Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reverend Joe's Official Rock and Roll Thread

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Default The Rock and Roll Train: Reverend Joe's Officila Rock n' Roll thread

DISCLAIMER: I am an amateur who doesn't know **** about music, theory or otherwise, and who doesn't play any instruments. Therefore take all recommendations on your own terms and with a grain of salt; I just know what sounds good to me.

Yeah, I'm starting a thread for all my music posts; the individual ones are too messy and disappear too fast for my liking.

I will update basically whenever I feel like it, which could be a few times a week or once a month. It all depends. I will also sometimes recap bands I have already covered in the older threads, so forgive any repetition, but I want to try to consolidate my musical preaching as much as possible. Also, I will use Myspace to refer bands because, despite the fact that one person has complained that they "h8" Myspace's music player, it's still the easiest way to give everyone free samples of their studio sounds. Plus you can always just use Myspace to find their home page.

I'm gonna start with at least one recap because I feel like he deserves it, as well as several similar artists, the focus here being 70's style Metal-rock.

Firebird: the star of the show today. I would like to hear what someone who knows anything about music thinks of these guys, but I am sure they are something special. Firebird is a turn-of-the-70's rock band that sounds like they could have opened for Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple, but they also have a distinct sound that sets them apart from their stylistic counterparts. Bill Steer, the guitarist and vocalist, is the center of Firebird, as the rest of the power trio consists of a rotating cast of his friends from other bands who work with Steer in-between obligations. It's this shifting backing band, however, that proves to me that Steer is a gifted musician, as the sound is remarkably steady from album to album; the main differences are stylistic: the first album is definitely early 70's rock, but the third (No. 3) leans more towards the late 60's and the (slightly) softer 70's, and the fourth (Hotwings) is just heavy-duty blues-rock. Apparently Steer is going to be working with a previous metal band for a while, so it could be a while until another Firebird album, if another is indeed forthcoming; and trust me, it would be a shame if Firebird ends. They're my favorite band right now.
    Edit: Firebird live. Just because I am really digging them right now.

Year Long Disaster: louder and meaner than Firebird, and not really as good despite being better known. More of a late 70's/early 80's sound, and the lyrics are distinctly threatening at times; nevertheless they are a solid rock band; dig "Leda Atomica" as a good example (and as a good example of "borrowing" another song -- I'll be damned if the lyrics don't sound just like "Gimme Shelter." Nothing exactly new, though.)

Gentleman's Pistols: definitely the worst band here; I'm including them because they still provide an entertaining sound, if not exactly a musical masterpiece. The riffs, after all, aren't all that bad. Their attitude reminds me of Def Leppard and AC/DC, although the sound is more 70's. They are, by far, the fastest, loudest band in this collection. "Widowmaker" is most representative of their sound, as well as being one of the two highlights on their first album, the other being "Mistress Mistrust" (not represented here, but you can find it live on Youtube.)

Witchcraft: definitely the most interesting band today; they draw from an era of music which I am entirely unfamiliar with (70's Swedish metal) but the sound on their latest album, The Alchemist, is more diversified than on previous albums. The sound on The Alchemist is absolutely perfect: it's definitely 70's metal, but it doesn't try to destroy you with pounding walls of noise; it's actually fairly quiet and easy-going. A great smoking album.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 10-22-2008 at 04:51.

Default Re: Reverend Joe's Official Rock and Roll Thread

Dunno how many people are reading (much less caring about) this thread so far, but I'm an optimist.

I'm gonna do another recap, especially since an Indie band thread just appeared; note that these guys are not "typical" Indie rock, but they were on independant labels up until recently. Now, though, they have their own studio, and they are even helping other small-time bands out by recording them in their studio.

The Black Keys.

Probably already somewhat well-known around here, and for good reason. I once heard them described as a "B-side White Stripes," but that's really not a fair comparison; though the bands have some similarities, I like the Black Keys a lot more, and frankly, Dan Auerbach is a much better guitarist than Jack White.

Up until their latest album, they were a Blues-rock band in the purest sense; I have really not heard any other band that has made me think "Blues-rock" more than the Black Keys. They were damn good at it too. But after four albums of basically the same music, they seem to have grown tired of the same old sound, and their fifth album is worlds away from anything they have done before. It's a sort of weird psychedelic blend of blues-rock and unusual rap stylings, the result of their producer Danger Mouse.

If the stranger stuff doesn't strike your fancy, though, they still have four albums of solid rockin' music. Do be aware, though, that the fourth album, Magic Potion, has a much cleaner sound than the previous three; whereas their first three albums are perfect for garage-rock fans, the fourth is really better suited to classic rockers who will appreciate the slicker sound.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I like the Black Keys, good band. Almost at my current Internet DL limit for this month so I can't check the others out at the moment.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Kasabian

I love their music, lots of variety...

"...and you will know us by the trail of the dead"

Splendid name, awesome music. From orchestral arragements all the way to groovy behind kickin´songs!

"The Arcade Fire"

One of my bands of the year in 2007. Very good and new ideas on both of their albums.
    Last edited by Subedei; 10-22-2008 at 08:37.
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Back with another band, this time a new one.

The Crack Pipes. Interesting name, I know, but a good group -- a surprisingly good group, in fact, considering what they named themselves after. The sound is a little hard to describe; they draw on punk, garage, rock n' roll and blues mainly. But what's best about the sound is its general range; no two records sound the same at all. You can still tell it's the Pipes on each record, but they all address a different combination of their roots. The website has a number of free songs under the "Music" section (just mouse over the church.)

Okay, just out of curiosity, how many people read this thread? Should I keep this up or not? I ask because this thread only has 55 views, whereas the average thread in the Frontroom has 2-300. It's a little disconcerting.

Okay, self-pity fest over. Time for another band. I think they're a respost, but it's been forever, si whatever.

Dollhouse. Don't be fooled by the name -- they're a heavy-duty Swedish MC5-style Soul-rock band. In fact, they're officially endorsed by the MC5. No joke: the official website is on the MC5's official website. Check it out.

Actually, on second thought, yeah, they're a repost; listening to them again, I remember that I was of the opinion then (and still am now) that they are in dire need of a keyboardist to take them to the next level. Every time they actually include an organ or piano, it proves my point: it just gives them that extra kick into a real rock-n-soul band.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

IM reading!
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

By all means, keep posting. It's especially great when you can link to samples or videos of the music you're talking about, 'cause talking about music is liky dancing about architecture.

Keep it up!

I like Firebird, managed to find their first (Firebird) and fourth (Hotwings) albums, but I can't find the other two.

Didn't like Year Long Disaster. Left a bad taste in my ears.

Gentleman's Pistols is not bad, easy to listen too, just doesn't have any of that, "Yeh!" factor.

Witchcraft is interesting, some good songs.

Dollhouse is awesome, picked up The Royal Rendezvous a few weeks back. Plus the fact the Bassist's name is Yoda Chrome.

With the The Crack Pipes do the the albums sound like the sample song(s), or are the samples atypical. Since I liked some of the songs but not all.
    #Hillary4prism

Glad to hear some peopelare following, even if it's just a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic View Post
    I like Firebird, managed to find their first (Firebird) and fourth (Hotwings) albums, but I can't find the other two.

Didn't like Year Long Disaster. Left a bad taste in my ears.

Gentleman's Pistols is not bad, easy to listen too, just doesn't have any of that, "Yeh!" factor.

Witchcraft is interesting, some good songs.

Dollhouse is awesome, picked up The Royal Rendezvous a few weeks back. Plus the fact the Bassist's name is Yoda Chrome.

With the The Crack Pipes do the the albums sound like the sample song(s), or are the samples atypical. Since I liked some of the songs but not all.
    If you can get to America's Amazon.com, the third Firebird album is available via download. Kinda different, but all their albums are.

YLD is kinda angry; can't blame you for not liking them.

As for the Crack Pipes, you really have to give them a go for an album or two. Their sound is very varied, even within their albums. Like I said, they draw on a lot of roots. Most likely, you will like most, but not all, of their songs on each album.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

You may enjoy Les Georges Leningrad.

My kingdom for a .

Vampire Weekend
    http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XC2mqcMMGQ

Kinda modern Peter Gabriel. Music that makes autumn more bareable.

Mr. Oberst sings some fine tunes with Bright Eyes...but who would have guessed he has running a splendid noise-rock band called Desaparecidos? They released a very good album called "Read Music / Speak Spanish" (Saddle Creek) in 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desaparecidos_(band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ7f...eature=related
    Last edited by Subedei; 11-04-2008 at 11:44.

Okay, I know it's probably a bad idea to feature a band after only listening to them for one day, but I'm gonna make an exception.

Edit: retracted, see below. I knew it was a bad idea.

StoneRider: a fairly new band, reformed from what was apparently a rather bad metal band, they play some of the best Southern hard rock I have ever heard. Not much else to say; they're just a really good hard-rockin' Southern band. Check out "Wild Child" and their cover of "Hair of the Dog" for some of their best work.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 11-30-2008 at 00:07.

I like, pretty raw sound. Not a bad song so far.
    #Hillary4prism

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Some great 70's band from the Netherlands with the great guitarist Jan akkermans is Focus. Some Progressive (mostly instrumental) Rock. Two of their best songs:
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=OznS7X9BOxs
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

Okay, I almost didn't say anything about this, but it's kinda weirding me out how much people are suggesting other bands to me. It's not that I'm offended; it's just that I thought this thread was for me to suggest bands to y'all, not the other way around. Now, don't get me wrong; I appreciate your enthusiasm. It's just that I would rather hear what you think of the bands I am suggesting.

Okay. enough pissing off my fans.

The Black Diamond Heavies. Bet you never heard of these guys before. They are a pretty strange band -- almost an industrial soul sound -- but they're one of my favorites. They have the energy and intensity of Wilson Pickett fronting the Stooges, and it;s all compressed into two crazy-ass dudes, one on drums and one on keyboards. The songs available on the Myspace, unless I am mistaken, are all from their latest album, which is more refined than their label debut; so if it isn't raw enough for you () then try looking them up on Youtube; their first album is even crazier. But the thing that really makes the band is their ability to pull off some of the best soul grooves I've ever heard; most notably, the 8-minute "All to Hell" and "Stitched in Sin" from the first album and "Bidin' my Time" from the second (and the last one comes complete with a kickass horn/sax section!) Definitely worth it.

Also, I now love ZZ Top. Just throwin' that out there.

Despite the singer's deep voice they sound too trebly, like what happened to MC5 in their second album. They need to throw in a handful of grit and bass. Looking at Youtube the singer's voice doesn't hold up live.

Edit: Stitched in Sin does have a good groove though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Also, I now love ZZ Top. Just throwin' that out there.
    Ha, what are you my dad?
    Last edited by naut; 11-18-2008 at 13:49.
    #Hillary4prism

Hello gentlemen,

I just posted this somewhere else, but well, here I go again!
    Bavarian band called "La Brass Banda"...all of them got a classical music education, a love for beer, lots of talent plus on stage they rock big time. Trumpet Lederhosen-hippies!

Saw them last week and it was one of the best concerts I ever attended. I think they are kind of "rock and roll"....so...enjoy...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_tm...eature=related
    Last edited by Subedei; 11-18-2008 at 21:14.

Okay, two things today.

One, I'm retracting my support for StoneRider. They weren't bad at first, but then I read a reviewer who insisted that if I listened to them and couldn't see a WWF wrestler body-slamming his opponent, I must be deaf; and now I can't get that image (and various other associated ones) out of my head every time I listen to them.

I despise people who can't appreciate bad music that is still entertaining. They do nothing but make life harder for us all.

Two, I'm gonna bring back another band; but this time I have a legitimate reason: they have released their second album, and it doesn't disappoint.

Buffalo Killers: No "The" for some reason, but I laways think of them as "The Buffalo Killers" anyway. They're a rather difficult band to explain, but if you can understand all the references, they are kind of like a 70's stoner rock version of The Band. They are an offshoot of the now-defunct "Thee Shams", including the primary writing team (the Gabbard Brothers) and their drummer. They're basically a beautiful Psych-Americana Rock band, and they remain one of my favorites at the moment, especially when a six-pack and a nice sunset are nearby.

Not much of them on Youtube, but their Myspace has more songs if you are interested or uncertain.

Hi preacher and all you fellow rockers,

It was probably destiny that brought me here, I saw the faint flickering light of rock-magic from far away... I have been slaugthering my way over here thru the eternal horde of hip-hop vermin ever since. Sorry for the mess outside thou. I’m a rock-warrior too, the order of St. Hendrix in case you guys are wondering, and I usually attend the electric church regularly, but I'm a long way from home and was wandering alone in the great wastes of hip-hop. Only with holy St.Hendrix as my guardian here, I saw the light and I needed to heal my wounds from the boring unispirered use of drum-machines, crappy rhymes and annoying samples with the magic sounds of solid rock and stratocasters....

Now as far as I checked things out here:

Firebird: I like. Solid and and possibly slowish rock and that won’t hurt anybody. Strike me as very traditional and old school. Good stuff essentially I think. I would not object if any would start playing the stuff I heard on the stereo (yes a stereo! The kind of thing that used to be around in the good ol’ days). “Hardened sole” was my favorite of the stuff I heard.

Year Long Disaster: Me also like, also like but I probably liked firebird more (at least of what I heard). They don’t seem to have the same nerve/”presence” as the Firebirds do. And there was some heavy metal traces there and I don’t like that at all. And the vocals are possibly slightly weaker than the Firebirds.

Gentleman's Pistols: Actually reminds me of the early days of Deep Purple when they had Rod Evans on vocals. Its quite ok and nice. No objections here. If I got nothing better to do I would see these guys live.

Witchcraft: Well, I don’t like. Too much pop-factor there (won't heal my wounds properly). If you are going to listen to Swedish rock from or inspired by the seventies, there is probably only one thing to bother with and that’s “NOVEMBER” there are several things on these guys over at “you tube”. Other stuff which sure is worthy of interest is guitarist Claes Yngvesson and SKY HIGH, particularly live (seen them live 6-7 times by now and I am always are happy for doing that). Also plenty of available clipps over at "you tube".

The Black Keys: well the tune “strange times” actually have a glam-rock-vibe to it thus my love for it slightly drops, but overall I still think it’s quite ok. “I got mine” is bit more Sabbath-ish (or possibly more adequately early Monster Magnet-ishy) oriented and I probably like that a little bit more, actually I like it straight up. The more rock-psycadelia there is the more happy I usually get.

DollHouse: I actually never heard of these guys. But I must admit that they play some straight on, old school rock. It’s quite nice and it’s rock alright. Not that heavy (I do like heavy) but raw and straight up rock. I’m actually surprised and positive about these guys. Very raw sound. And particularly good for Swedish standards in my book.

Stonerider: Well there is little problem with the rock it self here, its pretty straight forward but they also got those “heavy metal” influences that sure drags down my experience of it. If they could throw that out of the window and possibly get more powerful vocals then I would have little problems with these guys.

The Black Diamond Heavies: Its little unexpected here but its quite ok I think. It sure got charm. There is some real raw sound going there as well. I kind of like it, and these guys seems to fill a void since their style strikes me as unorthodox and different. It actually reminds me of Tom Waits “when he goes ogre”, If you all understand what I mean by that. Its quite cool I think.

Buffokillers: I heard two tracks of these guys, and I like those without any objections what so ever. Good stuff! These guys I would like to hear some more here! There are some Real 70’s influences there no doubt, almost a bit Uriah Heep sometimes but then that’s no quit right either, there is other things there as well…. No matter I like it and it is slow and sluggish – and I do love that fact. Good vocals that works well and some great phrasing too.

It's not that I'm offended; it's just that I thought this thread was for me to suggest bands to y'all, not the other way around. Now, don't get me wrong; I appreciate your enthusiasm. It's just that I would rather hear what you think of the bands I am suggesting.
    Well in that case rock-preacher, how about I suggest that you suggest to the rest of us to focus a bit on the magic chapters of “CLUTCH” (USA) in the holy scrolls of rock and roll...

(Just in case you might have missed out on these guys. Its one of the greatest powerhouses of rock still active in the world. Hard-ish, Heavy, massive and overwhelming. In short freaking excellent and obligatory to at least check out and form a opinion about. I don’t like much their earlier stuff but from the Album “Pure rock fury” (2001) they are just freaking outstanding. My fave Album is "Blast Tyrant" (2004). There is plenty of stuff on them over at you tube, just stay clear of the live stuff, the quality is awful. Stick to studio recordings.).

Well Reverend Joe, you got a good track-record going here, keep it up! I’ll stick around when I'm not busy killing hip-hop vermin....

- Cheers

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Well in that case rock-preacher, how about I suggest that you suggest to the rest of us to focus a bit on the magic chapters of “CLUTCH” (USA) in the holy scrolls of rock and roll...

(Just in case you might have missed out on these guys. Its one of the greatest powerhouses of rock still active in the world. Hard-ish, Heavy, massive and overwhelming. In short freaking excellent and obligatory to at least check out and form a opinion about. I don’t like much their earlier stuff but from the Album “Pure rock fury” (2001) they are just freaking outstanding. My fave Album is "Blast Tyrant" (2004). There is plenty of stuff on them over at you tube, just stay clear of the live stuff, the quality is awful. Stick to studio recordings.).
    I got Clutch's Transnational Speedway League ages ago, which I guess is what you don't like, but it's good stuff. They started as a local band around here. I never really got into their newer offerings, but that's just a style thing, but they are definitely under the radar and should be more well known.

Is Corrosion of Conformity still doing music? Good southern metal from Raleigh.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I got Clutch's Transnational Speedway League ages ago, which I guess is what you don't like, but it's good stuff. They started as a local band around here. I never really got into their newer offerings, but that's just a style thing, but they are definitely under the radar and should be more well known.

Is Corrosion of Conformity still doing music? Good southern metal from Raleigh.
    Hi there Drone,

With the risk of temporarily highjacking the good 'ol preachers rock thread here (sorry); yeah it pretty much what I was talking about. That stuff are above all hard, usually fast and screamy (actually it makes me think of Hardcore-band Helmet to some extent). I personally like it heavy, massive and slow and more melodious, which their later stuff sure are by comparison. Fallons excellent vocals don't really get the chance to do what he does best until Elephant riders possibly in my opinion (thou I missed out on the the '95 album). Then again diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. For me Clutch are primarily "Pure Rock Fury" and "Blast Tyrant" which I personally regard to be their best work to date. The other later albums like "Robot Hive" and "Beagle street"-thingie are great but not freaking excellent, if you understand what I mean. Regardless, I'll give Clutch any day....

I know, I know.... This is the preachers official opinion place so I'll shut up now. Again, sorry for the "Clutchamania" here reverend (but you really should check those guys out. And I would be delighted to read your opinion on 'em right here).

- Cheers
    ---------
    As for the CoC Drone, the only thing I know is that powerhouse and hardrock-band Down
    released their 3rd album in 2007 (very good I think) and one of those guys are otherwise
    active CoC when not playing with Down. I dont know any more than that.

Been a little while.

First, I don't really like "Clutch." Their songs are loud alright, but they're either too metal for me or they lack a certain... something... soul, I guess. Their blues isn't all that bad, but they sound like they know how to play it, but not how to love it.

Second, I'm lining up some more bands, and I'm going to release them slowly to give me time to find some more. I went through a real dry spell where I wasn't finding anything, but I've found several new bands just recently that should keep me going for a while.

Pride Tiger: I dunno about the way these guys dress (they look kinda nerdy to me, definitely not how rock-and-rollers ought to look) but they sure know how to rock. Their first album is a real classic rocker; some of the songs are straight-up hard rock, but most show a heavy Thin Lizzy influence (as well as other mainstream rockers, such as Boston and Foreigner, but Thin Lizzy is definitely the most prominent.) The album also shows some coherence as a whole; while the songs are definitely 7" worthy for the most part, the album still sounds like an album, not a collection of singles. It's a great choice for beer-swilling, hard-rocking parties.

(In case you're wondering, I included a youtube link instead of a myspace because they're pretty well covered on youtube; that should make it easier for people who have problems with myspace.)

Edit: They're Thin Lizzy. Period. Plus... I dunno... every Post-1997-Alt_Rock band ever. Kinda weird. But still not bad.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 04-08-2009 at 03:09.

I;m gonna do something abssurd because I'm drunk. If you understand the absurdity of this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you do not, you NEED to read this post.

CREAM

If you only listen to one band in your entire life... well, then that band should probably be Frank Zappa and the Mothers. But if you only listen to two bands in your entire life, make the second Cream. They are one of the greatest blues-rock/psychedelic bands in musical history, and the best part about them is their ability to make your ears ring and mellow you out with the same song. A song that sounds calm and mellow in the studio becomes an eardrum-bursting beast onstage. Now, this was nothing unique to Cream during the 60s (pretty much every band sounded much better live back then) but Cream took it to a whole new level.

OK, cheap shot over. Go smoke some grass and dig some badass live Cream.

Hehe. I agree with the above post.
    #Hillary4prism

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

CREAM

If you only listen to one band in your entire life... well, then that band should probably be Frank Zappa and the Mothers. But if you only listen to two bands in your entire life, make the second Cream. They are one of the greatest blues-rock/psychedelic bands in musical history, and the best part about them is their ability to make your ears ring and mellow you out with the same song. A song that sounds calm and mellow in the studio becomes an eardrum-bursting beast onstage. Now, this was nothing unique to Cream during the 60s (pretty much every band sounded much better live back then) but Cream took it to a whole new level.

OK, cheap shot over. Go smoke some grass and dig some badass live Cream.
    Yeah cream is indeed a band everyone should check out. And it's no wonder they are better live, as all the three members (Clapton ahead) were great improvisers. And when one decided to took of, the others just followed. The hard thing was to stop playing, which resulted into Interstellar like (Pink Floyd for those with a very large hole in their culture) results.

And of course I second that about Zappa.

Next post. Very simple.

Airbourne; Australia; 70's pub rock; what AC/DC SHOULD be.

And yeah, they MIGHT be a ripoff band. But honestly, what would you rather listen to, "Rock and Roll Train" or "Diamond in the Rough"? Honestly, AC/DC should just donate their band name to these guys and let them rock on the way AC/DC should, and has not since after Bon Scott's death.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 12-24-2008 at 01:49.

Okay, I almost didn't say anything about this, but it's kinda weirding me out how much people are suggesting other bands to me. It's not that I'm offended; it's just that I thought this thread was for me to suggest bands to y'all, not the other way around. Now, don't get me wrong; I appreciate your enthusiasm. It's just that I would rather hear what you think of the bands I am suggesting.

Okay. enough pissing off my fans.

The Black Diamond Heavies. Bet you never heard of these guys before. They are a pretty strange band -- almost an industrial soul sound -- but they're one of my favorites. They have the energy and intensity of Wilson Pickett fronting the Stooges, and it;s all compressed into two crazy-ass dudes, one on drums and one on keyboards. The songs available on the Myspace, unless I am mistaken, are all from their latest album, which is more refined than their label debut; so if it isn't raw enough for you () then try looking them up on Youtube; their first album is even crazier. But the thing that really makes the band is their ability to pull off some of the best soul grooves I've ever heard; most notably, the 8-minute "All to Hell" and "Stitched in Sin" from the first album and "Bidin' my Time" from the second (and the last one comes complete with a kickass horn/sax section!) Definitely worth it.
    From the samples, they sound good, but really mediocre songs and a bit raggedy playing and hoarse vocals. It's typical electric-church music, which is electric, gospel-inspired music, lol.

Over two months, and just one page has been filled. The battle of conversion to the Church of Rock and Roll rages on.

Poets and Pornstars. My choice here might disappoint some, because, in all honesty, these guys are commercial rock. But, let me qualify that by saying, they are not what commercial rock is, but rather what it should be. They are a fantastic, rock-and-roll obsessed 70-s style rock group. And yes, they are over-produced on several tracks; but for the most part, they just make for a good, old-fashioned rockout session.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 12-27-2008 at 07:13.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast