Thread: Vanilla textures, new names, greek UI for romans, new faction names.

Default Vanilla textures, new names, greek UI for romans, new faction names.

I've compiled all my recent changes to Europa Barbarorum into a single file that contains the following:

- Vanilla strategy map textures.

- Vanilla strategy map models.

- Greek UI for the Romans.

- Less trees on the battlefield.

- New names for every faction, Makedonia renamed to Kingdom of Macedonia, Aedui renamed to Tribes of Northern Gaul etc.

- New traits, but not just any traits. I have completely removed every mention of Gens Sergia, Gens Papiria and Gens Atilia, and in their place is now 1. The Prominent Families, 2. The Lesser Families, and 3. The Families of the New Men. Due to my lack of latin knowledge I was not able to name these new "gens" something more proper.
    Anyhow, what these do is that there will now no longer be characters named, as an example, Sergius Orata.
    The only names kept are Atilivs Regvlvs, Papirivs Carbo.
    Instead of fx Papirivs Mvgillanvs (I always hated that name) you will now see a character named Livivs Salinator (which I always thought was a really cool name).

The Prominent Families contains the new names: Livivs Drvsvs, Domitivs Calvinvs, Lvtativs Catvlvs, Atilivs Regvlvs.

The Lesser Families contains the new names: Manlivs Torqvatvs, Qvinctivs Flaminivs, Antonivs, Domitivs Ahenobarbvs, Livivs Salinator, Papirivs Carbo.

The Families of New Men contains the new names: Marivs, Porcivs Cato, Pompeivs, Mvmmivs, Tvllivs Cicero.

- I also changed some of the faction colours.

This is NOT save game compatible.

Note: If you're playing with the RTW exe, you have to rename the "barbarian_invasion" folder in EB\Data\world\maps\campaign to "imperial_campaign"

Download Link: http://files.filefront.com/EB+Vanill.../fileinfo.html
    Last edited by Cozur; 08-31-2008 at 16:03.

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Default Re: Vanilla textures, new names, greek UI for romans, new faction names.

not meaning to be rude here...but what's the point of vanilla-lizing EB when the team did everything they can to get rid of the vanilla taste? =/

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Default Re: Vanilla textures, new names, greek UI for romans, new faction names.

Quote Originally Posted by satalexton View Post
    but what's the point of vanilla-lizing EB when the team did everything they can to get rid of the vanilla taste? =/

Besides the fact that the taste shared by the EB team members is not necessarily the one I have?

the only change i can see being useful is the 'less trees on battlefield' one. all the rest, i'm sorry to say, virtually guarantee very few downloads...sorry

how did your choice of changes improve EB for you?
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Less trees on the battlefield = good. Very good, even.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

how can you reduce the number of threes??
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    the only change i can see being useful is the 'less trees on battlefield' one. all the rest, i'm sorry to say, virtually guarantee very few downloads...sorry
    Well, even 1 download and my job is done:)
    Besides, it's possible to download this and install only, lets say, the less trees part, which appears to be sought after.

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    how did your choice of changes improve EB for you?
    Been playing EB since the first beta, and haven't really played anything since, except for a little ExRM, and going back and forth between those two, I realised that the strat map in EB didn't look like something from antiquity, but something from the dark ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozur View Post
    I realised that the strat map in EB didn't look like something from antiquity, but something from the dark ages.
    What do you mean by that?

And your new names... well, just *sigh*

PS : It's realistic to have so many trees on the battle field. The whole of Europe, apart from mountain regions, the coastal areas and areas around big cities, was one big forest after all in the EB time line.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 09-01-2008 at 11:50.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    PS : It's realistic to have so many trees on the battle field. The whole of Europe, apart from mountain regions, the coastal areas and areas around big cities, was one big forest after all in the EB time line.

No, it's not realistic to have that many trees on a BATTLEFIELD

Was the battlefields of Cannae, Pydna, Raphia, Ilipa, Magnesia, Zama, Arausio, Aque Sextiae etc, all covered in trees?

And your new names... well, just *sigh*.
    Why are the new names *sigh*?
    Last edited by Cozur; 09-01-2008 at 12:02.

Where the battlefields in the dark ages covered with trees?

Not all wars where fought in such battles, there also were much guerrilla battles going on in difficult terrain.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Where the battlefields in the dark ages covered with trees?

Not all wars where fought in such battles, there also were much guerrilla battles going on in difficult terrain.

You're not making any sense now, guerilla battles was not two armies clashing, it was raids and ambushes.

And what does a battlefield with less trees have to do with the dark ages?

which files are for the reduced trees?
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

the "descr_vegetation"

Excellent, I will be using the new trees then! Thanks!

As for the other names and stuff, its personally not my thing, but other people may find it a little to overwhelming with all the new stuff in EB and prefer something more in the middle of vanilla and EB, so give the guy a break!

I'll try the threes too.. ots not fun to have as many as now... <.<

but about the other changes... emm... In my opnion it's like having caviar with ketchup >.>

I dont use EB's skins either though but I certainly don't prefer the vanilla ones... or... I dont know... I don't even remember vanilla
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

Barely a levy Member overweightninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelord View Post
    Excellent, I will be using the new trees then! Thanks!

As for the other names and stuff, its personally not my thing, but other people may find it a little to overwhelming with all the new stuff in EB and prefer something more in the middle of vanilla and EB, so give the guy a break!
    Seconded, the vanilla options aren't for me but finally someone has taken care of the crazy forests!
    Many thanks, by the way will this prevent plain tiles on the campaign map coming up as massive areas of woodland in the battlemap, or simply reduce the frequency of the trees in those areas?
    Either way nice work will give it a try, cheers!

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I wanna see you work, but filefront don't have servers for latin america, so if you upload your file in another file host, it would be really great. Sorry for my english.

I have a suggestion for a mini-mod. I know a lot of people who doesn`t like the textures of the strategic map because it makes older computers very lag. So if yo upload only a mod who modify this only problem and return only the vanilla textures of the estrategic map.
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by CarolvsAntonivs View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I wanna see you work, but filefront don't have servers for latin america, so if you upload your file in another file host, it would be really great. Sorry for my english.

I have a suggestion for a mini-mod. I know a lot of people who doesn`t like the textures of the strategic map because it makes older computers very lag. So if yo upload only a mod who modify this only problem and return only the vanilla textures of the estrategic map.
    Thx
    at CarolvsAntonvs
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    um??? vivo en latino america y... no e tenido problemas con filefront...

y del mod que dices... quisa sea por el mar... la animacion habia por ahi un archivo descargable que revertia al mar original, no recuerdo bien donde la vi... sabes conoces a "bovi" es un miembro del EB team , esta en el foro de bugs comunmente... bueno, el caso es que en uno de sus links en su signature viene algo para mejorar el rendimiento de EB en computadoras lentas (como la mia <.<)

y x cierto de q parte de latinoamerica eres?

and now a pesky advertisement from my part
    you can also try the RS textures, to use em clic on the first link in my signature then look for "RS textures"
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3|| View Post
    at CarolvsAntonvs
    um??? vivo en latino america y... no e tenido problemas con filefront...

y del mod que dices... quisa sea por el mar... la animacion habia por ahi un archivo descargable que revertia al mar original, no recuerdo bien donde la vi... sabes conoces a "bovi" es un miembro del EB team , esta en el foro de bugs comunmente... bueno, el caso es que en uno de sus links en su signature viene algo para mejorar el rendimiento de EB en computadoras lentas (como la mia <.<)

y x cierto de q parte de latinoamerica eres?

and now a pesky advertisement from my part
    you can also try the RS textures, to use em clic on the first link in my signature then look for "RS textures"
    Hi, i've been using the RS textures that i found in your EB mini mods 1.1 post. Very thanks for your work!!!

Hola, soy del Perú uno de los recientes fans de TW que nacemos por estos lares jejejeje al menos soy el unico en la universidad. Bueno siempre que le doy a filefront, me sale que no hay servers, ademas en foros de argentina y otros paises sudamericanos, se quejan del mismo problema. Que bueno conocer un latino en esta comunidad. Si deseas mandame un PM!!!. Voy a revisar el post que me recomiendas. Bueno me despido no sin antes agradecer tu trabajo y el tiempito que le dedicas a esta comunidad.

balloons 4 everyone

I realised that the strat map in EB didn't look like something from antiquity,
    What do you mean, exactly?
    This space intentionally left blank.

at CarolvsAntonvs

y del mod que dices... quisa sea por el mar... la animacion habia por ahi un archivo descargable que revertia al mar original
    For clarification, he is saying here that the guy's problems might stem from the sea animation with the scrolling clouds. I thought the EB team assured us that would have no performance issues, though.

Y para que tu puedes entenderme tambien, he dicho que la animacion del mar nueva no debe tener problemas con lag.

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    For clarification, he is saying here that the guy's problems might stem from the sea animation with the scrolling clouds. I thought the EB team assured us that would have no performance issues, though.

Y para que tu puedes entenderme tambien, he dicho que la animacion del mar nueva no debe tener problemas con lag.
    despite what they say I sense more lag when using the new textures though...

I could barely navigate through the campaign map , but when I switched back to the originals I can even use shadows :P

weird...
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

EB Concept Artist Member fenix3279's Avatar

I'll try the threes too.. ots not fun to have as many as now... <.<

but about the other changes... emm... In my opnion it's like having caviar with ketchup >.>

I dont use EB's skins either though but I certainly don't prefer the vanilla ones... or... I dont know... I don't even remember vanilla
    You don't use the unit skins from EB?
    If you don't mind me asking, who's are you using then?
    My balloon collection

That which does not kill me makes me stronger ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

When you smoke the herb, it reveals to yourself ~ Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by fenix3279 View Post
    You don't use the unit skins from EB?
    If you don't mind me asking, who's are you using then?
    i was refering to the strat map textures
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

ahh RS's stratmap....it looks curiously like the one from m2tw...

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Gin Tonic Drinker Member iberus_generalis's Avatar
    Scallabis (mordern Santarém)- Lusitania(modern Portugal)

Quote Originally Posted by Cozur View Post
    No, it's not realistic to have that many trees on a BATTLEFIELD

Was the battlefields of Cannae, Pydna, Raphia, Ilipa, Magnesia, Zama, Arausio, Aque Sextiae etc, all covered in trees?

Why are the new names *sigh*?
    I hate to gate crash people's parties, but..... europe Was indeed full of big virgin forested areas, just like Ashenvale and Strangletorn Vale if you know what im talking about. im 100% youll understand.

Is fundamentaly flawed mate, because back in the day, and even to till the XIXth century, picking your rout, and the picking of the most suitable place was done by generals, thus, battles would seldom take place in forested areas. However that doesnt mean that there were not huge portions of forests around europe. I remember reading something about Caesar having to cut is way through Oak forests, to avoid being ambushed by gauls. Clever of him, avoided ambushes on his legions, and made the gauls cry for mercy, to see their sacred trees and forests being cut down.

Personally i believe EB has too few trees and forests in it. Thats why i altered my EB to have far more trees, with bigger canopies, and denser vegetation, so as to make my life harder on forests, as well as much more imersion. Where the romans and armies relying on formations shun forests, barbarian factions seem to thrive in them. I sure love to use my Gauls to fight in forests!
    I have a small screen of how my forests look:

Its true that historically most battles were in prairies and plains, but not all. Forests were put into the game by CA, to be both an obstacle, a nuisance, and an excellent strategic element. I know many players never even tried to learn how to use them for advantage, damn some even refuse to fight in wooded terrain. Personally i dont mind it, i've developed a thing for commanding Romans on wooded areas, its rather fun really. Phalanx warfare gets kind-a hard, often having to break the phalanx and engage in melee combat, but lets not forget that its more realistic that way.

Also you can mimic Ancient Generals and stay away from dense wooded areas, and travel by road where the woods are less dense, or you can focus your path of conquest to the open terrain factions, there a lot of them...The Gray Death, the Orange Death, The Yellow Death, the Purple Death..the list goes on. Who said that you have to conquer all provinces?=P

Removed off-topic and potentially offensive material. Don't post about WoW in these forums.- Foot
    Last edited by Foot; 09-09-2008 at 22:09.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it"Gaius Julius Caesar

I think there are too many trees in EB's "steppes" of Asia. A steppe is supposed to be devoid of trees, or so I thought.

I'll give "less trees" a try.
    Last edited by Tollheit; 09-09-2008 at 10:51.

That tree feature doesn't seem to work for me.

Just cut it out guys, this is an EB forum, not a WoW chathouse. You're going off topic anyways... =/

Anyone care to point out how to get the less_trees working?