Thread: army composition

Default army composition

I am new to Samurai Warlords, and I'm trying to figure out what should be in a 16 unit attack army and how the parts should work together. I have so little time to play right now, so I can't experiment much and it is getting annoying. Here is what I am thinking would be good. Suggestions are very welcome.

5 spear units: Probably 3 Yari Samurai (good balance of cost vs ability) and yari ashigaru. The justification for the peasant units are: 1: cheaper 2: gives expendible units 3: faster, which is handy until you get cavalry to conduct pursuits and chase down enemy missle units. Later as I get richer they could be replaced by Yari Samurai, and maybe one Yari Samurai could be replaced by a naginata (heavy spear unit?)

The spear units would provide a stable center to pin the enemy line and provide the missle troops with cover to hide behind

5 missle units. Maybe 3 crossbows and 2 Samurai archers (I am playing before Teppo becomes available) The crossbows could enter the skirmish phase of the battle first to draw enemy fire, because they are expendible, while the Samurai archers could join in, mabye hiding behind a screen of crossbows to protect them from enemy crossbow fire. The Samurais' rapid fire could damage the enemy skirmishers quickly, leaving them with too few to win the skirmish phase. Samurai archers could instead direct their fire against enemy monks or kensai, to weaken these threats, or the Samurai archers (once they are out of fire) could be used as extra flankers against the weaker enemy units. Cavalry archers could eventually replace the Samurai archers, and be used to draw enemy units out of position and maybe lead the best enemy infantry a merry chase away from the main action

2 cavalry units. Obviously, these would have to be royal body guard units at first. I have no experience yet with other cavalry units and don't know what best to use.

2 flankers: Warrior monks or kensai for choice. They could stay back a bit to avoid the attention of enemy missle units, and rush around one enemy flank when the enemy skirmishers have been damaged, to avoid heavy casualties to the monks or a lucky hit on the kensai. Early on, those two handed sword guys (no-dachi?) would do, until I could get better flankers. Flankers should work in pairs - one to attack and one to protect the flankers' flank if necessary

2 unassigned slots. What they are for depends on what looks useful against a particular foe, what I can afford, what is left over from old battles, etc.

Does this look like an effective but affordable attack army?
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Default Re: army composition

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    Does this look like an effective but affordable attack army?
    The gameplay is RPS. Therefore, in general, balanced armies in which all components (spear, sword, ranged and cavalry) of the RPS are represented equally work well. Field the highest quality unit within a particular type that you can afford, i.e. if you can afford YS then don't bother with YA, if you can afford WM then don't bother with ND, etc. YS are also more effective than YA when used to deplete enemy ranged units of ammo, such as when attacking a bridge, because the YS have more armor. NI would be the best for this purpose, but they are very expensive.

Initially, you won't have cavalry, but add that as soon as you can train cavalry. Then make an adjustment to the army composition depending on the terrain of the province in which the fighting will take place. For example, if there are a lot of trees then reduce the amount of cavalry and increase the amount of swords or if you will be defending high ground then increase the number of ranged units. Be cautious about using heirs in battle since you can loose the game if several heirs get killed. Personally, I've eliminated the kensai, battlefield ninja and the xbow unit types from my campaign game, and the tactical gameplay is still fine with the tactical AI acquitting itself quite well in battles.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 11-21-2008 at 16:02.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Default Re: army composition

Thank you. It sounds easy. I guess I'll find out if its as easy as it sounds.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle