Thread: Favorite General/Admiral/Military leader?

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default Favorite General/Admiral/Military leader?

So, who's the favorite military leader of the era for you, personally?
    Remember that the game ends in 1800, so a number of the big figures of the Napoleonic Wars are out, simply because they didn't establish their careers.

As this was inspired by the other topic, where I mentioned Suvorov, I'm going to have to list him as my favorite.

Among numerous other accomplishments, he is one of the few generals in history to have never lost a battle, crossed the Alps, and managed some success against the French Revolutionaries (while crossing the Alps, no less :P). His soldiers apparently loved the man, and he gave us some great quotes to boot. The only real black mark against the man is that his policy of 'bayonets first' would get Russia into lots of trouble down the line, when they stuck with it up until the second world war.

The end of his career is really quite sad. Despite his amazing successes, the Tsar refused to even meet with him once he returned to St. Petersburg (after canceling a promised Roman-style military triumph), and he died a few days after that. Apparently Tsar Paul hated him because he was an ex-favorite (read: lover) of his mother (Catherine), who he really and truly hated.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Default Re: Favorite General/Admiral/Military leader?

Has to be Adm. Nelson

If I have to end it right at 1800, I'd say John Paul Jones.

If I can fudge it four years and pick a Lieutenant, though, I'd have to say Stephen Decatur rocks my socks. The man steals a Barbary ship, sneaks into Tripoli harbour with it, and scuttles the frigate Philadelphia that the Barbary Pirates had captured.

Even Nelson gave the man kudos for that one. :^)

Thumbs up Re: Favorite General/Admiral/Military leader?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheo
    Remember that the game ends in 1800, so a number of the big figures of the Napoleonic Wars are out, simply because they didn't establish their careers.
    I don't care what you say; NAPOLEON BONAPARTE!!! Vive la Revolution!!! Vive L'Empereur!!

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

I'll go with Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, commander of the French forces in North America during the Seven Years' War.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    So, who's the favorite military leader of the era for you, personally?

As this was inspired by the other topic, where I mentioned Suvorov, I'm going to have to list him as my favorite.

Among numerous other accomplishments, he is one of the few generals in history to have never lost a battle, crossed the Alps, and managed some success against the French Revolutionaries (while crossing the Alps, no less :P). His soldiers apparently loved the man, and he gave us some great quotes to boot. The only real black mark against the man is that his policy of 'bayonets first' would get Russia into lots of trouble down the line, when they stuck with it up until the second world war.

The end of his career is really quite sad. Despite his amazing successes, the Tsar refused to even meet with him once he returned to St. Petersburg (after canceling a promised Roman-style military triumph), and he died a few days after that. Apparently Tsar Paul hated him because he was an ex-favorite (read: lover) of his mother (Catherine), who he really and truly hated.

Well if Paul disliked him, then he must have been good for Russia.

I would say more about Paul, but the rules forbid it!

As to Favorites! Gosh, how do you pick just one!!!

So at that I will choose two. A Brit: Sir William Johnson and an American: George Rogers Clark.

But I seriously doubt that within the frame work of the game that either of these could make a mark as great as what they actually did in history. And even if that historical contribution is not well known.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

That would be Charles XII of Sweden and Napoleon Bonaparte of France.

Without any doubt the leaders that I admire most in history.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Morgan (American) and Tarleton (British). Ruthless bastards, both of them.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

So many great men. Napoleon and Friedrich the Great stand however above all others.
    "Silent enim leges inter arma - For among arms, the laws fall mute"
    Cicero, Pro Milone

Yup has to be Nelson for me too.

Frederick the Great, Marlborough, and Suvorov are my top three favorite Generals for the era. Nelson stands alone for Admirals.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero