Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Redux: Debug-Area...

Default Re: Redux: debug area...

Axalon

One small bug - no picture when, as Spain, I got a message telling me construction complete on a chapel

One "maybe it's not a bug but looks a bit weird to me" - the dust that troops kick up on battlefield definitely looks purplish

Playing as the French, I also had a missing picture on completing a Chapel.

Having played a quick mission (Spanish 100 men + 2 champions vs heap of Moors - or similar) on a bridge map, I have two more small niggles:
    - I find the water in the river to be too bright a shade of blue. It probably shouldn't even be blue, rather brown/green/grey.
    - the command icons at the top have lost some of their clarity / definition on being changed to green. I would prefer the original MTW red background.

Edit: Christian Shrine is also missing a picture upon its completion.
    Last edited by Plato; 03-08-2011 at 01:26. Reason: Another missing image

Thanks guys for reporting this in …

Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    One small bug - no picture when, as Spain, I got a message telling me construction complete on a chapel
    Noted & logged… Thanks…

There is a correct file located in: “…\Medieval - Total War\campmap\Info_Pics\Buildings\Coloured”. Use that if you want to fix it temporarily on your own.

One "maybe it's not a bug but looks a bit weird to me" - the dust that troops kick up on battlefield definitely looks purplish
    I get this in raw MTW as well – so whatever it is it is not Redux. My guess is that the rendering lights on the battle-map are red/purple and that is what shows in the smoke.

Dismissed… Sorry…

Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Playing as the French, I also had a missing picture on completing a Chapel.
    Thanks for confirming Wes findings… I think it will be that way for all catholic factions. I can replicate this one myself as well (as Spain).

- I find the water in the river to be too bright a shade of blue. It probably shouldn't even be blue, rather brown/green/grey.
    I guess we are entering the realms of preference here. At any rate, the texture stays, the color of it – well… If you got some shade/color that just rocks in the game for me too then I will use it. Post samples of colors (a simple square will do, or manipulate the file directly – do a backup first) that you think will work better and I will examine it. If others have opinions on this - now is good time to voice them (here)…

Possible caseRiver color, Arid

- I fear that you might have views on all river-colors and I can say that same thing applies for all. What is for absolutely certain are that I won’t be using one color for them all.

- the command icons at the top have lost some of their clarity / definition on being changed to green. I would prefer the original MTW red background.
    Noted… They might possibly be improved and I might look in to this. They probably won’t be the old red if changed – possibly brown, grey or another sharper and distinct version of black possibly (you can always change it on your personal copy of redux, using the original files). The green “radioactive” light is likely to stay, it is very useful in MP-battles and I did put it in there to make “checked” and “unchecked” buttons to stand clearly apart – which is the whole point. Again, if others have opinions on this - now is good time to voice them (here)…

Possible caseFormation-buttons improvement (battle-map).

Christian Shrine is also missing a picture upon its completion.
    Noted & logged… Thanks… (Replicated).

There is a correct file located in: “…\Medieval - Total War\campmap\Info_Pics\Buildings\Coloured”. Use that if you want to fix it temporarily on your own. Seems to be a re-occurring problem here with the folders. My guess is that everything that is defined with cultural distinctions somehow - "Catholic" for instance - will have similar problems. That is a guess, as i write this...

I found some minor stuff on my own…

1. Wrong portraits for pagan druids (in Bishop-folder), they lack the “golden frame”. Correct ones can be located in: “…\Medieval - Total War\campmap\Portraits\Catholic\Bishop”. Copy a paste over to the pagan folder, to fix it…

2. The unit “Scottish nobles” have the wrong info-pic… I will fix this eventually…

---------------------------------------------
    EDIT: Found another one…

3. The uniticon for CataphractRegiment is missing in battle. To fix it, go to “…\Medieval - Total War\Battle\UnitIcons” – change file “CataphractRegiment.BIF.LBM” to “CataphractRegiment.LBM”…

More as they come, I guess....

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-09-2011 at 02:55. Reason: Added no:3...

River colour
    For each of the land types, is the same texture used for both rivers and seas? I set up a battle on DesertCoastal1 and the ocean looked quite idyllic as it lapped the sandy shore.

Framerate
    Not having the most modern of rigs, but still more than adequate to run vanilla MTW, I am wondering how to improve my framerate in big battles. My PC specs:
    Athlon XP 3200+ (32bit, single core)
    2 x 1Gb DDR 400
    Radeon X800 XT PE
    MTW Options:
    Unit size: Default
    Battle resolution: 1280 x 1024
    Performance: smoke and ambient fauna both ON
    Sound: high quality with Hardware

There was no problem in the small, early skirmishes (up to 500 soldiers on each side), but there was a serious loss of smoothness at 750 v 750. However 1400 v 1400 (including reinforcements) didn't seem to be much worse. Could it have been the terrain: this was in the mixed hills and mountains of Burgundy and Milan?

Info pages
    Are you able to change the text on these? I have spotted some strange phrasing, most memorably "Rouge Knights". Unless they are given to wearing ladies' blusher they should probably be Rogue.

From my experience one core Athlon XP is not enough for mtw. Check the cpu load. Always 100%. Video ram can limit your framerate too (if lower than 256mb). Even small 1vs1 battle eats @90-100mb of ram. Biggest can eat up to 300mb.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

This is the original MTW we're talking about?! According to the Readme, the ideal config is:
    1.2 GHz or faster processor
    256 MB or more RAM
    8x or faster CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive (with maximum install)
    1.7 GB free hard disk space plus space for saved games
    Fast 64 MB Direct3D capable video card
    I've reduced my resolution to 1024 x 768. 16-unit-a-side battles are now playable even with all other high performance options being on. Smaller battles are super-smooth.
    I should also have mentioned that I'm using a virtual drive rather than inserting the game CD. That undoubtedly has some impact, but I assumed it would only be loading times that are really affected.

@Axalon
    There were a couple of unit support costs that struck me as being out of scale:
    Foot Knights (20 men) - - - - - Purchase: 400 - - Support:25
    Feudal Footknights (40) - - - - - - - 800 - - - - - - 50
    When compared to:
    Feudal Knights (40 + horses) - - - - 925 - - - - - - 30

I've made several tests few weeks ago so it's not a guesswork or just my opinion. 64mb video ram and 1.2 GHz processor is far from being "ideal" for MTW. Previously, I tried mtw on very similar configuration as yours. As I said, 100% cpu load and frame rate drops are very clear signs that your processor is too weak. Now, I'm using Core2Duo E4500 (2.2 GHz overlocked to 2.9), Radoen X800 256mb and 4gb ram (winXP SP3 32-bit). Of course, MTW utilizes only one core with fluctuating load about 70-90%. This setup is nearly ideal for mtw (if I found x800/850 card with 512mb ram it will be ideal). All battles have 60 fps non stop (60Hz is deafult refresh rate of my LCD monitor).
    As you said, virtual drive may have only a little impact on loading times.

btw If someone has 3gb or more ram and want to shorten loading times - the solution is ramdisk. All battles and MTW itself loads in a second. It's especially effective for modders. Searching for a phrase through 2gb of data normally takes more than a minute. When you have all files on the ramdrive - 4-6 seconds. Beware! - RAM is volatile so making a copy of your work/saves is a must.

Sorry for this little offtop.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Hello guys...

River colour
    For each of the land types, is the same texture used for both rivers and seas?
    Yes... Also, be aware that textures show up slightly differently in color "in-game" due to various colored rendering lights on the battle-maps there. As in what shows in - say Photoshop - is not exacly the same what we get in Redux/MTW.

I set up a battle on DesertCoastal1 and the ocean looked quite idyllic as it lapped the sandy shore.
    Same ‘ol terms apply, show me a better alternative and I’ll use it…

Framerate
    Not having the most modern of rigs, but still more than adequate to run vanilla MTW, I am wondering how to improve my framerate in big battles. My PC specs:

Athlon XP 3200+ (32bit, single core)
    2 x 1Gb DDR 400
    Radeon X800 XT PE[/INDENT]

MTW Options:
    Unit size: Default
    Battle resolution: 1280 x 1024
    Performance: smoke and ambient fauna both ON

Sound: high quality with Hardware
    Change to medium quality and no hardware mixing. That should fix it. My primary “MTW-PC” got the same GFX-card (with 4.8 catalyst drivers, Win2000), same Ram, but a CPU Intel P4 2.6 GHz. I did a 4 army x1600 men solo battle – no problem. BTW, there is an entry on this problem in the “known bugs”-section in “ReadMe”…

Info pages
    Are you able to change the text on these? I have spotted some strange phrasing, most memorably "Rouge Knights". Unless they are given to wearing ladies' blusher they should probably be Rogue.
    ...That’s what I get for trying to spell! It’s obvious that the descriptions need some double-checking, corrections & reading… Are you up for it? Others are of course also welcome to help out here. I can’t offer much beyond the usual, a credit in the game, goodwill and gratitude. I’ll give credits to any people who report in valid typos and errors etc. etc.

[B]
    There were a couple of unit support costs that struck me as being out of scale:
    Foot Knights (20 men) - - - - - Purchase: 400 - - Support:25
    Feudal Footknights (40) - - - - - - - 800 - - - - - - 50
    When compared to:
    Feudal Knights (40 + horses) - - - - 925 - - - - - - 30
    Noted & Logged… Obvious slip-up. Thanks…

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Sorry for this little offtop.
    Staz, the stuff is still relevant and interesting here in some regards.

On general terms however, please folks, do try to avoid sidetracking threads or posting non-relevant stuff in the Redux-area. The Redux-area/forum is, and is supposed to be, about and what concerns Redux somehow – as the name implies.

More as they come...

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-12-2011 at 19:42. Reason: Woof... Lassie!

Hi Axalon

I was getting a recurring problem in year 793 playing as Italians. I end year, a message comes up telling me that my fleet has been defeated in Tyrhennian Sea (by Saracens or Russians) and then game sticks on the "taking moves" message - it happened 3 times in a row. On the fourth, I removed from building queue the only thing due to complete that year - a shipyard in Venice replacing one previously destroyed - and the sticking vanished. Very odd - shipyard can be built there, and I built it a year later no problem, so I don't know what was going on. I will keep an eye out for anything similar.

Moorish Coast has Algeria as a neighbour but no border with it. Granada has a border with Moorish Coast but isn't a neighbour. So I think Algeria and Granada should be switched in the Moorish Coast neighbours list. (The neighbour entries the other way round - ie Land to Sea - look right)

Hello Wes and thanks for the bug-reports…

I was getting a recurring problem in year 793 playing as Italians. I end year, a message comes up telling me that my fleet has been defeated in Tyrhennian Sea (by Saracens or Russians) and then game sticks on the "taking moves" message - it happened 3 times in a row. On the fourth, I removed from building queue the only thing due to complete that year - a shipyard in Venice replacing one previously destroyed - and the sticking vanished. Very odd - shipyard can be built there, and I built it a year later no problem, so I don't know what was going on. I will keep an eye out for anything similar.
    Weird… Beats me. All relevant files seems to be in order and folders, thus it certainly seems to be yet another engine-related issue. I am guessing the MTW have a problem loading the SFX-file for building-completion or something.

There is an entry in “known bugs”-section (in Readme) that does mention similar symptoms. My guess is that it is some of that. Just to make sure, have you used any building cheats or something like that? All requirements go to hell and thus things usually gets screwed up onwards.

I know as much as you do on this Wes…

Moorish Coast has Algeria as a neighbour but no border with it. Granada has a border with Moorish Coast but isn't a neighbour. So I think Algeria and Granada should be switched in the Moorish Coast neighbours list. (The neighbour entries the other way round - ie Land to Sea - look right)
    Noted & logged… Correct, Granada should/will replace Algeria in the MOORISH_COAST (Barbary coast) entry… Thanks.

More as they come...

- Cheers
    -------------
    BTW, I think that both you and I have waited long enough on the camel-issue over at the
    regular thread, so I will get back to that shortly and it will get resolved there. People have
    had their chance - the camel-zone will shrink somehow.
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-13-2011 at 17:35. Reason: Mo clarity...

My edit of unit descriptions is attached. Also had a look at Names.txt
    @{"the Friesians"} //Reduxed! Used to be: Swiss
    needed a capital F. Also "the Flemish" appear twice in that list, if that's important.

Finally, Tooltips.txt seems not to have "is/are" corrected for changed products
    @["tradable_goods_intro_tooltips"]
    @{"Perfumes are produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Glassware Value:40
    @{"Wood is processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Wood Value:20
    @{"Furs are produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Furs Value:40
    @{"Amber is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Wine Value:40
    @{"Dyes are processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Wool Value:30
    @{"Spices are processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Silk Value:40
    @{"Textiles are processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Cotton Value:30
    @{"Wine is processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Linen Value:30
    @{"Wool is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Wax Value:20
    @{"Glassware is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Honey Value:40
    @{"Salt is processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."}
    @{"XXXXX are produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Hides Value:30
    @{"XXXXX is processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Butter Value:20
    @{"Pottery is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Pottery Value:30
    @{"Saltfish are processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Saltfish Value:20
    @{"Ivory is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Spices Value:50
    @{"Gems are processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Gems Value:50
    @{"XXXXX is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Sugar Value:40
    @{"Silk is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Dyes Value:50
    @{"XXXXX is processed here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Ivory Value:40
    @{"Olive oil is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Oliveoil Value:30
    @{"Grain is produced here and may be used in trade with other nations."} ////////////////////// Used to be: Grain Value:30
    Some verbs other than the basic "produced / processed" could be considered: spun, mined, harvested, plentiful, cut, pressed, etc.
    Last edited by Plato; 03-26-2011 at 00:58. Reason: Removed attachment

Axalon

This one is a bit similar to previous. Khazar and Georgia are in the list of neighbours of Black Sea when they shouldn't be - neither has a border with it

A mistake on my part in one of the unit entries, the superfluous clause can be removed and the last semi-colon made into a colon:
    ["MuslimLightInfantry_desc"]
    {"These are irregular formations of lightly equipped Muslim warriors; as a unit; they are not a reliable force nor very well suited to anything other than desert warfare. If faced with a tough Christian foe outside the desert there is little hope for them: expect these men to break and flee.... "}

It's probably an artifact from original MTW but Border Forts combined with fleets give overseas intelligence, ie. with Border Forts on the coast it's possible to view details of anything your ships form a chain to.

The cheapness of agents might need revisiting: I was the victim of a magnificently evil move by the Aragonese when they sent five travellers into Aquitane - the happiness immediately plummeted by 70 percentage points! I don't mind the AI doing that sort of thing, but wish they had to pay more than 250 florins for the privilege. Mind you, the assassins to deal with them were better value for money as they can kill one traveller a turn.
    Last edited by Plato; 03-14-2011 at 15:13. Reason: Forgot about the assassins

Axalon

Serbia shown as neighbour of Ionian Sea but it doesn't have a border with it - whereas it does have a border with Adriatic Ocean without being its neighbour

Hi and many thanks guys...

This one is a bit similar to previous. Khazar and Georgia are in the list of neighbours of Black Sea when they shouldn't be - neither has a border with it
    Noted & Logged... Correct, these shall/should be removed... Thanks.

Serbia shown as neighbour of Ionian Sea but it doesn't have a border with it - whereas it does have a border with Adriatic Ocean without being its neighbour
    Noted & Logged... Right, replace with “ID_IONIAN_SEA” instead… Thanks. ...Any others?

Dismissed: All this is in order, due to the rearrangement in sea-zones redux has... It is not a bug...

My edit of unit descriptions is attached. Also had a look at Names.txt needed a capital F. Also "the Flemish" appear twice in that list, if that's important.
    Roger that and triple thanks, I will use it... Regarding Flemish x2 - nah, it is not important (to me at least) but thanks for pointing it out anyway - thorougness is always good.

Finally, Tooltips.txt seems not to have "is/are" corrected for changed products
    Some verbs other than the basic "produced / processed" could be considered: spun, mined, harvested, plentiful, cut, pressed, etc.
    Have some more thanks. Yeah, i will consider it (and apply correct grammar)...

A mistake on my part in one of the unit entries, the superfluous clause can be removed and the last semi-colon made into a colon:
    Roger, I will use the new correction...

It's probably an artifact from original MTW but Border Forts combined with fleets give overseas intelligence, ie. with Border Forts on the coast it's possible to view details of anything your ships form a chain to.
    Flagged for observation… Due to likely internal inflexibility in MTW this circumstance can probably not be changed if we want the border forts to also be able to potentially catch enemy agents (which to me is the primary function) – a trait which in my book supercedes the “overseas intelligence”-bi effect. If it turns out that we can indeed get that circumstance without the bieffect – I will change it. It would be a nice supprise to me.

The cheapness of agents might need revisiting: I was the victim of a magnificently evil move by the Aragonese when they sent five travellers into Aquitane - the happiness immediately plummeted by 70 percentage points! I don't mind the AI doing that sort of thing, but wish they had to pay more than 250 florins for the privilege. Mind you, the assassins to deal with them were better value for money as they can kill one traveller a turn.
    Flagged for observation… In essence, let’s not be hasty and gather more reports and Intel on this matter before making any changes – if any…

Plato...

I would suggest that you also have a look a the building descriptions as well (same file) since I fear that those might very well also be littered with errors, typos etc. here and there. I leave it up to you, it is just a suggestion here.

Keep it up guys, doing a good job. More as they come...

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-11-2011 at 11:04. Reason: Correction...

There is a missing link between Moorish Coast and Afrika Coast - Moorish has Afrika as a neighbour but not vice versa

Sardinia omitted from Ligurian Sea list of neighbours

There is a missing link between Moorish Coast and Afrika Coast - Moorish has Afrika as a neighbour but not vice versa
    Noted & logged... Insert link...

Sardinia omitted from Ligurian Sea list of neighbours
    Noted & logged... Add Sardinia as neighbour... Thanks Wes.

- Cheers

Attaching my edit of the buildings descriptions.

I do have a quibble with one: the Master Swordsmith which apparently "grants a weapon quality bonus to any unit trained here". Is this really true? Does it appear in some way that is not shown on a unit's info scroll? Does it really apply to any unit not just swordsmen?

Update:
    I forgot to update the entry for "Western Tower 1" - this should be a cut-and-paste job from "Desert Tower 1" or "Guard Tower 1".
    Last edited by Plato; 04-12-2011 at 22:45. Reason: Removed attachment

Hi and many thanks Plato….

I will use the file. As for the swordsmith, it only concerns sword-troops, I’ll make corrections if needed in text.

Furthermore, I have been checking up on rivers and it is messier then I remembered it to be. It’s all a virtual dice-game as to what color the river/water-textures actually end up with in the game. “Precision” is hardly the word for it. Anyway, I am on the case - somewhat anyhow… Essentially, I’ll get back to you on this note.

- Cheers

Malta omitted from neighbours of Gulf Sidra

Also, Tripolitanian rebels still show as Maltese rebels

Noted & logged... Thanks Wes.

- A

It looks like Tripolitania port should be on Maltese Channel (which fits actual location of Tripoli) but neighbours list puts it actually on Gulf Sidra

Not sure if you count this as a bug but Egyptians have no SetTreasury entry and Russians no StartLeader

Default Re: Redux: debug area... BETA 1000

I made the corrections of post:54 and 55, thanks again Wes
    (Check post:46 for correction and dismissal).

-----------------------------------------------

List of bugs and errors killed...

• Map-connectivity: Moorish Coast – Algeria --- Link deleted
    • Map-connectivity: Moorish Coast – Granada --- Link set
    • Map-connectivity: Moorish Coast – Africa Coast --- Link set
    • Map-connectivity: Sardinia – Ligurian Sea --- Link set
    • Map-connectivity: Khazar – Black Sea --- Link deleted
    • Map-connectivity: Georgia – Black Sea --- Link deleted
    • Map-connectivity: Black Sea - Khazar --- Link deleted
    • Map-connectivity: Black Sea - Georgia --- Link deleted
    • Building descriptions: Corrected
    • Unit descriptions: Corrected
    • River textures: Improved all terrains…
    • Battle panel buttons: Improved…
    • Unit Battle Marker: Cataphract Regiment fixed
    • Unit Battle Marker: Rogue Knight fixed
    • Unit Info Pic: Scottish Nobles fixed
    • Strat-map ship: Pagan ship-piece fixed
    • Build completion pic: Chapel fixed
    • Build completion pic: Shrine fixed
    • Mercenary cost: Improved…
    • SetTreasury: Saracens… Fixed
    • Place Russian leader: Fixed
    • Place Lithuanian leader: Fixed
    • Malta Links: Fixed order… Malta Channel first…
    • Tripolitanian Rebels: Set to “Tripolitanians”

Many thanks to Western and Plato for helping out here;
    well earned credits are included in RXB1001…

-----------------------------------------------

This formally concludes the bughunt in Redux Beta 1000, as the 1001-version
    enters service it replaces the previous version and makes it obsolete. From this
    post and onwards, the bughunt is thus now restricted to the RXB1001-version.

- A

The first one for RXB1001; building-descriptions, “Western Tower 1”… It should be:

"Guardtowers are usually set up at key strategic points within a province. As a rule, they maintain a small garrison to deal with local troublemakers and outlaws; in short, maintaining local order. The military value is limited however, since they can hardly check an advancing army. +2% Stability."

More as they come…

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; 04-11-2011 at 11:24. Reason: Clarity...

Hi. This mod just got me to try MTW again after a year or more.

I just started out and see a lot of improvements you have made, but I am wondering about the watchtowers(guardtowers). I do not get information on troops in nearby provinces after building the towers.
    I do not know if that is intended or not.

Anyway, thanks for your work.

Yes, that is how Watchtowers work in this Mod. You don't get intelligence on neighbouring regions until you have upgraded them four times - to Border Forts (which will take another 17 years and quite a bit of money, off the top of my head).

@Axalon
    Beta 1000 - problem with Frisia / Helgoland
    Admittedly not the latest version, but I haven't seen this mentioned in the list of fixes. I can't use naval convoys to move an army TO Frisia. Agents can come and go as they please, and armies can leave by sea but they don't seem to be able to land there.

Hi guys,

TauNine

Thanks and welcome to the Redux-area. Feel free to share your Redux-experiences or discuss with other players on their experiences as your play the game. Questions, answers, thoughts or whatever - feel free to participate here (after all, that is the purpose with this place). Anyhow, do enjoy the game… :)

Plato

I have checked it and you are right, there is an entry on the relevant sea-zone missing – RXB1001… Thus I’ll have to go “Noted and logged” on this… Thanks…

- Cheers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast