Thread: Faction List Discussion

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Faction List Discussion

There's been quite a bit of discussion on the official forums regarding which factions to include. Obviously, our map covers a very large area of land, so there's been quite a bit of debate regarding which factions merit a faction slot. Considering the start date of 1073 AD (and the end date of 1218 AD), we've came up with the list below. All factions will be playable, except the Kara-Khitans who will arrive on the map in 1135 AD.

The Kingdom of Scotland
    The Kingdom of Ireland
    The Kingdom of England
    The Kingdom of France
    The Duchy of Aquitaine
    The Kingdom of Leon-Castille
    The Kingdom of Aragon
    The Kingdom of Norway
    The Kingdom of Denmark
    The Holy Roman Empire
    The Kingdom of Poland
    The Kingdom of Hungary
    The Republic of Venice
    The Duchy of Apulia-Calabria
    The Papal States

Rus
    The Byzantine Empire
    The Kingdom of Georgia
    Makuria
    Zagwe Dynasty

The Murabitun
    The Zirids
    The Fatimid Caliphate
    The Seljuq Empire
    The Kara-Khanid Khanate
    The Ghaznavid Empire
    The Volga-Bulgar Khanate

Wagadou
    The Kipchaks
    Kara-Khitai

I've also made a map from the map_regions file to show the starting locations of each faction:

Of course, we still welcome any suggestions as the new factions are still in the early stages of their implementation.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 08-13-2008 at 11:22.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Default Re: Faction List Discussion

i love the diversity of the factions and the expanse that you are attempting to cover
    best of luck

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Thank you.

We really want to make the campaign feel as epic as possible, so covering such a large area every faction will be very unique.

is this even possible? 32 factions and a huge map thought it was only 199 regions + one sea zone and also thought it was 21 factions that was possible to have...and those are hardcoded (one of the factions must be rebels)

It's 31 factions, including the rebel faction. Also my map uses something like 197-199 of the regions, with the limit being 200 (including the sea).

ok

No Timurids? No Mongols? Half the fun of playing in the East was fighting off these invasions.

Quote Originally Posted by jsadighi View Post
    No Timurids? No Mongols? Half the fun of playing in the East was fighting off these invasions.
    No, but the Kara-Khitans will play a similar role.

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

May I inquire as to the state of Cicilia (Lower Armenia)? They were known to be quite independent of the Byzantine Emperor's, an autonomous state in all but name. How will this be represented ingame?

I'd be for an actual Armenia faction, but if it can be handled well enough another way, that's just as good.
    Last edited by ULC; 11-12-2008 at 22:02.

The Byzantines only really lost their grip on Cilican Armenia in the Turkish advance after Manzikert. At the start date, the Turks will be ready to overrun the area, although there will still be Byzantine resistance.

However, the limited Byzantine control over the area will be represented through the government system, limiting income, growth, and troop recruitment.

Can we at least see some good cameo units?

Quote Originally Posted by YLC View Post

Can we at least see some good cameo units?
    New units won't be implemented until after the Beta, but the Beta will include a whole new campaign map, which will be ready to play by the end of December.

What do you think of the map BTW?

Can we have a once piece map? It's really hard to tell otherwise where everything is and what everything is

Can we have a once piece map? It's really hard to tell otherwise where everything is and what everything is
    The screenshots in the campaign map threads are as much as you can fit onto a PC screen.

Or do you mean the mini-map? I'm not sure how to change that yet, although I'm pretty sure it can be done.

If IIRC, I remember someone had been able to get a full map of the campaign (not minimap).
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 11-13-2008 at 16:31.

The entire campaign map on one screen?!?!

How do you think it looks anyway - I'm dying for feedback!

Oh, it's great so far, although I'll think I might get confused a bit by the two black colored factions . I know one is the HRE, whats the other?

I just wish I had your modding ability.

Oh, it's great so far, although I'll think I might get confused a bit by the two black colored factions . I know one is the HRE, whats the other?

I just wish I had your modding ability.
    First of all, thanks!

But trust me, if you persevere with modding then you will get there in the end. I think you are exactly where I was in the past - lots of ideas for mods, distracting you from playing the game, but you get overwhelmed with all the tough technical aspects of modding. I'm as thick as they come when it comes to working with code and complicated file formats and having to make every pixel perfect - but I stuck to the guides, made lots of mistakes, and now I'm working on a total conversion mod.

I have more failed mods than you would shake a stick at. The first one to succeed, also the most recent, was the Mali faction mod. It took a long time getting the experience the hard way before I successfuly completed that first mod.

Rest assured, I won't let this one fail! I'm just taking a break this month because of exams.

Oh, and the other black coloured faction is the Kara-Khitan Khanate, appearing as the Timurids of vanilla there.

Ugh, still...maybe someone could actually make a complete idiots guide to modding? I mean, in a way in which we start from basic principles, move onto basic text editing, step up to faction editing, faction creation, retexturing, modeling, then finally animations? Then, have a nice way of composing it all into one thing so you can look over and see the steps and file location necessary?

That would be to awesome though

Right now, all I am trying to do is take whats in Kingdoms, move it over to M2TW, and add in a handful of factions, redo a couple units skins and assign them to factions.

And someone to explain how upgrades interact with a unit would be awesome too, one of the major things I keep trying to screw around with.

And thanks, I was wondering who they were. Good to see each theater of war has a decent amount of faction and provinces to make it interesting. You go from Microcosm to Macrocosm pretty seamlessly in such a way. And I will just have to use Ghana to conquer the world