Thread: Siege- 1st turn

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Siege- 1st turn

look what happened to me:

I never saw the AI build equipment in the first turn of the siege. I play with RTW 1.5, no submods except FD.

Anybody out there who knows whats going on?

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Default Re: Siege- 1st turn

Do you mean they built that ram on the same turn they sieged the settlement, or did already press the "End Turn" button when they were sieging that city? That could also be called the first turn of the siege, couldn't it?

Occansionally the AI armies get a ram immediately upon sieging. They can actually take settlements by surprise this way, which I've had happen to me twice in my Getai campaign.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

hmmm... I don't knwo Aemilius Paulus if I understand you correct...

I ended my turn
    The Epirotes sieged the city
    My turn

And they had a ram!!!! This is the point, AFAIK the AI is not able to produce siege equipment at the first turs of a siege.

But likebovi is claiming that they get them by "accident", this could be the point.....

@bovi
    they did immediately attack without elephants or catapulae???
    that is crazy stuff

XSamatan

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Occansionally the AI armies get a ram immediately upon sieging. They can actually take settlements by surprise this way, which I've had happen to me twice in my Getai campaign.
    Yeah, that happens to me when the gates are already opened. Usually it's the reinforcing army that brings the rams, though.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    But likebovi is claiming that they get them by "accident"
    No. I said it happens occasionally, not that it is an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    they did immediately attack without elephants or catapulae???
    that is crazy stuff
    Not so much crazy stuff as something you need to pay heed to. It's not crazy at all to get a ram hastily constructed and attack swiftly when you see that the defenders are almost nonexistent. It's almost crazy not to.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

sry I must have missunderstood you, english is not my first language...

I was surprised, because in all my five years of RTW&EB I never saw the AI build up siege equipment at the first turn!

Good to know the RTW engine is able to surprise me after so long time...

XSamatan

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I don't understand the problem here. How is this the first turn? They would have beseiged you then their turn ended and their seige equipment was built, had they seiged and attacked on the AI turn then you would have something to complain about. If you seige a city and order equipment built, then the AI sallies forth you will notice your equipment is there. It's exactly the same for the AI, as soon as the "end turn" their equipment will be built.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Apparently not... bovi and XSamatan both have proof, and usually two is too much to be a coincidence. Plus, bovi is the EB bug hunter, and I do not doubt his judgment in such matters.

They occasionally get one ram immediately after laying siege, before the turn ends.

================
    ================

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I don't doubt bovi, my point is there is nothing wrong in the screenshot XSamatan posted. It's his turn, not the AI turn.

Why, right you are. I didn't spot that.

================
    ================

What I-am trying to figure out is, that it is very rare that the AI builds siege equipment in the first turn of the siege...look at your campaigns, all the time a AI army is sieging a city it will not build siege equipment at their first turn but on their second turn, so the army will attack you at your second turn and on the third turn of the AI. Correct me if I am wrong here, but that is the point for me.
    I never saw an sieging AI army witch an immediately build ram, that is what I wanted to discuss here.
    And bovi pointed the solution as he said that the AI gets them "occasionally".

I hope its clear now,

XSamatan

hmm, something like that happened in my campaign as the aedui just recently. i can't recall the specifics, but i believe an epeirote army attacked a fort guarding the approaches to patavium in the BCE250s; instead of the usual grace period they assaulted immediately with a ram (this army didn't have elephants). i was somewhat taken aback, and ended up losing patavium (which has not been regained) and mediolanum (being bribed away only temporarily and subsequently sacked for it's perfidity!).

it was a little irritating as my small northern italian detachment was fighting off waves of romans at the time, and a slight delay to the epeirote advance would've given me the time to relieve the siege of patavium. as it was, the result was an interesting and surprising little setback, something which i think the game actually needs more of...

(i've actually had to reconquer the northern po valley twice so far...)