Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you play too much EB when...

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

Default Re: You know you play too much EB when...

Quote Originally Posted by Hasdrubal455 View Post
    Guilty.

When you prove the teacher is wrong when they say the Macedonians (no, Makedonians) had hoplites and tell the class the entire Greek names of all Hellenic troops. and the different Roman troops' names.

Taxeis Hoplitai
    Taxeis Phalangitai
    Prodomoi
    Phalangitai
    Toxotai
    etc.

Rorarii
    Hastati
    Principes
    Triarii
    Equites Romani etc. etc.

GUILTY! I deserve to be shot
    guity, your teacher deserves to be shot.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

dude, if i were the teacher, i'd skin u ages ago.... >_>

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

man, I'm really guilty of correct pronunciation. We're studying Antigone in school and I can't help but pronounce the characters' names in Classical Greek and write their names in greek on the corner of my study guides because I'm bored. Every time someone pronounces "Polynices" with a soft 'c', I get a bit annoyed inside...why did the Romans replace the K with the C? If they didn't, everything'd be SO much simpler. (Then again, why'd the Greeks start writing left to right when its ancestor (Phoenician) and sister alphabets wrote right to left? Look where that's gotten us now!)

Because it might be annoying to 'normal' people IRL, I'm trying to reform this...gah! I said 'reform!' It's hopeless!
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 10-25-2008 at 03:13.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

You're kidding, right?! We were just reading the Three Theban Plays in Classical Literature!
    Our teacher has a habit of correcting our pronounciations as well.

"Did you just say Cray-on? It's Cree-on. Did you just say O-edipus? It's Ed-ipus. Did you just say Thee-bees? It's Theebes. Did you just say Anti-gone? It's Antigonee."

You get the idea.

[AN-TEE-GOH-NAY] is more like it, but you're really only able to pronounce it if you know a Centum language outside of the Germanic family.

I couldn't help laughing when a classmate said "Argonian" (It's 'Argive', and my teacher knew that as well). There are two Hellenic (ok, Greek) people in my English class (one was actually born in Hellas - ok, Greece), but they speak Modern Greek, which is like Modern English to Middle English (not earlier, as there were no Norman/French loanwords at that point)

Another funny thing is the stupid upsilon translation - it's like a german u (with two dots over it, as in uber), but the Romans made 'y' for the purpose of translating Y (Greek Upsilon), but they couldn't pronounce the letter, and y evolved to its modern use, the /j/ sounds (like in German 'Jungen'). Ah, stupid Latinization problems.
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 10-25-2008 at 03:45.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

"To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

...when u are asking questions and modding factions in the game. Even though u don't have time to play it, and the campaign you are playing now has no involvement what so ever in the modding you are making.

(I am adding Gaesatae back to the provinces where they used to be for the Aedui and Arverni in 1.0, and my current campaign is with Backtria! And I haven't played EB in 4 days.)
    Last edited by NeoSpartan; 10-25-2008 at 06:13.

I haven't played EB in 4 days.
    How do you do it?
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 10-25-2008 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    How do you do it?
    do what? do the modding... or manage to NOT play in 4days

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

I haven't played in 5 weeks :cries:
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 10-25-2008 at 22:15.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Prefect of Judea (former) Member Pontius Pilate's Avatar

You know you play too much when the people in your dreams start moving as if in one unit and have little green arrows under their feet. (guilty)
    SPQR SPQR

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

LS is the best! LS is the best! Come on people sing along!!

When you set up a swords-only Halo 3 match and have both teams line up and charge each other while screaming Celtic warcries.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

ARgARRAAHHAHHA!!!! Remove your sig Pontius, or you shall be the first poster ever to enter my ignore list.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Seriously? What is wrong with my sig? Oh let me guess....Lorica Segmenta?
    SPQR SPQR

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Maybe so, but it is mostly the picture. Or at least that's what I'm guessing General Appo is talking about. Having large to medium sized pictures for a signature is strongly discouraged and sometimes forbidden. Some of the people viewing these forums might still have dial-up, and that would severely hamper their loading times.

Lorica Segementata, btw, is considered to be of lower quality than lorica hamata. Many historians say LS was made to fill the loss of equipment during the Battle of Teutoburg Forest.

when you cant bear to see the sight of LS
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left."
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Maybe so, but it is mostly the picture. Or at least that's what I'm guessing General Appo is talking about. Having large to medium sized pictures for a signature is strongly discouraged and sometimes forbidden. Some of the people viewing these forums might still have dial-up, and that would severely hamper their loading times.

Lorica Segementata, btw, is considered to be of lower quality than lorica hamata. Many historians say LS was made to fill the loss of equipment during the Battle of Teutoburg Forest.

okay I'm swapping out the picture right now, might take a few minutes though. Wait could you explain to me how lorica hamata is superior to lorica segmenta? Isn't LS a type of plate armor? Hamata can't be better than LS when up against every type of weapon right?
    SPQR SPQR

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Advantages of Lorica Hamata over Lorica Segmentata:
    • If offered much better coverage - segmentata does not protect groin, armpits, thighs, etc; coverage was the greatest problem of LS
    • There were a lot of problems with LS, especially the plates falling apart due to the unreliable fastenings
    • One size fit almost all of the recruits
    • It required less ongoing maintenance, less tools, and much fewer spare parts
    • It was more comfortable and more flexible although heavier
    • It had a much longer lifespan - being able to serve many more successive recruits.
    • One could slit a dagger under the plates of LS - LH was impervious to daggers

Otherwise, LS seemed to be better at protecting blows. Despite this fact, for some reason most experts tend to say that LH is better.

Anyway, but spoiler tags over your Gladiator picture - I doubt you're allowed a picture that large. Also, its Roma Victrix - Roma is feminine.

EDIT: Wait, that's not from Gladiator, is it? Is it from the HBO Rome?
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 10-26-2008 at 02:19.

Anyway, but spoiler tags over your Gladiator picture - I doubt you're allowed a picture that large. Also, its Roma Victrix - Roma is feminine.

EDIT: Wait, that's not from Gladiator, is it? Is it from the HBO Rome?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is from HBO Rome, episode #1. Great series by the way. Wait my picture is still too big? How do I put spoiler tags around it?

MY EDIT: never mind I found out how to do spoilers tags.
    Last edited by Pontius Pilate; 10-26-2008 at 02:40.
    SPQR SPQR

Quote Originally Posted by Majd il-Romani View Post
    when you cant bear to see the sight of LS
    Well-played, sir!

-Glee
    Sheer musical genius: Gould on Mozart

Balloons: ("Welcome to EB" from T.A.)

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    When you set up a swords-only Halo 3 match and have both teams line up and charge each other while screaming Celtic warcries.
    you're kidding me right?

I would like soo much to be on that game
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

• If offered much better coverage - segmentata does not protect groin, armpits, thighs, etc; coverage was the greatest problem of LS
    • There were a lot of problems with LS, especially the plates falling apart due to the unreliable fastenings
    • It had a much longer lifespan - being able to serve many more successive recruits.

Otherwise, LS seemed to be better at protecting blows. Despite this fact, for some reason most experts tend to say that LH is better.
    I heard that Roman Scaled Armor (lorica Squamata iirc ) was actually better than both LS and LH

but back ontopic you know you play too much when you have a life-sized working ballista on your roof
    when you join the army and fight nude
    Last edited by Majd il-Romani; 10-26-2008 at 04:51.
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

EDIT: Wait, that's not from Gladiator, is it? Is it from the HBO Rome?
    OH sh*t here we go again

No we don´t.

Pontius, I don´t give a rats ass how big a sig you´ve got, it´s the LS that bugs me. Bugs the hell out me in fact.
    Your second pic...lovely. First one...ugh.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Unhinged Celtophile Member Aodhan's Avatar

You know that you have played to much EB when you order the construction of Oppida walls around your half acre lot, when you plan a raid on the neighboring houses for slaves, and finally when you start demanding ransom from your “Civilized” neighbors.
    Last edited by Aodhan; 10-26-2008 at 08:31.

NeoSpartan: OH sh*t here we go again

General Appo Re: No we don´t.

Pontius, I don´t give a rats ass how big a sig you´ve got, it´s the LS that bugs me. Bugs the hell out me in fact.
    Your second pic...lovely. First one...ugh.
    Amazing how a piece of armor can tick you off so much General.
    And such a lovely piece of armor too.... -I'm kidding, I'll stop with the LS, I mean talking about it. Unfortunately the picture has to stay.
    SPQR SPQR

Seriously man, LS just look so...toyish. It doesn´t look like real armour, it look like something from a really bad Star Trek episode. LH looks like a real armour, and it looks really Roman too.
    It´s not just that LS is so extremely overused by Hollywood and everyone like that, I´ve just always thought LS looked wrong, long before I learned that it actually was pretty wrong in a sense.
    The Appomination

When you flank your school headmaster when you didn't arrive at school in time.
    When you try to charge the other vehicles while staying in heavy traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by General Appo View Post
    Seriously man, LS just look so...toyish. It doesn´t look like real armour, it look like something from a really bad Star Trek episode. LH looks like a real armour, and it looks really Roman too.
    It´s not just that LS is so extremely overused by Hollywood and everyone like that, I´ve just always thought LS looked wrong, long before I learned that it actually was pretty wrong in a sense.
    you play too much eb when you develop this attitude to a simple set of armor...
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    -Abraham Lincoln
    -Abraham Lincoln

You know you play too much EB when you actually care.

Quote Originally Posted by Majd il-Romani View Post
    you play too much eb when you develop this attitude to a simple set of armor...
    You play too little when you don´t.
    The Appomination

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast