Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They Dont Make Dads like this Anymore

Default Re: They Dont Make Dads like this Anymore

If someone broke into my house I'd not be restrictive; and I would do what's described in the article. If he died, it wouldn't be too much of my concern, but I'd not call the person evil or wish him anything anyway as it would not help anything.

As for filing a charge; I guess it's normal to make an investigation when someone is killed. Note that there are no witnesses but the family he supposedly assaulted, for instance. No reason to speculate, and no reason not to.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Every altercation between people that results in death, including law enforcement involvement, is classified and investigated as a homicide. A grand jury is then presented the evidence in order to determine if a crime was in fact committed and charges need be brought.

A man's home is his castle and one is not legally required to withdraw. The perp was armed and threatening deadly physical force upon a family member. The father used reasonable force to stop the assault on his daughter, heck in this instance the use of a firearm is justified. He used his barehands to stop a knife wielding attacker, a brave man indeed, but any Father worthy of the title would do the same. I predict a happy conclusion to this incident for the family involved.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

I think the dad is a hero and that all violent sex offenders should be executed.

They were making fun of this story on the radio the other morning and I actually laughed out load. The picture they painted of a old man in a mask with condoms and a rope was funny (in a horrible way).
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Eh. Forget the American news channels, they've all come to resemble baboon's bottoms. Bright and flashy, yes, but oh the smell.

Anyway, did anyone else notice the assailant's right eye looked out of place a bit?

My kingdom for a .

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

lol Yoyama!

Well done that Dad!
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 10-03-2008 at 17:16.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

I say pin a medal on the dad. If someone breaks into my home like that with bad intentions toward my family or myself, I'd definitely go into kill mode, and they can either stay and fight (and die) or they can run like hell and maybe live another day.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Would have liked to see that man spend the rest of his life in prison, if only so that the father in question wouldn't have had to kill someone, but then again it would have amounted to the same anyway.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Fox news is center right. Some programs don't seem to have much of a bias - Shep smith, Wallace. Others are in the tank for McCain - fox & friends, Brit Hume. Others are center-right - O'reilly, who I believe is centrist in this particular election (oddly enough).

MSNBC has gone so far to the left that I wonder if it is an elaborate joke. In a way, i appreciate them because they legitimize fox news as a viable channel. I turn to MSNBC immediately after every debate because I want to hear the most absurdly partisan criticisms that I will hear later on the Daily show and Colbert, then go to CNN to hear an attempt at middle ground, then I go to fox to hear center right spin. Then I check out the right-approach on Drudge, and the next day I check BBC ,who seems to like Obama, but also has a crush on Palin.

I then take my tempered opinion to the forum and spar.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Fox news is center right.
    They aren't left or right; they're an appendage of the Republican Party. If the Repubs say we should all sell our daughters to China, I expect to see a Fox News Barbie talking about how it's a great idea within minutes.

I don't believe Fox has anything so coherent as an ideology.
    Last edited by Lemur; 10-03-2008 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    They aren't left or right; they're an appendage of the Republican Party. If the Repubs say we should all sell our daughters to China, I expect to see a Fox News Barbie talking about how it's a great idea within minutes.

I don't believe Fox has anything so coherent as an ideology.
    Yup, sorry Tuff. In the spirit of fairness and honesty I admitted the bias one can find in MSNBC lately. But Fox news is not just a little slanted, a little tilted, or a few selective programs bank for the Reps. It doesn't matter what the Reps are doing. You will never see Fox light up even the most monstrously stupid thing the GOP or any of its members do like even the conservative Wall Street Journal did when McCain got involved with the bailout and suddenly tried to pose like he hadn't already admitted he knows very little about economics. (They blasted him specifically on economic issues, and simply reported he didn't know what he was talking about.. it wasn't some conspiratorial backhanded endorsement of Obama. It was very issue-specific.) Fox doesn't REPORT what the GOP is doing or saying. It gets on and does a cheerleader routine for it, no matter what it is. And it has no problem contradicting itself.. for instance, coverage of Hillary vs. coverage of Palin, or the coverage of Reverend Wright vs. Palin's lunatic witch-hunting pastor and laying on hands, or spending the whole lead up to 2004 calling Kerry a flip flop when McCain makes Kerry look as rigid and stiffly defined and inflexible as Bush on corporate taxes.

Again, you act like there was no problem until MSNBC put up Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow. It's a long overdue counterbalance. A right-wing bias that few people dispute on Fox was okay, but MSNBC comes along and suddenly you care about neutral coverage? This is the kind of double standard that lends to the belief that good neocons/Republicans don't really care about the rules as long as the rules, or the breaking thereof, benefit them.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

They don't make Dads like him very often. This is a rare case of a stranger invading a home in order to rape. Statistically speaking Dad himself is more likely to be the rapist than any stranger.

Men loooove this sort of clear-cut case where a husband or father protects the innocent female in his life from another man. It makes them feel wanted, useful, even all-powerful. Being indispensable to the women in your life is a popular male fantasy. Reality is mostly disappointing.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

That man is my hero. If some strange man broke into my home and threatened me or a family member, I would fully expect him to die. Sadly, I don't live in Texas, where it's plenty legal to defend your home.

boy of DESTINY Senior Member Big_John's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae View Post
    That man is my hero. If some strange man broke into my home and threatened me or a family member, I would fully expect him to die. Sadly, I don't live in Texas, where it's plenty legal to defend your home.
    ..... your location says alabama....
    Last edited by Big_John; 10-04-2008 at 10:14.
    now i'm here, and history is vindicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
    ..... you're location says alabama....
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

ach, ye quoted me typo!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
    ..... your location says alabama....
    And if you notice in the quote, I said "I don't live in Texas" instead of "I live in Texas".

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae View Post
    And if you notice in the quote, I said "I don't live in Texas" instead of "I live in Texas".
    my point: i'd be shocked if a state like alabama doesn't have a castle doctrine as liberal as texas.

Alabama is not a ranching state, while Texas is. There's a reason why it's called Texas Law.

alright, i'll look it up.

i'm bored, but i'm also lazy, so looking this up is a hassle of sorts. just so you know.

i went through the whole debacle of westlaw, and actually found the pertinent codes, but discovered that wikipedia was the more sensible way.

alabama: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/C...5/13A-3-23.htm

texas: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...l/SB00378I.htm (they left the formatting corrections in like a bunch of dummies).

substantively the same. both are "stand your ground" states. i.e. there is no duty to retreat from your own home, or any other place really, and deadly force is justified in defense of another fairly liberally.

knowing is half the battle, amirite?

edit: forgot to include the wiki link, derp.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_...astle_Doctrine
    Last edited by Big_John; 10-04-2008 at 10:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12