Thread: descr_strat error

Default descr_strat error

Okay, so I was working in the descr_strat for Barbarian Invasion so I could make the Lombardi playable. I executed the normal process, highlighted the Lombardi, cut them from the non-playable section, clicked enter under the empire_west, taped Tab and pasted them. So I then go to save and this is where my problems occurs. I do not have much previous experience with the descr_strat for Rome: Total War as I usually work in Medieval 2: Total War yet, so I do not know whether my error is a mistake in which I saved the file. I clicked File and then Save, and this error message had shown up:

I triple checked and there were no spacing errors, I saved it under descr_strat.txt with the Unicode encoding yet this error message still shows. I tried numerous times, and tried on different encodings but to no avail. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Default Re: descr_strat error

Quote Originally Posted by attilavolciak07 View Post
    I clicked File and then Save, and this error message had shown up:

I triple checked and there were no spacing errors, I saved it under descr_strat.txt with the Unicode encoding yet this error message still shows. I tried numerous times, and tried on different encodings but to no avail. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
    Are you working in Win-Vista? It doesn't sound like a RTW problem, but that the original file is somehow write-protected. You're using notepad, so the error isn't actually within RTW itself.

That's where I'd make the first checks, before looking at a RTW specific problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Lysander View Post
    Are you working in Win-Vista?
    Yes, the label on my laptop says Windows Vista Basic.

It doesn't sound like a RTW problem, but that the original file is somehow write-protected. You're using notepad, so the error isn't actually within RTW itself.
    Is there any way to alter the original file so that it is not write-protected, or is this permanent?

Try turning off UAC under your user account options.
    RTR VII Developer

Alternately, you can do this: Save a copy of the file you want to modify to your desktop. Make your modifications to that file. Then take the file and copy it back over the original (so that you are replacing the original file with the edited one).
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!