Thread: Can't Get Shogun to work

The Couch Knight Member =NF=RuzSkullen's Avatar

Default Can't Get Shogun to work

I have Shogun, Medieval TW, (Both Original, And ERA's) but after installing both games, and trying to start it it completely drops. I have a 8800 GT VC, could it be this? I am a vet at these games. but I wonder if its the VC that doesn't recognize something, Please help. I wanna play these again.

Default Re: Can't Get Shougun to work

Are you running on Vista?

Do you have tried to reinstall the game(s)? Do both drop? When do they drop, does anything at all happen? Did you try to install the current patches?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Yeah, it could very well be your video card. The 8800 is notorious among Shogun and MTW players for being unable to run either game.
    Last edited by Martok; 12-13-2008 at 20:35. Reason: grammar
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Yeah, it could very well be your video card. The 8800 is notorious among Shogun and MTW players for being unable to run either game.
    Then that's it, and yes I have done it all, ie patches, I've played these games 4 hours on end, without patches. but ever since I got the 8800GT, I think its the VC, limited eye site, and it focuses on the Newer games. rats. thx 4 the response. btw what happens is it blacks out. and that's it. now I'm really sad.

Just get yourself an old PC. :) 1Ghz might do. ;)

Sorry, btw.

Default Re: Can't Get Shogun to work

Quote Originally Posted by patdj View Post
    Just get yourself an old PC. :) 1Ghz might do. ;)

Sorry, btw.
    LOL, thats what I was thinking, but its ok. I've finished off all the regular campaigns, and Expansion ones. hey Nice to meet ya patdj, seems like your new here to, And LOL I spelled Shogun wrong!

I remember people having issues with the intro video, that could be it. If you could disable it somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    I remember people having issues with the intro video, that could be it. If you could disable it somehow...
    Hey Sasaki, the strange thing is, it'll do everything else but when I get to loading up the game; it completely drops ie you know how the load up bar is at the bottom? it'll get past that part then, once the screen drops, it goes Black, now mind you this also occurs for Medieval also. (nice to meet you to Sasaki! am new here), So it has to be my VC, In the Forums at .com, it was suggested that I return my drivers back to the original version, but in that case I wouldn't be able to play all my Mods for RTW/M2/Kingdoms. very depressing to say the least.

Nice to meet you, too.

I have graphic problems, as well. Though not this grave ones:

The black parts just keep flickering. It's only sometimes and disappears on the next screen. Sometime the whole screen is flickering hard and gets normal where the cursor is moved over. Can literally paint then. This only happens on the menu screen. Ingame (campain map) it sometimes just turns black for half a second, and I'm shocked because last time I saved was over an hour ago, and then it returns.

Nothign grave, as I said. Only wanted to mention it because we were talking about graphic problems anyway, sorry for abusing your topic.

Did you try different Graphic settings at the options menu?

Quote Originally Posted by =NF=RuzSkullen View Post
    Hey Sasaki, the strange thing is, it'll do everything else but when I get to loading up the game; it completely drops ie you know how the load up bar is at the bottom? it'll get past that part then, once the screen drops, it goes Black, now mind you this also occurs for Medieval also. (nice to meet you to Sasaki! am new here), So it has to be my VC, In the Forums at .com, it was suggested that I return my drivers back to the original version, but in that case I wouldn't be able to play all my Mods for RTW/M2/Kingdoms. very depressing to say the least.
    Hi! I'm afraid I don't know the solution to your problem...there's a tech forum here that you might find an answer in if you search the old posts. Best of luck.

Nice to meet you, too.

https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/...raphicsks3.jpg

The black parts just keep flickering. It's only sometimes and disappears on the next screen. Sometime the whole screen is flickering hard and gets normal where the cursor is moved over. Can literally paint then. This only happens on the menu screen. Ingame (campain map) it sometimes just turns black for half a second, and I'm shocked because last time I saved was over an hour ago, and then it returns.

Nothign grave, as I said. Only wanted to mention it because we were talking about graphic problems anyway, sorry for abusing your topic.

Yup, I used to get this one all the time too. Only workaround I found was that sometimes alt-tabbing would fix it. Either that or paint over the whole thing with the cursor

Nice to meet you, too.

np, patdj tried everything. seems like I'm not the only one. must be with the new VC, they must render the "older games " incompatible in reading one of the scrips. dunno sad tho, I was looking at your thread, and I miss playing the game. lol

Yup, I used to get this one all the time too. Only workaround I found was that sometimes alt-tabbing would fix it. Either that or paint over the whole thing with the cursor
    Started the cursor thing, but takes time. I switched to writing Kanji. Is more fun and a lot faster.

Very sorry for you, Skullen. Could have brought some life in here if you would have joined the active players.

Started the cursor thing, but takes time. I switched to writing Kanji. Is more fun and a lot faster.

Very sorry for you, Skullen. Could have brought some life in here if you would have joined the active players.
    You guys have a way of playing MP on line? didn't think they had it going? or do you guys have a MP somewhere that is active? this is for Shogun right?

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Sorry guys, i`m just copying and pasting this post in here as this thread seems a little more active.

I`ve decided today to try playing a campaign on Shogun for the first time in about 4 years. However I dont want to jump in and suffer tonnes of problems that will only frustrate me and cause me to give up. Are there any major issues with Vista etc.

Perhaps any resident techies can help me? I have an Acer 5920G Laptop:

Windows Vista
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 - 2GHZ
    4GB DDR2
    ATI Radeon HD 3470 Graphics 256MB

Cheers in advance for any help.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Wishazu View Post
    Sorry guys, i`m just copying and pasting this post in here as this thread seems a little more active.

I`ve decided today to try playing a campaign on Shogun for the first time in about 4 years. However I dont want to jump in and suffer tonnes of problems that will only frustrate me and cause me to give up. Are there any major issues with Vista etc.

Perhaps any resident techies can help me? I have an Acer 5920G Laptop:

Windows Vista
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 - 2GHZ
    4GB DDR2
    ATI Radeon HD 3470 Graphics 256MB

Cheers in advance for any help.

Well, thats what I was gonna do Wishazu (btw nice to meet you too!), I wanna get back into playing BOTH STW/MTW, just because they R so fun, on the NF Forum, and in .com, it seems that has been a problem with the NEWER VC, I've been digging around your Tech Threads, and found this was occurring with other members. The STW alt tab, I haven't tried, I will re install and try it, as for MTW, I will try to change the two files that was mentioned and see what happens. Thanks for the info, wish me luck!

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

'Minimal Installation', perhaps? Or just deleting/moving the files?

You guys have a way of playing MP on line? didn't think they had it going? or do you guys have a MP somewhere that is active? this is for Shogun right?
    We played quite some games on 'fakeservers' long after the original servers were shut down. The last games I had were 1,5 year ago. My new computer won't let me log in to a server and that was pretty much the end for me. Last year there's hasn't been much activity altogether, but there's still a fakeserver. If two people want to play and their computers allow them, why not.

The black flickering problem is well known. Many people have it. Me too. It just start after a while of doing nothing in a menu? Alt-Tab to windows and go into shogun again. Then it's away, but it appears again in seconds... Removing it with the mouse is only temporary aswell. Af far as I know, no solution is known on these forums, so there's no help I'm afraid. Yet, it doesn't ruin any fun anyway. ;)
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -