Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cowards with guns

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Cowards with guns

MOUNT OLIVE -- It was just after 7 p.m. Thursday on West Main Street, a typically quiet stretch in Mount Olive.

Sharon Kulers heard her Dalmatian barking outside, so she made her way to the back yard.
    Durham

Photo submitted

Durham, a 2-year-old 45-lb. Labrador retriever.

She saw a Mount Olive Police Department cruiser pull up to the house behind hers.

Then she noticed the shotgun in one of the officer's hands, aimed at her neighbor's 45-pound Labrador retriever.

"I said, 'Please don't shoot that dog. He won't hurt you,'" Mrs. Kulers said.

The officer looked at her, then back at the dog.

A shot rang out -- then, another.

"I said, 'Why did you have to do that? You didn't have to do that,'" Mrs. Kulers said. "He said, 'It showed its teeth.' He said, 'We have a right to do this.'"
    http://www.newsargus.com/news/archiv...t_vicious_dog/

I'm sick and tired of certain police officers who seem to think they can react with deadly force whenever they feel the least bit threatened, and the system that lets them get away with it.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Default Re: Cowards with guns

This is why we don't let them near guns here
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Thumbs up Re : Cowards with guns

[off-topic]
    It was just after 7 p.m. Thursday on West Main Street, a typically quiet stretch in Mount Olive.

Sharon Kulers heard her Dalmatian barking outside, so she made her way to the back yard.
    Those lines read like sheer poetry to me! America is so romantic.

Guns don't kill people, lack of a poetic mind does! In an agonisingly slow, fading away into oblivion kind of way.

Dang it! I need to travel America coast to coast, on foot, and write my Great American novel!
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 09-23-2008 at 21:38.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

I don't get it - the dog [...] even "lunged" at one of them but OTOH the dog was too far away to spray with mace

Am I missing something here?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

These guys have a tiny bit more power then they should have. 'The Police' should be send home anyway they are nothing but dissobedience-tax, private company can do 10 times as much for the same amount of money.

It's a dog...big deal...

Was the dog on a line?
    Was there a fence or anything?

If the dog was running around loosely I could almost understand it, if not then that was pretty wrong and stupid, hard to say from the quoted part.

Louis is right about the poetry, the way the whole thing is described rivals shakespeareian description methods, I'm sure I will dream of Louis this tonight.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Sounds careless to me but I can only assume that the officer made the right call, after all they have been trained and carefully chosen for their role to protect and serve.

Why would a lady that is collecting sticks and pinecones call the police on a playful dog? It doesn’t sound like the dog cornered the stick collector, forcing her to take refuge in a trash can while calling the police to come and save her. That stick collecting troll had something against the dog and knew if she called the dog hating police that they would come and take care of the playful troublemaker once and for all. Durham knocked over her pinecone pile one too many times.

It would have been too hard to walk next door and tell your neighbor to keep the dog out of her yard? Neighbors can suck as much as retarded cops.

Moral of the story:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    invisible fencing works.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

A 45lb Lab? Clearly it was a vicious animal that was so life-threatening that they had no choice but to shoot it.... even though it was too far away to use mace.....

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Dang it! I need to travel America coast to coast, on foot motorcycle, and write my Great American novel!
    Fixed.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 09-23-2008 at 20:55.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Another story of dog-shooting:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...073003299.html
    As the police came in, Calvo said, they shot his 7-year-old black Labrador retriever, Payton, near the front door and then his 4-year-old dog, Chase, also a black Lab, as the dog ran into a back room. Walking through his house yesterday, Calvo pointed out a bullet hole in the drywall where the younger dog had been shot.
    The police concluded in an internal review that they were justified in killing the dogs, of course. Funny how they always seem to find out that they were justified in whatever they did.

A good editorial on the incident.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    This is why we don't let them near guns here

Umm ya.. it was funny on Reno 911, not so much in real life.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Why would anyone shoot a dog, the kindest creatures there are. This is sick happy hunting.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by "Town manager" Charles Brown
    "any time an officer feels threatened, they have the right to respond to that."
    There is something awfully wrong with this mindset

So, who of you told the police that the dogs were allied to the octosquids?
    No wonder they are afraid...

I agree about the minefields, yesdachi.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    A 45lb Lab? Clearly it was a vicious animal that was so life-threatening that they had no choice but to shoot it.... even though it was too far away to use mace.....

Fixed.
    what are they supposed to do?..."wrassle" it and control it? police officers are not expect neither would accept I expect to take those kinds of risks...I know I wouldn´t
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    http://www.newsargus.com/news/archiv...t_vicious_dog/

I'm sick and tired of certain police officers who seem to think they can react with deadly force whenever they feel the least bit threatened, and the system that lets them get away with it.

CR
    a disgrace, i hope the police officer gets officially bollocked.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    what are they supposed to do?..."wrassle" it and control it? police officers are not expect neither would accept I expect to take those kinds of risks...I know I wouldn´t
    Were they actually under threat? I don't think so. If there's a dog actually acting aggressive, charging in what you can realistically assume is an intent to kill, then maybe you're justified in shooting. In this case, the dog posed no threat to anyone.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    So instead they shoot it like a berzerk grizzly. With a 12-gague pump shotgun. And it doesn't occur to anyone to just call animal control, the people actually trained to handle situations like this?

And it's spelled "Rassel."
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 09-23-2008 at 23:17.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post

Umm ya.. it was funny on Reno 911, not so much in real life.
    Works out great here
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

How that policeman brought himself to shoot an innocent dog is beyond me. A cat maybe...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

From someone who loudly supports the right to shoot people if they feel the least bit threatened .

If you have a dog keep it secure in your property , if you fail to act responsibly then don't moan when someone shoots the mutt .
    Simple isn't it .

If the dog was running around loosely I could almost understand it, if not then that was pretty wrong and stupid, hard to say from the quoted part.
    Read the comments from the Dalmatian owner for clarification .

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post

From someone who loudly supports the right to shoot people if they feel the least bit threatened .

If you have a dog keep it secure in your property , if you fail to act responsibly then don't moan when someone shoots the mutt .
    Simple isn't it .
    Let's not even go there. No matter the circumstance, there is still a difference between a potentially dangerous person and a ******* dog.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 09-24-2008 at 05:59. Reason: All letters of obscenity must be asterisked

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Gotta go with Tribes on this one. It was only a dog. Maybe they made the right call, or maybe the dog was actually harmless. But speaking as someone who was put in the hospital after being attacked by a dog (though it was a dalmation that bit me, not a lab), I say, take no chances. An animal's life is not worth anything close to a person's safety.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
    Gotta go with Tribes on this one. It was only a dog. Maybe they made the right call, or maybe the dog was actually harmless.
    An animal's life is nothing compared to a person's safety if the person was actually threatened. You can't just go around shooting animals because they give you a shifty look or two.

No matter the circumstance, there is still a difference between a potentially dangerous person and a ******* dog.
    Yes there is , I would probably think twice before shooting a person .
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 09-24-2008 at 05:59. Reason: Edited quote

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
    Gotta go with Tribes on this one. It was only a dog. Maybe they made the right call, or maybe the dog was actually harmless. But speaking as someone who was put in the hospital after being attacked by a dog (though it was a dalmation that bit me, not a lab), I say, take no chances. An animal's life is not worth anything close to a person's safety.
    So, shoot every dog that looks at you or advances in your direction?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Yes there is , I would probably think twice before shooting a person .
    I wouldn't think twice about shooting a person who was a real danger to my life, but I would think twice before shooting a dog that wasn't.

I wouldn't think twice about shooting a person who was a real danger to my life, but I would think twice before shooting a dog that wasn't.
    And ???? what has that got to do with the price of cheese?
    Try following the line of posts ....
    No matter the circumstance, there is still a difference between a potentially dangerous person and a ******* dog.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 09-24-2008 at 06:00. Reason: Edited quote

And ???? what has that got to do with the price of cheese?
    Try following the line of posts ....
    The dog was obviously not a danger to the life of the person, and therefore should not have been shot.

The dog was obviously not a danger to the life of the person, and therefore should not have been shot.
    A dog doesn't have to be a danger to the life of a person , an uncontroled dog in a public place unattended can be shot , because any uncontrolled dog can be potentialy dangerous .
    Whats up with you people ? havn't you ever shot a dog ?

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Immediately, she thought of her Rottweiler, Bella.

"Because of her breed and her size, I could understand if she got loose and scared someone," Ms. Mangum said.
    Well, apparently her dogs weren't quite restrained enough, add to that a neighbor who called police thinking the dog was aggressive:

Quote Originally Posted by article
    She was in her yard collecting sticks and pinecones when she mistook a playful lunge for one of aggression, she told her neighbor.
    Now I wouldn't expect every police officer to be a dog psychologist so if you want your dogs to be safe, keep them inside when you're not at home or make sure your neighbors do not call the police and tell them your dog is being aggressive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast