View Poll Results: As Americans how much pride do you take in your ethnic background?

Voters
33. This poll is closed
  • I'm merely here to exploit resources and women

4 12.12%
  • Its ok here but I still like ------- better!

1 3.03%
  • I strike a wonderful balance

7 21.21%
  • While having some pride of where I come from I am an American

13 39.39%
  • Im an American because this is America because Im an American

6 18.18%
  • Meh Elitism

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On America and ethnic ancestry

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default On America and ethnic ancestry

As Americans how much pride do you take in your ethnic background?

I am generally interested to find out how much Americans associate with the "old country" I think it will vary depending on where you are I know a faced a culture shock just moving from San Antonio to Lubbock. On the one San Antonio's culture was much more varied wether it be Mexican German or Czech all these people took allot of pride in where they came from even if it was hundreds of years ago. At times it was tiresome and I bemoaned at the pig headedness of these people and they way they held on to traditions rather than become American. I thought as a country thats given them so much a country which my family has been a part of for over 400 years one that they helped build (rather literally) why couldn't they just drop it. Then I moved here and its really all kind of white bread. The food isn't as good or varied, there is really ethnic flavor and I'm finding it all kind of boring (the city not uni) I'm not saying you cant do both merely posing a question.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Default Re: On America and ethnic ancestry

I take quite a bit of pride in mine, but I'm also not an American.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    As Americans how much pride do you take in your ethnic background?

I am generally interested to find out how much Americans associate with the "old country" I think it will vary depending on where you are I know a faced a culture shock just moving from San Antonio to Lubbock. On the one San Antonio's culture was much more varied wether it be Mexican German or Czech all these people took allot of pride in where they came from even if it was hundreds of years ago. At times it was tiresome and I bemoaned at the pig headedness of these people and they way they held on to traditions rather than become American. I thought as a country thats given them so much a country which my family has been a part of for over 400 years one that they helped build (rather literally) why couldn't they just drop it. Then I moved here and its really all kind of white bread. The food isn't as good or varied, there is really ethnic flavor and I'm finding it all kind of boring (the city not uni) I'm not saying you cant do both merely posing a question.
    My family is predominately Irish Catholic from co. Mayo and co. Moneghan. I've played the bag-pipes and gone to hibernian meetings in my youth, but as I've grown up I realize that the Irish I'm proud of are the ones that are in America. Visiting Ireland numerous times I am consistently disappointed as I never see the type of Irish or the ideals that I've been raised to cherish in my friends and family. The Irish in the U.S. are proud of their heritage, where the Irish I meet in Ireland wish they were someone else (English, French or American). Generalizations of course, but I have made the break and celebrate hiberno-american heritage over Irish heritage. I realize that my childish idolization of the Irish culture was immature, but it still hurt when it was inevitably crushed. I curse them for their ordinary humanity when they should be superhuman.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 09-19-2008 at 01:35.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I like being American, but I also enjoy associating and such with my Celtic culture.

I think I strike a good balance of playing bagpipes and rugby without wearing woad every St. Andrews day.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kinda hard to be proud of "my ancestry", when it includes German, English, Italian, French, and a little bit of Danish...

I know the German's got top precedence, but its maybe 50% at most. So, sir, I frankly don't give a damn.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Half my family was falsely accused of killing someone's god by a bunch of dumbass fanatics and thus has been subject to random genocides over the past one and a half thousand years.

The other half are drunken psychopathic savages who ended up selling out to the Man when they came over to America.

I think I'll just stick to being American.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Portugal, England, Sweden and Scotland can all go jump in a lake. I'm simply American and I've come to terms with that. I do hold a regard and interest in my family's genealogy and the different cultural influences that ended up making me me, but not along any national lines.
    Last edited by Proletariat; 09-19-2008 at 03:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Half my family was falsely accused of killing someone's god by a bunch of dumbass fanatics and thus has been subject to random genocides over the past one and a half thousand years.

The other half are drunken psychopathic savages who ended up selling out to the Man when they came over to America.
    So you're half Jewish and half Irish?

I take quite a bit of pride in my Polish ancestry. My family tries to keep traditions alive, especially around the holidays.

......now excuse me I have to finish making my Polish sausage and Perogies.
    What, you never seen a Polock in Viking Armor on a Camel?

Blog Entries

I do take some small inkling of pride in my Anglo-Saxon heritage. I've always considered myself an American first and foremost, to do anything else shows a great amount of fool-hardiness because the rest of the world will always see me as nothing else but what I am. I do hold legal citizenship to the UK by birth (mom's from Liverpool), but I've only been twice, and I've no intention to live there unless things were to get out of control here.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    So you're half Jewish and half Irish?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Yep.

Good Morning America how are ya? Don't ya know me I'm your native son.

I'm part Native American. My first Anglo-Saxon ancestors came to America in 1607. 3/4 of my grandparents are part of families that were here before the American revolution.

The Native part is from the woman Pocahontas (you may have heard of her). She married John Rolfe who blended tobacco from the Caribbean with Virginian tobacco, creating the first commodity that North America could export. Their son Thomas was born in England, the first Native American born in the old world. The Jamestown folk didn't want Thomas the half-breed to marry a good English girl. He did anyway, but left Jamestown to found a new colony in what is now Winston-Salem, North Carolina. His great granddaughter Mary married Sterling Clack a colonel in George Washington's army. They lost their property in the war and moved to Kentucky.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Where's the "I'm not American and I am very thankful for that" option?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    But that doesn't make any sense

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    lawlz

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I'm half dutch and half german, consider myself a german and will consider myself an american if I ever move there(at least once I am somewhat accustomed). My home is what I choose to be my home, if those arrogant, selfish "natives" let me in that is.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : On America and ethnic ancestry

Non-American by birth, Texan by the grace of God.

~~~~~~~

If an Irish-American couple moves to Ireland, are their children:
    American-Irish?
    Irish-American Irish?
    Irish-Irish?
    Still bloody Yanks regardless?

And if an Italo-American moves to France, is he Italian or American? And his children?

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I'm Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, English, Bohemian and a bit Hungarian so it's kinda hard for me to have too much pride in any one nation, but when I watched the Czech team play during the Euro Cup I was Czech and since I spent a year in Germany I feel a bit German as well. Anyway I like learning about the many countries from which my ancestors came, but really I'm a Vermonter and that's all there is to it. I never considered myself in terms of whether I was American or not until I left the US for a year though. I guess that's because when you're in the US the state you're from or live in matters a whole lot more than whether or not you're American, unless you're an illegal immigrant in the deep South that is...
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Default Re: Re : On America and ethnic ancestry

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Non-American by birth, Texan by the grace of God.

~~~~~~~

American-Irish?
    Irish-American Irish?
    Irish-Irish?

And if an Italo-American moves to France, is he Italian or American? And his children?

My experience has been similar to Uesugi Kenshin's: I didn't really grasp my "american-ness" until I'd left the place.

I've lived in California since October 1988, but I'm still considered a newcomer here. :)
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

100% Norse and 0% American.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    I've lived in California since October 1988, but I'm still considered a newcomer here. :)
    Funny that you mention that, when I am in CA many of the people I meet will make a point of letting me know that they are “Native” Californians. I didn’t realize it was so important for them to differentiate themselves in such a manner until after encountering it a few dozen times.

I am Native American, Irish, Scottish, Austrian, French & Spanish. I look stereotypical Irish but I don’t have a deep connection to any specific piece of my heritage.
    I am an American mutt.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Descendant from the greatest race the world has ever known: Frysians
    Last edited by Kralizec; 09-19-2008 at 19:07.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

About 75% Scottish, 25% Northern Irish, and that's it.

Being good lowland Scots my parents like to think that Highland dancing etc is part of their culture.

My Northern Irish relatives feel of course very British. I got a leaflet entitled "No Surrender" from one of them telling me to visit Derry's Walls along with my birthday card last week.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

As a first generation American of German parents, I take pride in both nations. My parents are definitely "Germans living in America" because there's so much money to be made, but I feel a certain loyalty to the US that they do not.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 09-19-2008 at 20:45.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I'm an American mutt: On my mom's side, I'm mostly Norwegian with a dash of Swedish thrown in. On my dad's side, I'm equal parts English, Irish, Danish, and German.

I largely identify with my Norwegian roots -- my family celebrates Syttende Mai every year (along with much of my state) -- but I also have some appreciation for my Irish and English heritage as well.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

My folks are 2nd generation Irish (mom) and Italian (dad). They really were one of those West Side Story types in the 60's, except that my Dad's family were far from hooligans, they were stonecutters and artisans (except for his dad, who was the lone machinist in the family).

I used to feel a lot of kinship and affinity for Ireland and Italy. Then I started traveling in the mid 90's. And I realized that I have much, much, much more in common with an African American from Chicago then I do with even the local residents in Carigaline, Co. Cork (where a lot of my mom's people were from).

Now, I'm more like Prole. I find Irish and Italian history very interesting, but only as a prelude to the Story of Me. I don't have the same affinity for the modern nations that say Jewish-American folks have for Israel.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    My folks are 2nd generation Irish (mom) and Italian (dad). They really were one of those West Side Story types in the 60's, except that my Dad's family were far from hooligans, they were stonecutters and artisans (except for his dad, who was the lone machinist in the family).
    Where in Italy? My birth-giver was from Salerno. Ill admit at times I do feel an infatuation with Italy much more than my English side simply because of the culture food and women of which England has none of. Not to mention they come over in 1545 not 1981 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    American-Irish?
    Irish-American Irish?
    Irish-Irish?

They're all humans, aren't they?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Yes, we read a small speech from Kant in high-school and I feel totally enlightened and stuff ever since.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm an American who happens to have Irish ancestors.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast