Thread: Diplomatic marriages

If you look in the audio files of Shogun, you will find a file whereby it tells you that a daughter has been born. The feature touted was the ability to marry off daughters to rival clans for peace, this failed to make it to the first game, I was just wondering if the add-on will have this feature in any form?.

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

that would be a terrific feature ... it would be interesting if this kind of marriage alliance was very difficult to break (both for the computer & player)-- maybe you have to wait until all your other enemies (who don't have marriage alliances with you) have been eliminated before you are able to then start breaking marriage alliances.
    Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

Shingenmitch-san, IMHO that kind of thing would only accentuate the painful simplicity of the diplomatic system. It would be possible to get entirely stuck by surrounding yourself with marriage allies...

The option would be nifty, certainly, but I don't think that it will be implemented - that's another feature major enough to have been mentioned already in the hype, if it existed. Of course, I could be wrong...

------------------
    "1. Gi: the right decision, taken with equanimity, the right attitude, the truth. When we must die, we must die. Rectitude."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

The feature did exist, if you look in the audio files you can hear your advisor tell you that you have a daughter, unfortunately, this potentially excellent feature seems to have gone the way of the Father Visitor...

Chop ass. You won't marry yer daughter with the man you are about to chop hi ASS

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://darksideclan.fateback.com
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Maybe you could break the treaty but there would be a danger that your wife would murder you in your sleep. A one time assination attempt on the Daimyo that would have a fairly high chance of success. So you and the AI would think twice about breaking a treaty where a daughter was received as a wife. If the other side broke the treaty you would be free to retaliate without an assaination attempt.

Also if they allowed mutual defence treaties you would need to give a daughter to the other Daimyo to deal the deal.

------------------
    All your base are belong to us
    All your base are belong to us

Don't forget, marry your daughter off to another clan existed in "Sword of the Samurai" So why not this game.

------------------
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

A faithful daughter might also be expected to spy for daddy..hehe

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Good point there!

------------------

Anssi, I don't think you could have enough daughters that you could surround yourself with marriage allies... Also, if someone gave you their daughter, your heir would be heir to the other clan too, so if the other clan has an heir, you get half the lands when succession happens. If they don't have an heir, then you have the normal thing, only it is a certainty you will get all of their lands, instead of just a chance.

edRonin, I would think more that your daughter would murder your enemy in your sleep than the other way around...

My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

I have just begun bumping.
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I think this feature would be useful by marrying your daughters to your best generals.It would keep them more loyal to you,and make it harder for your enemies to bribe your generals into betraying you.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

i dont know about marrying your daughters to enemies.... they break an alliance as soon as an opportunity presents itself.....seems like a waste of a daughter to me

------------------
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu
    -Sun Tzu

Well if any of u ever played ganhis kahn ( i cant spell sorry) FOR supper nintend u could marry off your girls to others for peace it made visting home worthy the trip it would be cool to have in it and a nather think neet would be Is to have online clans worthy a dam like land to fight over ever member of a clan has land and u wagger it against each other or something like that (i know not the best idea but a thaught
    IAM SHOGUN (HANNIBAL)

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

From a historical perspective,

Marrying daughters was done to accomplish a couple of things. Mainly, to solidify alliances or peace treaties. As long as the daughter was married to the current daimyo, many would respect them. However, if the daimyo married to your daughter died, it was not uncommon to break the alliance. Remember that most daimyos had more than one "wife" or concubine.

Also, spying through a daughter was somewhat common. As FWSeal has pointed out, this occured between the Saito and Nobunaga. Only, Nobunaga was smart enough to take advantage of the situation.

As for heirs through a daughter.... uncommon to think of them as such. Can't think of any specific instance when someone did, but it is possible. Remember, this was a very male-dominant culture.

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

BUT... I have diplomatic immunity! I will not have my daughter marry that fat ole Father Visitor guy and run off to Okinawa!

DOH! NOW I KNOW WHY I CANT FIND EITHER! THEY RAN AWAY TOGETHER! THE BASTARDS!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

I can remember talking about this game feature in the forum before STW came out. The developers wrote to us and said that this feature of marrying daughters or marrying a daimyo`s daughter was a rather complex issue and was too difficult to implement into the game.

Another use for marrying off you daughter for the stronger clans was to marry her into the Imperial Family. To gain the support of the Imperial Family and to keep an eye on them was important especially when rulling families like the Hojo were based in Kamakura a long way from Kyoto.

Who knows what might happen, maybe the game developers actually listened to us in the original forum. There were a few people who really supported this feature back then. Time will tell.

I kinda like the idea of marrying them to your generals, and then those generals can never be bribed. Sort of like a reward, adopting the general into your family. And to comment on Anssi's comment, if you get surrounded by marriage allies, you now have time to build some giesha, and inherit all that land! Since they are trying to expand the diplomatic system (bribing generals and such) this could be a way to use old resources in a new way.

-- B)

I like that idea cause it would suck to lose a good general and a good army over a bribe... this could prevent that to some extent

------------------
    -Sun Tzu
    -Sun Tzu