Thread: Game Freezing on Carthaginian Turn Winter 222bc/221 (Romani)

Question Game Freezing on Carthaginian Turn Winter 222bc/221 (Romani)

I must confess I am a long time lurker to EB forum, but never had the impetuous to sign up and join the discussions (mainly for my knowledge [sic] of ancient history would add nothing to the conversations going on).

But I digress; the reason why I finally signed up was to crawl to this forum for help. Now, I apologize in advance if the solution to my problem is a simple one and if it is I deserve all the chastisement and rage I will get.

In my Romani campaign the game freezes on the Carthaginian turn (Winter 222bc, it would go onto Spring 221bc if the end turn went ahead as normal). Using toggle_fow and turning on AI movements I sat and watched to see if any battles or movements might have caused the freeze, and nothing did. The AI makes some moves as Carthage and then it freezes. I’ve installed the fixes for 1.1, but only after I encountered this problem, somewhat foolish of me I know, but I thought the retroactive fixes might save my campaign.

I’m guessing it might be due to the reform markers of the Carthaginian reforms placed in the settlement in the Sahara (which I am unable to spell without looking ham-fisted). Would moving an army and the capturing it to destroy the old reform markers and generic buildings help? As I heard sometimes when a settlement reaches the building limit it can cause crashes, which might be the problem in my case.

I have also upload my save game if anybody would be so kind to help take a look at it:

http://www.box.net/shared/bimsmffijd

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Scud; 11-21-2008 at 18:23.

Default Re: Game Freezing on Carthaginian Turn Winter 222bc/221 (Romani)

You might want to check the main forum, you may find that this is a perfect opportunity to start over...

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I just saw it in the last five minutes, and while I am very happy about the new release I would like to carry on with my camapaign - plus the fixes included are just the 1.1 "must have" fixes added into the installation, so I don't think patching my game would help save my campaign.

When you say freeze, do you mean freeze or crash? Anyway, you're right that it could be a reform marker spam. Then you have some options, which is to teleport an army down there and take over the relevant cities, or use force diplomacy to take over all the relevant cities. You can also take over control over the faction (see the frequent issues for how). Either way, you'll have to make the reform markers non-hinterland in export_descr_buildings.txt to be allowed to destroy them.

Indeed upgrading won't fix your campaign, it is savegame incompatible.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    When you say freeze, do you mean freeze or crash? Anyway, you're right that it could be a reform marker spam. Then you have some options, which is to teleport an army down there and take over the relevant cities, or use force diplomacy to take over all the relevant cities. You can also take over control over the faction (see the frequent issues for how). Either way, you'll have to make the reform markers non-hinterland in export_descr_buildings.txt to be allowed to destroy them.

Indeed upgrading won't fix your campaign, it is savegame incompatible.
    By freeze, I mean the game just "stands still" so to speak on the Carthaginian turn. I have linked to my save game in the topic post if you have the spare time to see what happens when you end turn, I'm guessing it would freeze aswell, but then you'd might be able to gleam some more information for a possible solution from the save.

So if I was to teleport an army to the settlement in the Sahara and then destroy the reform markers there (after making them non-hinterland), would I also have to destroy the reform markers in the Cathaginian towns need for the reforms? But also, what would happen if I were to retain the settlement which is used for markers etc. wouldn't it cause problems and I'd have to transfer it back to the Eleutheroi?

It shouldn't really cause any problems that you keep it until it revolts. It's not in that town that the reform markers are, they're put in all the carthaginian towns so you'll need to remove the markers from those if that is the cause. However, there are a lot of other markers down in Terhazza that could make it be too many buildings combined with the regular buildings.

Edit: The problem here is, it's usually a crash that occurs when there becomes too many buildings, not a freeze. The easiest way to get past this problem is to revert to an older savegame I think.
    Last edited by bovi; 11-21-2008 at 20:33.

================
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    It shouldn't really cause any problems that you keep it until it revolts. It's not in that town that the reform markers are, they're put in all the carthaginian towns so you'll need to remove the markers from those if that is the cause. However, there are a lot of other markers down in Terhazza that could make it be too many buildings combined with the regular buildings.
    Well I'll try destroying some markers and buildings Terhazza, but how exactly do I use the move character code (I'm unsure of the exact code, or the coordinates for Terhazza)? Plus where exactly would I change the markers to non-hinterland in the export_descr_buildings.txt file?

I'm sorry again for asking for your help, but I am thankful for it, and hopefully after you answer these (hopefully final) questions I'll be able to get my save to work.

Edit: The problem here is, it's usually a crash that occurs when there becomes too many buildings, not a freeze. The easiest way to get past this problem is to revert to an older savegame I think.
    Which I don't have, but like I said, if you were to load up the save game yourself you might be able to find the exact problem.
    Last edited by Scud; 11-21-2008 at 20:35.

Quote Originally Posted by frequent issues
    move_character "<character name>" <x>, <y>. The character name is complicated
    If he's named Appivs Cornelivs Blasio, for instance, his real name could be "AppivsG Romanvs", "AppivsJ Romanvs" or any other letter between A and K after his first name.
    for Romans, and "Firstname Middlenamelastname" for others (make note of capitalization, hyphens and lacking space!). X and Y are the map coordinates to teleport him to.
    You may get the coordinates where you want to go to by: Write show_cursorstat in the console (don't press enter), then point the mouse where you want to go and press enter to apply the command. The console will output the coordinates.
    You cannot teleport to sea, cities or impassable terrain.
    So as you're Romani, it will be move_character "NameCharacter Romanvs" x, y, for instance
    move_character "AppivsD Romanvs" 5, 10

The coordinates is something you can either experiment to find, or you can use the show_cursorstat console command, which gives you the coordinates where you're pointing your mouse.

================
    ================

Having moved a character, for one he turned up invisible and when I tried to attack Terhazza the game crashed to desktop.

Is there a work-around where I can change the ownership of Terhazza with the console?

No, there is no such command. I think perhaps the easiest way (except reverting to an older save of course) would be to take control over the factions in turn to see if you can get past it by doing something other than they would as an AI.

================
    ================