I'm still digging of course at this point, but having a very interesting time as the Byz. It's not trying to be historically accurate, as you say, but at the same time in a certain way - ie how you run your faction - it is. The armies of different cultures feel very different; there's a big difference between unit types; no ahistorical tendency towards spear phalanxes that sweep the field in the age of heavy cavalry; always plenty to build. I like it!

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Very cool, Axalon. If you've not already done so, I recommend you PM TosaInu to see if he'll host this here (like he did for Tyberius XL Mod add-on).
    Last edited by Martok; 08-11-2008 at 05:48. Reason: Gah!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Hi there guys, glad to hear you like it.

Raz: This stuff about gold-edition not being compatible with v1.1 was news to me. I did not know that. I lost track of such things after I got my own MTW-VI copy, back in the day when no gold-editions or Era-packs and such where around. This really is some bad news, so much for making redux usable to all happy owners of MTW, including all of you gold-edition people.

-----
    EDIT: That statement was done at a time when redux was uncompatible with VI. These days it is indeed compatible, so there are no such problems any more....

Western: your news is good news and much appreciated. You can probably toy around with redux for quite some time if you like. I know I have. Just curious, are you one of those people that have a newer GFX-card that wont work with MTW? If so, what kind of card is it?

Martok: I kind of get the impression that you like camels; there actually are two or so camel buildings in redux, that is, if you have not found that out already for yourself. Anyways, PM TosaInu? Yeah, I might just do that, if no one else beats me to it. It would be my pleasure to have redux hosted around here.

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 05-27-2009 at 12:56. Reason: update

Hi mate
    It looks brilliant, good work mate.
    I cant play MTW at the moment becose the 8000 driver problem, i am waithing for a update so the people with 8000 Ge force grafic card cane play MTW again
    But if the update commes i will play this mod

Smile Re: MTW-Redux 1.0 Released!

Axalon

In answer to your question, I'm playing on an old computer. I've never had video card problems because mine is still MTW vintage.

Hi there,

I know, I know, long time no see. It has been a very hectic time lately, with a lot of tight deadlines at work and tons of family appointments and obligations, which all combined has left me with no possibility of extending my Russian empire. In any case, I have kept myself well updated with the contents of this thread. I am happy to see (even though surely not as much as Axalon) the increasing number of active members in the “Redux corner”.

Anyway, yesterday I told myself, enough is enough, and after putting wife and kid to bed, I grabbed a nice bottle of wine, switched on my old computer (only one usable for MTW) and settled myself for a nice Redux late-night show.

Read at your own discretion:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    To get a context picture, I should say that the Russian horde had already control over the Steppes, form Lithuania and Kiev to Khazar (spelling???). In any case, I play in hard (yes, I am a sissy) and I am a very cautious player, setting technical/infrastructural development over military might.

In my last session, I continued deploying my naval trade network at the maximum pace I could afford, cutting down in infrastructure expense and above all, troops production. In any case, after a few peaceful years, secured by my network of alliances, my fleet extended from Novgorod to the Black See, giving me a huge trade revenue … or at least compared to the meagre income I had at the beginning of the campaign (at this point Novgorod gave around 2.2k per turn).

The AI is building nice size armies when it can afford it. My Byzantine neighbours had 2-3 stacks per province around my borders, but the French are still the main military might of the known world. My Polish border on the other hand, is basically demilitarised, a long stretch of no-mans land. Soon enough as I feared (and somehow hoped for, as I tend not to start wars to easily overwhelm the AI) the Byzantines make their move. My only complain is that it was a very bold one: they try to sink my mighty fleet with their pathetic two vessel fleet. The result, two naval victories and no Byzantine fleet no more. And now comes my shameful sneaky move: taking advantage of my naval superiority I land a huge army at Byzantium itself where the Byzantine king is taking a little rest from the front lines. As every single time in MTW, the AI surrenders the province not to get the king stacked in a sieged castle. Byzantium (and its wooping 4.5k a turn) is mine.

As for AI behaviour, next turn the AI reacts pretty well sending large multiple-stacks armies to all our border provinces, Byzantium, Kiev and Khazar. Unfortunately (for the AI of course) I crush every single one of these attacks taking so many prisoners my war ships are about to sink.

And there we are now, after playing 3 major battles until 3:00 am, I decided it was time to quit. All-and-all, a very enjoyable late-night Redux show. Well, the morning was not that good with the kid waking up at 6:00 am and demanding constant attention, but well, I suppose that is the price you have to pay for waging war.

Some of my feelings/comments about the campaign:

• Early in the campaign, I thought “Slavic bowmen” rocked as they could decimate half a rebel army in a bridge battle when attacking. They have superb range and pretty good damage. They delivered a good 200 kills per unit. Of course, the rebel were not really armoured, which did not helped them much. So, why do I need crossbows for? The have shorter range and enormously long reloading times. They are obsolete, why keep them?
    • A little further into the campaign I realised how premature my first impression was. Now I realise crossbowmen are death incarnate on the battlefield. On defence, they are consistently delivering 200 kills per unit … with more than half the ammunition left.
    • Now that I can afford it, large cavalry units are über devastating .. at least against the Byzantines, but I would imagine 133 horsemen charging anything could be quite a sight.
    • Does it pay of to build very high end units despite their much lower men count? Royal Spearmen (or something like that) come in a 53 men package, is that enough to be effective against either a cavalry charge or an average-stat 100 men sword unit? I have to confess I have not seen them fight yet.

On the tactical side:

• It is true the Byzantines field a huge amount of missile units, so they are easily beatable with a horde of horsemen … which is the Russian approach. When you field 4-5 133 horsemen units plus your generals, mostly of royal blood, the Byzantines are dead meat. Anyway, I think you already changed that.
    • I am actually looking forward to finishing off the Byzantines so I can have a go at the Saracens, mainly because their armies are mostly Saracen Spearmen and Camel Warriors, so I do not think the cavalry approach would work very well here. I can still remember the massacre the Camel Warriors made of my Christian Knights on the original game.
    • After the Byzantines attacked me, all my allies abandoned me, and do not consider my marriage proposal anymore. I suppose they are getting a little bit scared of my power, which is good. Maybe we can see a firm alliance opposing my Russian mighty warriors.
    • Sorry, I know I already mentioned it, but I would do it again anyway. Is there any way to set a higher priority for ship construction for the AI? Now only England (1), Italy (2) and Spain (1) have boats on the water. No boats, no trade. No trade, no money. No money, no war machine.

On the bug/fixable/suggestion side:
    • I might be wrong, but I have not been able to find my Khazar governor anywhere. Maybe the title is lost? Maybe my eye sight is crap?
    • What does the “ruin ….” Building really do? I suppose it is happiness, but it is not stated on the card description. It just says something about bridging together the real and spiritual worlds (ok, that was kind of a personal description).
    • Russian hero does not have picture, but a number of question marks (maybe intended?). I am actually looking forward to building one of these, but since the description says keep protected from arrows and the Byzantines have mainly missile units, I do not know whether I will get to see him fight at all.
    • Ok, this one is going to be annoying, I know. I am a spoiled brat, I know. The thing is, I am one of those who followed Frogbeastegg’s bible and get a little bit lost when I do not know the stats of my units. Is there an easy way to create a chart like that? Please, remember I am a full blown ignorant.

And that would be all. I know, it was long.

I finally got the game to work. The game sure is on par with the original Medieval Total War, and it does have a lot of new, never seen before units. The game is also much harder since the costs to construct buildings went sky high. The battles seem a bit weird, where the units look like a swarm of ants. The game also has a few bugs where when loading a battle up it will say unable to find some files, then exit out of the battle. The game starts out slow since you don't have much money to build at the beginning, but once you built some income generating buildings, then you will be ok with money. Overall, the game needs some improvements but it is good for the first try.

I only recently stumbled onto this mod. It's become very addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugalu View Post
    [...] The battles seem a bit weird, where the units look like a swarm of ants. The game also has a few bugs where when loading a battle up it will say unable to find some files, then exit out of the battle [...]
    Hi Hugalu,

Regarding the look of the units, do they actually look weird? It might have something to do with your graphics card or drivers. Mine look fine ... ok, they look as weird as the original game when you compare them to the newer Total War releases.

Regarding missing files when loading up the battles, you might want to check your installation. I do not think anybody has complain about that, and definitely not on the campaign game. For me, this is the most stable TW series mode I have ever played, and I have played a few total conversions. Admittedly, I have not played that much (100 turns in each of my two campaigns) but not a single crash, works flawlessly for me.

The cavalry units look fine, just the infantry units that look weird. The game overall is fast and all, but it does lack the varieties of factions and events that other mods have. I like it the way it is, but if it can be expanded a little bit more it will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugalu View Post
    The cavalry units look fine, just the infantry units that look weird. The game overall is fast and all, but it does lack the varieties of factions and events that other mods have. I like it the way it is, but if it can be expanded a little bit more it will be better.
    Ok, now I just HAVE to have a look at my infantry with a more critical eye. I will let you know tomorrow as tonight I will continue my struggle against Byzantium ... hopefully not until as late as yesterday .

Default Re: MTW-Redux Released!

Long Live MTW!!!

I suppose… I like da ‘ol game anyhow (especially after I modified it)

Everytime i see a new post from you Axalon im hoping its version 3 or some new screenies......arrgh

Default Re: Tips for a new Redux player?

Just checking in to see how version 3 is coming along?
    Last edited by Axalon; 06-07-2010 at 00:54. Reason: Moved to appropriate thread. - Axalon

Default Re: Tips for a new Redux player?

Hello Achilles,

I will probably post up some update for you within a few days. Overall, I think it is likely that we will see a release somehow in 2010. Whether it will be beta or the real thing only time can tell. Recently, I have had probems to log in here at the ORG so things are a bit uncertain because of that as well - hopefully that was only temporary. Anyhow and in the meantime, this place is open for business people...

- Cheers
    ------------
    On another note, thanks Ludens for keeping an eye on this place, I appreciate it...

2000 downloads….

Yesterday, MTW-Redux 2nd edition hit the 2000 downloads-marker. It is rather amazing considering the overall circumstances – an 8 year old game to play it and the first release as late as 2008 (some 6 years after MTW was released. Now if that is not bad timing – I don’t know what is). Anyhow, there it is.

Do enjoy redux folks….

- Cheers

Congrats, Axalon. It does have a certain charm about it you know (the game mod, that is).

A month ago I moded MTW with XL and have been enjoying all the new factions and units. I definitely will have to give Redux a try, love the colorful unique factions and screenshots. The game mod sounds like it makes campaigns very challenging and the main focus is the battlefield, diverse units, and tactics which are all big draws for me. Wonderful job on the mod!

Default Re: Redux: Install Emergency!

Just an idea but maybe you could make two full versions of your mod - one for MTW 1.0/1.1 and one for Gold/VI? And put Gold/VI on top cause probably 90% of people use Gold/VI versions nowadays.

btw I'm wandering around the map and factions. I've just saw 100 men naptha uniit. My 1st thought was like: "Are you MAD?" I didn't have time to go through all txt files but I'm really looking forward to see this unit in battle. It should be very entertaining to watch them "fighting" .
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Default Re: HRE-campaign in Redux v1004 (Hard)

Hello Zarakas and thanks for posting…

I have been thinking back and forth… And, it’s my conclusion that I can never create a game that is “immune” to Staz and Dai’s playing-style - not within the parameters in which it has been “discovered” or made visible. The designs can always be improved upon somehow, and that in turn that will influence and improve the overall game - but - I see no serious alternative or solution to the outlined dilemma (above) beyond switching to veteran level. It’s optional of course, but it is the only rational alternative if one truly desires to seriously combat the problem as outlined. If things are too easy, you make it a bit harder or simply accept that the challenge is not at full capacity, as that option was then actively discarded by you.

So the problem is effectively gone and the premise is void (its my fault for no seeing that in the first place). Dai and Staz have a choice to make and it’s not our problem but theirs. “Will I play on veteran-level or not?” essentially... I’ll comment on your suggestions anyhow as I hate to throw away your suggestions unexamined for nothing... Also, thanks a ton for your general praise of Redux, I appreciate it - especially when providing a clue on what you actually liked! Anyways….

Quote Originally Posted by Zarakas View Post
    MTW original offered different periods and units, in addition, it also had the Mongols. This added the need to prepare, and change of strategy for the player.
    Yup it did, but it never had the dynamics and action of Redux. Whatever that stuff brought to the table is already there in Redux as it is. As of 1004, the Saracens and Moors as faction’s works in similar ways the Mongols did in the raw game. If unchecked they will probably become very powerful and dangerous for all, due to sheer numbers and resources alone. Instead of having a threat entering the map from the east at a fixed and known date, we have in Redux (usually) a threat brewing start-up in the south and it is likely to grow steadily and organically to become very dangerous to all factions if nothing is done about it. Same thing goes for the rebels, a factor that essentially does not exist in raw MTW, not as a serious one anyway. Rebels in Redux can become very strong if left alone in “castle-provinces” for too long. As I see it, there is hardly any shortage of the need to “prepare” and “adapt” in Redux. As for the “Eras”, they served little actual purpose in the game, other then holding back the player from tech and units (and it created bugs). I see no real market for that here. The plan for Redux is to have an organic dynamics which is not fixed to dates or certain triggers but to ever changing, shifting circumstances which is unpredictable and uncertain. That’s the plan - that is what the designs are set to achieve.

1. Maybe a stronger power to the East or North East, say a greater Russia or Steppes faction to challange the Byzantines.
    I think it is the other way around. Regardless, Byzantium is not a regular faction, meaning they are not priority or a reason to make other factions stronger as to rival them more successfully. Byzantium is this strong as to rival other factions successfully, in the first place… It is not actually designed with a player in mind, in contrast to say Italy, Spain or England for instance which are regular factions because of they were explicitly designed with the player in mind. Byzantium is an optional faction for people who want to play them anyway, well aware that it will not really be the same thing in terms of appearance, challenge and complexity.

2. Maybe an addition to unit types
    I just don’t see how Redux need much more of that. And, what would that be? It already have some 200+ units providing a level of choice and freedom which is unheard of in the raw MTW. I also try to have actual purpose and distinction for units, which again was a blatant problem in raw MTW. At this point its not easy as most stuff and aspects is already covered somehow in the unit-grid. If you got any fantastic ideas, lets hear them, but very doubtful it will go much further then that. Last time I made a unit suggested to me was like 2008 or 2009… Still, try me…

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; 01-30-2014 at 07:24.

Hi,
    @Axalon:

While a bit more generous with occasions for expressing your praise Dai, I still very much appreciate it, all the same… As ever… :)
    Which greater praise is possible than playing your mod day and night (ask my wife...;-)) ?!? digging into it´s depths with my means and drilling holes into it´s very bottom to find out about mechanics and possibilities?!?
    Sorry if I don´t write too much about all this, I´m mostly interested in the ways to understand, for the game to follow my style of playing, and then give some summary.

And, it’s my conclusion that I can never create a game that is “immune” to Staz and Dai’s playing-style
    SIR!

We do not strive for immunity, no we don´t, and we will not have it! For stubborn men immunity doesn´t exist, never will, and every attempt to reach there is in vain.

greetings, daigaku

p.s. A question about my more talkative moments: Is there a chance you´d admit an "off topic" - thread?!?

Hello Axalon, and thanks for detailed response.

I will concentrate on playing with regular factions. I do have difficulty with the rebels at times, in particular when my faction has internal rebellion. I hate rebuilding.

Italy's position is close enough to Byzatium!

Cheers
    Zarakas

Hi,
    @Axalon: I myself never understood this differentiation between major and minor factions. Already in Vanilla I was annoyed not being able to play Novgorod in early, for example. My personal opinion is: If it´s on the map, it should be playable (except the Pope maybe, for his special role in the game). In Redux, for example, I´d like to have a go with the Portugese, starting with a single province and quite some challenge on the doorstep. Or the Hungarians, stuck in the middle of hell between Germans, Italians, Polish and Byzantium. Being a rather poor modder, I´m at loss there. I enjoy the game anyway, as you might know ;-))
    @Zarakas: Running danger to annoy, I say again: My all-time-favourite faction are the Danish/Norse, optional factions in both Vanilla and Redux (never thought really about it, just played them). And for me, my personal style of playing, my preferrence being turtling around till I strike fast and hard, they are simply the perfect faction. In Redux, the Russians as well, and the English with their ranged warfare, are a treat for themselves.
    To make the Byz some more challenging in Redux, maybe a way would be to let alone the Saracenes for a while till they tech up. If that´s the case, they might become the challenge you seek for the Byz, especially in desert warfare, where those heavily tanked up ByzCav exhaust themselves already just standing around in the heat ;-))

Wish you much fun playing,

greetings daigaku

Quote Originally Posted by daigaku View Post
    Hi,
    I myself never understood this differentiation between major and minor factions. Already in Vanilla I was annoyed not being able to play Novgorod in early, for example. My personal opinion is: If it´s on the map, it should be playable (except the Pope maybe, for his special role in the game). In Redux, for example, I´d like to have a go with the Portugese, starting with a single province and quite some challenge on the doorstep. Or the Hungarians, stuck in the middle of hell between Germans, Italians, Polish and Byzantium. Being a rather poor modder, I´m at loss there. I enjoy the game anyway, as you might know ;-))
    Hello again (and again, and again )@daigaku:

I'm sure Axalon will be along to answer this shortly, but I'll see if I can beat him to it.

It's extremely easy to make unplayable factions playable (save the pope), provided you're using the VI engine -- even for an inexperienced modder such as myself.

You simply go to the startpos file, scroll down to where the factions are listed in "minor" and "major" columns, and simply copy/paste the "minor" (i.e. unplayable) faction to the "major" column, et voila!

I've done this with the Hungarians, Aragonese, and Burgundians in my game.

Hi,

@Zarakas: Running danger to annoy, I say again: My all-time-favourite faction are the Danish/Norse, optional factions in both Vanilla and Redux (never thought really about it, just played them). And for me, my personal style of playing, my preferrence being turtling around till I strike fast and hard, they are simply the perfect faction. In Redux, the Russians as well, and the English with their ranged warfare, are a treat for themselves.
    To make the Byz some more challenging in Redux, maybe a way would be to let alone the Saracenes for a while till they tech up. If that´s the case, they might become the challenge you seek for the Byz, especially in desert warfare, where those heavily tanked up ByzCav exhaust themselves already just standing around in the heat ;-))

Wish you much fun playing,

greetings daigaku
    Thank you Daigaku

I am currently playing the Italians (a standard faction). Its year 957AD, I have had two rebeliions, the first one I lost half my armies to rebel generals. I defeated all of them and kept the provinces. I find the king always has very low loyalty to start with. I dont know why, and it does not seem to increase with time.

I also enjoy playing the Norse, great infantry, however they also rebel consistantly. I will try the Byz again, and take up your suggestions.

Greetings Zarakas

Hi, friends,
    Now, you know what my excitement is? To get as many of my brave guys as possible home after battle. Every lost man is my personal failure. I simply imagine a REAL battle, thinking about my men and about the country they live in, and I don´t want to loose neighter men nor land to anybody not caring for them/it as good as I do (there should be, in my opinion, even some influence increase in the game for keeping my people happy, rich and alive!). The kick is to build up, as far as possible, to have the best drill possible, and, if really necessary, to beat the enemy with the least lost men possible.
    Redux does make that quite a bit harder than Vanilla, therefor I play it. And, as said quite often, con mucho gusto ;-)
    daigaku
    How fascinating. It's interesting how our play styles as gamers reflects some of our beliefs/idiosyncrasies/ideologies.
    I share your 'getting a kick' out of building provinces/armies to the max. But as for 'bringing as many soldiers home as possible', what a wonderfully modern idea to impose on a game about the middle-ages! Less than a century ago our rulers were sending hundreds of thousands of men to their deaths for their own benefit! It's a very modern idea that at least in Western armies, there is a 'maximum loss' threshold after which you can only achieve Phyrric victories. Or the idea of a 'clean war' in which individual life in sanctified (at least in law if not in reality).
    I really like a good bloodbath. That is, I favour more of a 'meatgrinder' approach which seems more adequate to my (perverted?) sense of realism. I feel it would be wrong for a faction of minimal influence to make extraordinary gains against a much more powerful faction. Although obviously history has its moments of this happening, of inspired leadership and luck etc., most of the time it's a case of raw productive/population power. More resources/production/population = the winner.
    It's because of this that I could never play as a faction like Aragon or Sicily. I can't see a alternative history where these factions displace Spain/France etc.
    Not to mention I also feel sympathy with these peasant revolts, since I know these peasants are the real producers on upon which my fragile pompous empire depends. Do they get a share of the 'income' that is generated through trade and production? Lol I think not.
    Anyway I wouldn't play games if I wanted realism at all costs, since as Axalon has said elsewhere, games are really simplified symbolic representations of historical forces. I mention this just because some of it has a direct relationship to how I play, as it does for you, which I find fascinating.
    Last edited by jingo7; 09-01-2014 at 13:53.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast