Poll: Which would you support?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Federal Election

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Canadian Federal Election

Please vote in the poll only if you know what the parties are up to, and not because of an idealogical slant. You can read more about the parties here. The ones currently represented in the House of Commons are really the only parties with a chance of continuing to get seats, and the Conservatives and the Liberals are more or less the only parties with a chance of winning the election, though a minority government is possible.

Canadian Election Called For October 14th

The Globe and Mail

I would vote for the Conservative Party, personally. I think they're doing the right thing by keeping Canadian troops in Afghanistan and helping the Canadian military (which desperately needed money and supplies), they passed the Federal Accountability Act, support reform of the Senate (which will make it more democratic), and are trying to keep good relations with America (rather than the anti-American attitude propagated by Liberals to get votes) as well as having lowered the GST (a tax every Canadian pays on a regular basis - you pay it more or less every time you buy something from a store - which Harper cut from 7% to 5%). With all this done in only two years, and with a minority in the House, I think they've done a good job.

Polling indicates that most Canadians seem to favour the Conservatives.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 09-07-2008 at 18:54.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Canadian Federal Election

I've read about the parties and I find the NDP to be the best party in Canada.
    Last edited by CountArach; 09-07-2008 at 22:58.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I've read about the parties and I find the Liberal Party to be the best party for Canada.

And their American neighbors. :)
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    I've read about the parties and I find the Liberal Party to be the best party for Canada.
    I disagree, as the Conservatives have done a pretty good job so far, but I digress...

And their American neighbors. :)
    Not a chance about this part. The Liberal Party basically, historically and now, tries to stick it to the Americans whenever they can in favour of "Canadian independence/sovereignty" (which is basically just raw nationalism) instead of working with America - which, interestingly, would probably do a heck of a lot more for Canadian sovereignty. If the Liberals or NDP get into power, there are good odds that America will have to do a heck of a lot more work in Afghanistan.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 09-07-2008 at 23:09.

I'll be voting for the NDP. Like always. I am not a swing voter. Also I don't trust the Conservatives. Harper is a dork who has no clue how to deal with the press. And his caucus is full of whacko blue Tory right wingers. Now Harper has done a fair job of keeping these guys under wraps for 4 years now. But with a majority he might not feel the need to keep these people under control.

Now Maniac there is something you should know about Canadian politics. The best governments we have are minority governmets. They get the most done legislatively. Their accountability is better. And leadership from them is better too. Their lack of a majority of seats means they have to work better and the threat of being voted out means the cabinet has more reason to do a good job. The best possible results from this election would be another minority IMO.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

I don't know much about Canadian politics, but it must be nice to vote for more than 2 parties.

The ones Maniac listed were the ones with seats in Parliment. There are over a dozen ones that are officially registered that don't have seats, like the Communits parties (that's right two), and other reguional/special intrest parties.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    The ones Maniac listed were the ones with seats in Parliment. There are over a dozen ones that are officially registered that don't have seats, like the Communits parties (that's right two), and other reguional/special intrest parties.
    Yes. I only listed the ones who can realistically win seats in the House of Commons.

Now Maniac there is something you should know about Canadian politics.
    Lived in Canada for a long time without being Canadian. Gives you a wonderfully uncluttered perspective on things like America and Canadian nationalism.

I generally agree with the point you've made, but the current government I think can be trusted with a majority.

I'm not ready to trust Harper with a majority. I don't know if I'd trust Layton (NDP leader) or Dion (Liberal leader) with one either to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    Lived in Canada for a long time without being Canadian. Gives you a wonderfully uncluttered perspective on things like America and Canadian nationalism.
    I'm not so blind that I can't see how our nationalism works. Quite subtle mostly, it can creep in where you least expect it. Especailly when it comes to dealing with the US. Want to see a Canadians nationalism? Talk to then about the US.
    Last edited by lars573; 09-08-2008 at 00:34.

I'm not ready to trust Harper with a majority. I don't know if I'd trust Layton (NDP leader) or Dion (Liberal leader) with one either to be honest.
    I certainly wouldn't trust Dion with one, and Layton doesn't seem to have a chance at forming a government any time in the near future. The thing that really gets to me about minority governments are when Grand Coalitions occur, like with the SPD and CDU in Germany.

I'm not so blind that I can't see how our nationalism works. Quite subtle mostly, it can creep in where you least expect it. Especailly when it comes to dealing with the US. Want to see a Canadians nationalism? Talk to then about the US.
    It depends where you are, I suppose. In rural Ontario, where I spend/spent most of my time in Canada, the populace seems to be a little more reasonable when it comes to America. The problem I see is that most Canadians will not admit how much they really need America, or recognize this but hate America anyways. It doesn't help that the Canadian media and the Liberal Party like to blame things on America whenever they can. Some countries can safely be nationalist, and some countries need nationalism. Canada needs nationalism (Quebec), but it also needs to know where to limit it (America).
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 09-08-2008 at 00:49.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Arrow Re: Canadian Federal Election

What's Canada?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishFish View Post
    What's Canada?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada
    Canada (IPA: /ˈkænədə/) is a country occupying most of northern North America, extending from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west and northward into the Arctic Ocean. It is the world's second largest country by total area,[2] and shares land borders with the United States to the south and northwest.

Whoever voted for the Bloc had better own up, because you're scaring me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    I certainly wouldn't trust Dion with one, and Layton doesn't seem to have a chance at forming a government any time in the near future. The thing that really gets to me about minority governments are when Grand Coalitions occur, like with the SPD and CDU in Germany.
    Dion seems to have this carbon tax his ticket. For no other reason than peer pressure. I kid you not. A pro-liberal opinion piece I read a few weeks back said we should have a carbon tax "cause everyone else is doing it." Honestly I vote for the NDP not only cause they fit my views mostly, but like this that permiates the big two.

And yes recent politics isn't the home of coalitions. They did exist in the 60's. The Liberals and NDP formed one.

It depends where you are, I suppose. In rural Ontario, where I spend/spent most of my time in Canada, the populace seems to be a little more reasonable when it comes to America. The problem I see is that most Canadians will not admit how much they really need America, or recognize this but hate America anyways. It doesn't help that the Canadian media and the Liberal Party like to blame things on America whenever they can. Some countries can safely be nationalist, and some countries need nationalism. Canada needs nationalism (Quebec), but it also needs to know where to limit it (America).
    Well a lot of the anger and angst is because we are so economically dependant on the US. That anything good or bad that happens there effects us (and Mexico) before most everyone else.
    Last edited by lars573; 09-08-2008 at 04:23.

San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

FREE QUEBEC
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well a lot of the anger and angst is because we are so economically dependant on the US. That anything good or bad that happens there effects us (and Mexico) before most everyone else.
    And obviously the answer to that is to have your lawmakers through little tantrums in parliament.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    And obviously the answer to that is to have your lawmakers through little tantrums in parliament.

CR
    C'mon CR, every nation's lawmakers throw tantrums about countries they are economically dependent on. Take Iraq, for example.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Blog Entries

No, I mean, literally, like a child throws a tantrum.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Okay. I mean, that's a tantrum? Where's parliament? Looks to me like a sad MP trying to be funny on a comedy news show.

Now, this is a tantrum in the legislature. And just to show we live in a newly bipolar world where the Russians are just as good as anyone else, I present the Top Banana in finest debating style.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Boy, ain't that the truth. Where I live in Western New York we are cheek to jowl with our Canadian neighbors. Our local economic interests are especially co-dependant. Unfortunately our governments can't seem to agree on the details for an inspection plaza site for a new bridge that will connect our two countries. This is a major travel corridor and this foot dragging has been going on for over 10 years now. Here's hoping that whatever political party wins the election; both countries can set aside nationalistic positions that are impeding progress on this economic travel corridor that both of us depend on.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post

Okay. I mean, that's a tantrum? Where's parliament? Looks to me like a sad MP trying to be funny on a comedy news show.

Now, this is a tantrum in the legislature. And just to show we live in a newly bipolar world where the Russians are just as good as anyone else, I present the Top Banana in finest debating style.

Well, it was intended to be a review of all her outbursts against America as well.

EDIT: And besides, your examples aren't tantrums, they're simply more direct ways of solving your differences.

CR
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 09-08-2008 at 14:31.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

CR
    Ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit

CR
    She's not that bad. I've heard much worse from people on the street, and my own mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito
    Boy, ain't that the truth. Where I live in Western New York we are cheek to jowl with our Canadian neighbors. Our local economic interests are especially co-dependant. Unfortunately our governments can't seem to agree on the details for an inspection plaza site for a new bridge that will connect our two countries. This is a major travel corridor and this foot dragging has been going on for over 10 years now. Here's hoping that whatever political party wins the election; both countries can set aside nationalistic positions that are impeding progress on this economic travel corridor that both of us depend on.
    Yep, nationalism makes everything fun!! But that's a local issue in Ontario/New York. Here it's about the fishing grounds. Which are still very important to Nova Scotia's economy.

Howard takes Defence seriously, and as a major part of the anglosphere i want them to take Defence seriously.

She's not that bad. I've heard much worse from people on the street, and my own mother.
    She should know better than to say " Americans, I hate the ," especially in the presence of microphones and in a public place.

I think we need to closely examine the situation, give every party it's right to debate, and then,

FREE QUEBEC
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

FREE QUEBEC
    Please tell me you're not serious. I need the reassurance.

Please tell me you're not serious. I need the reassurance.
    Why do you hate freedom?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Why do you hate freedom?
    Oh, good. You had me there for a second.

Oh, good. You had me there for a second.
    I think Quebec has every right to break away from Canada. It's primarily French speaking, has been doing this for a while. Why don't we just give these French Canadians some freedom?
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

I think Quebec has every right to break away from Canada. It's primarily French speaking, has been doing this for a while. Why don't we just give these French Canadians some freedom?
    Lester B. Pearson said it best. Canadians do not need to be liberated.

Quebec may be primarily French speaking, but it has not only a significant English minority, but no reason to break away from Canada. In addition to this, Quebecois have been given referenda in the past on the issue, and each time have rejected it. Quebecois culture is protected by federal law to an almost dictatorial level when it comes to the English and English-speaking Quebecois living in Quebec. Quebec has as much reason to seperate from Canada as Bavaria does from Germany. None.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast