Poll: What do you think of teenagers?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone trust youths anymore?

Blog Entries

Default Does anyone trust youths anymore?

With all the talk of knife crime and troublesome teens, how has this effected peoples views here? who is to blame? is faith in the younger generation completely lost or do you believe most are still valuable members of the society?
    Last edited by Thermal; 10-27-2008 at 23:11.

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Default Re: Does anyone trust youths anymore?

Do I trust them to do what? Stay horny and stupid? Yes I trust them completely.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I am one, so I really don't know what to say. Some of us are morons, of course, but the same could be said about all age groups.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

It depends on where you live Aries777777, I have heard many contrasting opinions on this. Generally though it's those that don't actually live nearby the troublespots and the gangs that don't think there's a problem and those that do, that are not only very aware of this problem but want something done about it. I suppose it also depends on where you hail from in the world.

On the whole Teenagers are ok, but there is most definitely a lack of discipline in schools here in the UK and a lack of both discipline and good parenting in the home - and this is leading to the so called "anti social behaviour".

From my perspective, as someone that comes into contact with this problem, it is a serious problem and it is damaging peoples' quality of life in poorer areas (and also spills over into better areas bringing them down as well). Usually it's only a few individuals causing the trouble and making other peoples', and in particular other teenagers' lives, hell.

The kids tend to be from long term benefit claimant families where a few generations have never worked nor comprehend the need to work. They simply rely on state handouts and have grown up expecting to get something for nothing. This is the problem that needs to be cracked before anything will improve.
    Last edited by caravel; 10-27-2008 at 23:45.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I'm currently assisting to the University and HS. In Hs there are a lot of stupids, and in Uni not. I'd trust them when they are growing mentally. When they are madure people.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Yes just not when they're full of booze. That doesn't just apply to teenagers though.

And I'm a student...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Blog Entries

well said caravel

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Flogging! That's what's needed.

After all, they already have the rum and the

It's just a joke Banquo, ease off a bit!

I'm not spamming, just having a bit of harmless

Now THAT was uncalled for you bog-trotting

Ouch! I dink you bwoke by dose.

42 Warning Points! But

Okay, I'll go quietly.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 10-28-2008 at 01:18.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

As soon as they mature (and some never do) they're usually fine. Some are not worth trying with and deserve beatings...

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Well, I chose the option that said that punishment is no option, but that's not my exact point. I just think one should be slower to punish and more lenient when doing so. I just don't see the "troublesome teens" here (though I of course know they exist).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking View Post
    Well, I chose the option that said that punishment is no option, but that's not my exact point. I just think one should be slower to punish and more lenient when doing so. I just don't see the "troublesome teens" here (though I of course know they exist).
    then again people are different in certain circumstances, one of my sisters friends was really caring and friendly to her, because its someone she can associate with being similiar age hobbies etc. yet she treated her parents like something she trod on.

Blog Entries

People haven't fundamentally changed in the last 20,000 some odd years. I don't think the current generation or the next are either inferior or superior. Essentially the same demon with a different mask.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I work in a Correctional Facility that specializes in treating and rehabing first time *convicted of non-violent* felons, mostly teens, but ages do range up to 39. It's called Shock Incarceration. An intensive 6-9 month program run like a military boot camp whose goal is to help turn troubled young peoples' lives in a positive direction. Dept. studies have shown that sending this class of felons into the regular prison system *Criminal University* pretty much condems the vast majority of them to a life of crime under the tutelage of the older career convicts. There is also an enhanced parole program to attempt to keep little Johhny or Suzy from backsliding when they do complete the program and are sent home. The Recidivism rates are better than regular prison parolees, however changing ones life is up to the individual. One has to want to change, and work hard at it; not giving up to temptation at the first snag or difficulty because there will always be those in life. This program is designed to give you that opportunity and teach one the life skills, and instill some self discipline. The carrot: only have to spend 6 months in a much safer correctional setting, get your GED, learn a job skill, turn your life around... The stick: Do your full sentence, usually 3+ years, at Criminal University as "fresh meat" to the general population with all the attendant fears,violence, negative peer pressure that come with it. Choose wisely.

Our most well known graduate is Curtis Jackson *50 Cent*.

I don't think todays generation of teens is much diffent, good or bad, from any that came before. Life is a learning process, and making bad decisions happens to us all. The wise ones grow and learn from their mistakes...unfortunately their are others that never do.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    But then, that's job security for me.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most are reasonably behaved and cause no problems and are barely noticed. There is a small number that causes most of the problem. In some estates fewer than 10 can be responsible for over 90% of crime.

Punishment / rehab should be on an escalating scale. The end would be a few months in the Army which in many cases might be enjoyed as the chance to learn practical skills and be in a macho environment may be to their liking.

To erase learning bad habits in prisons, reduce sentences but make the conditions harder e.g. no talking to other inmates for starters.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    I work in a Correctional Facility that specializes in treating and rehabing first time *convicted of non-violent* felons, mostly teens, but ages do range up to 39. It's called Shock Incarceration. An intensive 6-9 month program run like a military boot camp whose goal is to help turn troubled young peoples' lives in a positive direction. Dept. studies have shown that sending this class of felons into the regular prison system *Criminal University* pretty much condems the vast majority of them to a life of crime under the tutelage of the older career convicts. There is also an enhanced parole program to attempt to keep little Johhny or Suzy from backsliding when they do complete the program and are sent home. The Recidivism rates are better than regular prison parolees, however changing ones life is up to the individual. One has to want to change, and work hard at it; not giving up to temptation at the first snag or difficulty because there will always be those in life. This program is designed to give you that opportunity and teach one the life skills, and instill some self discipline. The carrot: only have to spend 6 months in a much safer correctional setting, get your GED, learn a job skill, turn your life around... The stick: Do your full sentence, usually 3+ years, at Criminal University as "fresh meat" to the general population with all the attendant fears,violence, negative peer pressure that come with it. Choose wisely.

Our most well known graduate is Curtis Jackson *50 Cent*.

I don't think todays generation of teens is much diffent, good or bad, from any that came before. Life is a learning process, and making bad decisions happens to us all. The wise ones grow and learn from their mistakes...unfortunately their are others that never do.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    But then, that's job security for me.
    Hey, you’re a moderator in real life too!

Neat program BTW. Our prison system sucks and this sounds like a good alternative for first timers.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

The youth of today are worms. What they need is a haircut and a good five year stint in the army to learn some discipline. Put some stick about!
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Bad behaviour is relative to something. Regardless of that, better clarity is needed. What question do you really ask? Besides, teenagers as homogeneous group, what kind of question is that?
    Last edited by Viking; 10-28-2008 at 19:19.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

You can't really generalise age groups across the world accurately, you get no more information about tenagers from the latest stabbing in london than you do on middle aged people from fritzl...

At 22 im probably just over or on the edge on what people think of as a youth, but i feel the need to point out that whilst teenagers are probably the group i have had the worst experiences with they are probably the group i have also had the best experiences with...

I find more often a teenager willing to help you out whereas an older person will just look down on you because your younger, its my guess that its probably relative to age groups as well, the oldest and the youngest have such different views that the other group is more like a different culture so thier acts are viewed with more suspicion and caution
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yesdachi View Post
    Hey, you’re a moderator in real life too!

Neat program BTW. Our prison system sucks and this sounds like a good alternative for first timers.
    Who's your Daddy?

I find more often a teenager willing to help you out whereas an older person will just look down on you because your younger, its my guess that its probably relative to age groups as well, the oldest and the youngest have such different views that the other group is more like a different culture so thier acts are viewed with more suspicion and caution
    The only discernable difference between teens and older adults has nothing to do with intelligence, abilities, communication/observation skills, etc... it's experience. Applying the knowledge gained from experience & observation *and the will to use it* is really the only advantage an adult has over any teen.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Never trust anyone over under 30...
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

To erase learning bad habits in prisons, reduce sentences but make the conditions harder e.g. no talking to other inmates for starters.
    Didn't we try that in the early 1900's?
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi View Post
    People haven't fundamentally changed in the last 20,000 some odd years. I don't think the current generation or the next are either inferior or superior. Essentially the same demon with a different mask.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I think the majority (51%) are okay.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Could you please define "youths"? Are we talking age or are we talking muslims burning cars and rioting in Europe? Hmmmm, I guess either way, the answer is no for me...
    RIP Tosa

No.

Most of them are scum.

signed: 15-year old.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    No.

Most of them are scum.

signed: 15-year old.
    And most of them remain scum even as they grow older....

signed: a 33 years old.
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 10-30-2008 at 00:39.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Could you please define "youths"? Are we talking age or are we talking muslims burning cars and rioting in Europe? Hmmmm, I guess either way, the answer is no for me...
    were talking from the age of -9months up to 131 years

Most teenagers are untrustworthy, rude to Muslims and gays and to people wearing blazers from a "neeky school", and chavvy. (Especially the younger ones)

Signed- a 15 year old

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its true. I am enrolled in a high reputation Lutheran School, in my final year. In the cohort of 275 people, I am the only person that does not drink alcohol. That isnt to say the others only do it once a year, 80% + its every two weeks. Not only are most of them underage, many have been arrested in public places for various things. It is a worrying trend. I do not trust my fellow peers. End of school is very soon, last day on the 21st of November. Then the traditional Australian Schoolies, one week where they all somehow get alcohol, drink themselves stupid and have lots of meaningless sex. I have completely abstained from it, and I get scorn from everyone. While everyone else is partying, I shall be on these forums, perhaps playing some games or maybe even just applying for a job or two.

Aside from that, its just simple, youths (15-22/23) can not be trusted. Get them in a full time job for a few years, then take a proper look at them.

edit: i voted Most of them are foul and rude, the majority need punishment
    Last edited by pevergreen; 10-30-2008 at 11:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

I raised 5 youths through various parts of their teen years. And I still remember my own teenage years, as if they were yesterday.

I steal Reagan's dictum: "Trust. But verify." Trust is a thing to be learned, and earned. Like personal honour, individual integrity, and those other "adult" things that youth always yearns for, before they fully understand them.

It's been ever thus, I think, as Wakizashi points out. The current crop gives me hope for the future; but I still watch them with a jaded eye. :)
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast