Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Preparation Do You Do For Backroom Debates?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default How Much Preparation Do You Do For Backroom Debates?

Well? For me its 0-5 minutes. Which I know may surprise most of you as I am always right. I read everything on here though, mostly because I hate homework and defensive driving.

To be honest I really just take libertarian talking points add a bit of personal attack and go from there
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : How Much Preparation Do You Do For Backroom Debates?

A journalist once asked how Picasso how he dared to charge so much for a painting that takes five minutes of work. Picasso replied that none of his works took him five minutes, but that all of them took him his whole lifetime.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: Re : How Much Preparation Do You Do For Backroom Debates?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    A journalist once asked how Picasso how he dared to charge so much for a painting that takes five minutes of work. Picasso replied that none of his works took him five minutes, but that all of them took him his whole lifetime.
    So SFTS=Picasso? I think you're shortchanging me sweetheart

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Default Re: How Much Preparation Do You Do For Backroom Debates?

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Well? For me its 0-5 minutes. Which I know may surprise most of you as I am always right.

Oh, Strike, you are the Picasso of Libertarianism.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

i prepare nothing
    i guess it shows as well...
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Prepare? I can't say that I do - except that I read things randomly and try to remember them when I argue
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Prepare? I can't say that I do - except that I read things randomly and try to remember them when I argue
    Yes. When I need sources, Google and Wiki are fairly useful, especially since I can always remember the keywords in the page I'm looking for.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In a two vs two debate, my usual style is to go second, after the opponent. Present a argument which fails miserably and then let the opponents second guy attack me from all direction. Gently smile at the judges and let my partner attack how my opponents been personal attacking me and not presenting any arguments.

Basically... I suck at debates and thus why I will not do any back room debates.. Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Seeing as I usually only argue things I actually already believe I have done most of my preperation in advance. I will, however, research things during a debate - though I wouldn't spend more than 10-15 minutes unless I am really passionate about something.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Well? For me its 0-5 minutes. Which I know may surprise most of you as I am always right. I read everything on here though, mostly because I hate homework and defensive driving.

To be honest I really just take libertarian talking points add a bit of personal attack and go from there
    Any larger and your body will not be able to support your head....

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    Any larger and your body will not be able to support your head....
    There is a reason I'm an 1/8th of a ton

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

I don't know that I would call these debates... More like a group of people reading themselves write at each other.

My kingdom for a .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    I don't know that I would call these debates... More like a group of people reading themselves write at each other.
    Just cuase you aint smart like me dont mean you can hate

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

There is a reason I'm an 1/8th of a ton
    I didn't want to add that, but you read my mind.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar

Just cuase you aint smart like me dont mean you can hate

I disagree. It doesn't matter how many paint chips I ate in my youth; it is my right as a natural born citizen of the United Sates of America to do all the noncriminal and reasonably ethical hatin' I want to.

My kingdom for a .

I disagree. It doesn't matter how many paint chips I ate in my youth; it is my right as a natural born citizen of the United Sates of America to do all the noncriminal and reasonably ethical hatin' I want to.
    wait.....paint chips are bad for you?

wait.....paint chips are bad for you?

See, this is why you need more than 5 minutes of research!

You can only eat the sour cream and onion paint chips. And the cool ranch flavored ones are instant death. My best friend in the fourth grade's head instantly exploded after he ate one.

My kingdom for a .

I guess a politics degree counts.

Hmmm, prolly not!
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

If I need to prepare for a debate, I'll usually stay out of it and read what other people say, their sources and their arguments. When the need arise, I'll look for a source/link/proof but I wouldn't call that preparation...

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I tend to avoid debate if i don't know what i am talking about, its usually about my beliefs if i do debate rather than paticular facts and figures...

If its something im really intrested in i will do a bit of research, never over 10-15 minutes... unless were talking drug policy
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

prepare?

I just write down whatever the goblins screaming in my head say....doesn´t everybody??
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Varies, mostly it's quite short, but if there's a subject that requires a lot of reading and researching I've working on one post for 2-3 hours, althuogh even a researched subject is usually shorter (takes way too much time to get such a post).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

See, this is why you need more than 5 minutes of research!

You can only eat the sour cream and onion paint chips. And the cool ranch flavored ones are instant death. My best friend in the fourth grade's head instantly exploded after he ate one.
    Was the fourth grade's head ok after your best friend exploded? And what was your best friend doing in the fourth grade's head in the first place?

Preparation is for wusses.
    I usually just adopt Tribesman's opinion.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I use Preparation H all the time. Just a dab will do ya!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I don't do specific research just because I'm going to make a post, so I suppose the answer would be none.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

To paraphrase Wilson,

If I'm to post something short and poignant, I will require a fair bit of time to compose it.

If I'm to post something of moderate length that adds to the discussion, I'll need a few minutes to skull it out and a little quick googling for sources.

If I'm to blather on for pages, I am ready now.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Read the Telegraph.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Was the fourth grade's head ok after your best friend exploded? And what was your best friend doing in the fourth grade's head in the first place?
    I'm sorry, I only speak Franglish. I don't quite get it.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Must be all those paint chips I've been eating in preperation for this thread.

My kingdom for a .

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : How Much Preparation Do You Do For Backroom Debates?

Absolutely no sources, as they only hinder you and might actually disprove your point.

Pretend to have read the article linked in the first message, but never actually read it. I have enough crap to read without bothering with some crappy British tabloid article.

A lot of radical anti-[insert anything you want] nonsense.

An ironic smiley to conclude my nonsense, and I'm done.

When I write, my main issue is to make somewhat understand-able english sentences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast