Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Concert of Europe

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Default Re: Concert of Europe

My dear Kaiser

Actions speak louder than words. The Austrian army left their capital under Turkish threat to invade France under the guise of putting down a rebellion. You offered no help to the Serbs. I offered help to the Serbs and attacked the Turks with the only weapon possible - my fleet. You and your puppetmaster Metternich begged then threatened me for troops but mainly money to assist in your invasion of France. I offered a reasonable approach but then your puppetmaster Metternich produces an alleged letter from me to the Sultan....

Does Metternich read all confidential messages between nations???...

Does he make up what he wants to read???

Apparently this supposed threat of the Turks and my forces proposed such a threat to Vienna that your forces had to rush back from France??? I assume my fleet was going to sail up the Danube while the Turks about turn on their borders and return to Vienna - something they could not do when faced with a small Austrian force in a fortress only last year.

Some cynics may say that your much vaunted army couldn't stand against an armed mob with pitchforks so they had to rush home with their skirts round their waist, but I am too much of a gentleman to suggest that.

I see my Prussian friends - you remember them, it was my and the Prussian armies that defeated Napoleon at Waterloo while you and Metternich danced another Viennese Waltz - have also seen through your aggressive designs on France and withdrawn their support from your invasion. To that I say bravo!! All of Europe has seen through your attempts to conquer France at our expense and with our troops.

Finally, I say this - who really rules in Vienna? - the blustering Kaiser or the devious puppetmaster Metternich. Perhaps your forces are best suited to defend from the enemy within.....or is it too late?????

Issued by Lord Liverpool from his private club.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lord Liverpool,

So does this mean you did offer the Turks aid aganist us? I can not help if you did not help the French. If we did nothing---- then we would have another Napoleon on our hands, and you would blame us for it. Our Army did well in this campagain, do not try calling our men cowards. Besides, unlike us, we do not send our land army to attack a weaker nation like Moracco and try to renew a war with the US, which it seems you can't even beat the US army (which is why you didn't assault my Empire in the first place, were your troops scared?) Weren't they your colonies at one time? Seems like Great Britian can't even control it's own colonies, yet they give their own opinion on other nations.

With the Turks, that is the thing. That the right thing to do, to defend your captial, so we were rushing back to defend it. Something GB does not understand since they do not need to be worried by this.

Yes, British and Prussian forces won at Waterloo, however, who was it that help take Paris and make Napoleon go into exile the first time around? The Austrians. I didn't see a huge English army marching into Paris then when it was taken (Unless I am mistaken KK, I been reading alot about the era ).

In the end, I am still Emperor, and he is Chacanlleor. No one is a puppet/puppetmaster.

Kaiser Franz I

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus View Post
    As there are still negotiations going on, I postpone the deadline to Wednesday!

They are sent!

Come on all! Hurry up

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Prussia is alarmed by this sudden outbreak of accusations and possible lies. We are not ready to believe and support either side, but can see a final solution. You can solve this peacefully in a diplomatic fashion, ending any possible bloodshed and further economic ruin, which both sides have taken, or you can solve this by yhe blood of the people of your nations, a war which would finish Napoloen's work and destroy Europe.

I do not think you wnat the second option. So I ask that both sides calm down and forget the issues, we have larger porlbems at hand then past bickering and accusing at what side did what in Napoleon's infamous days. If war does break out and both choose to ignore me, then Prussia will support the side, defintly, which appears to be truthfully right provided by the evidence, and we will side with either to end such a possible war.

We doubt such a thing will happen though.

Sincerely,
    King Frederick William III,

Quote Originally Posted by Warluster View Post
    Prussia is alarmed by this sudden outbreak of accusations and possible lies. We are not ready to believe and support either side, but can see a final solution. You can solve this peacefully in a diplomatic fashion, ending any possible bloodshed and further economic ruin, which both sides have taken, or you can solve this by yhe blood of the people of your nations, a war which would finish Napoloen's work and destroy Europe.

I do not think you wnat the second option. So I ask that both sides calm down and forget the issues, we have larger porlbems at hand then past bickering and accusing at what side did what in Napoleon's infamous days. If war does break out and both choose to ignore me, then Prussia will support the side, defintly, which appears to be truthfully right provided by the evidence, and we will side with either to end such a possible war.

We doubt such a thing will happen though.

Sincerely,
    King Frederick William III,
    My dear William

Britian has no desire for a war with Austria - our fleet has been in action within the last year helping to defend against an attack upon them by the Turks so why attack the people we have been defending? Our army is small as our strength is in our fleet - there would be no purpose in a war with Austria.
    However we are concerned with the nature of their French expedition which has the hallmarks of an invasion not assistance - especially when they remove troops from the defence of their capital to march halfway across Europe to invade another country when the Turks are advancing on Vienna. To add insult to injury they then approach Britian to pay for this invasion. We were in the middle of negociations about this when the puppetmaster Metternich waves his note and the Austrian army about turns and marchs back to Vienna to face the Turks - who have already withdrawn - and some fictious threat from myself. How am I to march on Vienna? sail up the Danube???

Britian has but one interest - trade - so we want peace. As Austria apparently has deserted France in her hour of need we will do all we can. But this will be done on the basis of what the French king wants, not a rape of his lands. In the intrest of peace I urge you to take a similar stance.

Lord Liverpool
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Re: Concert of Europe

Prince Klemens von Metternich, Chancellor of Austria is still unaware how could Austria have any territorial interest in France as it does not have a common border with the latter.

P.S. OOC: I'll continue my forced exile until tomorrow or Saturday at latest.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 01-29-2009 at 18:26.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Blog Entries

Britian has no desire for a war with Austria - our fleet has been in action within the last year helping to defend against an attack upon them by the Turks so why attack the people we have been defending?

I don't know Lord Liverpool, it is a good question.

Britian has but one interest - trade - so we want peace. As Austria apparently has deserted France in her hour of need we will do all we can. But this will be done on the basis of what the French king wants, not a rape of his lands. In the intrest of peace I urge you to take a similar stance.

Good thing that England declares to help France when Austria leaves, yet when we were helping France, your nation was not as willing to help.

Kaiser Franz I

OCC: I be busy to, so I'll have more time come Friday or Saturday also ..

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Press review

Frankfurter Ober-Post-Amts-Zeitung: ENGLAND CHALLENGES AUSTRIA

We all used to think that England was our friend, even though cheap goods from England flood our countries and ruin our artisans. But we hadn’t forgotten that England used to fight side by side with us against the French enemy.
    England is disguised now – England has no friend but England. His majesty’s government fuels unrests all over Europe trying to create as much confusion as possible. Her goal is to keep us weak. But now the mask is fallen and the mean tricks are disguised.
    This time Albion erred. Her aggression against Austria will be answered by all Germans! Therefore it is time for all true Germans to arm and fight England and her spies. And if the sovereigns are not willing to join this fight, they might be wiped away by the true German people.

Allgemeine Zeitung: CONCERT OF EUROPE STRANDED
    The restoration of the old regimes, constructed by Fürst Metternich, stranded. It seems as if the old dynasties do not have answers to the problems of the new time. They are unable to act with new trend, like technologies, industrialization, nationalism, public awareness. They stick to their old pattern and ignore the facts. And they are still executing their own niggling egoism, unable to see, that all countries are affected and that the new challenges can only be resolved in joined efforts.
    However, dilatoriness and repression will not stop the new age; on the contrary, it may soon displace the obsolete monarchs.

La Gazette
    What happens to our beloved country? France became a playfield for foreign nations, which follow only their own interests. All those, which hoped for help from abroad, have to see, that help can only come out of our own country. Therefore, country fellowmen, end this useless fratricidal war and join our King Louis to establish a strong and free nation.

Gazeta (Lisbon)
    Our correspondent at Madrid tells us, that there is a rebellion of a Spanish regiment. The soldiers, bound for the war in the American colonies, demand the return to a government according to the constitution.

Merkuriusz Polski: TIMES OF CHANGE
    Everyday we receive new amazing reports about what is going on in other parts of the world. What we hear and read is simply taking our breath away. AT South America, people fight the oppressive rule of the Spaniards. At France people are fighting every form of foreign or tyrannical government. The Serbian people rise against Ottoman oppression. At Germany, students demonstrate for their national rights. At Italy people stand up and drive the foreign occupants out of their country. Their battle cry is “national unity”.
    All over Europe, there are times of change, which no monarch seems to withstand. All over Europe? No. The Polish people are happy with the foreign government, the suppression of their freedom and national rights. Long live the Russian Czar, our King!

Sankt-Peterburgskie Vedomosti
    ON THE BRINK
    Latest news from the western capitols lead to only one conclusion: the world is on the brink of war. We already got used to bad news from France, even from the Balkans; we got also used to hear about unrest from Poland. But now it seems as if England and Austria are eager for a war that will pull whole Europe into another age of destruction. Then, once again, Russian soldiers will have to give their blood for order and peace.

Wiener Zeitung
    ALONE IN A HOSTILE WORLD
    After the Napoleonic wars, Metternich tried to construct a stable system of solitary among the victorious nations. He scarified the dreams of a new German nations and liberty to restore the old order. Now he must see his project failing.
    The events of the last months showed, that Austria is surrounded by hostiles neighbors. Only the tiny Savoy supported her efforts to save order at France. None of her friends assisted her in the defense of the Ottoman invasion. And lately we had to find out that the English, which we had accounted friends, were secretly trying to harm us. The whole diplomatic affair was handled by the government in a way that damaged our reputation. Neither Prussia nor Russia gave a sign to repel the English aggressions.
    So now the Danube Monarchy is surrounded by enemies and her only bearer is the Imperial Army. But what do we see if we look at the army that defeated the dreaded French Emperor just a couple of years ago? We see a tattered army that passed two unsuccessful campaigns against French peasants and collected a defeat against the third-class Turks.
    Fellow countrymen, we have to face the facts: Metternich’s policy led the country into a dead-end street. We need a drastic change to get out of trouble again and we need it now!

TIMES: LIVERPOOL RUNS AMOK!
    For a while the English people is looking at its government and again and again it keeps on asking: does Liverpool have a plan that we just cannot see? He does not!
    In the few years since the Wellington’s great victory the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland lost the achievements of this victory because it did nothing to fight the new fire source at France. What it just laggardness that hindered Liverpool to support Austria drenching the fire? No, he was just busy setting blazes everywhere else. The Royal Navy raided several harbors at the coasts of Africa, it attacked US ships, it supported riots against the Ottomans and, the last and most perverse step, suggested the sultan a joined military invasion against Austria – our ally in the wars against Napoleon. This last intrigue failed shamefully and now England is isolated amongst the European nations.
    The sad truth is that King George has a minister, which is even more insane than he is himself. When will the parliaments put an end to this unpleasant tragedy? When will they force the King to replace Liverpool? When will we get a government that is worth to lead one of the most civilized countries in the world?

Only goes to show - never believe what you read in the papers

All will be revealed in due course
    Last edited by King Kurt; 01-29-2009 at 19:58.

Still waiting for some moves!!!!!!!!!

Details of how I land my army in Calais, sweep across Europe and take Vienna should be with you..... along with the annoucement of how England has invented the aeroplane

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt View Post
    Details of how I land my army in Calais, sweep across Europe and take Vienna should be with you..... along with the annoucement of how England has invented the aeroplane
    That's what you think!

The Tsar speaks in St. Petersburg.

At Vienna the nations of Europe pledged to work together to insure that Europe would never again splip into chaos. Clearly, we have failed at this goal. Russia has done all she could to insure the sucess of this mission. She has negioated a peace between the Ottoman and Austrian Empire and has opposed the dangerous forces of mob rule griping many parts of Europe. The only other nation to adhere to the pact was Austria. Austria did her duty in France but failed. Why did she fail? Austria failed for one reason, and that is the sad apathy that gripped the great powers. Russia tried to assist her but the distance between the motherland and France made it too impractiable to send our mighty armies. While most nations can attribute their failure to the sin of laziness, there is one who has doen everything they could to spread the seeds of Chaos. Lord Liverpool and England has toppled nations and intruded on the balance of power that we all fought so hard to perserve. We as nations must turn our back on such a trechorous nation and resolve ourselves to finish the work that was started after Nepolean was shattered on the steepes of Russia.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

It seems the Tsar has managed to pick up a pair of rose tinted glasses from the many splendors of the Winter Gardens.
    All nations of Europe have striven to keep the peace in France. England led the way in waiving our rights to war debts from the very begining. We felt that if rebellion was to be prevented in France then its economy should be given a chance to recover and the burden and provocation of foreign troops on her soil should be removed. Unfortunately some nations - particuarly Austria - took a different view and tried to squeeze every last penny out of the French treasury. As a consequence rebellion brewed and broke out. Then Austria - the principle archetect of the chaos which allowed rebellion to fester - marched back in to the beleagued land to conquer large tracts of France under the guise of putting down rebellion. It did this while its very own capital was under threat for the forces of the Sultan. The Turks were turned back - by the efforts of a small Austrian garrison, the Serbs and the British Royal Navy. It would have been easier if the "mighty armies of Russia" had lent their military force to that of ours, but despite having a common border, the Tsar choose to stand on the sidelines and let other nations fight his battles.
    Now - with France in turmoil, Austria decides to pull its troops out of France to face a non existent threat from the Turks - where is the sense in that? As France needs the help of the great nations of Europe England will not turn their back on them, unlike Austria. Even now my forces are mobilising to intervene in Western France to work with the forces of the French king to restore order to this land. But my forces will not rape the land, look for spoils and seek huge levels of payment for doing their duty. Once the job is done - and the sooner the better - we will return to England and hand over France to the French.
    I urge the Tsar to match his words with actions - send troops or money to help put down this rebellion - your failure to do so will expose that your true cause is to let Europe plunge into chaos while you sit on the sidelines waiting to pick up the pieces.

Franc - are all the moves in now?
    Last edited by King Kurt; 02-02-2009 at 14:11.

Blog Entries

They are now me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt View Post
    It seems the Tsar has managed to pick up a pair of rose tinted glasses from the many splendors of the Winter Gardens.
    All nations of Europe have striven to keep the peace in France. England led the way in waiving our rights to war debts from the very beginning. We felt that if rebellion was to be prevented in France then its economy should be given a chance to recover and the burden and provocation of foreign troops on her soil should be removed. Unfortunately some nations - particularly Austria - took a different view and tried to squeeze every last penny out of the French treasury. As a consequence rebellion brewed and broke out. Then Austria - the principle architect of the chaos which allowed rebellion to fester - marched back in to the beleagued land to conquer large tracts of France under the guise of putting down rebellion. It did this while its very own capital was under threat for the forces of the Sultan. The Turks were turned back - by the efforts of a small Austrian garrison, the Serbs and the British Royal Navy. It would have been easier if the "mighty armies of Russia" had lent their military force to that of ours, but despite having a common border, the Tsar choose to stand on the sidelines and let other nations fight his battles.
    Now - with France in turmoil, Austria decides to pull its troops out of France to face a non existent threat from the Turks - where is the sense in that? As France needs the help of the great nations of Europe England will not turn their back on them, unlike Austria. Even now my forces are mobilising to intervene in Western France to work with the forces of the French king to restore order to this land. But my forces will not rape the land, look for spoils and seek huge levels of payment for doing their duty. Once the job is done - and the sooner the better - we will return to England and hand over France to the French.
    I urge the Tsar to match his words with actions - send troops or money to help put down this rebellion - your failure to do so will expose that your true cause is to let Europe plunge into chaos while you sit on the sidelines waiting to pick up the pieces.

I am startled to see that Lord Liverpool accuses Austria of the exact same crime it is committing now. If you want to restore order, then why wait for Austria's failure? Why not commit at the very beginning. Lord Liverpool has always wanted one goal, and that is confusion and chaos in Europe. Chaos so Britain can take away the lands of innocents as she has done in Morraco. The fact is that England wanted Austria to fail, fanned the dangerous flames of revolution in Serbia and has violated the sovereignty of countless countries. I ask who is more of a danger to Europe?

We would also want to note that our army is tied up policing against the revoloutionary danger in Poland and is also in the process of being down sized. Also the distance between France and Russia is to great for Russia to make any practicable effects in the aid to France.
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 02-22-2009 at 09:29. Reason: small grammer nit picking
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

No, Savoy is still missing!

Blog Entries

Sardinia is inactive I think Fran. I think we should press on without him. I don't think he logged in for a long while.

Edit: Hasn't posted since 1-10-2009. I think we should open his spot up and go on without him this chapter. I think my last PM from him was a day or two afterwards, so he been gone a few weeks now.
    Last edited by ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88; 02-04-2009 at 20:50.

Blog Entries

allow me to take sardinia, i assume they will be more of a challenge than the ottomans yes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 777Ares777 View Post
    allow me to take sardinia, i assume they will be more of a challenge than the ottomans yes?

Ottomans are in my opinion, but Sardinia is to!

Well it depends, what will you give mother Russia?
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 02-05-2009 at 01:04.
    -Stephen Crane

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    Well it depends, what will you give mother Russia?
    A knife in the back perhaps?

Blog Entries

Can't wait for the chapter!

Allowed!
    If you are able to play high density and send me your decisions until Saturday!

Please note, that the pleasant days are over and that trouble will begin as soon as I release the next chapter!

Blog Entries

I guess now is the time to read the rules Ares

Blog Entries

Now, everything is in I believe. Now we wait a few days....

Hey, we received the proce for the best InterActive! Thanx to all!
    I used to think thing that noone liked this one.

I want to thank all players! This encourageges me to write even longer chapters!

By the way, if everything goes wright, next one could be out at the weekend!

Blog Entries

I love your long chapters Fran, it keeps me busy!

This is one of the best IH's I been in !

Lord Liverpool wishes to announce that he is taking a well earned sojurn in the rural delights of the English Countryside, and, as such, will be diplomatically incommunicado for the next week.....

or to put it another way....

I am offline for a week due to me going on holiday!!

Chapter 5 – June 1819 to May 1820

On July 3rd, Prussia passes stringent laws against freedom of press. Police closes several publishing houses.

July 8th; under the pressure of the mob the Pope gives a new constitution. Actually he lays the political power into the hands of Roman patrician. The concessions of the Pope raise the pressure on the other Italian rulers. Within a month, Parma, Modena, Lucca and Tuscany have to give in and hand the power over to the people.

July 24th, King Frederick William III, addresses an audience:
    'Dear citzens of Eastern Prussia,
    With the growing ideals of independance, we urge many to turn away from it. It is damaging and foolish idea to consider. This region has seen growth and prosperity Poland never gave you. We treat you like full citizens, and you make a true living. While you are allowed freedom of speech, we will harshly punish any of those who speak of independance from Prussia. We promise you no help will come from Poland itself, and we will fight savagely to uphold the peace here, and the absolute prosperity.

Any citizen who breaks such peace will be arrested and brought to trial in Berlin. Any uprising shall be dealt with coldly and mercilessly. We do not warn, but plead you turn away from such talk.'
    In the aftermath of this speech, forces of the Home Office arrests hundreds of Polish nationalists. They are taken to court at Berlin.

July 26th; Kaiser Franz I dismisses the Austrian minister of finance. Controls had shown that he had embezzled millions of talers. Metternich announces new taxes to finance the war in France. He also introduces new tariffs on cloths and industrial produced goods.

July 27th, Polish police forces start an operation against bandits at Warsaw. Several hundreds of nationalist are arrested and newspapers are closed.

July 30th, Ferdinand I, King of the two Sicilies accepts a liberal constitution to end a putsch. This step ends the rebellion at Naples, but the riots at Palermo go on, as the habitants of the island want to leave the personal union with Naples.

On July, the Austrian expedition forces stop their advance against La Rochelle. Feldmarschall Schwartzenberg calls this corps back to Lyon. The other corps advances slowly along the River Rhone.

August 1st: Metternich announces a peace treaty with the Ottoman Empire. Although people in the eastern provinces are relieved, it is obvious that the Imperial Army had not been able to defend the country against a third rank Turkish army. Metternich visits the eastern provinces. He bows at the graves of the killed defenders of Bratislava and promises support to overcome the damages of the war.
    August 1st, Liverpool sets up a Parliamentary Commission to look into life of the working class with a mandate to bring legislation back to Parliament within the year. In particular the commission will look at regulation of children working.
    On August 2nd Hep-Hep riots start at the Bavarian town of Würzburg. Papers spread the news all over the country and the riots soon encroach on many big German towns, as well as Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Krakow, Prague, Graz and Vienna. These eruptions of communal violence aim for Jewish citizens. Many Jews were killed and much Jewish property was destroyed. Cause of the riots at Würzburg is the rumor, that a Jewish banker had bought former property of the church. Some Christians were furious about this desecration and blamed the Jews for the downfall of the church. Some commentators point at the fact, that the downfall of the medieval barriers and the new liberal rights for Jews gave them the opportunity for advancement and put them in competition with Christian businessmen. The riots may be caused by grudge and the wish, to get rid of rivals.
    The crowd threatens insults and mishandles Jews and attacks synagogues, stores and apartments. There are an unknown number of Jewish and gentile victims. Authorities hesitate and it takes several days until police and armed forces put an end to these riots.

August 5th, the French King Louis XVIII addresses a speech to his followers:
    “I thank ye for your loyalty to your rightful King. We shall make France glorious again! I know you might have some hard feelings towards Austria; they are only trying to assist us in our time of need. An agreement with Britain has been reached; the British will assist us along with the Austrians. Once the rebellion is over, the French people shall retain their administrative leadership rolls in our glorious nation.”

August: The Turks begin to build a telegraph line on the Balkans.

August 7th, Paris: the situation at the French capitol becomes high-explosive. The town is still under control of revolters, but there are also several thousand royalists approaching from north and west. It seems as if another bloodbath is inevitable.

August, 9th: Austrian troops under the command of the liberation wars veteran General Heinrich v. Bellegrade march from Milano southwards. The avantgarde of 4,000 men rushes through Toscany and reaches Rome on August 4th. These soldiers may be the toughest soldiers of the Austrian Empire, the most heinous ones they are certainly. They occupy the bridges of the river Tiber and control the town. This support makes the Holy Father withdraw his concessions. Austrian soldiers and catholic priests patrol through the town, arresting and mistreating republicans.

August 12th, the Russian government decides to reduce the strength of the Russian Army.

August 13th, the French King Louis arbitrates between the royalists and the republicans. He manages to prevent fighting, at least for the moment.
    August 13th: The news from Rome outrages the Italians. Volunteers form militias to support the citizens of Rome against the treachery pope. 10,000 regular soldiers and 20,000 militia march from Naples to Rome. On the march, the call for an Italian republic is getting stronger.

August 14th, Austria enlists new recruits.

August 15th, the Royal Prussian Mining Company signs a treaty with the Ottoman Empire.

On August 16th a crowd of 60,000 to 80,000 gathers at a meeting to demand the reform of parliamentary representation, on St. Peter’s Field, Manchester. Chronic economic depression, particularly among textile weavers and spinners coupled with the lack of suffrage in northern England, had enhanced the appeal of political radicalism. Shortly after the meeting began, local magistrates called on the military authorities to arrest Henry Hunt, a leader of the Manchester Patriotic Union, and several others on the hustings with him, and to disperse the crowd. Cavalry charged into the crowd with sabres drawn, and in the ensuing confusion, 15 people were killed and 400–700 were injured.

One of the casualties, Oldham cloth-worker and ex-soldier John Lees, who died from his wounds on 7 September, had been present at the Battle of Waterloo. Shortly before his death he says to a friend that he had never been in such danger as at Peterloo: "At Waterloo there was man to man but there it was downright murder.” When news of the massacre begins to spread, the population of Manchester and surrounding districts are horrified and outraged. This is the first public meeting at which journalists from a number of important, distant newspapers are present and, within a day or so of the event, accounts are published as far away as London, Leeds and Liverpool. The London and national papers shares the horror felt in the Manchester region, and the feeling of indignation throughout the country becomes intense. The name "Peterloo" is coined immediately by the radical Manchester Observer, combining the name of the meeting place, St Peter's Field, with the Battle of Waterloo fought four years earlier.

August 20th, during the negotiations at Paris King Louis promises to introduce a constitutional monarchy. In return, the rebels agree to end the riot. However, there are different views of what a constitutional monarchy is. While royalists think of a constitution, given by the King, which gives only little power to the people, republicans think of a constitution given by the people that leaves only little power in the hands of the monarch. Future will tell how the King deals with this differences in view.

August 28th, General Bellegard reaches Rome with the rest of his corps. The Austrians have now 16,000 soldiers to protect the Vatican.
    September 1st, the King of Prussia warns all agitators. Authorities will not tolerate fomentation any longer.

On September, the Austrian forces capture Avignon. Schwartzenberg stops here to prepare his corps for the final assault of the center of the rebellion, Marseille. At Avignon, there are about 40,000 Austrian soldiers plus several thousand French royalists. The second Austrian corps with about 48,000 gathers around Lyon. During September, 8,000 soldiers from Bavaria and Württemberg arrive to replace the Austrian garrison as well as additional 8,000 from Savoy. The Austrian corps leaves and marches to Savoy. Before it goes, the captured leaders of the rebellion are executed according the wish of the French king. However, the Austrian commander waits in vain for the reinforcement promised by the French King.
    Around Marseille, about 300,000 rebels prepare to defend the town and the republic against the Imperial army. However, many peasants leave the army and return to their fields for the harvest.

September 14th, Prussia announces the introduction of a new election system. All those paying taxes shall be allowed to have an equal vote for the next parliament. Conservative politicians criticize this as unjust, as the voting system does not reflect the earnings of the gentry. Liberals complain, that the reform does not go far enough, as the King does not give any rights to the parliament.

September 19th, the Czar introduces high tariffs on cloths and industrial products.

October 21st, the republican forces from Naples reach Rome. The Pope and his Austrian defenders withdraw into the Vatican and the Castle Sant’Angelo. The Italians proclaim the ‘Republic of Rome’. The Italians are about 18,000 regulars and 30,000 volunteers, the Austrian General commands 16,000 Austrian soldiers and about 4,000 soldiers of the Swiss Guard. Both sides prepare for the battle.
    November 11th, the Silesian weavers attack branch offices of their central agents. Berlin sends soldiers to restore order.

November 16th, a new Austrian army is build up at Italy under the command of General Warman. Its strength reaches 46,000 men, many veterans from the French campaign but also new recruits. Warman would like to support Bellegard at Rome, but he needs time to organize his army. Half of his men are untrained, supply and equipment is coming slowly from Austria. Furthermore, the attitude of the local habitants is becoming more and more hostile.
    During December, the Russian army transfers several divisions from the Caucasus and the Black Sea district to the border of Poland.

December 14th, English sailors report of growing piracy in the Street of Malacca.

December 16th, General Warman divides his army into two. He personally leads 20,000 proven men south to relief Bellegard. The rest stays in Northern Italy to secure these provinces. The soldiers fortify the cities of Venice and Milan.

December 18th, Wellington is appointed new supreme of the East India Company.

December, Bellegard has still no contact with the Austrian forces in Northern Italy. As he sees the numbers of enemies growing day by day, he decides to sally and to bring about a decision. During night his troops leave the town unseen and take a stand at the Sabini Mountains north east of Rome. In the morning hours, the republicans start prosecution. Their columns approach the Sabini Mountains from the Roman Campagna. At noon the republican forces are ready for combat.
    At one o’clock in the afternoon of December 24th, the Italians start assaulting the Austrian lines. However, the advance is stopped by strong fire from the Austrian batteries. The Italians retreat and try to silence the Austrian guns with their own artillery. During this duel of guns a division of grenadiers from Naples bypasses the Austrian position and attacks the left wing of Bellegard’s army and inflicts high casualties. The Italian general sends his cavalry to exploit the situation. The Austrian infantry flees and Bellegard has to send his reserves as well as his cavalry division. The Austrian hussars, uhlans and dragons bounce against the Italian cavalry. Badly outnumbered, the Italian cavaliers turn to flight and now the passage is free for the Austrian troopers to attack the flank of the Italian infantry. The Italians abort and return to their starting positions. The Austrian cavalry chases them until they are in range of the Austrian guns. Until dusk, both sides start minor assaults, but no side risks a major offense. In the evening, the Italian commander learns about the approach of the Austrian relief army and decides to break up the battle. In the morning, the Italian camp is empty; the republican army leaves the Roman Campagna and marches towards Naples. On December 25th, the Pope, accompanied by the Austrian forces, enters Rome again. The ‘Roman Republic’ is over. During the Battle of the “Sabini Mountains” the Austrian lost 7,000 men, while the republicans left about 12,000 on the battle ground.

December 31st, the news of the republican defeat creates unrest in Northern Italy. There are anti-Austrian demonstrations at Torino, Milan, Savoy, Nice and Venice, suppressed forcibly by Austrian and Sardinian soldiers.

Rest of chapter is coming soon!

Lord Liverpool, take care! Countryside could turn to be dangerous!!
    Last edited by Franconicus; 02-13-2009 at 17:31.

Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast