Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Che Roriniho's Unofficial EB Manual Project

Default Che Roriniho's Unofficial EB Manual Project

Okay, here goes.
    Right, as some of you may have noticed lately, I've mentioned that I have started on a Manual for EB. In order to show people that I'm actually doing something, and to advertise my need for help, I have decided to upload what I have got so far, just toget the ball rolling. It is little more than a To-Do list and a Formations and army composition list for Makedonia and Romani, but I hope soon that it will become much,. much more.

Presenting.... v0.0.3!!!!!

And now... v0.0.4!!!!!!!!!

Now, as I'm sure you can guess, I need help. And with the manual.

At the moment, I need:

Writers - I need some peole who can filter through various bits of information and write up something fairly simple. most will be no longer than a page, if that.

Historians - Okay, not quite at the level of the unit makers, but people who know what the most common formation for the factions.

Artists - People to do backgrounds for pages and things, and a nice logo for the manual itself, will gain a +1 Che Roriniho Biscuit of Excellence.

Concubines - Well, duh...

And that's probably it. If you think you can help, just PM me, and I'm sure I can find you something to do. If you can't do much, then thats fimne, it's not a permanent Job, but something that you can help with as and when you want. Thanks.

CHE RORINIHO
    Last edited by Che Roriniho; 08-17-2008 at 20:41.

Default Re: Che Roriniho's Unofficial EB Manula Project

Wow, 91 views and not a single reply! This must be a record!

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

I can help with the EB installation manual
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [B]Installation

If you're using vista
    enter to your program files folder (c:\program files)and look for the Activision or Creative assembly folder select it and cut it then create a new folder somewhere else (say C:\Games) and paste the Activision folder in it (

1-First make sure you have a clean RTW 1.5 installation on your computer.
    • This is to make absolutely certain old files or directories won't cause problems for the EB installation.
    • you should also delete any EB prior to 1.1, If I'm not wrong you just need to delete the folder called EB in your Rome - Total war folder , wich is located in your Activision/Creative assembly directory

2-Double-click the EB installer file and follow the instructions on screen.

• when you're asked to enter the location of rtw , select the Rome - Total war folder (wherever you might have it)
    • The installation process gives you the option to install a number of supporting tools and the "modesty patch", which adds loincloths to the naked units. The modesty patch is NOT recommended, however, and is provided purely as a service to those who must appease parents, and for anyone who is uncomfortable with pixelated genitalia.

3- I suggest using the latest fixes , just enter to the 1.1 fixes thread and download and apply the Permanent fixes , being the optional... merely optiona

that should do it

but I'm honestly lost for everything else... I don't know if I have the time to do this
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 08-10-2008 at 23:36.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3|| View Post
    I can help with the EB installation manual
    [B]Installation

If you're using vista
    enter to your program files folder (c:\program files)and look for the Activision or Creative assembly folder select it and cut it then create a new folder somewhere else (say C:\Games) and paste the Activision folder in it (

1-First make sure you have a clean RTW 1.5 installation on your computer.
    • This is to make absolutely certain old files or directories won't cause problems for the EB installation.
    • you should also delete any EB prior to 1.1, If I'm not wrong you just need to delete the folder called EB in your Rome - Total war folder , wich is located in your Activision/Creative assembly directory

2-Double-click the EB installer file and follow the instructions on screen.

• when you're asked to enter the location of rtw , select the Rome - Total war folder (wherever you might have it)
    • The installation process gives you the option to install a number of supporting tools and the "modesty patch", which adds loincloths to the naked units. The modesty patch is NOT recommended, however, and is provided purely as a service to those who must appease parents, and for anyone who is uncomfortable with pixelated genitalia.

3- I suggest using the latest fixes , just enter to the 1.1 fixes thread and download and apply the Permanent fixes , being the optional... merely optiona

that should do it

but I'm honestly lost for everything else... I don't know if I have the time to do this
    Thanks. It's not a permenant 'Job' like actual EB membership, but iof you have some spare time, or have something useful, then just PM me. I don't mind if you can only do a paragraph, a single background page, or something major. It's open to all ages, folks!

I know this thread has raised about as much exitment as a pile of fresh roadkill, but I'm still working on it.

Here's v0.0.2

I really would like some help. Even if it's just reading it and giving feedback.

To show some interest, i have a few - more cosmetic - suggestions:

For text that exceeds single lines you should use full justification, looks nicer and somehow more professional, in my opinion.
    Sentence 2 in the introduction says: '[...]almost all the data in has been changed[...]'. I suspect there should be an 'it' or something similar behind the 'in'.
    In sentence 4 in the introduction you use different tenses to describe what EB changes: 'expands' <-> 'added, made'.

English is not my first language, but i try :) Good luck with this project, anyway. I'll have a look now and then and perhaps will be able to make a more useful contribution eventually.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 08-11-2008 at 13:44.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Default Re: Che Roriniho's Unofficial EB Manual Project

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    To show some interest, i have a few - more cosmetic - suggestions:

For text that exceeds single lines you should use full justification, looks nicer and somehow more professional, in my opinion.
    Sentence 2 in the introduction says: '[...]almost all the data in has been changed[...]'. I suspect there should be an 'it' or something similar behind the 'in'.
    In sentence 4 in the introduction you use different tenses to describe what EB changes: 'expands' <-> 'added, made'.

English is not my first language, but i try :) Good luck with this project, anyway. I'll have a look now and then and perhaps will be able to make a more useful contribution eventually.
    Thanks. This is, as youy can probably see, very much in the beta stages. I'm awaiting quite a large amount of writing from stupac, which should double the total pages.

That introduction will also probably be replaced by the time v0.1 comes out.

Default AW: Che Roriniho's Unofficial EB Manula Project

Hello Che Roriniho,
    good idea and real respect for your work! if do all the points in your list you don´t have much time left to play eb.

i´ve got a remark/question:
    are you shure that a camillian roman army fought in manipular tactic? i think that this professionell formation couldn´t be practised by a levi-army.
    imho the polybian-reforms was the beginning to break up the standart-phalanx style combats.
    like delbrück says: the characteristic of early roman style is "the mass of peopel" that works like a bulldoser (lock at cannae).

so the polybian-reforms, in knowing the mistakes of the first punic war reformed the unorganized camillian bulldoser into a more flexible formation, but still in three/four lines.
    if you look at the battle of zama you can see the learningprocess and the more ability of roman dicipline.

i think manipular-tactics need a lot of dicipline and professional training (no levi-army can do this), also clear commands and the belief of strengh and confidence in the other comrades in arms.

Default Re: AW: Che Roriniho's Unofficial EB Manula Project

Quote Originally Posted by Tartaros View Post
    Hello Che Roriniho,
    good idea and real respect for your work! if do all the points in your list you don´t have much time left to play eb.

i´ve got a remark/question:
    are you shure that a camillian roman army fought in manipular tactic? i think that this professionell formation couldn´t be practised by a levi-army.
    imho the polybian-reforms was the beginning to break up the standart-phalanx style combats.
    like delbrück says: the characteristic of early roman style is "the mass of peopel" that works like a bulldoser (lock at cannae).

so the polybian-reforms, in knowing the mistakes of the first punic war reformed the unorganized camillian bulldoser into a more flexible formation, but still in three/four lines.
    if you look at the battle of zama you can see the learningprocess and the more ability of roman dicipline.

i think manipular-tactics need a lot of dicipline and professional training (no levi-army can do this), also clear commands and the belief of strengh and confidence in the other comrades in arms.
    Glad you like it, I just hope I manage to do all that I want to. There's actually a lot more I would like to do than is in the todo list. Hopefully by the end of this, it will be utterly gorgeous, and in the style of the rest of EB as well.

They took the manipular tactics from the Samnites, who had developed them ages before. remember, EB starts about 500 years after Rome was founded, and their Army had moved accordingly. They did, as you may have seen if you've played the quincux in EB, attacking is difficult, as you can effectively only fight on 1 front. Which is why Cannae worked. The Romans moved their quincux to what they persieved as a weak point in the Carthaginian lines, which is what Hannibal intended, and we all know what happened next.

Default AW: Che Roriniho's Unofficial EB Manula Project

probably i use the wrong word for the tactic, i mean the in german called "treffentaktik" - don´t know the english spelling for it.
    i think that the "treffentaktik" is a better developed form of the manipular-tactic, but not developed in cammilian times. you know, i mean the chess-board

Quote Originally Posted by Tartaros View Post
    probably i use the wrong word for the tactic, i mean the in german called "treffentaktik" - don´t know the english spelling for it.
    i think that the "treffentaktik" is a better developed form of the manipular-tactic, but not developed in cammilian times. you know, i mean the chess-board
    The Camillan's used something similar, but I agree, it did change considerably with Polybus. I think the 'chess-board' formation best serves the purpose, at least for now.

v0.0.5 Should be out by friday. If this thing is going to go somewhere, then I really do need help. Please. It's only small things, but quite a lot of them, too much for me at the moment. I'm doing as much as I can, but it's going slowly, and I can't keep a my current pace for fear of losing my sanity.

A polybian army is exactly as levy as a camillan army, so that doesn't mean much.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    A polybian army is exactly as levy as a camillan army, so that doesn't mean much.
    True, but the thinking haad certainly progessed. Remember, Rome flourished as Greek went through it's dark ages.

(I think this is correct. Feel free to correct me)

Quote Originally Posted by Che Roriniho View Post
    True, but the thinking haad certainly progessed. Remember, Rome flourished as Greek went through it's dark ages.

(I think this is correct. Feel free to correct me)
    No.

Remember that there were no standing professional armies in large numbers by then. Most armies were made of levies, however I would not underestimate such armies because of the martial culture that allowed levy warriors to have at least some basic skill and discipline to march in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos ton Ellenon View Post
    No.

Remember that there were no standing professional armies in large numbers by then. Most armies were made of levies, however I would not underestimate such armies because of the martial culture that allowed levy warriors to have at least some basic skill and discipline to march in line.
    Oh, cheers. But back on topic. I really really need people to give helping hand with various bits and bobs. If you think you might be able to help in any way, don't hesitate to PM me!

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

enter to your program files folder (c:\program files)and look for the Activision or Creative assembly folder select it and cut it then create a new folder somewhere else (say C:\Games) and paste the Activision folder in it
    Sorry Lz3, but this is pointless as far as I can see, why do you suggest this? All it will do is cause problems for inexperienced computer users when they wonder why they can't uninstall/install the game.
    Just install Rome to C:\Games\ or where ever to begin with.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by overweightninja View Post
    Sorry Lz3, but this is pointless as far as I can see, why do you suggest this? All it will do is cause problems for inexperienced computer users when they wonder why they can't uninstall/install the game.
    Just install Rome to C:\Games\ or where ever to begin with.
    Cheers

err... emm yep

I did this for a guy who already had installed EB in PF...(program files) ..

but if you think so... you need to have EB installed in the same place than RTW and my guess would be that many have RTW in program files already
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

This place called 'rooms,' there's a whole chain of them.

err... emm yep

but if you think so... you need to have EB installed in the same place than RTW and my guess would be that many have RTW in program files already
    This is recommended to avoid problems in vista, so it is recommended that vista users reinstall RTW (or just copy/move their RTW folder to another folder outside of program files like c:\games\). This because of vista's UAC system which has a virtual program files folder where user changes go. It really just ends up causing problems, especially with the new trivial script.
    Colder than a gut-shot bitch wolf dog with nine suckin' pups pulling a #4 trap up a hill in the dead of winter in the middle of a snowstorm with a mouth full of porcupine quills.

My videos

It really just ends up causing problems, especially with the new trivial script.
    It only causes problems if mod is installed in wrong place ( in Program Files folder ).
    UAC and full conversion mods just do not mix, RTW and UAC does not mix well to.
    UAC is not evil, its there to protect you.

Edited: You can either turn off UAC and get back to XP days of total freedom and total lack of security or you can play along with UAC instead of fighting against it.

EB team has made clear in the installer how EB should be properly install to avoid problems, just fallow this instructions and you will be fine.
    Last edited by LorDBulA; 08-12-2008 at 09:46.

err... emm yep

I disagree, if someone is not skilled enough to do that off their own back, as I mentioned I would imagine that for inexperienced users would just end up causing hassle later on when they wonder why they can't reinstall RTW or whatever, (unless you also want to put instructions for editing the registry as well :p).

I would suggest the advice be given as install EB in your rome directory, if rome directory is located in program files under vista, uninstall and reinstall somewhere else.

I disagree, if someone is not skilled enough to do that off their own back, as I mentioned I would imagine that for inexperienced users would just end up causing hassle later on when they wonder why they can't reinstall RTW or whatever, (unless you also want to put instructions for editing the registry as well :p).

I would suggest the advice be given as install EB in your rome directory, if rome directory is located in program files under vista, uninstall and reinstall somewhere else.
    sounds newbie-fail-proof ... very well then
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

sounds newbie-fail-proof ... very well then
    That's the idea mate ;)
    Good luck with this btw Che, hopefully this one will go the whole 9-yards

That's the idea mate ;)
    Good luck with this btw Che, hopefully this one will go the whole 9-yards
    Thanks. I'm really hoping it will, as EB is lacking a manual, and due to the nature of it, it kinda needs one. I for one was baffled by the government system to begin with. Speaking of which, I need help writing asbout the Gov system. I've got the basics in, but I'm not quite sure of all the mechanics behind them. PM me if you can help.

Just uploaded v0.0.3!

Thanks everyone so much who has replied and said nice things about it so far!

Remember though, this is a large project, and I need all the help I can get. I now need more arty-historical types for the formations/backgrounds respectively. I would like all factions covered and backgrounds done by v0.1, so I need help!

I'm still wondering what the hell does "Unofficial EB MANULA" means

em I suck at artistic things <.<
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

I'm still wondering what the hell does "Unofficial EB MANULA" means

em I suck at artistic things <.<
    Yeh, can a mod change that please?

This would be way better as a Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    This would be way better as a Wiki.
    One day I might turn it into one, but It's gonna be a pdf until it's finished, and then I might turn it into a wiki. It's got to be functional inn order for it to be any use as a wiki.

On a side not, I'm going to be releasing v0.0.4 in the next couple a days. those waiting for v0.1, which will be quite a milestone, will have to wait till approximately the week after next.

Once again, a call to all artists and historians, PLEASE HELP! We have cookies...

Default Re: Che Roriniho's Unofficial EB Manual Project

Also,

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast