Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amazon: Total War

Default Re: Amazon: Total War

This evening I added another new territory. This one in Scandinavia. The city of Aranaes is the Old Swedish name of Earnanaess, where the lair of the dragon that killed Beowulf was.

Its creation is another response to my current Valkyrja campaign. I have been sitting on Vicus Aesti and Vicus Gepidae, and have never had any sea trade at all because I have been at war with Germania. So I created Aranaes mainly to serve as a place you could take in order to get some Baltic Sea trade going, and loaded it with resources so it is worth the effort.

There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

This is good. Scandinavia is normally a bit boring, but having another settlement up there will make it more exciting

Principate Total War

< from Emperor of Graal for PTW

I noticed that it will also give Vicus Gepidae someone to trade with. It looks as if even if you hold all of the Baltic Sea ports you will not get any sea trade from there.

I have not been slacking. I have created a Mercenary Amazon Axewoman unit to replace the Amazon Hoplites on the northern plains, and a Rebel Militia Axewoman unit to add to the rebel population in those parts. I have also renamed Porrolissum to Sarmizgetusa and moved it to a more historically correct position.

Currently I am working on the animations. Here is a little preview:

I also did this, not using the javelinman animation anymore:
    Last edited by SubRosa; 04-24-2009 at 09:04.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

Very nice work

Thank you Legio.

I am running across a some units where I am having trouble deciding if I should give them the overhand attack or not. The entry-level Barbarian Infantry for example, or Roman Town Watch.

My opinion is that they should both use the underhanded attack. It will seperate them more from the units who do use it, plus they are not hoplites per se, just spearmen

Principate Total War

I made a list of them and took a closer look at both their models and EDU stats. What I noticed that they have a small spear model, and that they do not have the spear_bonus_8 attribute. They typically have a light_spear, spear_bonus_4 instead.

So as you were saying, they are really just spearmen, and not hoplites or something similar to hoplites. So I agree. I am going to leave them with the underhand attack. Instead I am pretty much only giving it to units with a phalanx ability but do not have the long_pike attribute. Those will keep the underhand attack too of course.

The only real deviation from that are the Triarii, whom I did give the overhand attack and a shield wall. I am not sure if I want to do the same for the Infantry Auxilia. Right now I am thinking not.

I finally finished the implementation of the overhand spear attack for hoplites and their cousins. While I was at it I gave them the shield_wall ability rather than phalanx, and removed their sword sidearms (the latter because they were always drawing it to charge whenever they attacked).

It was a lot of work, because I had to edit almost all of the .cas files involved to anchor their shields to the elbow rather than the hand. Then I spun the shields 45 degrees to the left so if they had a rectangular shield they were holding it straight up rather than at an angle. If they had a round shield I did the same so their symbols would appear right side up.

I also changed a few shields and textures, most notably for the German Spearwarband and the Armenian Heavy Spearmen. Both new shields are courtesy of Halie Satanus.

Here are some pics:

Amazonian Armoured Hoplites stand ready.

The lines clash.

Death in the Ranks (I think this will be a new loading screen).

Amazon Hoplites vs. Spartans.

The Spearwarband of Germania waits for the ravens.

Armenian Heavy Spearmen charge!

Germania vs. Armenia.

I am finished with all of the animations, new unit cards for some units that changed to an overhand attack, and have even added a Temple of Demeter to Amazonia and the Valkyrja. I have also created separate EDU entries for the Valkyrja units, allowing me to give them all snow bonuses, and create unit descriptions specific to Amazonia and the Valkyrja.

For the example, the Amazonian Companions description is now this:

Amazon Companion Cavalry are picked from the social and military elite of Amazonia. All are either born from aristocratic families or have earned that position through distinguished service. When not on campaign they live in the Royal Household and serve as an extended bodyguard and coterie of the Queen - her Hetaroi - or Companions. As such they form a personal bond with her that goes far beyond the loyalty of other troops. Often these women go on to serve as officers and generals, some might even be adopted into the Royal Family itself.

The Companions are expert horsewomen, riding the best mounts and have the finest armour available. Each is armed with a good lance and a longsword for close combat. As heavy cavalry they can be a decisive arm of battle, and are able to deliver a devastating charge that can smash all but the strongest enemy formations. However, they do need to be careful - as with all cavalry - when attacking spearmen. Bravery is of little use when galloping straight onto a row of gleaming spear points!
    While the Valkyrja Companions have this:

Amazon Companion Cavalry are the social and military elite of Valkyr. All come from influential families (the word aristocracy is never used by the Valkyrja, but in truth this is what they comprise), or have attained high status through distinguished service. When not on campaign they live in the First Equal's Household and serve as an extended bodyguard and coterie - her Hetaroi - or Companions. As such they form a personal bond with her that goes far beyond the loyalty of other troops. Often these women go on to serve as officers and generals, some might even be adopted into her own family.

The Companions are expert horsewomen, riding the best mounts and have the finest armour available. Each is armed with a good lance and a longsword for close combat. As heavy cavalry they can be a decisive arm of battle, and are able to deliver a devastating charge that can smash all but the strongest enemy formations. However, they do need to be careful - as with all cavalry - when attacking spearmen. Bravery is of little use when galloping straight onto a row of gleaming spear points!
    I have a few sprites to generate, and I am thinking of separating the EDU entries for the Valkyrja and Amazonia Generals. Then I will probably be releasing version 2.5. Most likely sometime this weekend.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 04-30-2009 at 17:58.

I have a bunch of screens that I took while looking to create a few new loading screens that showcased the Valkyrja Drakones, Berserkers, and Gorgon Elephants. I came out with some nice ones.

Drakon shield wall.

Valkyrja Late General's Bodyguard shooting at close range.

Valkyrja Late General's Bodyguard charges home!

Drakones vs. Chosen Axemen.

Valkyrja Berserkers charge.

Berserkers vs. Sacred Band.

Top of the world Ma!

Valkyrja Heavy Cavalry Chopping down the Night Raiders.

Poeni Bowling.

Elephant Mayhem.

There will be no dawn for men.

Gorgon Agema Axewomen vs. Carthaginian Sacred Band.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 05-13-2009 at 00:59.

Amazon: Total War version 2.5 is now out! For the moment you can download it at Filefront. The BI version is here, and the RTW version is here.

Saves from previous versions are not compatible with 2.5.

Here is a list of changes:

Version 2.5 (BI)
    • Many bug fixes, including one of Amazonian Chariots causing a ctd.
    • Used Signifer One's Animation pack to change all hoplite and similar troops to overhand attacks, removed their secondary weapons, and gave them shield wall rather than phalanx formation. Also used the animation pack to implement new animations for all archers and horse archers.
    • Added Temple of Demeter to Amazonia and the Valkyrja.
    • Changed name of Neo Themiskyra to Vanahemir and moved it to a new location, adding a new territory to the old location and giving it to the Valkyrja.
    • Created separate EDU entries for the Valkyrja units, giving them all snow bonuses and sand penalties, as well as allowing for tweaking of the unit descriptions of both Valkyrja and Amazonian units.
    • Added Mercenary Amazon Axewomen and Rebel Militia Axewomen to northern steppe region.
    • Renamed internal name of Roman faction to Slavs, removing the Senate tab and allowing for emergent hordes.
    • Added new territory of Gautar to Scandinavia.
    • Made farms destroyable.
    • Renamed Porrolissum to Sarmizgetusa and moved it adjacent to the mountains.

Version 2.5 (RTW)
    • Many bug fixes, including one of Amazonian Chariots causing a ctd.
    • Used Signifer One's Animation pack to implement new animations for all archers and horse archers.
    • Added Temple of Demeter to Amazonia and the Valkyrja.
    • Changed name of Neo Themiskyra to Vanahemir and moved it to a new location, adding a new territory to the old location and giving it to the Valkyrja.
    • Created separate EDU entries for the Valkyrja units, giving them all snow bonuses and sand penalties, as well as allowing for tweaking of the unit descriptions of both Valkyrja and Amazonian units.
    • Added Mercenary Amazon Axewomen and Rebel Militia Axewomen to northern steppe region.
    • Renamed internal name of Roman faction to Slavs, removing the Senate tab and allowing for emergent hordes.
    • Added new territory of Gautar to Scandinavia.
    • Made farms destroyable.
    • Renamed Porrolissum to Sarmizgetusa and moved it adjacent to the mountains.

###### of the Gladiators Member neo_deus's Avatar

I like the elephant screens very much!

Thank you deus. They are my favourites too. I made two of them into loading screens.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    The only real deviation from that are the Triarii, whom I did give the overhand attack and a shield wall. I am not sure if I want to do the same for the Infantry Auxilia. Right now I am thinking not.
    Triarii were essentially still just Roman hoplites for all intents and purposes, AFAIK, so they should have the overhand spears (and this is how EB depicts them). I agree with Luke and suggest keeping Infantry Auxilia and barbarian spear warbands paired up with the underhand animation to differentiate them from hoplites.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Triarii were essentially still just Roman hoplites for all intents and purposes, AFAIK, so they should have the overhand spears (and this is how EB depicts them). I agree with Luke and suggest keeping Infantry Auxilia and barbarian spear warbands paired up with the underhand animation to differentiate them from hoplites.
    Exactly how I implemented them!

I have recently learned of a CTD being caused when entering a battle with the Eastern culture foot Archers. This affects the BI version only. I have released a patch here that fixes it. The full version download has also been updated to 2.5b. Save games from BI 2.5 are compatible with BI 2.5b.

I have added reskins for the copy-cat Legionaries of Numidia, Armenia, and the Seleucids, courtesy of Medusa0.

Armenian Legionaries

Seleucids

Numidians

You can find Medusa's texture pack here.

I am now working on integrating Pinarius' horses. His horse textures are much, much better than those of vanilla. They also provide more variety in the appearance of different faction's horses.

It is going to be a lot of work however. He did not include sprites. So now I have to create new sprites for all the horses that have changed a shade in colour. That is at least half of all the horses in the game. Most likely three quarters when I am done.

Here are some samples of what I have have integrated so far:

The Valkyrja Medium Horse is a roan

All General's Horses are now white.

Most Heavy Horses are now black.

The Amazonian Medium Horse is a red.

The Sarmatian Light Horse is a grey-brown
    Last edited by SubRosa; 05-10-2009 at 04:56.

###### of the Gladiators Member neo_deus's Avatar

Oh, new horses! That's so nice! I've thought about that plenty of times, but with my artistic skills never even tried.

Same here. What I would really like to see is a Paint, but I am afraid to even try creating that.

I finished creating new sprites to go with the new horses. I have decided not to create new unit cards for every mounted unit that has changed their horse, as that would take forever. However, I probably will create new ones for the Amazon factions.

In the meantime, I have been playing with descr_lbc_db.txt in order to make the city views more interesting.

It is a very simple file to mod. You only have to add in the DMB entry of the units you want in the format you already see there. They do not even have to be units owned by the faction whose cities you are giving them to. Just do not try to add a mounted unit, as it will cause an immediate CTD. Also, units weapons will not be visible, but they will still walk around as if they are holding them. Shields are also still visible. So regular infantry units look strange. However, archer and crew units will walk around in a normal posture, as will generals and captains. So they are your best choices to use. I also found that mounts (without riders) work fine. So you can have horses, camels, elephants, dogs, pigs, etc... roaming around your cities.

So in version 2.6, expect to see views like this within your cities:

That is so Awesome! Elephants in Carthage, Dogs in the German towns, this will make the city view so much better!

Principate Total War

The only thing I did not add were pigs. Those seemed a bit much.

I found a bug today that causes a CTD when going into a battle with Female Gladiators. The sprite line is incorrect. You can fix it by going to Amazon\Data\Descr_Model_Battle.txt, do a search for female_gladiator, and then replace the two sprite lines with the following code:
    Code:
    model_sprite slave, 60.0, amazon/data/sprites/slave_female_gladiator_sprite.spr
    model_sprite slavs, 60.0, amazon/data/sprites/romans_senate_female_gladiator_sprite.spr
    I have also uploaded a patch that will do the same thing, look for links in the OP.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 05-17-2009 at 02:32.

Palantir's Lost Legion, and all of the LOTOR stuff of late in general, have gotten me thinking of an idea for ATW. Namely doing the Harry Turtledove misplaced legion idea in reverse. Instead of taking units from the regular world (that of Amazons ;)), and putting them in a fantasy world, why not take units from a fantasy world and pluck them into ATW?

So what I was thinking was at some future point when I have the time (yeah, right), of making a sub-mod of ATW that would replace one of the factions with one of Orcs and Black Numenoreans who were somehow transported from Middle Earth to regular Earth. Most likely I would replace Dacia, as they are the least interesting faction in ATW and have a good central location.

I would have to create a new culture for them, which does not thrill me as it was a lot of work doing that for the Amazons. But on the other hand I am sure I could get permission to use models and skins from the many LOTOR mods out there to fill out the unit roster.

It is an odd idea, and would never be part of the regular mod. But I think it would be fun to take Amazons against a horde of Orcs. Imagine Drakones vs. Uruks, Companions vs. Warg Riders, or Gorgon Elephants vs. Trolls?

Of course the tag line would have to be: "The Age of Women is over. The Age of the Orc has begun!"

I have updated the full version downloads of both BI and RTW with version 2.5c. So only people who have downloaded them previously will need to upgrade with the 2.5c path.

I finished working on Albion. I created two new Rebel territories and gave one from the Britons to them. I also renamed everything but Tara, and moved a few settlements around. Finally there is now a land-bridge between Scotland and Ireland. I am still not sure if I want to create one between the continent and the isles though. I am going to have to experiment with creating one and running some AI campaigns to see how it plays out.

I also plan to make a Rebel version of the Briton Slingers, so there is some more variety to their rebels. Maybe a few other units too.

Hopefully this will make the Britons more fun to play as. At least in the early game. Not to mention make it more interesting when you have to conquer them.

I am experimenting with a new unit info scene. Snowy grass. How does it look?

I have picked some low-hanging fruit this afternoon. Two new units, Rebel Briton Slingers and Latin Mercenaries (whose shield texture is courtesy of Halie Satanus).

Rebel Briton Slingers

Latin Mercenaries

I am thinking of doing a mercenary version of the slingers to make available in the British Isles, and maybe a mercenary barbarian archer for the continent as well.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 05-22-2009 at 22:56.

I have been working on the textures for the ground types in the campaign map, completely replacing the originals with textures from Medieval 2. I am still tweaking them a bit, but here is an example:

Last edited by SubRosa; 05-24-2009 at 22:57.

I have done some more tweaking to the ground textures, varying the shades of the swamp and fertility types to take out the yellows and browns and make them greener. I like how it has turned out.

The map is much more brighter and lively. The fertile areas are easy to tell, the darker the green the more fertile you are getting. When you get really dark it is a forest. All of the ground types really stand out now , making it much easier to tell if an area is swamp or wilderness or something else.

The Nile Valley really pops out against the desert.

The southern steppe shows the 3 basic fertility types. The northern half is low fertility, the area around Olbia is medium, and that around Tanais is high. The very neck of the Crimea is swamp

The Gauls now have natural camouflage, blending in with the background of the Po Valley.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 05-29-2009 at 21:37.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast