hi

just thinking a good think for the next patch would be supply lines.

for example i have a province that is either totally landlocked by enemy units or on a coastline with no ports.

now the province is say for example a 200 koku province'but i have 600 guys on it.
how could these guys be supplied the extra 400 koku needed??

i think they should wither on the vine and gradually starve down to the 200 guys allowed.the only way to stop this would be to connect the affected province back up to other provinces belonging to the same army or to have a port(also the provinces that would supply affected province would need a port too)

it would be a pain in the rear if your provinces were scattered all over the place'but a common sense pain in the rear.
there are many cases of supply problems and protracted sieges in japan including a famous one where ieyasu brought in supplies to a beleagured garrison.

i am playing an expert campain just now'and the imagawa have all of kyushu far to the west.the only place they have on honshu is totomi and it's jammed pack with a couple of thousand troops!!!
now this is on a province maybe only capable of a few hundred koku per year.
but i don't have a problem with this as i'm sure he has a port on totomi and i'm pretty sure he will have at least 1 port on the whole of kyushu'so getting supplies to him will not be a problem.

however if he had no ports in either place then i would start to smell bs and thats when i think a garrison should start to starve unless he can make a connection to another of his provinces either by land or sea.

so you could have several pockets of troops for example 7 pockets made up of 7 x 3 provinces all seperated by land borders for example.

the pockets are koku independant of 1 another and can only supply the troops in their own pocket.

the next shot one of the pockets captures a province which also joins it on to another of the pockets.this is now a 7 province pocket and all troops in this pocket can be fed by the total koku value of these 7 provinces'but this may be good or bad still depending on how many troops/koku these 7 provinces allow.

anyway it's just theory and would be a pain in the bum in a massively fractured army'but it's commeon sense!!!!
how can a 200 province supply 3000 troops sitting on it when there are no other connected friendly provinces to supply rice to the remaining 2800 troops.

hach