Thread: If the record companies are interested in preventing people from stealing...

Default If the record companies are interested in preventing people from stealing...

Then why the hell don't they stop the people who buy up a bunch of concert tickets so they can sell them again at triple cost at the black market? They're actually making money by exploiting the artists. Pirates don't, and yet they spend billions in trying to stop them? And piracy is near impossible to stop, but the black market should be very easy to stop - just make it so the name of the buyer is written on the ticket, and only that guy is allowed to actually use it. No problem at all!

And yes, I'm very frustrated that all 23.000 tickets for the AC/DC concert was sold out in 70 minutes and I didn't get one.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Default Re: If the record companies are interested in preventing people from stealing...

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post

And yes, I'm very frustrated that all 23.000 tickets for the AC/DC concert was sold out in 70 minutes and I didn't get one.
    Don't worry, you'll be able to snag one I'm sure, probably at no more than 3 times the original cost.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Default Re: If the record companies are interested in preventing people from stealing...

Then why the hell don't they stop the people who buy up a bunch of concert tickets so they can sell them again at triple cost at the black market? They're actually making money by exploiting the artists. Pirates don't, and yet they spend billions in trying to stop them? And piracy is near impossible to stop, but the black market should be very easy to stop - just make it so the name of the buyer is written on the ticket, and only that guy is allowed to actually use it. No problem at all!

it is ilegal over here....not there????

as for the printing the name of the buyer on the ticket I´m not sure that would be practical....if you are buying the tickets in a ticket office this would delay the operation, and what if you´re buying tickets for a large group of people?....

over here only when you buy tickets online do they come with your name printed...and even then I have never seen the name on the ticket being checked against the people using it.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Then why the hell don't they stop the people who buy up a bunch of concert tickets so they can sell them again at triple cost at the black market? They're actually making money by exploiting the artists.
    Uhm, that makes no sense at all, the artists aren't being exploited, stupid/rich people willing to pay three times as much are but that is their own decision. The black market does not circumvent the first sale where the artists earn their money, the pirates do. There is no problem with reselling IMO, as long as you buy one and sell that one you bought.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Is it the recording companies that finance and promote tours and live performances? I thought separate outfits did that.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Is it the recording companies that finance and promote tours and live performances? I thought separate outfits did that.
    I believe that the record companies do that, probably for publicity purposes.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    I believe that the record companies do that, probably for publicity purposes.
    My bad, then. I just don't remember seeing "Sony Inc presents...."; rather, I've seen "Jokester Productions, in association with BigShow Touring Company, presents.... ; get your tickets at....".

I just wondered if HoreTore was barking at the wrong folks about live performances/concert events.

Over here, "scalping" (selling pre-bought tickets at inflated prices) is illegal - though common.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Then why the hell don't they stop the people who buy up a bunch of concert tickets so they can sell them again at triple cost at the black market?
    If someone is willing to buy them...
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

That scalping wouldn't work if noone bought the tickets and them scalpers would have spent a lot of money and sit in an almost empty concert with 100 seats reserved for each. They wouldn't try that again I think.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Don't worry, you'll be able to snag one I'm sure, probably at no more than 3 times the original cost.
    I actually found two tickets for the concert in New York.... Temptation, temptation...

But reality kicked me and made me realize that I still have an apartment to get and furniture to buy, so this might not be the best time to blow 15k NOK(3k USD?) on a concert trip... Stupid reality. Still hoping to get one for the norwegian concert though, it probably won't be over 3-400 USD, and that's well within my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    it is ilegal over here....not there????

as for the printing the name of the buyer on the ticket I´m not sure that would be practical....if you are buying the tickets in a ticket office this would delay the operation, and what if you´re buying tickets for a large group of people?....
    It's illegal, but people still do it. Big time. And the music industry doesn't seem to care too much.

As for your two points, well, first off, "nobody" buys tickets at a ticket office anymore. This is the internet age damnit. Secondly, no, buying in large groups would still be possible, all you would need to do is have a system where one guy buys, and gives the names of all the others who are getting the tickets. That would still stop the black market, as they don't know the names of their buyers, and allow you to buy tickets for groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Uhm, that makes no sense at all, the artists aren't being exploited, stupid/rich people willing to pay three times as much are but that is their own decision. The black market does not circumvent the first sale where the artists earn their money, the pirates do. There is no problem with reselling IMO, as long as you buy one and sell that one you bought.
    It's called "taking money for other people's hard work", and generally not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post

I just wondered if HoreTore was barking at the wrong folks about live performances/concert events.
    Yeah that might be, I'm just pissed I didn't get my ticket

You're free to change "record company" to "music industry"
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Here its illegal and you can be sentenced 30 days of arrest.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust