Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Concert of Europe

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Concert of Europe

I will seriosuly consder this gentlemen! We can not afford another revolution in Europe .

Emperor Franz

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I will forgive France's debt to Prussia as long as we can keep the other part of the previous deal.

To the Polish nationalists:

Any person caught purchasing or stockpiling large amounts of weapons will be arrested. The weapons seized and the person or group of people will be executed. I have been extremely generous with my people, and given you all freedoms that others have dreamed of for many years. Remember I have given you these rights and I can take them away. Please do not make me do that.

Frederick William III
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

To the Nations of Europe:

As the head of my nation, it is my pleasure to announce that a state of alliance now exists between the Kingdom of Sardinia and Piedmont and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

with respect,
    King Victor Emmanuel I of The Kingdom of Sardinia and Piedmont.
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Spain: The Spanish governments closes the borders to France and alerts the tropps along the border!

Kleindeutscher Bund: The Bund activates the joined army of 5,000 men to be readfy to fight revolutionary riots.

Deadline next weekend! Is that allright?

Blog Entries

Sounds Good Fran!

I will forgive France's debt to My Empire. We must help France crush this rebllion before it spreads and we have another problem.

I also like to thank Lord Metternich (Stephen Asen! Fran told me to announce this ) for his advice so far.

Emperor Franz Of Austria-Hungary

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Re: Concert of Europe

I would like to thank for the trust to H.I.M. Emperor Franz and I would like to announce I will do my best to aid the establishment of the peace of Europe and the fair system of Vienna.

I will also make personal visit of some of the provinces of the Empire to inspect the harms done by the famine

Sign,

Chancellor of the Austrian Empire

Prince Klemens Wenzel von Metternich
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 11-30-2008 at 17:41.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Asen View Post
    I would like to thank for the trust to H.I.M. Emperor Franz and I would like to announce I will do my best to aid the establishment of the peace of Europe and the fair system of Vienna.

I will also make personal visit of some of the provinces of the Empire to inspect the harms done by the famine

Sign,

Chancellor of the Austrian Empire

Prince Klemens Wenzel von Metternich

You Are Quite Welcome, Prince Metternich!

Emperor Franz I

Deadline is this weekend for decsions right? I have mine it tomarrow or Sunday at latest.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Please give my spot to someone else. Sorry for the inconvenience
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo View Post
    Can I play as both France and Prussia and rename my newly formed Commonwealth Frussia?

Sorry you have to leave us, Ichigo. Make sure you come on back now, y'hear?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo View Post

Sorry to hear that,come back soon !
    However, did you get ya decsions in though ?

Blog Entries

I get my decsions in tomarrow (Tuesday).

Same
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Blog Entries

Everyone got decsions in I presume, I hope ?

Still waiting for the plans of the English and Turks

And for the final, lasting, delayed, retarded, post message from Austria

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    Still waiting for the plans of the English and Turks

And for the final, lasting, delayed, retarded, post message from Austria

Damn Infidels Turks! Always causing problems!

I still owe something?

Noi, just thought you might feel the wish to add something!

1) What is up with Ottoman and England??

2) Warluster (next in line) hasn`t replied. Therefore Prussia is free!

Blog Entries

Give them 1-2 more dyas. If no responce, then go on without them Fran! We can't wait for them forever!

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Franc - sorry about the delay - my apologies - too much work and family pre Christmas pressures!!

I should get something to you today.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Blog Entries

Chirstmas... Humbug!

Sometimes we all get busy with something me thinks

There won`t be an update before Christmas, because

1. there is still no news from the Ottoman Sultan
    2. I do not
    want to spoil your holidays

Merry Chrsitmas to all of you and have nice holidays!

Cheers

Blog Entries

Merry Christmas everyone! .

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Lord Liverpool wishes all his subjects and the good citizens of Europe 1818 the complements of the season.
    He looks forward to the good news in the New Year - more sucess for the navies and traders of Great Britain.
    - a slight pause and he strikes up a song
    "Rule Britianna, Britiannia rules the waves.
    Britian never, never, never will be slaves!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

The Tsar would like to remind the heritics of western europe that they are a week early, and all true Christans celebrate christ's birth on the 7th of January. Willing to overlook your error, The Tsar would still like to wish all you hertics a merry Christmas.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    The Tsar would like to remind the heritics of western europe that they are a week early, and all true Christans celebrate christ's birth on the 7th of January. Willing to overlook your error, The Tsar would still like to wish all you hertics a merry Christmas.
    *mumbles to self* Bloody Julian Calendar*To everyone* Merry Christmas to everyone!
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius of the Drake View Post
    *mumbles to self* Bloody Julian Calendar*To everyone* Merry Christmas to everyone!
    The Court of Louis XVIII says "ditto"!

Blog Entries

Can't wait for the chapter :D!

In the mean time,

Hnappy New Year!
    -Peter Green

Chapter 4 – June 1818 to May 1819

Three years are gone since the Congress of Vienna and liberal and national fantasts seduce subjects all over Europe, while the revolutionary spirit of the French is still unbroken. These are the challenges for the Big 5 and they can only be solved in a close cooperation - the Concert of Europe has to pass its first test.

Even more dramatic than these problems are the changes that occur slowly under the surface. Population of all European countries is growing with odd speed. Neither hunger nor war nor emigration could slow this down. Especially poor people in the country proliferate. However, there is not enough work for all of them. Many used to supplement their income as weavers. Children as well as their parents worked hard to earn enough money to survive. However, the introduction of the putting out system lowers the margin of the common weavers and the emerging industrial production of cloth threatens the income of hundred thousands. Many leave their home to go into the cities. Number of inhabitants explodes, social and economic structures collapse, as the guilds break down. Wages fall and misery spreads.

Harvest is good this year and the rate for crop and other farm products fall. Trade is hindered by many conflicts and trade barriers. Economies change and new technologies appear. For example, new banks pop up all over Germany – so called “saving banks” – are found to increase the wealth of the citizens.
    Prussia opens a telegraph line between Berlin and Cologne. Although build for the military, it can also be used by the press and for the first time news fly across Germany almost with the speed of light. Press becomes more and more important, spreading information and propaganda all over the countries, making the subjects participate in policy. But the English certainly overdo their affection for technological gadgets; newspaper report that they plan a railroad train, driven by steam, that shall even transport people.

In the second half of 1818, France is still a source of trouble. The monarchs of Austria and Russia realize that an unstable situation at France could cost more than to waiver their claims. Their concessions make the French government solvent, again. King Louis of France starts to build up a new administration and recruits about 8,000 soldiers. And he is trying to create revenue from taxes, most necessary for his government to survive. In the meanwhile the people of the south of France are waiting for a sign of the Bourbon monarch. But there is no sign from Versailles and so they are doing their harvests – as every year.

The Austrian government is borrowing more money to compensate the loss of the French payment. More than 700,000 talers are spent to develop the economy, mainly in infrastructure, like new roads and harbor facilities. Austria is also reorganizing her armies. The eastern forces are divided into two armies, commanded by General Graf Johann von Radetsky and General Warman8, also known as “Butcher of Lyon”. A new army is build by Feldmarschall Fürst zu Schwarzenberg.

Kaiser Franz I boosts the diplomatic efforts by increasing influence of Fürst Metternich. The results are an agreement with Savoy and negotiations with the minor German states. In December the government announces, that Austria wants to join the Deutschen Bund and to develop it into a German federation.

During winter Schwarzenberg is drilling the new recruits of his army and trains his officers. End of March, he sets the army in motion. His divisions, in total 98,000 men, are crossing the Alps at Bozen and marching along the river Po until they enter the Kingdom of Sardinia. At Torino, a detachment of about 2,000 soldiers of Piedmont joins the Austrian forces. After a short rest, Schwarzenberg makes the army cross the border to France.

Early June reports reach Lyon that the French King called foreign soldiers to fight his own people. Reaching the river Rhone, Schwarzenberg cuts the connection between Lyon and Marseille. Then the Austrians turn north to Lyon. French peasants try to block the columns, but they are driven away by Austrian lancers and dragoons. A militia of about 2,000 French royalists joins Schwarzenberg’s army and forms the advanced detachment. End of June they occupy Lyon and the French royalists start slaughtering what they call rebels. Schwarzenberg has to send his grenadiers to end the massacre. As soon as the town is secured, the Feldmarschall divides his forces and sends them on the way to Marseille and La Rochelle, to fight these centers of the rebellion.

Meanwhile, news about the Austrian expedition forces reaches Paris. There are also rumors that the French King Louis is only a puppet, paid with Austrian talers. The mob revolts in the streets of Paris and the King barricades with his new guard at Versailles. From the Alsace 8,000 loyal royalists approach Paris to aid their monarch. At the Provence, about 300,000 republicans are gathering to fight the Austrian intruders and the treacherous king. At Corsica furious crowd storms the harbor facilities and destroys the warehouses of the English traders.

Bavaria and Württemberg join the German Bund. The deputies of the small German states decide to alert their armies and to gather the Federal troops near Frankfurt. They do not participate in the Austrian expedition, but are alert.
    Hannover also wants to join the Federation, but the negotiations are stopped because the English government does not accept the customs tariffs for goods from the islands.

In whole Germany, the number of newspapers grows steadily and the number of extreme nationalistic and liberal articles explodes. Even though the censorship prevents direct attacks against the governments, there are other ways. In autumn the liberal press attacks the writer Kotzebue. This Prussian subject is known as conservative, who did not support liberal day dreams and who worked as a consul for Russia. The papers blame him for being a Russian spy. Papers also report in favor of the Polish minorities and some articles indirectly ask the Poles to revolt.

In January Kotzebue is killed by a man named Sand, a simple man, who was set by the liberal propaganda.

At Prussia this leads to a significant change of policy. The King nominates a new Kanzler and he announces to introduce a Prussian parliament. The modus of election is made to give influence to those who serve the state by paying taxes, especially aristocrats and rich citizens. This is flanked by a strict censorship. There are also special laws for the province of Posen. Any notion that indicates that this province is or was Polish is forbidden. Also, the local aristocrats get special rights. Possession of guns without the permission of the royal agents is forbidden. The number of troops at Posen is increased and the soldiers search for illegal propaganda and guns.
    The King also reorganizes the army. Only aristocrats can serve in the guard corps, rich citizens and aristocrats may become officers in the corps of the line.
    Prussia also is interested to join the German Bund. The Prussian government wants to join the custom network as well as defensive alliance. Furthermore, she proposes joined programs to boost economy and technological progress.

At Russia, the Czar is forced to reduce the spending, as the deficit is getting more and more frightening. Even disbanding 60,000 soldiers does not prevent a new whole in the budget. The Russian government also tries to foster economy and tries to attract specialists from the western countries. However, Russian export suffers from falling prices of food and textiles and cheap goods from England overflow the market. Nevertheless, the Russian economy is growing this year, mainly because of the trade with the Ottoman Empire.

Sardinia is trying to avoid trouble with the Grand Nations. She supports the Austrian expedition to France as well as the English maneuvers at sea. However, this does not please the Italian nationalists at all. King Emanuel becomes the new target for the propaganda of the Italian nationalists.

The economy of the small kingdom is not doing very well. Chaos at France and the dominance of the English merchants in the Mediterranean Sea hinder trade. A good deal with Austria breaks up, too.

On the Balkans, tensions stay on a high level. The Ottoman Empire keeps on building an army along the borders to Austria. They repair streets and bridges and construct a fleet of supply ships on the River Danube.
    The Austrians guard their borders with two armies; one under the command of General Warman protects the approach to Vienna, another one under Radetzky covers Hungary.
    In April 1819, columns of the Turks cross the border. While Radetzky is retreating to Budapest, Warman is trying to guard Vienna. Warman has only 20,000 soldiers to stop 60,000 Turks. The Turks are pushing hard. Among them are not only contingents from Croatia, Bulgaria and Greece, but also 500 men from Serbia.

After some minor combats, Warman retreats again and again. His army is far too weak to dare a battle on the open ground. He has to rush to Vienna, but he leaves 2,000 men at the town of Bratislava, where they should win the time until the Austrians are ready to strike back. The Turks encircle the town in May and start to build up the siege. End of May, the artillery of the Ottomans begins the bombardment. The damage for the small fortress is disastrous. After four long days and nights, the facilities of the Imperial army are crushed and the commander has to surrender. Although the way to Vienna is open, now, the Turks turn around and march back to the border.

While there is chaos everywhere, England stands aside and tries to cook her own soup. The King sends another expedition to the shores of Morocco. Admiral Milne reaches Tanger before Christmas. He finds the harbor blocked by an American frigate and two merchant ships. This time, he does not waste time with diplomatic notes. He sends orders to two ships of the line to open fire and within minutes the three US vessels sink. After this, British infantry lands at the harbor, while the battle ships bombard the coast batteries. At the evening, the town is controlled by the British. Milne leaves a small garrison, while his ships sail along the coast to sink any Moroccan vessel they find and bombard every village.
    At March, another fleet leaves Gibraltar. Lord Exmouth leads another raid against Algiers. This time, the defense is low and the British soldiers assault the town almost without casualties. Exmouth arrests the Bey and puts the town under the rule of a British agent.

Exmouth’s ships turn to Malta, where they meet a supply convoy. Then they set sails to the coast of the Balkans. On the way, they meet two small transport ships from the Ottomans and sink them. The British try to embark guns and equipment for the Serbs, but the Turks react quickly and occupy the coast. Exmouth leaves this sea and sails to the shores of Greece, to unload his guns there. Here, he finds only little resistance from some Turkish batteries, which he manages to silence quickly. After this mission, he returns to Gibraltar and then returns to Scapa Flow.
    However, the British government does not have time to enjoy the news from these successful operations. The ambassador of the United States of America sends a protest note to the King and the parliament. He demands 10 million talers to compensate the death of the American sailors and the immediate retreat of the British from Morocco. More bad news comes from the East India Company, in fact a series of bad news. At India, bad harvests and bad administration lead to a big dearth among the Indians. The commander of the Indian army asks urgently for food and soldiers to prevent a riot. At Ceylon, there is already a riot. The rebels led by Kandyan noblemen capture Matale and Kandy and Governor Robert Brownrigg is forced into more and more brutal guerilla warfare.
    The worst news, though, comes from the company itself. Mismanagement has created a big deficit. The only profitable trade is currently with tea from China. However, the imports of Chinese tea are so large, while there is almost no export, that a big amount of gold is transferred every year to the Chinese Empire. This deficit in the trade with China is getting more and more a problem to the British economy.

To accomplish the worries of the British government, more bad news reaches the River Thames in April. The Ottoman government confiscates all British ships and goods in Ottoman harbors. Furthermore, it closes the strait for ships from England and Austria.

Rest of the world:

There are riots all over southern Italy. The mob, pushed by nationalistic propaganda and furious about the presence of an Austrian army at northern Italy, occupies the city of Naples. The Habsburgian regent escapes and calls his relative at Vienna for help. Even the Pope is threatened by the nationalistic crowd. He hides himself in a castle at Rome and sends for help to the Kaiser of Austria.

At Spain, the monarch celebrates the victory of the Battle of Cancha Rayada. However, soon afterwards, news reaches Madrid that the rebels won the Battle of Maipú. Most of Chile is lost now. At Columbia, hard fighting goes on between royalists and rebels.
    The King sells Florida to the Americans. With this money he hires more soldiers. He is determined to send them to Southern America to finally end the upraise of his subjects.

The Netherlands find a new base for their trade in the far east. The new harbor lays on an island called Singapore.

More info and tasks are coming!
    Warluster now rules Prussia, while the Turks are controlled by me!

Have a successful and peaceful new year 2009!
    And a bloody chaos in 1819

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I am deeply concerned over this new French Revolution. It almost feels as if 1789 is repeating itself. With Austrian intervention the populace now rise in heavy numbers, numbers which could easily produce another worry, a worry like Napoleon. This could throw Europe into hell if it continues.

With the threat this once again produces, I wonder at several things.

If Prussian troops intervene and help, will we have to do so again, in several years? Will this form itself into a tradition, that Europe assembles a Allied army and fights a French revolution. King Louis, in three years time are more Prussian soldiers going to die, because you can't control your country?

How will you control your country, I ask. So I will not commit troops to help defend France, as I will not see Prussians die for no reason. I will only send troops of Austrian troops are troubled. If, herpa,s you control your country in a better style, I will be willing to send several Corps.

I would also like to propose a Defensive Alliance with the Kingdom of England.

King Frederick William III,

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast