Thread: Can I install several mods and the expansions together?

Default Can I install several mods and the expansions together?

Hello! I am pretty new to Rome Total War, I have been playing for a couple weeks to the original RTW. I have also have BI and Alexander, which I haven't installed yet.
    I would like to know if it is possible to install several mods and the expansions all at the same time and choose whatever game I want to play; I was thinking of EB, RTR and RS alltogether with vanilla RTW and it's two expansions.
    Tried to look that up but it didn't really got me anywhere; something abount the mods having, or not, a separate folder, but no clear answer. I also suppose that I could just copy the entire game folder to install a new mod, but that would take an excessive amount of space, so I'd rather not do that.

Thanks!

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Default Re: Can I install several mods and the expansions together?

If the mod is fully modfoldered then yes they will not overwrite your original game files or interfere with other fully modfoldered mods.

Here's the table for mods. Totally green folders indicate fully modfoldered mods.

http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Released_Mods
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

I don't recommend you to install anything into your original RTW folder. You better do this way. Say, you're about to install Ogniem i Mieczem TW. If you install it right into your original RTW folder, OiM will overright the original files, some textures etc. That's not desired.

So you should do this way: create a new folder and call it like "RTW OiM". Then copy everything what you have in your original folder into this new one. And then install Ogniem i Mieczem into this "RTW OiM". It works okay, althoug requires many space on your hard disc. I personally install and try mods in this very way.

Thanks!, but what about the version compatibility?
    For example, EB says it is for RTW 1.5, but the Fourth Age needs BI 1.6; and LOTR: Total War needs Alexander.
    If I install all expansions, BI and Alexander, will EB and the Fourth Age work too?

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Yes, they will work because they all use the latest (and final) version for each.

Most good mods will be for the final versions, and most good mods will be fully modfoldered.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Thanks a lot! You've saved me hours of trying. Will be installing everything once I finish the vanilla campaign.

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

FYI, LOTR-TW uses full mod folder, meaning it doesn't change any file in RTW or Alexander. The only thing optionally changed are the opening movies (which are not changed on default installation), which will be rectified in the upcoming version. So your RTW and expansions will not be altered by LOTR-TW at all.