Thread: Getting VanillaMod to work

Default Getting VanillaMod to work

Hi FH. I tried everything you said in your sticky about getting VM to work but it dident how id thought. When I started the game using the bat file the game started fine but no intro movie which i thought was weired and the menu background wasent the troops walking it looked like a unit of hussars but that was a still pic. Is this normal? Dident think much about as it dident really matter but when i went to start a campaign nothing had changed.

I then uninstalled/reinstalled and extracted the files straight into the M2TW directory and everything worked fine intro movie menu background and all.

So really theres no prob at the min as after completing my first campaign i doubt il play this game again without VM but when the update is ready will i have to uninstall/reinstall?

Sorry for the long post but im useless with anything to do with files and modding and stuff.

By the way im not using any other mods its just vanilla fully patched. I have kingdoms but after uninstalling i dident reinstall just got the patchs off it.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: Getting VanillaMod to work

Hiya,

Not 100% sure what you mean.

So, after you experienced problems, you uninstalled M2TW, deleted your entire M2TW folder, reinstalled M2TW, installed patch 1.3 and then got VM0.93 and the emergency fix? (that's how it should go, if you wanted to completely reinstall, which you don't normally need to do)
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 08-29-2008 at 02:52.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Yes thats exactly what i did. I couldent get it to work in its own folder tho??

That's odd. Have you tried having a look at the other player threads and the how to get VM running thread?

Screenshots help too
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Sorry if this is making no sense. What iv done is put your files straight into the M2TW directory and over written everything it asked and it works fine. What I fear is the only way to uninstall your mod would be to uninstall the whole game. Thats not a problem at the min as im happy with it the way it is but when the time comes to install your update will I have to unistall/reinstall the game then install your mod or could i just extract the files of the update into my drectory and it will over wright the files its self and work fine?

Overwriting works just fine. If you got Vista, make sure the files are being overwritten though and not staying there hidden.

Ok thanks for the help.

hey guys,
    this is how i got VM mod to work in its own folder.
    (or it seems to work anyway 'coz the game's a bit more VM than normal.
    it'd be best if this can be confirmed by FactionHeir, though.)

1. copy all VanillaMod files in a folder, e.g.: call that folder VanillaMod.
    2. copy your medieval2.preference.cfg file from M2TW's main folder into the VanillaMod folder.
    3. now in the VanillaMod folder...
    4. rename medieval2.preference.cfg to VanillaMod.cfg so that you don't have to edit VanillaMod.bat.
    5. add these lines to the new VanillaMod.cfg:
    Code:
    [features]
    mod = VanillaMod
    6. try it out

now, uninstalling VM mod so that you can play other mods is just a matter of deleting the folder.

is this correct FactionHeir?

Cheers!
    -kuertee

Almost

Create a folder in your main M2TW folder called "VanillaMod".
    Copy all files from the archive in there.
    The VanillaMod.cfg should after modification be moved back to your main M2TW folder (as your medieval2.exe file is there)
    Execute the bat file from the main folder (you can also create a shortcut to the bat and put it on your desktop)

Having trouble starting the mod on my new PC (Vista, M2TW v. 1.0) ...

I believe I did the instructions, but when I try start VM:
    1) click batch file
    2) pressed "Run" in 'Open File - Security warning' window
    2)The small black window appears, normal (the ...system32/cmd...)
    3)Screen turns black, but then returns to desktop (encountered unspecified error and will now exit)
    tried deleting all files in VanillaMod then retrying everything

I believe others were able to make it work for Vista*sigh*

A. Download VanillaMod (currently 0.93)
    B. Download the hotfix (0.93b, which also includes 0.93a so you don't need to download that)
    C. In the directory where your MIITW is located, create a new folder called VanillaMod
    D. Unzip the download of VanillaMod, sending the files to that new folder you just created rather than whatever default your unzipping program uses.
    E. Unzip the download of the hotfix into that new folder, saying "Yes" to overwrite existing files.
    <all check>

1. Find your medieval2.preferences.cfg, which should be in the main MIITW file <check>
    2. Make a copy of the file in another folder, such as the VanillaMod folder you just made <check, I ignored the VanillaMod.cfg that was extracted from the zip folder>
    3. Rename the copy VanillaMod.cfg <check>
    4. Open VanillaMod.cfg in NotePad <check, I assume this is the one in #3>
    5. Add the following to the top of the file:
    [features]
    mod=VanillaMod <check>
    6. Save the file and close it <check>
    7. Move the file back to where you copied it out from <check, cut and paste to main M2TW folder>
    8. Run the mod using VanillaMod.bat (has to be in the same folder as VanillaMod.cfg) that is included in the archive <check, copied the batch file from w/in the VanillaMod folder to the main M2TW folder>
    9. Alternatively you can make a shortcut to VanillaMod.bat (which should be in the same folder as VanillaMod.cfg) and then place the shortcut (not the bat file) on your desktop for easy access
    Last edited by glyphz; 09-26-2008 at 07:56.

GAMEROOM
    Come & Play

VINLAND SAGA

Vista, huh?
    Afaik the most likely cause is that either the cfg or any of the "overwritten" files contained in the fix are still hidden somewhere and read preferentially, thus causing the problem.
    Do all that with an admin account and show all hidden and system files and clear backups and whatnot.