Thread: Eerie Cursed Pirate Ship Off Somalia Coast

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Eerie Cursed Pirate Ship Off Somalia Coast

This is a legitimate title for this thread.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

http://informationdissemination.blogspot.com/
    Observing the Story of the MV Iran Deyanat

There is an interesting twist bubbling up to the surface regarding an Iranian ship that was hijacked off the coast of Somalia back in August. The ship in question is the MV Iran Deyanat, a 44468 dead weight tonnage bulk carrier. The Long War Journal has some interesting details

The MV Iran Deyanat is owned and operated by the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL) - a state-owned company run by the Iranian military that was sanctioned by the U.S. Department of the Treasury on September 10, shortly after the ship's hijacking. According to the U.S. Government, the company regularly falsifies shipping documents in order to hide the identity of end users, uses generic terms to describe shipments to avoid the attention of shipping authorities, and employs the use of cover entities to circumvent United Nations sanctions to facilitate weapons proliferation for the Iranian Ministry of Defense.

The MV Iran Deyanat set sail from Nanjing, China, at the end of July and, according to its manifest, planned to travel to Rotterdam, where it would unload 42,500 tons of iron ore and "industrial products" purchased by a German client. Its arrival in the Gulf of Aden, Somali officials tell The Long War Journal, was suspiciously early. According to a publicly available status report on the IRISL Web site, the ship reached the Gulf on August 20 and was scheduled to reach the Suez Canal on August 27 - a seven day journey. "Depending on the speed of the ship," Puntland Minister of Ports Ahmed Siad Nur said in a phone interview on Saturday, "it should take between 4 and 5 days to reach Suez."
    This is a very interesting article, and you should read it all, because this is the context at which point the story begins to get very interesting. Back on September 7th, Reuters ran an article that suggested Puntland authorities were requesting pirates to hand over the ship. At the time, the pirates in Eyl were very busy.
    He said the Iranian ship with 28 crew members including two Russians, two Pakistanis and a Syrian would soon be freed once the $2 million ransom agreed upon was paid.

"The bargaining about the ransom is over and pirates are just waiting for the money," he said.

"Puntland requested the pirates two weeks ago to hand over this Iranian ship, saying that it is carrying weapons to Eritrea. I have seen food and other odd items on the ship but I do not know what is hidden underneath."
    The Puntland officials were alerted shortly after the ship was captured that weapons were onboard. This is an important point, the pirates of Somalia often claim legitimacy by stating their purpose is to prevent the smuggling of weapons into Somalia, just like they often claim legitimacy by suggesting they insure no illegal fishing takes place in Somalian waters. While clearly piracy is not legitimacy, and the pirates of Eyl are a far cry from a Coast Guard, the claims of illegal fishing or weapons on ships have been proven true in the past. Whenever the pirates make these claims, they call in Puntland officials to investigate and put the word out in the media. In this case, something odd is happening in regards to this specific Iranian ship. The Long War Journal continues the story.
    The MV Iran Deyanat was brought to Eyl, a sleepy fishing village in northeastern Somalia, and was secured by a larger gang of pirates - 50 onboard and 50 onshore. Within days, pirates who had boarded the ship developed strange health complications, skin burns and loss of hair. Independent sources tell The Long War Journal that a number of pirates have also died. "Yes, some of them have died. I do not know exactly how many but the information that I am getting is that some of them have died," Andrew Mwangura, Director of the East African Seafarers' Assistance Program, said Friday when reached by phone in Mombasa.

News about the illness and the toxic cargo quickly reached Garowe, seat of the government for the autonomous region of Puntland. Angered over the wave of piracy and suspicious about the Iranian ship, authorities dispatched a delegation led by Minister of Minerals and Oil Hassan Allore Osman to investigate the situation on September 4. Osman also confirmed to The Long War Journal that during the six days he negotiated with the pirates members of the syndicate had become sick and died. "That ship is unusual," he said. "It is not carrying a normal shipment."
    Follow the time line. The ship was hijacked around August 23rd. Before the end of August, several of the pirates who took the ship began suffering from serious sickness, in some cases resulting in death. On September 4th, Puntland government authorities were brought in, and they witnessed some of the deaths due to exposure to something on that ship.

Pirates have stated unable to open the hold without causing extensive damage to the ship, and have threatened to blow it up if anyone tries to inspect the ship. The statements by the captured crew has been inconsistent regarding what is carried on the ship. The $2 million dollar ransom agreement, which was supposedly secured on September 6th, never took place for reasons unknown. After September 10th, when sanctionso on IRISL were applied specifically because the company is said to smuggle for the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, negotiations have all but broken off completely.

Then things get really wierd. Two days later, Iranian press runs a report that the US has offered $7 million for the ship, $5 million more than what the Iranians were offerning. The reason cited by the Iranian press report was so the US could "receive entry permission and search the vessel." According to the Long War Journal story, Puntland officials are convinced the ship is carrying weapons for Eritrea Islamist insurgents.

Clearly this is a strange story, and there is no clear resolution in sight regarding the ship now that Iran seems unable to do anything with the ship now on the sanctions list. Let me add a few details to this story...

The US Navy (and the French) are sitting off the coast of Eyl, and that ship isn't going anywhere once released, it will be siezed once it gets to sea. The specific clauses that have been approved in both the UN and in Congress would allow the US Navy to sieze the ship under the suspecion clause. The claims that there are weapons onboard, and the possibility there might be chemical weapons, will insure there is at minimum an inspection of the ship.

And that should have the US Navy worried a bit. If there are chemical weapons onboard, which is the least likely scenario but the prevailing rumor, what is to stop Iran from sending one of its Kilo class submarines down to put several torpedos into the hull? We know the hostages have been moved off the ship, that is standard operating procedure now thanks to the French, who will perform a rescue operation anyway.

This is a very strange story worth keeping an eye on. It is unlike pirates to say no to a $2 million ransom, which they apparently did. It is very odd to see an Iranian press report that suggests the US is offering $7 million for the ship, but apparently that wasn't denied when questions were asked of US officials by The Long War Journal. This might turn out to be a whole lot of nothing, but when it comes to Somalia, anything can happen.

It is worth noting that Russia announced this week they are sending warships to Somalia. The Russians do not intend to operate with Task Force 150, and could be the force sent to take military action and rescue the Iranians. Of all the naval deployments Russia has made this year, including the Pyotr Veliky deployment to Venezuela and the Admiral Kuznetsov to the Mediterranean Sea, we see this naval deployment by Russia the most noteworthy to date, because it is a true logistics mission.

In the case of the other two naval deployments, Russia was able to make a number of friendly ports to supply vessels, and the ships never spent long periods of time at sea. Not in this case, this will be a major logistical undertaking by the Russian Navy, with the only port option available perhaps, maybe, being Eritrea. It is also very possible Russia could take military action including hostage rescue operations against the pirates, and that would certainly be worth watching.

Others are also looking into sending ships. Norway is planning a deployment next year, and the Indian government is under some domestic pressure, including a potential strike by major mariner unions, if they don't take action against Somalian pirates. The Indian government has not made a decision yet.

With the United States fighting a war in Iraq and a war in Afghanistan, it remains the activities around Somalia that is slowly becoming a major challenge for the US Navy. With a Greek ship hijacked this week, there are at least 10 ships near Eyl under pirate control. That town is litterily a on a hill, one imagines it looks very odd to see 10 ships sitting off the coast. In the meantime, the effect to the global economy based on insurance premiem costs alone remains somewhere around half a million dollars a day.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 09-25-2008 at 20:45. Reason: Language
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Re: Eerie Cursed Pirate Ship Off Somalia Coast

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    This is a legitimate title for this thread.
    I'm on it!

(I have nothing to add, but this story looks like something straight from a Ludlum and it makes me extremely jealous)
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Can't wait for Tom Clancy's Somalia...

Adrian is right, sounds like the opening of a thriller or some cheap delta force action movie.
    I wouldn't be surprised if nothing much happens though.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

This seems like a mission for Solid Snake......come on....one more game......

"METAL GEAR SOLID 5 - Boats of the Patriots"
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

This is probably all evidence US needs to drop some bombs:)

Sure beat whatever evidence they had to invade Iraq...

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

This story is great - mystery, international intrigue, sinister conspiracy, pirates, africa, hostage situations, etc. I'm sure that by clicking one of the many links somebody will find a romantic side - like brokeback somalia - or something.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Could be nothing who says the pirates were not already sick when they got on the boat plus those container ships are so big there could be any amount of natural germs on it even the fumes from the diesel are deadly. Cool story the The Bourne Conumdrum.

Just found this on the RTE news website looks like Jack Sparrow is at it again.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0926/somalia.html
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 09-26-2008 at 12:44. Reason: new point to be made
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

The pirates seized a Ukranian ship that contained Russian tanks and other weapons!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080929/...somalia_piracy

The Russians are definitely going to do something about this.
    Wooooo!!!

Call me racist but I think we should use old good law -every man on every ship or any village suspected of supporting pirates can be destroyed.
    If we catch few and throw to water 100 km from coast - they will never do it again. If we destroyed their homes, they will never do it again.

Anyway situation with Ukrainian ship is ridiculus. Ships with weapon should be better guarded.
    If there were 30 commandos allowed to "test" weapon - pirates would be killed.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 09-29-2008 at 13:06.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Well, that they would send 33 tanks and ammo to travel around the world with a few old seamen sounds a bit weird but then what could those pirates do with them tanks other than sell them?

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quite obviously something dodgy is going on, involving illegal transportation of nuclear materials, by Iran. From China to Rotterdam. Transported by a medieval theocratic Islamic state with nothing but pure hate for the West. To a country with a substantial population of angry Muslims.

Am i the only one feeling very concerned about all this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar View Post
    Quite obviously something dodgy is going on, involving illegal transportation of nuclear materials, by Iran. From China to Rotterdam. Transported by a medieval theocratic Islamic state with nothing but pure hate for the West. To a country with a substantial population of angry Muslims.

Who said something about nuclear material?
    I'd rather think something chemical or biological that's not very healthy but doesn't have to be illegal.

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar View Post

(reliable) Sources, please? Iran transporting nuclear material from China to Rotterdam?
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I don't believe there are any sources. The symptoms of the sick crew (not the tank carrying one, the one in the OP) as reported seem consistent with radiation poisoning. If the pirates opened a hold with nuclear material, they probably weren't prepared (and it's unlikely the freight had the usual radiation warning placards if this is supposed to be a secret shipment) and got a good dose of REMs.

I'm sure there are frogmen in subs right now with geiger counters waiting for the go signal.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by KrooK View Post
    Call me racist but I think we should use old good law -every man on every ship or any village suspected of supporting pirates can be destroyed.
    If we catch few and throw to water 100 km from coast - they will never do it again. If we destroyed their homes, they will never do it again.
    Exhilarating as usual, Krook, replace "pirates" with "Poles" and you have a nice 1941 Nazi statement. And a policy that did not prevent Poles from acting for resistance.
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 09-29-2008 at 19:07.

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I don't believe there are any sources. The symptoms of the sick crew (not the tank carrying one, the one in the OP) as reported seem consistent with radiation poisoning. If the pirates opened a hold with nuclear material, they probably weren't prepared (and it's unlikely the freight had the usual radiation warning placards if this is supposed to be a secret shipment) and got a good dose of REMs.

I'm sure there are frogmen in subs right now with geiger counters waiting for the go signal.
    Doesn't the article say that they couldn't open the cargo bay? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that Iran would transport nuclear material openly in some ship although you're right about the symptoms. It still sounds like something really stupid to transport nuclear material like that.

Question: Were the tanks sold from Russia or Ukraine? I know that the tanks are Russian design.
    Wooooo!!!

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default AW: Eerie Cursed Pirate Ship Off Somalia Coast

Russian made tanks (T-72s), sold by the Ukraine to Kenya, from which they were supposedly destined for southern Sudan(Illegal by virtue of certain arms exportation restrictions).

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Who said something about nuclear material?
    I'd rather think something chemical or biological that's not very healthy but doesn't have to be illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan View Post
    (reliable) Sources, please? Iran transporting nuclear material from China to Rotterdam?
    As someone already pointed out, and as i should have pointed out, these are all symptoms of radiation poisoning. Burned skin, hair loss, 'strange sickness', all onboard an incredibly suspicious ship, owned by a wannabe nuclear power.
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Yes, I know that these are the symptoms (forgot what exactly they had at first) but what made me wonder was this:
    Pirates have stated unable to open the hold without causing extensive damage to the ship
    So did they open it now or not and if they didn't and the radiation comes through the hold anyway then why isn't the iranian crew sick as well?

Exhilarating as usual, Krook, replace "pirates" with "Poles" and you have a nice 1941 Nazi statement. And a policy that did not prevent Poles from acting for resistance.
    Sorry but looks like you do not know history. Members of resistance and common bandits have nothing in common. Criminals should be punished and pirates should be punished as strict as possible.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Quote Originally Posted by KrooK View Post
    Sorry but looks like you do not know history. Members of resistance and common bandits have nothing in common. Criminals should be punished and pirates should be punished as strict as possible.
    Uh really? My grandfather was called a "terrorist" in 1942. Or a "bandit". He was just part of french resistance.

Moreover, your idea of "any village suspected of supporting pirates can be destroyed" would just make those pirates become "resistants" in the mind of villagers. If you try to fight piracy by destroying villages, well, you've already lost.

On thing I learned of history is that your neighbour's "scum" is very often your "hero". My comparison with nazi words was rather extreme but I just wanted to point that targeting civilians just because you "suspect" them of supporting whoever you call "bandits" is the best way to change those "bandits" into "heroes". And yourself into something even worse than a bandit, my boy Krook.

There are some Poles or Romanian or Breton or Corsican or whatever you want who steal cars here in France, shall I destroy any Polish (or Romanian, or Breton, or....) village I suspect of supporting them? I'd rather begin a career in piracy, honnestly.
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 09-30-2008 at 22:38.

Why must every good thread be derailed by you fools?

On topic, maybe the pirates got radiation poisoning because the ship's hold wasn't designed to hold back radiation? After all, if it's a secret and highly illegal operation, they'd want to use a normal looking ship. All they need to do is make sure the crew don't go anywhere near the hold, and problem solved.