Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nobel peace prize winners that werent deserved

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: nobel peace prize winners that werent deserved

Didn't Al Gore fly all around the world in fancy jumbo jets and stay in all the top hotels that I doubt were very 'green' when he was giving his global warming talks? His crusade against global warming must have ensured his carbon footprint is a giant crater in the ground.

lol I remember his video "An Inconvenient Truth". Here is an inconvenient truth for the man: you're an idiot!
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Melting of the northpole is one for instance, pretty cold there even in the summer it isn't the temperature of the air that makes it melt or do you thing it does? Because that would bring is back at the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 liter of water with one degree celsius.
    I've got really no idea what you're trying to say here.

Just the moon alone makes for temporary rise and fall of the sea-level each and every day and that is a lot of water, and the centrifugial powers of planetary allignment wouldn't have any effect? The earth doesn't make a perfect circle around the sun it is pulled and let go all the time.
    Yes, the Earth's orbit changes periodically thanks to the pulling of other planets. These changes cause ice ages and have an impact on Earth seasons. However, these perturbations are not able to explain all changes in the climate that have been throughout Earth's history.

The funny thing here though is that you list a great deal of possible explanations that we have not observed, when there is a blatant observerd one right in front of you called a 38% increase of the atmospheric consentration of the greenhouse gas CO2.

If you really want the truth, denying for the sake of denying is taking you of the track.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I've got really no idea what you're trying to say here.
    Well it is rather easy, a mountain of ice is more likely to cool air then the air is going to melt ice, if it melts anyway there has to be something else, like for example mucho water with a consistantly higher temperature then the ice, but you probably got that already because if it didn't it would also be ice.

38% increase wow, incredible, I tried an 30% increase of tomatoesause in my pasta and it pretty much tasted just as horrible as always, glad it isn't the only thing that is rather consistant. Like the temperature that hasn't been rising for example.

Well it is rather easy, a mountain of ice is more likely to cool air then the air is going to melt ice, if it melts anyway there has to be something else, like for example mucho water with a consistantly higher temperature then the ice, but you probably got that already because if it didn't it would also be ice.
    That makes no sense; the whole globe is heating, not just the arctic. The arctic heats more because as the ice melts, the darker ocean below sucks up more solar energy and thus strengthens the heating.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

That makes no sense; the whole globe is heating, not just the arctic.
    Well no it isn't actually, global temperature hasn't been rising since 1998, must be the CO3.

Ok good because earth isn't warming. ty. Will do.

@Kago No Goshi, ok if you put it that way, ok. But as it is we are a pimple on earths butt that isn't even big enough for an itch.
    This was true when humanity existed in homeostatic sized groups like every other mammal. It changed with agriculture and settled civilization, and accelerated with industrialization and the exponential growth of our population. To say that our population can never possibly do anything against the magnificent vast greatness of nature is dubious considering that we exist in populations far larger than any other mammal in terms of balance of population:resources or population:landmass or populatoin:ecological footprint. There is a natural cycle of heating and cooling, yes, with higher and lower carbon contents in the atmosphere. The difference is, we are mass releasing all at once (in the big timeframe of things) carbon which has been removed from the atmosphere and condensed underground over the course of millenia. I do not see how anyone could think this would have absolutely zero effect given that we know carbon content is tied to temperature and climate.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I honestly have no idea who to believe when it comes to global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I honestly have no idea who to believe when it comes to global warming.
    I am not sure why you should view it as "believing someone." I know a lot of people around here think it's very clever to refer to global warming as a "cult" or "religion." But just look at the basic science. Carbon content in the atmosphere is correlated with higher and lower temperatures. And our economies are releasing ever-increasing amounts of stored carbon in petroleum every year. I don't think the scientific community is engaging in hocus pocus stating this to be the case. I think people looking at this information and then saying "well I still just hold onto the belief that man can't do anything to change temperature or climate" is the more religious mindset out of the two camps.
    Koga no Goshi

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: nobel peace prize winners that werent deserved

global temperature hasn't been rising since 1998
    Ah, the famous '1998'.

Shall I call it 'lies, gross lies, and statistics'? 1998 was indeed the warmest year ever recorded. Take 1998 as a benchmark, and presto!, no global warming.

I'm just going to show the full statistic and let you work it out:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koga No Goshi View Post
    Carbon content in the atmosphere is correlated with higher and lower temperatures.
    No, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    No, not really.

I didn't say it was the only contributing cause, but we're talking about denying that it's a related factor at all. Your chart does not dispute that. It just shows that other environmental factors can play in.
    Koga no Goshi

Default Re: Re : Re: nobel peace prize winners that werent deserved

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Ah, the famous '1998'
    The famous 1984 if you ask me

bull bull bull

The famous 1984 if you ask me

bull bull bull
    Wool eyecoverings come in very handy during nuclear blasts. :)
    Koga no Goshi

My fantasyland is protected by deflecting rainbows I am not worried. But really, one of the biggest omgoshes of the eco-nostra is the melting of the northpole and drowning fluffies but even a 12 year old in droolschool can understand that that is complete and utter bull because it takes a lot of energy to melt ice a slight rise in the temperature of the air wouldn't do that, it's the water, and to think that the air can warm an ocean is borderline insane. Bull bull bull.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: nobel peace prize winners that werent deserved

My fantasyland is protected by deflecting rainbows I am not worried. But really, one of the biggest omgoshes of the eco-nostra is the melting of the northpole and drowning fluffies but even a 12 year old in droolschool can understand that that is complete and utter bull because it takes a lot of energy to melt ice a slight rise in the temperature of the air wouldn't do that, it's the water, and to think that the air can warm an ocean is borderline insane. Bull bull bull.
    I'm sorry Frags, but now you're sounding like one of those people who attack evolution with pseudo-science. Global Warming is a controversial subject, with no scientific consensus, but the above is just plain nonsense.

Polar ice melts and forms at an astonishing rate each year. The Antartic ice sheet doubles in six months time each year, an area nearly the size of Russia. Or, the size of Ireland each day. Day after day.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 10-06-2008 at 16:04.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

but the above is just plain nonsense.

Yes, and this energy comes from the sun. It is absorbed by the oceans, the atmosphere, the clouds and the land masses. The extra CO2 is able to reflect more infrared radiation back down to Earth and thus manipulates the energy balances. This extra energy reflected back heats the oceans, the atmosphere and the landmasses. It's pretty simple.

Air manipulates water temperature and vice versa. I think you need a basic science class.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I'm sorry Frags, but now you're sounding like one of those people who attack evolution with pseudo-science. Global Warming is a controversial subject, with no scientific consensus, but the above is just plain nonsense.

Polar ice melts and forms at an astonishing rate each year. The Antartic ice sheet doubles in six months time each year, an area nearly the size of Russia. Or, the size of Ireland each day. Day in, day out.
    Ice age here, ice age there, Saudi Arabia had one. Completily natural nothing to do with men that is rediculous. Don't ask me why, ask serious scientists. Land warms up faster then water anyway, not comparable with the northpole, land absorbs warmth.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-06-2008 at 11:21.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Ice age here, ice age there, Saudi Arabia had one. Completily natural nothing to do with men that is rediculous. Don't ask me why, ask serious scientists. Land warms up faster then water anyway, not comparable with the northpole, land absorbs warmth.
    Trolling again Frag?

Anyway, land warms up faster than water just because it absobs less warmth.

And last ice-age that covered Saudi Arabia was pre-Pangea.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Didn't Al Gore fly all around the world in fancy jumbo jets and stay in all the top hotels that I doubt were very 'green' when he was giving his global warming talks? His crusade against global warming must have ensured his carbon footprint is a giant crater in the ground.

lol I remember his video "An Inconvenient Truth". Here is an inconvenient truth for the man: you're an idiot!
    This is a completely spurious argument - while in order to promote the awareness of global warming, Al Gore, the IPCC and various other bodies may generate a net increase in carbon emissions, by doing so they generate a long run decrease in carbon emissions. To look at it in only the short term is to completely miss the point of the exercise.

Most of those who advocate climate change control through control of CO2 emissions support a market solution whereby you pay to emit CO2. Hence depending on the pricing, excess emissions of CO2 becomes a luxury item - as ever with luxury items, those with wealth can buy them. I see no problem with someone who accepts that climate change is human influenced and needs to be controlled, but who is also sufficiently wealthy to be able to afford to emit excess CO2 doing so - an individuals contributions in such a system will be near irrelevant, as long as the pricing structure is sufficient that it brings net CO2 emissions worldwide down. Hence Al Gore and anybody else can emit all they like, as long as they pay for it.

Of course if you were to take a holistic view, then you couldn't go around making flippant one liners and calling people idiots. You might even have to use some serious backup to your statements .

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

the key, my friends, is the word "peace."
    nothing in that article told me that he worked to help for peace anywhere.
    he should have gotten the prize for science, if anything.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Trolling again Frag?

Anyway, land warms up faster than water just because it absobs less warmth.

And last ice-age that covered Saudi Arabia was pre-Pangea.
    Everything is pre-something in Saudi Arabia. Northpole is a lump of ice Antartica is a landmass can't be compared, when ice melts for whatever reason, exposing land, the energy of these sunbeams will release that same energy as warmth. No such thing on the northpole. Dead serious, hoax.

bull bull bull

I think you need a basic science class.

All I need is know is where not to get one. Water gives energy back fast, when it is warm. Actually warming water up, that costs a lot.
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-06-2008 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Productivity View Post
    Of course if you were to take a holistic view, then you couldn't go around making flippant one liners and calling people idiots. You might even have to use some serious backup to your statements .
    As I said I don't know where I stand on this issue, but you've got to see the irony in it and if he wants to live in luxury then he should expect criticism for telling us to limit or toilet paper.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 10-06-2008 at 17:23.

speaking of limiting our luxuries, i think one of those millionaire actors said that the US should make a law saying we can only use 1 square of toilet paper per trip to the WC. what a nutcase.
    seriously, who is going to enforce that?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

As I said I don't know where I stand on this issue
    When in doubt always trust the side that isn't after your money

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

All I need is know is where not to get one. Water gives energy back fast, when it is warm. Actually warming water up, that costs a lot.
    I am still not quite sure what you are trying to say as you seem to switch back and forth between two statement that are not necessarily linked.

Are you
    a) denying completely that there is a climate change, a rise in temperature in oceans etc. (which you are implying with the statement above).

or

b) acknowledging that there is a change but that it is natural and man is not influencing it in a significant way?

i choose b
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

b, these things are much much slower then a lifetime. If it was us causing it, wouldn't the rise of new industrial powers have any effect? Temperatures rise and fall as they always have. It's complete and utter bull and frankly utterly insane to even consider that it has anything to do with us.

Tribes up in Alaska have had to evacuate off traditional grounds too because the permafrost is either turning into running water or at least sort of a sloshy snow cone that is no longer solid to build or walk on...
    Koga no Goshi

It's complete and utter bull and frankly utterly insane to even consider that it has anything to do with us.
    Your post is truly utter nonsense and lacks elementary logical reasoning. The climate is a system; all nature is a system. When you poor water into a cup that is full, the water runs over. That's how the entire universe works; it's a sum of its parts. The day you listen to reason, I think hell freezes over.
    Last edited by Viking; 10-06-2008 at 18:14.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Your post is truly utter nonsense and lacks elementary logical reasoning. The climate is a system; all nature is a system. When you poor water into a cup that is full, the water runs over. That's how the entire universe works; it's a sum of its parts. The day you listen to reason, I think hell freezes over.
    wow that was good I hope temperature stayed stable when you put that down

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast