Thread: Steve Jobs' War on Buttons Claims Another Victim

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Question Steve Jobs' War on Buttons Claims Another Victim

Steve Jobs really, really hates buttons. Check out the new Macbook Pro:

Literally no buttons. You just tap on the trackpad. Freaky, eh? Maybe he was hurt by a button as a child and carries the grudge until the end of days. Maybe a button killed his brother. Who knows?

Why does he hate buttons so much?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Steve Jobs' War on Buttons Claims Another Victim

What if you want to both jump and shoot?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

And I positively LOVE buttons.

Big, shiny, happy buttons.

That keyboard is the exact opposite of what I prefer. Been using this Logitech G15 keyboard for the past.. 3-4 years or so, absolutely love it (I am a Logitech product whore, fwiw). Before that, I had an old IBM Model M with the spring loaded keys that I salvaged from the rubbish bin at work and refurbished. Actually I've got about 6 of them that I've saved and nursed back to health. When the G15 bites the dust or wears out on me, I'm going back to that clickety goodness.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    That keyboard is the exact opposite of what I prefer. Been using this Logitech G15 keyboard for the past.. 3-4 years or so, absolutely love it (I am a Logitech product whore, fwiw). Before that, I had an old IBM Model M with the spring loaded keys that I salvaged from the rubbish bin at work and refurbished. Actually I've got about 6 of them that I've saved and nursed back to health. When the G15 bites the dust or wears out on me, I'm going back to that clickety goodness.

I've got a couple of those IBM monstrosities in my closet gathering dust too. They just don't make keyboards like that anymore.

To the OP, every laptop that I've used in recent memory allows tapping the touchpad in place of clicks. But they also have normal buttons for people who prefer those (I find myself using both). That's one thing I never liked about Apple, they love taking away options- they know their way is best, so why on earth would you want to click a button... or right click.... or use a floppy disk....

So yeah, Steve Jobs hates freedom.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 10-16-2008 at 21:06.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    And I positively LOVE buttons.

Big, shiny, happy buttons.

Refurbished IBM Model M keyboard? Is this yours?

I'm sure at some point, Jobs' wish is to make a Mac with no keyboard, just a touchscreen interface like the iPhone.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Lemur, you might want to go and have a play with the new MacBooks. The trackpad is in fact, entirely a button.

The tap to click function is not a tap like most pads, but a press. It moves and clicks. You can configure the pad to perform other tasks - for example, the default is that pressing the lower right corner gives a right-click/contextual menu.

There's a whole range of finger gestures that bring real usuability to the trackpad. It's quite a technical feat. I'm one who has always liked an external mouse rather than the trackpad, but I can see myself using one of these on its own.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

I still miss the machine lever action of typwriters. It was awesome. Bukowski said it was the sound of creation.

I used to have this sears suitcase typewriter when I was a kid... sort of the notebook version of those things. I swear it weighed 25 pounds easy. I bought it for like 3-5 bucks at a garage sale.

All these dag blasted monitors and new fangled things... like them thar ball point pens.

Of course, I actually had a computer before I had the typewriter.... but still, it was a TRS-80 that pluged into the TV, and how much basic does a kid really want to program?

My kingdom for a .

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    Lemur, you might want to go and have a play with the new MacBooks. The trackpad is in fact, entirely a button.

The tap to click function is not a tap like most pads, but a press. It moves and clicks. You can configure the pad to perform other tasks - for example, the default is that pressing the lower right corner gives a right-click/contextual menu.

There's a whole range of finger gestures that bring real usuability to the trackpad. It's quite a technical feat. I'm one who has always liked an external mouse rather than the trackpad, but I can see myself using one of these on its own.
    Say BG can you do a better job at talking sense into me next time? Gawd this thing is sexy.

Can someone please give me a reason why it's better to stick to the old model?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Say BG can you do a better job at talking sense into me next time? Gawd this thing is sexy.
    I really tried. I really, really tried. Just a couple of weeks' wait and see the goodness you were due for.

Can someone please give me a reason why it's better to stick to the old model?
    Not me. The graphics upgrade alone is worth it, let alone the unibody looks. And that trackpad is just altogether necessary and delicious.

I'm upgrading my MacBook Air in November when the new ones are shipped. (And the great thing is, Steve is paying. Last week I bought AAPL when it nose-dived to 88 on unsubstantiated rumours and within a day it bounced back to 117. Happy days ).
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

DAMN. Fingerprints on glass sucks for example, poorer batterylife because of the 500% increase of graphical performance anything DAMN DAMN DAMN. I am really happy with my macbook but the best thing ever just became the second best thing ever now I will need the latest I-phone to prevent me from jumping. Which will only break my legs because I live on the second floor.

edit, ps, is there a way of increasing the amount of trackpad gestures, they be cool as ****
    Last edited by Fragony; 10-17-2008 at 13:44.

DAMN. Fingerprints on glass sucks for example, poorer batterylife because of the 500% increase of graphical performance anything DAMN DAMN DAMN. I am really happy with my macbook but the best thing ever just became the second best thing ever now I will need the latest I-phone to prevent me from jumping. Which will only break my legs because I live on the second floor.
    The trackpad is glass, but only to the feel. It looks like aluminium, feels like silk. No fingerprints to be left.

The battery life is still reported to be good - headlined at five hours, but reviewers are saying one gets four and half with careful use and three with heavy video etc use.

edit, ps, is there a way of increasing the amount of trackpad gestures, they be cool as ****
    Not on your model, as far as I know.
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Wink Re: Steve Jobs' War on Buttons Claims Another Victim

Why do I get the feeling you are quite enjoying this, hope you break your airbook in a way your inssurance doesn't cover. A natural disaster for example.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

I don't like apple... they think they can choose what's better for me...
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter